GSP criticism/fight finishing. (long thread)

Mujician

It is one thing to say that this very talented man does not finish fights because he is scared, fighting safe, win by points, ect. But has anyone ever looked at the actual division and the fighters who are top contenders? I mean how do you know its how tough his opponents are and that they REFUSE to quit? The welterweight division is easily the toughest division when it comes to fighters when comparing to other divisions based on fighters and they're credentials (not getting into every fighter individually). Compared to the Middleweight division it truly seems the welterweight talent is highly superior to the middleweight division when fans are talking about who each champion as fought and beat. You may look at it as Anderson Silva being so dominant that he is simply putting opponents away with ease oppose to the middleweight division not being nearly as skillful as their champion. I mean yes, you can argue that whenever Silva beats an opponent they either disappear to the back end of the line and stay there or get cut. When GSP beats opponents they stick around for rematches and stay in the top 5 or top 10 and put on great shows. Indeed Anderson crumbles his opponents early in fights and shows that they had no business in there with him but, when GSP dominates his opponents he completely breaks them apart. Its not the same as an Anderson fight where he may lose a round or two them come back to finish. GSP is ALWAYS in control. Keeps opponents guessing to break them down mentally so he can impose his will. SO many fans are criticising him on not finishing fights when he is truly trying his best like every other fighter out there. To be honest with you all here, I have been watching MMA(mostly UFC) since it got banned and came back on the air. But just as a spectator of the sport without being biased or having favorite fighters(which I do not), I definitely, 100% of the time, always prefer a 5 round decision beatdown where the fighter cannot do anything in his power to win compared to a 1st round knockout/submission. The 1st round KO is what new generation fans seem to love but after being a fan for such a long time and having much knowledge in the sport changed my views on how fights should be looked at. Not just waiting for the finish but admiring the technique and skill of each and every fighter.

I think it's good that GSP dominates his opponents, is always in control, and really never in danger. But GSP even admitted himself he wasn't fighting with killer instinct. Just look at all his interviews right now he explains it and how he is going to come out fighting different with Condit.

I like GSP, but it's obvious his fights with Hardy, Kos, and Shields he wasn't fighting with killer instinct or even trying to finish. I think after Hardy didn't tap to the arm bar he lost a little confidence and half a**ed that kimura. He had Kos hurt a few times and didn't do anything. And Kos had one eye. Then he head kicks Shields and just stares at him. His last good decision fight was with Alves. I actually enjoyed that fight and when he did knock him down with a few punches at one point, he did follow it up on the ground and attempted to finish with elbows. But like mentioned, since he's been fighting cautious.

I hope it's time he starts taking more chances. If he fights the way he's been talking, I think he finishes Condit. GSP's really talented and can really finish his opponents any way he wants, I believe he's that good. He just needs to step up and take more chances. I think he'll do it with Condit now.

I think it's good that GSP dominates his opponents' date=' is always in control, and really never in danger. But GSP even admitted himself he wasn't fighting with killer instinct. Just look at all his interviews right now he explains it and how he is going to come out fighting different with Condit.

I like GSP, but it's obvious his fights with Hardy, Kos, and Shields he wasn't fighting with killer instinct or even trying to finish. I think after Hardy didn't tap to the arm bar he lost a little confidence and half a**ed that kimura. He had Kos hurt a few times and didn't do anything. And Kos had one eye. Then he head kicks Shields and just stares at him. His last good decision fight was with Alves. I actually enjoyed that fight and when he did knock him down with a few punches at one point, he did follow it up on the ground and attempted to finish with elbows. But like mentioned, since he's been fighting cautious.

I hope it's time he starts taking more chances. If he fights the way he's been talking, I think he finishes Condit. GSP's really talented and can really finish his opponents any way he wants, I believe he's that good. He just needs to step up and take more chances. I think he'll do it with Condit now.[/quote']

thanks for showing me that you go to school loll.

Unlike many fighters out there, he does admit the things he does wrong. Yes I have seen those interviews about his killer instinct and his new dynamic way of training for the finish and it all seems so interesting to see how it plays out. I remember when he first started training with Freddy Roach. I was very exited to hear this because I'm a Pacquiao fan myself. And it played out perfectly, busting up koscheck with almost nothing but a jab was pretty damn rediculous to watch. Im not sure koscheck was hurt in that fight but he shouldve definitely gone for some take downs.

thanks for showing me that you go to school loll.

