Why are people compalining about Silva vs Bonnar

WaSupGuy

Obv its not an ideal situation but I for one prefer this over another cancelled card. Anderson Silva; the GOAT approaching his 40s has literally NOTHING to gain form this fight. And still steps up to fight and save the card and all of us supposed fight fans can do is complain.... wtf.

Anderson stepped up first putting his money where his mouth is in order to save the card, Bonnar just happened to be what was there and accepted. Is it a mismatch, yes. Is it a great main event, no. But the ufc brass and Anderson werent in a position to make it happen. They did this under pressure, to salvage a card. I can respect that. And besides the while Jones/Ufc 151 fiasco, the card better not be cancelled.

Mad props to REAL fighters stepping up.

I respect them for stepping up. Big Nog vs Herman is a good, even fight as well as Tex./Mald.

Silva is just going to obliterate Bonnar. There's a chance it could be a good fight, considering it's only going to be a 3 round main event, https://twitter.com/arielhelwani <--link. not an actual article, but Ariel usually is always the first on the scoop.

I'm excited for the fight no doubt. But Bonnar has been out of action for a while and is coming out of retirement. He's not gonna bust a Randy Couture vs Tim Sylvia. Anderson stepping up is good for the UFC, but most importantly it's to please the Brazilian crowd. I'm sure Anderson won't mind fighting in Rio.

I completely agree with the OP. Its not the best main event, but Silva is again taking a fight on short notice to help the card. And while Bonner may not be the most dangerous LHW out there, his ability to take a beating should at least keep him in the fight for a while. When Silva offered to save ufc 151 I wasnt sure that he would have really done that or was just saying it to make himself look good. But now hes doing the same thing for this card...and what makes it more impressive is that hes taking the fight on short notice against a much bigger opponent.

And mad props to Bonner for taking a fight against the spider on short notice. Both deserve respect for this one!

I completely agree with the OP. Its not the best main event' date=' but Silva is again taking a fight on short notice to help the card. And while Bonner may not be the most dangerous LHW out there, his ability to take a beating should at least keep him in the fight for a while. When Silva offered to save ufc 151 I wasnt sure that he would have really done that or was just saying it to make himself look good. But now hes doing the same thing for this card...and what makes it more impressive is that hes taking the fight on short notice against a much bigger opponent.

And mad props to Bonner for taking a fight against the spider on short notice. Both deserve respect for this one![/quote']

Yeah great Silva's helping save the card but it doesn't change the fact that the fight is terrible. Bonnar poses 0 threat whatsoever and I don't think anyone will be surprised if/when it turns out like Griffin/Silva.

There are so many better fights than this, is Bonnar even a top 20 LHW?

Bonnar's jiu jitsu is better than anyone Silva has faced, excluding Maia (debatable.) It really is underrated, I've seen some amazing fights he's been in. He's huge, too. Silva could get out-muscled. The two times Silva fought in the upper weight classes were against guys whose ground skills weren't that great. This is totally a winnable fight.

Bonnar's jiu jitsu is better than anyone Silva has faced' date=' excluding Maia (debatable.) It really is underrated, I've seen some amazing fights he's been in. He's huge, too. Silva could get out-muscled. The two times Silva fought in the upper weight classes were against guys whose ground skills weren't that great. This is totally a winnable fight.[/quote']

Bonnar might have some good jiu jitsu but he'll never get Silva down.

Bonnar's jiu jitsu is better than anyone Silva has faced' date=' excluding Maia (debatable.) It really is underrated, I've seen some amazing fights he's been in. He's huge, too. Silva could get out-muscled. The two times Silva fought in the upper weight classes were against guys whose ground skills weren't that great. This is totally a winnable fight.[/quote']

if you're insinuating that Bonnar will sub Silva then you are severely misinformed my friend

Yeah great Silva's helping save the card but it doesn't change the fact that the fight is terrible. Bonnar poses 0 threat whatsoever and I don't think anyone will be surprised if/when it turns out like Griffin/Silva.

