Silva vs Bonnar --> fantastic fight or manslaughter?

Buttons

So... Silva is once again going to LHW to prove he can beat up bigger guys.. The last time he smashed a former champ and broke his will to fight forever...

But this time he is meeting a tank with a superb game and fantastic cardio....

Lets look more at this...

Bonnar is a (fairly) slow LHW with decent punching power and a granite chin. He can do everything but does not really excel at anything (except having awesome fights).

Silva is a ultra fast MW with insane punching power and decent BJJ. He also has fairy good wrestling and thai boxing.

on paper this fight should be Bonnar running after Silva trying to hit him but getting peppered instead. SO how should Bonnar awoid this? Should he do like Maia and stand still and force Silva to move forward? Or should he **** the stand up game an instead go for TDs until the bell rings?

I am actually very pumped for this fight.. If Bonnar wins (most likely he will not) he will be catapulted into MMA stardom and will get a title shot. If Silva wins, he will probably do so by a vicious KO or TKO after humiliating Bonnar... In anycase we the fans will be the winners. This will be fantastic and unless Bonnar has broken his iron head we will maybe for the first time in a long time see someone that are able to go tow to tow with Silva (for a while)..

all i can say is "thank you" to the UFC for give me (a fan) the entertainment i want!

I'm very, very excited for this. I don't think Anderson could submit Bonnar, and we'll see how his amazing chin stands up to the best striker in the sport. I wish it was five rounds, but that's my only complaint.

It's not impossible that Bonnar could find a way to get Silva down and use his ground game to take the fight, just unlikely. At least he has the size advantage in his favor, and even though it's short notice for both of them, maybe Silva being in worse shape than usual will end up being the difference-maker.

Can't it be both? Bonnar is going into this as the ultimate underdog. He is going to be looking to make a statement against perhaps the greatest fighter of all time. And Bonnar has delivered a career's worth of fantastic fights. I expect this to be both a manslaughter in which Silva simply outclasses him at every stage, yet Bonnar will not lose focus and is likely to continue to push the action until a finish either late in the first or early in the second round.

American Psycho moves in, The Spider counter punches and defends brilliantly. That to me may be one sided, but at least the action is there and it's enjoyable. Of course, it is possible Silva may pull something like the Maia fight - but I doubt it for the Brazilian audience.

Edited by Leiting

So... Silva is once again going to LHW to prove he can beat up bigger guys.. The last time he smashed a former champ and broke his will to fight forever...

Bonnar is a (fairly) slow LHW with decent punching power and a granite chin. He can do everything but does not really excel at anything (except having awesome fights).

Silva is a ultra fast MW with insane punching power and decent BJJ. He also has fairy good wrestling and thai boxing.

on paper this fight should be Bonnar running after Silva trying to hit him but getting peppered instead. SO how should Bonnar awoid this? Should he do like Maia and stand still and force Silva to move forward? Or should he **** the stand up game an instead go for TDs until the bell rings?

I am actually very pumped for this fight.. If Bonnar wins (most likely he will not) he will be catapulted into MMA stardom and will get a title shot. If Silva wins' date=' he will probably do so by a vicious KO or TKO after humiliating Bonnar... In anycase we the fans will be the winners. This will be fantastic and unless Bonnar has broken his iron head we will maybe for the first time in a long time see someone that are able to go tow to tow with Silva (for a while)..

all i can say is "thank you" to the UFC for give me (a fan) the entertainment i want![/quote']

Decent BJJ? fairly good muay Thai? the dude submitted Lutter off his back and strangled Hendo. His got good Jiu Jitsu. His striking with his hands and feet is 2nd to none. And his not just a fast MW dude is fast at LHW too! This fight would look like the forrest fight

I am also pumped!

Bonnar is nearly impossible to finish' date=' and he is on a high coming into the fight.

Plus, even if he loses to Silva, it's not even an insult to lose to the GOAT.

[b']Added bonus, the American Psycho won't wilt and lose his soul like Forrest did. At least i hope not. This has the makings of a barn burner[/b]!

^This exactly^

We finally get to see if Bonnar can be finished. Bonnar has nothing to lose and everything to gain in this fight. Silva on the other hand has plenty to lose and nearly nothing to gain unless he can beat Bonnar in such a way as to make people go "Holy ****!!".

Silva stole Griffins soul in a scary sort of way. Bonnar isn't giving up his soul that easily.

Yep, I could see this fight being a FOTY candidate if it goes how my mind sees it going down. Bonnar makes Silva bleed, Bonnar bleeds a lot, both fighters FIGHT hard and put it on the line. Silva finally finishes Bonnar late in the fight with a TKO after Bonnar puts on a beast of a fight against the GOAT.

Silva is going to kill him but hey at least we get to see him sooner rather wait till 2013. Any Silva fight is a must see fight.....:cool:

Agreed. This is a chance for fans to see him fight again before waiting an entire year, and for Brazilian fans to be able to see him fight in person. It's much more about name recognition than actually being a competitive fight.

That said, I wish Bonnar well. I'm guessing people are betting not on who wins, but whether or not Bonnar will make it through the first round. I don't think he has much of a chance of winning barring a fluke, but he may surprise people with his performance. As has been said, he has nothing to lose in this fight.

weak card once again UFC!!! I mean who really wants to watch Silva fights an irrelevant 3 round fight against another tool the UFC feeds him. Your fighters are looking a lot more and more like lil babies Dana! What, is a months notice not enough time to have Silva fight someone deserving? in a 5 round bout? for the belt? If not, he may wanna go in for one of them ******* rejuvenation procedures! and to think, I was actually once excited for this card!

