HOORAY! No more spitting in the ring!

the_kiddo

I remember my very first post here a couple of years ago.

The subject of that post had to do with fighters spitting on the floor in the fighting area. I felt that should stopped.

One of the things I did in that post was to point out not only was spitting a danger for a fighter because of a possible slippage, followed by a possible injury, but also from the stand point of just plain basic hygiene.

Believe it or not, I recall sending Dana White a letter on this subject. This was how strongly I was against spitting in the ring. I encouraged Dana White to impose rules against doing this. It would have been nice, but I never got a response from Dana White.

Also, I think I expressed in that initial post the UFC needed to keep the ring as clean as possible between rounds. And any blood on the floor should be cleaned up. Perhaps, the UFC will start doing that as well or put more effort into doing this, if they are doing it. What UFC fighter wants their face planted in someone else's blood.

I am very happy to see there is no spitting during fights in the UFC now. It is really gratifying to know my initial post could have been a factor and perhaps influenced Dana White, referees, UFC fighters, ring officials, other concerned UFC fans, and VIPs in the UFC in making this nasty habit of spitting in the ring against the rules. At least, I don't see fighters spitting in the fighting area now, as opposed to a couple of years ago.

Good job to those who made this change possible. I know the UFC fighters appreciate it.

And, no, I am not a UFC fighter, just in case you were wondering.

Dana White has no control over the rules and regulations set out by the athletic commission.

You make a very good point.

However, Dana White sure has a hell of a lot of influence, doesn't he?

If Dana White wants something done and it's for the welfare and safety of the fighters, more than likely he is going to get what he asks for.

You make a very good point.

However' date=' Dana White sure has a hell of a lot of influence, doesn't he?

If Dana White wants something done and it's for the welfare and safety of the fighters, more than likely he is going to get what he asks for.[/quote']

Doubt it hes been been begging for steve mazzagatti to be cut for years :D

BJ-licking-blood.bmp

I always felt BJ Penn doing this was one of the nastiest, filthiest,craziest things a person could do to themselves. And just think of all of the youngsters he may have influenced and are now doing the same thing.

Perhaps, it was all for show. But it was very gross. I wouldn't be at all surprised if BJ Penn seriously regrets this behavior.

Other than this, I will always respect BJ Penn.

Jorge?

Nope. Not Jorge.

But if I sound like Jorge, it's really nice to know someone out there thinks a lot the way I do. And where there is one, there are more than likely many, many others with the same opinion I have on this subject.

It would really be great if UFC fighters were given a survey and asked what their feelings were on the subject.

People spit' date=' bleed, blow their nose, in the octagon all the time so idk what ur talking about.[/quote']

Of course, there is going to be bleeding during fights. But clean it up and disinfect it between rounds. How long does it take to do something like that? Just about a minute and a half, with 2 people on it.

Everything else you mentioned should be done while in your corner between rounds, not while fighting.

It's so easy for someone to make light of such a subject. But I just wonder what your feelings would be if you were a UFC fighter and your face was planted in someone else's yuck. Wouldn't feel so care free about it then, would you?

These fighters certainly have enough to think about than to have to wonder to themselves:

' man! that was nasty what that guy just did! he just coughed up a big one and spat over there somewhere! I can't go near that area! If I do, I may just slip in it, get caught with a ripping left hook and loose the fight all because of this fool spitting '

Yeah, I know. I really sound as though I have been there and done that. Or maybe I sound as though I am a relative of UFC fighter. No to each one.

I am just an every day guy who can put himself in the place of others. Some of you should try this sometimes.

It really makes you feel good about yourself and a big cut above many others.

Nope. Not Jorge.

But if I sound like Jorge' date=' it's really nice to know someone out there thinks a lot the way I do. And where there is one, there are more than likely many, many others with the same opinion I have on this subject.

It would really be great if UFC fighters were given a survey and asked what their feelings were on the subject.[/quote']

Blood, saliva, sweat...

What's the difference?

They're all gross IMO, lol...

Outside of the fact they can slip in the water the fighters spit out of their mouths inbetween rounds, there's really no problem...

Of course' date=' there is going to be bleeding during fights. But clean it up and disinfect it between rounds. How long does it take to do something like that? Just about a minute and a half, with 2 people on it.

