If you asked.....

pmctaggart08

If you asked a stranger how are you or something similar (generic greeting) and they said bad would you....

A. Ask what the problem is

B. Say that sucks and walk away

C. Mama said not to talk to strangers

Discuss thanx

Inb4pole

Good question.

Im going to be completely honest and say I'd probably just say "that's too bad" and walk away. Cold and heartless thing to do maybe but it is what it is.

I mean im a nice enough person, i do like helping people and all but i don't really have time or trust for a strangers problems and im not one to be taken advantage of either.

All of my sociology class didn't care and I was the only one who would and its to be expected as the results show here

I just thought ppl would care but I guess it is a special thing to care for everyone

Yeah, it has to do with caring to a small degree. I think the bigger issue is the ACTUAL meaning of "how are you" as you are passing someone by. The purpose of the greeting from what society views is purely to be polite with no expected dialogue passed between either party. Most people are not as literal when using "how are you" when passing someone by. Personally, I use the meaning as literal and I would rather care how someone is doing. That's why I wouldn't even say a single thing to a stranger if I am passing them by. I really do not care about them at all and I have no problem with that.

However, the people I do know - I will give them all of my attention and effort. It's one of the quirky attributes that makes me who I am.

Nearly everybody replies with "good" when asked how they are' date=' so whenever I hear that nondescript single word answer I say "that's no good" just to see how they react.

So if someone replied with "bad", I'd probably reply with something like "that's good".[/quote']

Exactly, because "how are you" when passing someone by has the implied context socially of a meaningless response in return. The whole act has implications of an attempt to be polite from acknowledging a person's presence.

Yeah' date=' it has to do with caring to a small degree. I think the bigger issue is the ACTUAL meaning of "how are you" as you are passing someone by. The purpose of the greeting from what society views is purely to be polite with no expected dialogue passed between either party. Most people are not as literal when using "how are you" when passing someone by. Personally, I use the meaning as literal and I would rather care how someone is doing. That's why I wouldn't even say a single thing to a stranger if I am passing them by. I really do not care about them at all and I have no problem with that.

However, the people I do know - I will give them all of my attention and effort. It's one of the quirky attributes that makes me who I am.[/quote']

Yeah i use the how you doing, good morning, good night etc. if im passing by someone but it's just to be polite like you said and i don't really take it literally. It's just like a common courtesy acknowledging hey here's another human being but i don't want to become friends with them and i definitely don't wanna hear thier problems or what they want ME to do about it.

In crowded areas i go on about my business it would be silly saying hello, hello hello in a place like NY or some crowded market etc. but if im passing a stranger in my neighborhood i'll acknowledge them.

to me when I ask someone how they are and they just respond "good u?" i know they took the gesture as meaningless and i leave it at that. however if they respond with anything else i know they would like to talk. for example if they "really good" i know something really good happened and now i kinda want to hear what. i do not ask how someone is if i don't care to hear anything else. ireserve "hey what's up" as my pointless passerby comment or i don't say anything all and just smile at them.

Yeah i use the how you doing' date=' good morning, good night etc. if im passing by someone but it's just to be polite like you said and i don't really take it literally. It's just like a common courtesy acknowledging hey here's another human being but i don't want to become friends with them and i definitely don't wanna hear thier problems or what they want ME to do about it.

In crowded areas i go on about my business it would be silly saying hello, hello hello in a place like NY or some crowded market etc. but if im passing a stranger in my neighborhood i'll acknowledge them.[/quote']

to me when I ask someone how they are and they just respond "good u?" i know they took the gesture as meaningless and i leave it at that. however if they respond with anything else i know they would like to talk. for example if they "really good" i know something really good happened and now i kinda want to hear what. i do not ask how someone is if i don't care to hear anything else. ireserve "hey what's up" as my pointless passerby comment or i don't say anything all and just smile at them.

This is how most people would act because of their reasoning. It has very little to do with how caring you are as a person or what personal experiences you've been through.

This is how most people would act because of their reasoning. It has very little to do with how caring you are as a person or what personal experiences you've been through.

I never really put much thought into tbh. Most of the time i don't say anything but sometimes i do especially if they acknowledge me first.

To me replying with anything other than good means they want to talk about why they are not doing well. The fact that it is a stranger is saying this means they really want/need to talk about it and I would be glad to try to help

That's a very endearing aspect of you. Although, as StompGrind mentioned earlier, it also depends on the context - are you and a stranger passing by in a big crowded area or it's just you and that stranger. If it's a big crowded area, would you react the same way as if it's just you and that stranger? Just more food for thought.

