Was the American response to 9/11 justified?

chons

Our response was completely overblown.

Instead of 200k troops being deployed with all sorts of air power, blanket bombing campaigns, etc. We should have just sent in several small very well trained teams to find the hideouts and cells and kill just the people planning **** like this.

Why bomb a whole ****en country, or two, or three?

25000+ innocent Afghan/Iraqi civilians have died in the last 9 years because of how we choose to "fight terrorism".

Collateral damage is okay, innocent civilians getting blown to bits is okay, I guess, so long as they aren't Americans :rolleyes:

There are too many fishy details about what happened on that day.

I feel bad about the lifes that were loss' date=' but the way it happened and the way they dealt with it afterwards was pretty suspect, IMO.[/quote']

The terrorists won. The susequent removal of American freedoms, and the laws passed that Americans fully supported and still support to this day that are a direct assault on our personal liberty are exactly the type of thing they want to accomplish. Knee jerk reaction by the government and the people resulted in two crippling and overly expensive wars that have accomplished little to nothing, and one is still going and getting no where, the other has done nothing to better Iraq and if anything is likely to result in an even worse version of Iraq over the long haul.

Nothing that happened after 9/11 has created a better of safer America. The biggest threat now lies within America itself. It's now possible for Americans to be detained indefinitely without due process, it's now possible for them to take over your property as they see fit, it's now possible to remove your citizenship without due process, it's not possible for them to destroy your farm if you do not use, grow, or raise livestock or plants that they approve of, it's now impossible to fly to another city without being hassled at the air ports, they can now legally use drones to spy on any person they choose for any reason they choose, it's now possible to use military force to quell domestic disturbances, it's now possible for them to wire tap you, monitor your internet social activity, They will shortly be handling how we get medical care, they control monitary policy, business, local law enforcement, education, transportation, energy, etc.

The terrorists have already won no matter how many of them we kill.

Extremely disrespectful to tie in politics to this day

There are some things that are sacred, and out of respect for the thousands of people that lost loved ones completely unnecesarrily on this day, i'd leave the politics out of this day and just honor those who had their lives taken from them

There are some things that are sacred' date=' and out of respect for the thousands of people that lost loved ones completely unnecesarrily on this day, i'd leave the politics out of this day and just honor those who had their lives taken from them[/quote']

I don't see how it somehow degrades those lost or disrespects them in anyway.

That is as long as you are not degrading them and disrespecting them.

I don't see how it somehow degrades those lost or disrespects them in anyway.

That is as long as you are not degrading them and disrespecting them.

to me, to argue politics and corruption today is disrespectful to the people who actually lost loved one's.

Its should be a day of remembrance, not controversy.

There's plenty of time for controversy 364 days out of the year. Leave this day to show respect to the dead and the people it effected.

to me' date=' to argue politics and corruption today is disrespectful to the people who actually lost loved one's.

Its should be a day of remembrance, not controversy.

There's plenty of time for controversy 364 days out of the year. Leave this day to show respect to the dead and the people it effected.[/quote']

The other 364 other days people usually don't discuss it. I would think if you discussed it in a respectful manner it's wouldn't bother those effected. I would think they would want people to discuss it.

I know what your saying and i kind of half assed agree but it depends on the person's intentions. I don't see a problem with it unless someone is being a **** or trying to be intentionally cruel just for kicks.

The other 364 other days people usually don't discuss it. I would think if you discussed it in a respectful manner it's wouldn't bother those effected. I would think they would want people to discuss it.

I know what your saying and i kind of half assed agree but it depends on the person's intentions. I don't see a problem with it unless someone is being a **** or trying to be intentionally cruel just for kicks.

This is true. Nobody even thought about 9/11 this year until today.

so we have to go right into controversy?

and idk about you guys but living close to NY i am reminded of it a lot.

My brother lives in Manhattan.

My point is every single day of the year has some bad event that happenend throughout history. Why are we not so sensitive for other events and take a vow of silence for topics on those days. We'd be pretty damn silent all the time then no.

I mean im sure i could find a day people shouldn't take about abortions, another day people shouldn't talk about guns etc.

Are we that overly sensitive that everything about a certain subject is off limits ( even if your not being disrespectful but discussing it in a civil manner ) then why doesn't it apply for everything else? See what im saying.

Also i hate censorship especially for the sake of political correctness.

My brother lives in Manhattan.

My point is every single day of the year has some bad event that happenend throughout history. Why are we not so sensitive for other events and take a vow of silence for topics on those days. We'd be pretty damn silent all the time then no.

I mean im sure i could find a day people shouldn't take about abortions' date=' another day people shouldn't talk about guns etc.

Are we that overly sensitive that everything about a certain subject is off limits then why doesn't it apply for everything else? See what im saying.

Also i hate censorship especially for the sake of political correctness.[/quote']

I guess the way i look at it is if it prevents 1 person (who lost loved ones) from getting upset about the conversation I think its not worth talking about it. They don't want to hear about controversy on a day thats a lot more dramatic for them than us.

I guess the way i look at it is if it prevents 1 person (who lost loved ones) from getting upset about the conversation I think its not worth talking about it. They don't want to hear about controversy on a day thats a lot more dramatic for them than us.

Well not to be mean but maybe they shouldn't be on the internet that day if they're gonna get offended by someone discussing it. Because someone will be talking about it somewhere.

It's kind of like someone that doesn't like cussing but showing up at a gloves off comedy club.

Well not to be mean but maybe they shouldn't be on the internet that day if they're gonna get offended by someone discussing it. Because someone will be talking about it somewhere.