Everything else you mentioned should be done while in your corner between rounds, not while fighting.

It's so easy for someone to make light of such a subject. But I just wonder what your feelings would be if you were a UFC fighter and your face was planted in someone else's yuck. Wouldn't feel so care free about it then, would you?

These fighters certainly have enough to think about than to have to wonder to themselves:

' man! that was nasty what that guy just did! he just coughed up a big one and spat over there somewhere! I can't go near that area! If I do, I may just slip in it, get caught with a ripping left hook and loose the fight all because of this fool spitting '

Yeah, I know. I really sound as though I have been there and done that. Or maybe I sound as though I am a relative of UFC fighter. No to each one.

I am just an every day guy who can put himself in the place of others. Some of you should try this sometimes.

It really makes you feel good about yourself and a big cut above many others.[/quote']

Yes, you really seem to know your stuff... Of course the fighters are a lot more concerned where the nose was blown and where the spit landed than the left hook and the jab from the opponent that always seem to hit their face... A logical conclusion...

And don't you know that the cleanliness-frenzy is getting us sicker? Bacteria is dangerous if you haven't been exposed to them, exposure builds resistance.

An educated guess would be that the Howie Mandels of the world just won't get down and dirty with sweaty men in an octagon in the first place, so I really don't think you need to be all that concerned about the fighters and their bacteria...

I always felt BJ Penn doing this was one of the nastiest' date=' filthiest,craziest things a person could do to themselves. And just think of all of the youngsters he may have influenced and are now doing the same thing.

Perhaps, it was all for show. But it was very gross. I wouldn't be at all surprised if BJ Penn seriously regrets this behavior.

Other than this, I will always respect BJ Penn.[/quote']

lol im a big Penn fan and the first time i saw him do it i was like ewww xD but hey w/e floats your boat i guess :D

I always felt BJ Penn doing this was one of the nastiest' date=' filthiest,craziest things a person could do to themselves. And just think of all of the youngsters he may have influenced and are now doing the same thing.

Other than this, I will always respect BJ Penn.[/quote']

No worries, he will never win again, so he will never do it again.

Doubt it hes been been begging for steve mazzagatti to be cut for years :D

You know something Solomma1, I couldn't help but think the reason you said this was because of that fight in which Anderson Silva fight was disqualified. Wasn't it Mazzagatti who disqualified Silva? And wasn't the disqualification for something very petty? I forgot who his opponent was.

In fact, wouldn't you say the most Silva should have gotten was a warning or even a possible point taken away.

If you don't know specifically why White wants Mazzagatti gone, perhaps, just maybe this was the reason.

And if it had not been for that disqualification, wouldn't Silva be undefeated now? I think he would be.

Blood' date=' saliva, sweat...

What's the difference?

They're all gross IMO, lol...

Outside of the fact they can slip in the water the fighters spit out of their mouths inbetween rounds, there's really no problem...[/quote']

How much of a problem is there to clean up the cage, the octagon or the ring between rounds? It just takes less than a minute and a half, if that long, using two people.

Clean up all the blood and anything else and use a non-irritating disinfectant in addition. What is so difficult about that.

Here is a question for you. You are a senior member, so maybe you know. I really don't know the answer. If you don't know maybe someone else reading this can tell me.

I would like to know are UFC fighters blood tested for the HIV AIDS virus, on a regular bases?

If not, the UFC ought to hang its head in shame.

Of course' date=' there is going to be bleeding during fights. But clean it up and disinfect it between rounds. How long does it take to do something like that? Just about a minute and a half, with 2 people on it.

It's so easy for someone to make light of such a subject. But I just wonder what your feelings would be if you were a [b']UFC fighter and your face was planted in someone else's yuck.[/b] Wouldn't feel so care free about it then, would you?

It really makes you feel good about yourself and a big cut above many others.

Really? ROFL..

You should get back to placing your silverware with your white gloves on bro. I'm sure your keyboard and telephone are spotless as well. Fighters get a lot more Yuck on them than you could even handle in a gym.

Yes' date=' you really seem to know your stuff... Of course the fighters are a lot more concerned where the nose was blown and where the spit landed than the left hook and the jab from the opponent that always seem to hit their face... A logical conclusion...