When I first heard this fight was happening, I was shocked. Why would they give him another easy fight? I thought Silva only wanted to fight champions now and not guys he believes he can easily beat. Dana probably went to Silva and said how Jones ruined an event for him and to show how "true" champions should act, take a fight with a low ranked fighter to set an example for other champs (Jones) who think certain challengers are beneath him. This time, unlike with the Weidman brush off, Silva said OK, this guy has a slightly bigger name and history with the UFC so i'll take this fight and crush him.

To me, Silva taking this is showing that he's a company man by taking a fight with a guy who he could easily beat, similar to how Jones could have easily beat Sonnen but decided not to be a company man.

Either way, it would be nice if the fight was very competitive and went to decision, as long as both guys are giving it their all. Seems like everyone is fighting safe these days so I don't really see anyone else taking a fight with Silva that he'll accept a fight with.

In terms of the injuries, I think we're seeing so many because of the hard training they do now but also to get their bodies fixed up at the UFC's expense from injuries that may have been hampering with for a while. That's obviously not the case for some fighters, but some may see it as "if the other guy is doing it, maybe I should too" type of scenario.

I am actually very pumped for this fight.. If Bonnar wins (most likely he will not) he will be catapulted into MMA stardom and will get a title shot. If Silva wins' date=' he will probably do so by a vicious KO or TKO after humiliating Bonnar... In anycase we the fans will be the winners. This will be fantastic and unless Bonnar has broken his iron head we will maybe for the first time in a long time see someone that are able to go tow to tow with Silva (for a while)..

all i can say is "thank you" to the UFC for give me (a fan) the entertainment i want![/quote']

Why am I seeing Forrest Griffen Vs Siva all over again?

Can't it be both? Bonnar is going into this as the ultimate underdog. He is going to be looking to make a statement against perhaps the greatest fighter of all time. And Bonnar has delivered a career's worth of fantastic fights. I expect this to be both a manslaughter in which Silva simply outclasses him at every stage' date=' yet Bonnar will not lose focus and is likely to continue to push the action until a finish either late in the first or early in the second round.

American Psycho moves in, The Spider counter punches and defends brilliantly. That to me may be one sided, but at least the action is there and it's enjoyable. Of course, it is possible Silva may pull an Andancerson - but I doubt it for the Brazilian audience.[/quote']

Pretty much this.

Anderson is superior in all aspects of fighting in my opinion.

It will be a huge honor for Bonnar (that rhymed) to fight arguably the greatest fighter of all time though. I expect Bonnar to come into this fight in great shape and give it his all.

weak card once again UFC!!! I mean who really wants to watch Silva fights an irrelevant 3 round fight against another tool the UFC feeds him. Your fighters are looking a lot more and more like lil babies Dana! What' date=' is a months notice not enough time to have Silva fight someone deserving? in a 5 round bout? for the belt? If not, he may wanna go in for one of them ******* rejuvenation procedures! and to think, I was actually once excited for this card![/quote']

Weak card???

Anderson Silva

Stephan Bonnar

Glover Teixeira

Big Nog

Erick Silva

Jon Fitch

Phil Davis

Demian Maia

Rick Story

Rony Jason

Gabriel Gonzaga

Diego Brandao

I don't see it.

Weak card???

Anderson Silva

Stephan Bonnar

Glover Teixeira

Big Nog

Erick Silva

Jon Fitch

Phil Davis

Demian Maia

Rick Story

Rony Jason

Gabriel Gonzaga

Diego Brandao

I don't see it.

Haters are hating... Some people seem to think that all non title fights are weak and unnecessary fights... Just ignore it.

This will be one of the best cards this year and even if not all the fights will end in KOs i can't see how they wont be spectacular

Haters are hating... Some people seem to think that all non title fights are weak and unnecessary fights... Just ignore it.

This will be one of the best cards this year and even if not all the fights will end in KOs i can't see how they wont be spectacular

Your right, It's not a weak card at all.

Again, depends on the type of fan you are.

As a true MMA fan, I love this card

I do believe the Silva/Bonnar fight is a little one sided, however they are two fighters i like to watch.

LOL sounds like this guy would buy a front row ticket to see some hillbilly shoot fish in a barrel! Is there some reason why Silva can't defend his title? This fight means nothing! Why not make a real fight instead of this circus side show. I mean I don't like Silva and think he has been fed with a silver spoon for the better part of his UFC career, but Bonnar has no place fighting Silva! Other then if Bonnar were all drunk at a fan expo or somethin and started swinging! It's a joke!

I'm very' date=' very excited for this. I don't think Anderson could submit Bonnar, and we'll see how his amazing chin stands up to the best striker in the sport. [b']I wish it was five rounds, but that's my only complaint. [/b]

It's not impossible that Bonnar could find a way to get Silva down and use his ground game to take the fight, just unlikely. At least he has the size advantage in his favor, and even though it's short notice for both of them, maybe Silva being in worse shape than usual will end up being the difference-maker.

It's a main event.

LOL sounds like this guy would buy a front row ticket to see some hillbilly shoot fish in a barrel! Is there some reason why Silva can't defend his title? This fight means nothing! Why not make a real fight instead of this circus side show. I mean I don't like Silva and think he has been fed with a silver spoon for the better part of his UFC career' date=' but Bonnar has no place fighting Silva! Other then if Bonnar were all drunk at a fan expo or somethin and started swinging! It's a joke![/quote']

I disagree..

Option 1: Silva fights some MW for the title. But as there are no real contender he would have to fight some lesser competition.

Option 2: Silva fights a larger man at LHW. Sure Bonnar might not be the best, but he is on a winning streak and with size and experience he might take this home...

i like option 2