Unlike many fighters out there' date=' he does admit the things he does wrong. Yes I have seen those interviews about his killer instinct and his new dynamic way of training for the finish and it all seems so interesting to see how it plays out. I remember when he first started training with Freddy Roach. I was very exited to hear this because I'm a Pacquiao fan myself. And it played out perfectly, busting up koscheck with almost nothing but a jab was pretty damn rediculous to watch. Im not sure koscheck was hurt in that fight but he shouldve definitely gone for some take downs.[/quote']

Yep it's hard to maturely discuss any topic on this forum these days without someone trolling or just leaving an insulting comment. :(

I used to always defend GSP and make the argument it doesn't matter that he doesn't finish he dominates his opponents. But I've been realizing how damn cautious he's fighting and I wanna see him finish Condit real bad. He actually has really good head kicks. They're really fast and everything. If he can land one of those and follow up on it he has a good chance at tko'ing people.

I think something different with GSP than other champs though is that he completely takes guys out of their game. Silva's last two fights against Sonnen he lost 5 rounds total. Jones arguably lost the 1st round against Machida. GSP, Aldo, and so far JDS dominate their opponents and win all the rounds and are rarely in trouble. GSP up until the Shields fight had won all of his rounds, something like 25 straight, and was dominating them.

Yep it's hard to maturely discuss any topic on this forum these days without someone trolling or just leaving an insulting comment. :(

I used to always defend GSP and make the argument it doesn't matter that he doesn't finish he dominates his opponents. But I've been realizing how damn cautious he's fighting and I wanna see him finish Condit real bad. He actually has really good head kicks. They're really fast and everything. If he can land one of those and follow up on it he has a good chance at tko'ing people.

I think something different with GSP than other champs though is that he completely takes guys out of their game. Silva's last two fights against Sonnen he lost 5 rounds total. Jones arguably lost the 1st round against Machida. GSP' date=' Aldo, and so far JDS dominate their opponents and win all the rounds and are rarely in trouble. GSP up until the Shields fight had won all of his rounds, something like 25 straight, and was dominating them.[/quote']

I believe it was 30 straight. and I think Aldo lost 1 or 2 against Kenflo. I'm not defending GSP in anyway but the Jake fight sold me on him being too cautious. Somewhere in the middle of his 9 month break I started to think he is going to blow Condits **** out of the water. Might have been the first interview when he admits he wasnt fighting with killer instinct.

It is one thing to say that this very talented man does not finish fights because he is scared' date=' fighting safe, win by points, ect. But has anyone ever looked at the actual division and the fighters who are top contenders? I mean how do you know its how tough his opponents are and that they REFUSE to quit? The welterweight division is easily the toughest division when it comes to fighters when comparing to other divisions based on fighters and they're credentials (not getting into every fighter individually). Compared to the Middleweight division it truly seems the welterweight talent is highly superior to the middleweight division when fans are talking about who each champion as fought and beat. You may look at it as Anderson Silva being so dominant that he is simply putting opponents away with ease oppose to the middleweight division not being nearly as skillful as their champion. I mean yes, you can argue that whenever Silva beats an opponent they either disappear to the back end of the line and stay there or get cut. When GSP beats opponents they stick around for rematches and stay in the top 5 or top 10 and put on great shows. Indeed Anderson crumbles his opponents early in fights and shows that they had no business in there with him but, when GSP dominates his opponents he completely breaks them apart. Its not the same as an Anderson fight where he may lose a round or two them come back to finish. GSP is ALWAYS in control. Keeps opponents guessing to break them down mentally so he can impose his will. SO many fans are criticising him on not finishing fights when he is truly trying his best like every other fighter out there. To be honest with you all here, I have been watching MMA(mostly UFC) since it got banned and came back on the air. But just as a spectator of the sport without being biased or having favorite fighters(which I do not), I definitely, 100% of the time, always prefer a 5 round decision beatdown where the fighter cannot do anything in his power to win compared to a 1st round knockout/submission. The 1st round KO is what new generation fans seem to love but after being a fan for such a long time and having much knowledge in the sport changed my views on how fights should be looked at. Not just waiting for the finish but admiring the technique and skill of each and every fighter.[/quote']

Does GSP deserve hate?....no

Does GSP deserve criticism?....yes

If you want finishes cool that what you want and GSP does not deliver...but he's still a good fighter

But to say his comp is so good that he can't get the finish is so bogus...this is mma...almost everyone has been finished multiple times...call a spade a spade...GSP does not try to finish as much as many other fighter

I think he has the talent to finish...he armbared Matt Hughes who is an amazing ground fighter and he koed jay herion two good guys...but he does not fight like that anymore...do I have a problem with that?...no...but I don't deny that he does mot try as much as others

