Rumor: Wanderlei Silva Vs. Chael Sonnen Possible For UFC 153 Main Event

BJpennnnnnn

I would prefer Machida vs Shogun 3 or something with one of those guys.

Yea same here, even Machida vs Sonnen would be better. I love Wandy but he is not main event status anymore. co-main all day, but he is just fighting for fun, he doesn't expect any title shots anytime soon.

I love watching him fight tho!

LOL!

The saviour of cards is not interested in a fight that does nothing for him ' date=' against someone who called him out...[/quote']

Actually sir, if you took the time to read the article in it's entirety as opposed to just the headline you would see that it states,

According to Roberts, Sonnen has not been offered a fight at UFC 153, and he is still scheduled to fight Forrest Griffin at UFC 155 on Dec. 29.

"[Wanderlei] Silva's not an option," Roberts added.

So you see, it was not presented to Sonnen or his manager. There is no use in speculating on if he would or wouldn't if the UFC doesn't plan on offering it to him anyway. Frankly, Sonnen may be a lot of things, but in his entire career, I don't recall him ever backing down from a fight that was offered to him.

I don't know if you have to respect that or not, but let's at least save trying to tarnish his current reputation until he's actually done something to warrant that.

Actually sir' date=' if you took the time to read the article in it's entirety as opposed to just the headline you would see that it states,

So you see, it was not presented to Sonnen or his manager. There is no use in speculating on if he would or wouldn't if the UFC doesn't plan on offering it to him anyway. Frankly, Sonnen may be a lot of things, but in his entire career, I don't recall him ever backing down from a fight that was offered to him.

I don't know if you have to respect that or not, but let's at least save trying to tarnish his current reputation until he's actually done something to warrant that.[/quote']

Wandy called him out though...

Isn't that enough for the man that never backs down?

If it was A.Silva calling him out, he would go into he depths of hell to find and sign that contract.

Wandy called him out though...

Isn't that enough for the man that never backs down?

OK, so the UFC isn't offering the fight to Sonnen, what would you purpose Chael do to step up to the challenge? Fly down to Rio and fight Wandy in the parking lot before the event? Beg Dana to cancel the fight he's scheduled for at his new weight class so he can move back down to his previous weight and beat a guy who's at this point leaning on his name value and whom most people think would lose to him anyway?

There is a big difference between being called out by someone and having the promoters say "will you fight them" than someone saying they would fight you, but the match makers don't line up the fight. I, personally, believe without a doubt, if Dana or Joe Silva or whomever called up Chael Sonnen 8 days before the event in Rio and said, "Fight with Wandy, you in?" He would agree. Now this is based on nothing more than speculation - but until someone calls and offers him the fight, why get distracted with it when you've got your next scheduled bout already in the works?

OK' date=' so the UFC isn't offering the fight to Sonnen, what would you purpose Chael do to step up to the challenge? Fly down to Rio and fight Wandy in the parking lot before the event? Beg Dana to cancel the fight he's scheduled for at his new weight class so he can move back down to his previous weight and beat a guy who's at this point leaning on his name value and whom most people think would lose to him anyway?

There is a big difference between being called out by someone and having the promoters say "will you fight them" than someone saying they would fight you, but the match makers don't line up the fight. I, personally, believe without a doubt, if Dana or Joe Silva or whomever called up Chael Sonnen 8 days before the event in Rio and said, "Fight with Wandy, you in?" He would agree. Now this is based on nothing more than speculation - but until someone calls and offers him the fight, why get distracted with it when you've got your next scheduled bout already in the works?[/quote']

If it was someone else calling him out (preferably with some gold around their waist), Chael would do everything in his power to be as vocal as possible about wanting to fight that person.

He doesn't want Wandy beacuse that doesn't do anything for him, it's not beacuse the UFC can't or isn't willing to make the fight.

that that went down real quick. http://www.mmafighting.com/2012/9/12/3323318/manager-chael-sonnen-not-fighting-wanderlei-silva-at-ufc-153

MMAjunkies being slow with the updates. I don't really go on MMAFighting, but they're updating fast on these. Probably because of Ariel Helwani though. Yup just checked he's writing these articles. Alright Eff you mmajunkie.

If it was someone else calling him out (preferably with some gold around their waist)' date=' Chael would do everything in his power to be as vocal as possible about wanting to fight that person.

He doesn't want Wandy beacuse that doesn't do anything for him, it's not beacuse the UFC can't or isn't willing to make the fight.[/quote']

Perhaps I misinterpreted your intent in the original post. You (what I believe to be) sarcastically referred to him as the "savior of cards" and then when on to say he had no intention of fighting Wandy. Within the frame work of talking about saving a card, that would require the UFC to approach him about the fight on short notice to in effect save it. But with a month before the fight, there is still ample time to find two headliners and give them a four week training camp - so no saving needed.