And don't you know that the cleanliness-frenzy is getting us sicker? Bacteria is dangerous if you haven't been exposed to them, exposure builds resistance.

An educated guess would be that the Howie Mandels of the world just won't get down and dirty with sweaty men in an octagon in the first place, so I really don't think you need to be all that concerned about the fighters and their bacteria...[/quote']

OK. You say not to be concerned about fighters and their bacteria. I know what I am about to say doesn't have anything to do with my discussion on the subject so far.

However, here is a situation for you: You are a fighter in the UFC. Your opponent has the HIV virus. He is on top of you. You open your mouth and a drop of his blood lands in your mouth. You now have contracted HIV. We are talking life and death here. You still don't think a fighter's bacteria, in this case a virus, is a problem? We are talking life and death here.

I asked someone else if the UFC tests fighters for the AIDS virus. Would you happen to know?

Now, I know as most of you know you can't contract AIDS from blood on the floor and your mouth happens to be open and you get that blood smeared inside of it. At least, this is what they are telling us. So I am not implying otherwise.

Really? ROFL..

You should get back to placing your silverware with your white gloves on bro. I'm sure your keyboard and telephone are spotless as well. Fighters get a lot more Yuck on them than you could even handle in a gym.

Speaking of gloves, you always see referees with rubber gloves on. Have you ever thought of why?

Your are right. I probably couldn't handle what goes on in most gyms. But does such a place have to be a breeding ground for bacteria, viruses and who knows what else.

The answer is: no, it certainly does not.

Sometimes, I get the impression from some the filthier and less health aware you are, the more manly and macho you are. Do you get that impression also ?

You know something Solomma1' date=' I couldn't help but think the reason you said this was because of that fight in which Anderson Silva fight was disqualified. Wasn't it Mazzagatti who disqualified Silva? And wasn't the disqualification for something very petty? I forgot who his opponent was.

In fact, wouldn't you say the most Silva should have gotten was a warning or even a possible point taken away.

If you don't know specifically why White wants Mazzagatti gone, perhaps, just maybe this was the reason.

And if it had not been for that disqualification, wouldn't Silva be undefeated now? I think he would be.[/quote']

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hi6bdnbVc-k

No' date=' I just don't understand why you would watch a sport like this if you were a germaphobe. I know plenty of slobs that aren't manly. I don't even know why I'm responding to this right now.[/quote']

Let me tell you why you are responding.

You are responding because, even though you want to attempt to minimize my position on this subject, you realize just how important what I am saying truly is.

Next, you really don't want the UFC organization, UFC fighters, and the UFC fans to really give a damn about the health and welfare of those who participate in this sport.

For people with your mentality, it would not surprise me in the least if you actually don't look at UFC fighters as real people, but rather as simply objects for your own personal amusement and entertainment.

Once again, all I am saying is the following:

(1) clean up the floor fighting area between rounds and use very mild disinfectant;

(2) each UFC fighter should be regularly checked for HIV virus; and,

(3) no spitting in the fighting area. spit into a container between rounds. spitting in the fighting area has been, is and will always be an act of gross disrespect, not only for everyone involved, but for yourself as well.

Lastly, why should someone be referred to as a 'germaphobe' for only suggesting to seriously consider doing something about the concerns I have mentioned?

You don't have a clue, do you?

It really makes you feel good about yourself and a big cut above many others.[/quote']

My point wasn't that it wasn't gross my point was I dont see any change that you seem to be so excited about guy

(1) clean up the floor fighting area between rounds and use very mild disinfectant;

(2) each UFC fighter should be regularly checked for HIV virus; and' date='

(3) no spitting in the fighting area. spit into a container between rounds. spitting in the fighting area has been, is and will always be an act of gross disrespect, not only for everyone involved, but for yourself as well.

Lastly, why should someone be referred to as a 'germaphobe' for only suggesting to seriously consider doing something about the concerns I have mentioned?

You don't have a clue, do you?[/quote']

(1) Cleaning the octagon that often with a mild disinfectant would likely cause more resistant and more virulent strains of infections.

(2) I would tend to think fighters when they are medically cleared for their fight have been checked for infectious diseases

(3) If you've been punched in the mouth and nose repeatedly and have blood, saliva, and mucus built up - you're gonna spit it out so you can breath.