There are so many better fights than this' date=' is Bonnar even a top 20 LHW?[/quote']

It shouldnt be a really competitive fight...but either way, I enjoy watching Silva fight so I will still tune in...and Im assuming a lot of other fans will too. Im interested to see what kind of strategy Bonner will bring to the fight in order to not end up getting beat like Griffin and Irvin did...

Im not sure why they chose Bonner to fight Silva though...Either no one wanted to step up to fight him on such short notice or all of the other top LHWs are booked...I guess machida is a no go either way...Gustafson is fighting shogun, Hendos hurt, Jones is fighting Belfort, Rampage is hurt, little Nog is a no go, Veras probably still unable to fight with injury, Bader would have less of a chance than Bonner IMO..plus he just got KTFO...Thiago Silva is booked...The LHW division isnt actually that deep...

The only other fighter that is available is Evans...Im not sure if hes not able to fight right now or is booked but the fight hasnt been announced or if he didnt want to take on Silva on such short notice or what...

Weighing all options...Bonner is probably one of the best choices available.

Bonnar's jiu jitsu is better than anyone Silva has faced' date=' excluding Maia (debatable.)[/b'] It really is underrated, I've seen some amazing fights he's been in. He's huge, too. Silva could get out-muscled. The two times Silva fought in the upper weight classes were against guys whose ground skills weren't that great. This is totally a winnable fight.

:eek: What are you talking about??? Nate Marquardt, Thales Leites, even Vitor Belfort have amazing BJJ. Trust me, Maia's BJJ vs Bonnars BJJ is not debatable.

:eek: What are you talking about??? Nate Marquardt' date=' Thales Leites, even Vitor Belfort have amazing BJJ. Trust me, Maia's BJJ vs Bonnars BJJ is not debatable.[/quote']

Travis Lutter as well, and he got caught in a triangle himself.

Yeah he was out of shape but no regular UFC fighter is going to catch Lutter in a triangle even if he was tired.

Yeah i agree' date='happy that Silva stepped up to save the card but man why Bonnar? Should be a top 5 LHW, but it doesn't matter as Bonnar mostly comes to fight and this fight should [b']look like Silva vs Griffin[/b]

Maybe that's the point. This could be one way of building up a super fight with Silva vs Jones. Anderson moves up and destroys a guy Bones decisioned.. Something interesting might happen after the fight

Maybe that's the point. This could be one way of building up a super fight with Silva vs Jones. Anderson moves up and destroys a guy Bones decisioned.. Something interesting might happen after the fight

Possibly but it was said that Anderson stepped up and Bonnar wanted this fight, so I don't think it's a set up or anything.

Bonnar is no joke, dude comes to fight and will most likely get KO'd in the first round.

If he is stepping up to save the card why did he not step up and fight Glover when Rampage dropped out. That would have been a card saver and an interesting fight, Glover is way more high profile and has huge hype behind him.

As it stands he is stepping up into another huge pay day to wipe the floor with a guy who is worse than the other LHW he stomped whilst being cheered on by the home crowd.

Massive respect to Bonnar for stepping in as the sacrificial lamb but dont be taken in by the propaganda.

I completely agree with the OP. Its not the best main event' date=' but Silva is again taking a fight on short notice to help the card. And while Bonner may not be the most dangerous LHW out there, his ability to take a beating should at least keep him in the fight for a while. When Silva offered to save ufc 151 I wasnt sure that he would have really done that or was just saying it to make himself look good. But now hes doing the same thing for this card...and what makes it more impressive is that hes taking the fight on short notice against a much bigger opponent.

And mad props to Bonner for taking a fight against the spider on short notice. Both deserve respect for this one![/quote']

^This, Straight up I would rather have this seemingly mismatched main event than no 153 altogether. Plus we get to see the GOAT fight. :cool::cool::cool:

There are so many better fights than this' date=' is Bonnar even a top 20 LHW?[/quote']

^Dude I think your conception is misplaced. Silva stepped up first and Bonnar agreed. I honestly doubt every LHW wants to go into a fight against Anderson (consider the weight cut, fighting in Brazil etc.). Lets see which LHW could/would have steeped in. Ultimately this fight is the ufcs decision not Silvas.