If your point is that Chael should go out of his way to answer each and every challenge extended to him, I think you'd find him fighting 15 times a year. Like it or not, Sonnen has become a rather large target, and it's because of his brash and offensive style of handling himself. But there is a difference between not backing down from a fight that's on the table, and canceling one fight you've already agreed to just to arbitrarily accept another one simply because someone "calls you out."

And you are right, a win over Wandy does nothing for him, so I doubt very much he will actively pursue that fight - but there is a big difference between not exerting an effort to make a fight happen and refusing a fight that's offered to you.

Perhaps I misinterpreted your intent in the original post. You (what I believe to be) sarcastically referred to him as the "savior of cards" and then when on to say he had no intention of fighting Wandy. Within the frame work of talking about saving a card' date=' that would require the UFC to approach him about the fight on short notice to in effect save it. But with a month before the fight, there is still ample time to find two headliners and give them a four week training camp - so no saving needed.

If your point is that Chael should go out of his way to answer each and every challenge extended to him, I think you'd find him fighting 15 times a year. Like it or not, Sonnen has become a rather large target, and it's because of his brash and offensive style of handling himself. But there is a difference between not backing down from a fight that's on the table, and canceling one fight you've already agreed to just to arbitrarily accept another one simply because someone "calls you out."

And you are right, a win over Wandy does nothing for him, so I doubt very much he will actively pursue that fight - but there is a big difference between not exerting an effort to make a fight happen and refusing a fight that's offered to you.[/quote']

The fight they made to close the gap left by the Belfort/Belcher fight, is a no investment, mismatch of a fight, between a guy who is getting owned everytime he steps in there (Herman), against a guy that can destroy him anywhere the fight goes (Big Nog).

Sonnen vs Wandy would be better on all fronts .

All the trash that Sonnen talked about Wandy finally put to the test in Brazil nonethless, it would be epic and they still had a month to promote it.

If Sonnen went on twitter and started running his mouth like he usually does when he wants a fight, we would already have a fight set up at this point (that's how he got the JBJ shot).

OK, but I'm not denying Sonnen has no interest in the fight. There are a LOT of people who would like a piece of Sonnen right now - one of which is Forrest. It makes no sense for Sonnen to move from a fight where in a win would help his career to a fight which a win does virtually nothing for him. Again, I would like to reiterate, there is a big difference between turning down a fight, and not making a personal campaign every time someone calls you out.

Chael Sonnen didn't turn down a fight, he simply was never offered one. You keep using the fact that he's not pounding the pavement trying to get a fight with Wandy, when we're all in agreement, a win over Wandy does nothing for Chael. Why would he TRY to get a fight that doesn't benefit him? Why would he scrap an already perfectly acceptable fight for an easier one? It's one thing to turn down a fight that doesn't help you, it's a whole new ballgame to avoid one.

OK' date=' but I'm not denying Sonnen has no interest in the fight. There are a LOT of people who would like a piece of Sonnen right now - one of which is Forrest. It makes no sense for Sonnen to move from a fight where in a win would help his career to a fight which a win does virtually nothing for him. Again, I would like to reiterate, there is a big difference between turning down a fight, and not making a personal campaign every time someone calls you out.

Chael Sonnen didn't turn down a fight, he simply was never offered one. You keep using the fact that he's not pounding the pavement trying to get a fight with Wandy, when we're all in agreement, a win over Wandy does nothing for Chael. Why would he [i']TRY[/i] to get a fight that doesn't benefit him? Why would he scrap an already perfectly acceptable fight for an easier one? It's one thing to turn down a fight that doesn't help you, it's a whole new ballgame to avoid one.

All I'm saying is that Sonnen has bashed the fighters that get called out and don't take the fights countless times in the past, yet here is Wanderlei campaigning to fight him and (at this time), not a word out of Sonnen.

LOL!

The saviour of cards is not interested in a fight that does nothing for him ' date=' against someone who called him out...[/quote']

This may be hard to comprehend, but Chael actually already has a fight booked, and obviously he's only going to take another fight on shorter notice if it moves him forward in his new division... not step down in competition in another weight class.

Oh, and the rumor is squashed.