That's a very endearing aspect of you. Although' date=' as StompGrind mentioned earlier, it also depends on the context - are you and a stranger passing by in a big crowded area or it's just you and that stranger. If it's a big crowded area, would you react the same way as if it's just you and that stranger? Just more food for thought.[/quote']

I would because nobody should feel bad

:)

Let's be real here. You should only really focus on how you feel and how your loved ones feel.

You can't go out and save everyone like a one man Unicef bringing joy and happiness to the happy deprived.

I think it's also dependent on age for things like this. Younger people will truly feel that every person can be happy or should be happy. Older people may be more realistic.

I think it's also dependent on age for things like this. Younger people will truly feel that every person can be happy or should be happy. Older people may be more realistic.

Why the **** does everyone keep acting like im in my 50's just because I know who Rick Rude is?:mad:

Im 30....31 in a couple weeks.

I still make it to the bathroom on time and I don't have E.D

Let's be real here. You should only really focus on how you feel and how your loved ones feel.

You can't go out and save everyone like a one man Unicef bringing joy and happiness to the happy deprived.

Exactly but i'd be willing to help a friend or a good neighbor out if they really needed it and i had the means and time to do so.

Why the **** does everyone keep acting like im in my 50's just because I know who Rick Rude is?:mad:

Im 30....31 in a couple weeks.

I still make it to the bathroom on time and I don't have E.D

Haha' date=' I didn't say you were old. I said, that question is age dependent. I'm the same age as you. I view the issue of "well, I want to help everyone/everyone should be happy" type of attitude as a youthful attribute. When people get older, they have more opportunity via experiences to understand the reality of the situation - not everyone is going to be happy in society and that's OK.

This is in reference to:

Haha' date=' I didn't say you were old. I said, that question is age dependent. I'm the same age as you. I view the issue of "well, I want to help everyone/everyone should be happy" type of attitude as a youthful attribute. When people get older, they have more opportunity via experiences to understand the reality of the situation - not everyone is going to be happy in society and that's OK.[/quote']

Im happy in society, and that's ok by me.

You nailed it i'm 20 lol but I am going into psychiatry so I doubt it would change

I feel like you are probably very passionate about helping other people out, which is a very good thing - not taking anything away from that. There are three to four issues with this, that I hope you can address within yourself:

Are you okay with the amount of education you are going to need to be competitive within that field?

Are you okay with the amount of compensation you will be getting for the amount of work you will be putting in for this field?

Are you okay with working with people on a CONTINUOUS basis (for not months, but years upon years upon years - because this is a career choice and not a job) who are depressed (sometimes, extremely depressed) and you are there to guide them? A follow up for this question - will that affect you in a harmful way that you will be depressed by hearing such emotional stories day after day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year because this is your career choice. <--- this is the part that I think most younger people do not think in detail about how it will affect them.

If you have done the research for all these questions and you are sincere with yourself, then I wish you the best of luck and keep up the good work, man.

I feel like you are probably very passionate about helping other people out' date=' which is a very good thing - not taking anything away from that. There are three to four issues with this, that I hope you can address within yourself:

Are you okay with the amount of education you are going to need to be competitive within that field?

Are you okay with the amount of compensation you will be getting for the amount of work you will be putting in for this field?

Are you okay with working with people on a CONTINUOUS basis (for not months, but years upon years upon years - because this is a career choice and not a job) who are depressed (sometimes, extremely depressed) and you are there to guide them? A follow up for this question - will that affect you in a harmful way that you will be depressed by hearing such emotional stories day after day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year because this is your career choice. <--- this is the part that I think most younger people do not think in detail about how it will affect them.

If you have done the research for all these questions and you are sincere with yourself, then I wish you the best of luck and keep up the good work, man.[/quote']

I answered yes to all and I have already seen most mental illnesses and it can be scary but its great because it showed me that it can get better

I appreciate you kind thoughts :)

I answered yes to all and I have already seen most mental illnesses and it can be scary but its great because it showed me that it can get better

I appreciate you kind thoughts :)

You're the man. I hope you maintain that positive attitude your entire life. It'll be tough, but I hope you do it.

You're the man. I hope you maintain that positive attitude your entire life. It'll be tough' date=' but I hope you do it.[/quote']

the goal of my life is to help ppl to the best of my abilities and I know im just one person but as long as I try I will be happy knowing I tried my best and that's all I could do

the goal of my life is to help ppl to the best of my abilities and I know im just one person but as long as I try I will be happy knowing I tried my best and that's all I could do

Yeah, I figured. I hear that a lot from many different people. It's one thing to say what you are saying, even if you are sincere with yourself to truly mean it. Once you are actually trying to assist people, it may get depressing which is what StompGrind, Ravishing_Rick_Rude and myself are trying to say - we're just trying to give you a head's up of what most people will expect within this career choice path. That's why you can't lose your positive attitude at any time when you're actually trying to make a difference on a consistent basis for years upon years.