It's kind of like someone that doesn't like cussing but showing up at a gloves off comedy club.

yea, if the cussing is their family member dying and the gloves off comedy is people going over thoroughly why they think your family member died with barely any inside knowledge, on the day that they died.

yea' date=' if the cussing is their family member dying and the gloves off comedy is people going over thoroughly why they think your family member died with barely any inside knowledge, on the day that they died.[/quote']

As long as you are not being a D-bag about it i don't see it as being disrespectful. That is subjective though. What offends one doesn't another but you can't live your life worrying about what's gonna be offensive to everyone otherwise you may as well be speechless 24/7 365.

People talk about Katrina on the anniversery and i don't have a problem with that. I was directly affected by it and some of the comments do bug me a little but at the same time im cool with them having thier opinion on it ( however ill informed or spiteful ) and if they want to discuss it so be it.

I guess i just really don't like the irony of it when like i said people don't observe some vow of silence for other horrible events in history. Im also against censoring people especially if thier intentions aren't even malicious in the first place.

Who said they did it though?

Why were those countries attacked?

Bin Laden admitted to ordering the 9/11 attacks and Afghanistan was attacked because it was controlled by the taliban and is also where Bin Laden was hiding part of the time. The war there was justified considering they are still fighting the Taliban today and that there was evidence that Bin Laden was crossing the border at will.

Iraq wasn't justified but needed to be done. They should have tried Saddam for war crimes the first time that we were there.

There are some things that are sacred' date=' and out of respect for the thousands of people that lost loved ones completely unnecesarrily on this day, i'd leave the politics out of this day and just honor those who had their lives taken from them[/quote']

I don't think we need to shut down everything just to show respect for the tragic loss of life that occurred. I don't think it's disrespectful.

People tend to forget/ never knew what our initial response was. Our initial war against the taliban was very small, it was a handful of special forces that linked up with and helped the Northern Alliance with supplies and tactical air support. A handful of A- teams helped topple the Taliban in a matter of weeks and had Osama Bin Laden cornered. It wasn't until we brought in more forces that the resentment towards us escalated.

After the battle at tora bora things got out of hand. The government set its aims too high and our set goals that were too broad with a very short sighted view of a very complicated area of the world.

Ironically, Iran and Pakistan were fighting a proxy war in Afghanistan before we got there supporting the Northern Alliance and the Taliban respectively. Iran was backing the same side as us but they were viewed as the enemy and Pakistan as our friends. Then 10 years later we find Bin Laden in Pakistan and many of the Iranian weapons that were so prevalent in Iraq are, as far as I know, no where near as common in Afghanistan.

Our government seems very inept when it comes to the company we keep in the world.

Tooth fairy existing is just a plausible as the truther story. So i could say the same for the "toothers" :P

I've seen a guy analise footage of the attacks and it seems pretty conclusive that it was an inside job.

I believe al qaeda had something to do with it but at the very least they were in bed with the government.

Tooth fairy existing is just a plausible as the truther story. So i could say the same for the "toothers" :P

Um?

Okay go ahead and give me an explanation for Tower 7 then.

I have never met or talked to anybody ever who has actually believed the official story on that, surely you don't actually believe it do you? :confused:

Um?

I have never met or talked to anybody ever who has actually believed the official story on that' date=' surely you don't actually believe it do you? :confused:[/quote']

http://www.debunking911.com/pull.htm

Here's a reasonable explaination.^^ Does it mean it's a fact? No. If it isn't it doesn't mean it was an inside job either.

My answer is i don't know for sure and i don't assume to know. Doesn't mean i should jump to conclusions though but i do side on what is more plausible based on the evidence i've read both for and against.

I'll tell you this much, it's pretty much impossible thier was some grand inside job conspiracy with the amount of people that would have to be involved someone would have said **** this **** and blown the whistle.

Um?

I have never met or talked to anybody ever who has actually believed the official story on that' date=' surely you don't actually believe it do you? :confused:[/quote']

So if you believe that it was an inside job then what reason would the government have to blow up one of their own buildings?

So if you believe that it was an inside job then what reason would the government have to blow up one of their own buildings?

Like they always do. They lie to us whenever they want to go to war. We got the lithium didn't we? Also have you noticed the rapid increase of all these new laws/security/ survelliance? We hardly have any rights or freedom anymore and it's only getting worse.

One motive could be as a means to justify more defense/intelligence spending to push certain power agenda's certain people at the top have. Fuel the war machine and profit and tighten the grip on control. Basically profit and power by any means.

Still doesn't mean motive=guilt.

Like they always do. They lie to us whenever they want to go to war. We got the lithium didn't we? Also have you noticed the rapid increase of all these new laws/security/ survelliance? We hardly have any rights or freedom anymore and it's only getting worse.

I'm not saying that its impossible but highly improbable that the government did it. They have a little more control/surveillance but besides a little longer wait at the airport nothing has really changed in my life and they don't have any more control over me than they did before. The war has not helped our government or our country at all. Actually it did the opposite since the belief in our government and economy is almost at an all time low.

Plus why would Bush want it to happen? It made him look like an inept president and he had only been in office for a few months and that is hardly enough time to plan something like this to begin with. Also for them to plan it they would have thought out every possibility of the nation's reaction and they would have had to of known the economic affect that the war would have. So the planning would have had to start with Clinton's era and then everyone involved would either have to be for the plan or at least trustworthy enough that they wouldn't come forward. Considering that many people in the government had family and friends that died in the disaster as well I really don't think that it is probable.

One motive could be as a means to justify more defense/intelligence spending to push certain power agenda's certain people at the top have. Fuel the war machine and profit and tighten the grip on control. Basically profit and power by any means.

Plausible and many companies/government sectors profited from 9/11 but still really hard to make happen without the wrong people finding out and leaking everything. I thinkt that there is a lot of shady **** that happens within our government everyday but I have a tough time believing this one.

True but motive does mean theres a possibility especially when there is doubt surrounding the day