/thread

All I'm saying is that Sonnen has bashed fighters countless times that get called out and don't take the fights' date=' yet here is Wanderlei campaigning to fight him and (at this time), not a word out of Sonnen.[/quote']

And if he did - to what end? To have people criticize him for "ducking" Griffin? Which I have no doubts people would bring up that Forrest beat him 9 years ago, and he's now afraid of Forrest, so he took the easier fight with Wandy. I feel like this is a situation where you are simply looking to vilify Sonnen - when in fact, he's done absolutely nothing so far. Wandy called him out, no one offered Sonnen the Wandy fight, Sonnen is already scheduled to fight Forrest, and you're seemingly begrudging for not trying to get an easier fight with a fighter in a smaller weight class.

No offense, but that's kind of the ultimate "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

This may be hard to comprehend' date=' but Chael actually already has a fight booked, and obviously he's only going to take another fight on shorter notice if it moves him forward in his new division... not step down in competition in another weight class.

Oh, and the rumor is squashed.

[b']/thread[/b]

Don't you have the ability to close threads? lol

Didn't stop him from wanting to take JBJ's belt...

you believe in that staged drama the UFC creates? especially when they have their "WWF" star Chael and the UFC poster boy in the mix?

fooled! all of you, fooled!

You don't think its faked drama just to give the UFC, as well as Jon Jones (ufc poster boy) more publicity which gives them more revenue? Dana White has said multiple times that he is a big fan of Vince Mcmahon, he has dinner with him and long talks about business. Dana White and the Fertitta bros are smart enough to weave fake drama into a real sport nearly unnoticed. All press is good press, and Jon Jones could care less about how random neckbeards feel about him. He is going to have a long enough career that he will be able to change his image many times, anything that supports more payperviews and money coming in.

Your name is a true representation of you...Caveman.

look for the clues and you'll know I speak the truth.

Jones, Chael, and Dana were trolling you all, and you cant see it

They are all rolling in a pile of money just laughing at all of you

Dana White is a master mind, that's why hes a billionaire and you aren't. Believing everything you see wont get you very far in life. I suggest you open your eyes.

you believe in that staged drama the UFC creates? especially when they have their "WWF" star Chael and the UFC poster boy in the mix?

fooled! all of you' date=' fooled!

You don't think its faked drama just to give the UFC, as well as Jon Jones (ufc poster boy) more publicity which gives them more revenue? Dana White has said multiple times that he is a big fan of Vince Mcmahon, he has dinner with him and long talks about business. Dana White and the Fertitta bros are smart enough to weave fake drama into a real sport nearly unnoticed. All press is good press, and Jon Jones could care less about how random neckbeards feel about him. He is going to have a long enough career that he will be able to change his image many times, anything that supports more payperviews and money coming in.

Your name is a true representation of you...Caveman.

look for the clues and you'll know I speak the truth.

Jones, Chael, and Dana were trolling you all, and you cant see it

They are all rolling in a pile of money just laughing at all of you

Dana White is a master mind, that's why hes a billionaire and you aren't. Believing everything you see wont get you very far in life. I suggest you open your eyes.[/quote']

Which one should I go with...

Help me out...

The UFC cancels an event loses millions of dollars all for publicity that they would gather anyway if the fight was made and the event didn't get cancelled?

seems-legit_o_424840.jpg

This one is good I think...

But this one is also very good.

ancientaliens.jpg

Which one should I go with...

Help me out...

The UFC cancels an event loses millions of dollars all for publicity that they would gather anyway if the fight was made and the event didn't get cancelled?

yes the UFC would drop a whole event and lose money to do this, they are thinking of inflating revenue in the future, and how do you do that? make a big stir in the MMA community. What did they lose by canceling the event? 5 mil? 10 mil? or more? that's chump change to the multi billion dollar MMA company. How do you get more eyes on the UFC than ever? cancel an event....its never been done before, which causes a huge storm surrounding the UFC. All press is good press.

Why do you think Chael was talking smack to Jones on twitter a week before he even "supposedly" knew about a potential fight? They were building up drama before we even knew Dan Henderson pulled out. Just like a fishing line with a hook, they were dragging you in even before you knew it. These are smart people controlling this, they think in terms that you cant even conceive. Once again, that's why they are billionaire and you probably work at taco bell scrubbing the employee toilets.

Now everyone wants to see Jones get his face smashed in more than ever. They are building his dynamic legacy, and that takes time and planning. Dana White is doing with Jon Jones, what he would have been doing with Anderson Silva, if he had started his first fights in the UFC. Building the name, Building the Brand, creating drama, reel in the dough. Just like Paris Hilton or Lindsey Lohan getting out of a limo with no panties on, you really believe they don't know what they are doing? They are reeling you in, getting you hooked so youll want more of them in any way shape or form, which turns in to money for them.

this could be a major turning point in your life if you want it to be, leave your fake view of the world behind and see the truth. there is no spoon :) nothing is as it seems.