It is one thing to say that this very talented man does not finish fights because he is scared' date=' fighting safe, win by points, ect. But has anyone ever looked at the actual division and the fighters who are top contenders? I mean how do you know its how tough his opponents are and that they REFUSE to quit? The welterweight division is easily the toughest division when it comes to fighters when comparing to other divisions based on fighters and they're credentials (not getting into every fighter individually). Compared to the Middleweight division it truly seems the welterweight talent is highly superior to the middleweight division when fans are talking about who each champion as fought and beat. You may look at it as Anderson Silva being so dominant that he is simply putting opponents away with ease oppose to the middleweight division not being nearly as skillful as their champion. I mean yes, you can argue that whenever Silva beats an opponent they either disappear to the back end of the line and stay there or get cut. When GSP beats opponents they stick around for rematches and stay in the top 5 or top 10 and put on great shows. Indeed Anderson crumbles his opponents early in fights and shows that they had no business in there with him but, when GSP dominates his opponents he completely breaks them apart. Its not the same as an Anderson fight where he may lose a round or two them come back to finish. GSP is ALWAYS in control. Keeps opponents guessing to break them down mentally so he can impose his will. SO many fans are criticising him on not finishing fights when he is truly trying his best like every other fighter out there. To be honest with you all here, I have been watching MMA(mostly UFC) since it got banned and came back on the air. But just as a spectator of the sport without being biased or having favorite fighters(which I do not), I definitely, 100% of the time, always prefer a 5 round decision beatdown where the fighter cannot do anything in his power to win compared to a 1st round knockout/submission. The 1st round KO is what new generation fans seem to love but after being a fan for such a long time and having much knowledge in the sport changed my views on how fights should be looked at. Not just waiting for the finish but admiring the technique and skill of each and every fighter.[/quote']

GSP has been on a great run and has beaten legit competition, but even with the best there is room for criticism. As a big fan of GSP's, I still think he should have finished some of his recent fights.

GSP has shown he can use great strategy in fights, but he even said himself he has been too analytical and cautious. I think GSP focused so much on what dangers his opponents present to him that he gave them too much respect while fighting. I don't mean he was too respectful before the fight or after the fight, I mean he respected the their abilities too much even when he had opportunities to finish them during the fight.

The best example was against Jake Shields. Even before the eye poke GSP was striking cautiously because he feared Shields would take him down. GSP is right that having Shields on top of him would have been big trouble, but he clearly showed right from the beginning of the fight that his take down defense was far too good for Shields to come close to taking him down. Then in round 4 when GSP landed that beautiful head kick he should have finished it there, but he was cautious of attacking Shields on the ground.

I think the time off was probably good for GSP and if he recovers well from the acl surgery he could come back even better than before. However finishing Condit will be a tough task, so GSP is going to have to fight differently than he has recently to finish Condit.

GSP has been on a great run and has beaten legit competition' date=' but even with the best there is room for criticism. As a big fan of GSP's, I still think he should have finished some of his recent fights.

GSP has shown he can use great strategy in fights, but he even said himself he has been too analytical and cautious. I think GSP focused so much on what dangers his opponents present to him that he gave them too much respect while fighting. I don't mean he was too respectful before the fight or after the fight, I mean he respected the their abilities too much even when he had opportunities to finish them during the fight.

The best example was against Jake Shields. Even before the eye poke GSP was striking cautiously because he feared Shields would take him down. GSP is right that having Shields on top of him would have been big trouble, but he clearly showed right from the beginning of the fight that his take down defense was far too good for Shields to come close to taking him down. Then in round 4 when GSP landed that beautiful head kick he should have finished it there, but he was cautious of attacking Shields on the ground.

I think the time off was probably good for GSP and if he recovers well from the acl surgery he could come back even better than before. However finishing Condit will be a tough task, so GSP is going to have to fight differently than he has recently to finish Condit.[/quote']

Yea I agree what what you say except for the fact that he shouldve finished Jake because if Hendo couldnt then no way Gsp wouldve been able to TKO him to say the least. From reading and listening to interviews recently, I believe he will finish Condit.

Yea I agree what what you say except for the fact that he shouldve finished Jake because if Hendo couldnt then no way Gsp wouldve been able to TKO him to say the least. From reading and listening to interviews recently' date=' I believe he will finish Condit.[/quote']

I disagree. Ellenberger finished him in 25 seconds in the first round.

GSP had a chance to finish on the head kick, he lacked killer instinct.

I hope he comes out differently against Condit. I think if he gets Condit hurt at any point, he might actually go in for the finish.