Amish hair-cutting trial goes to Ohio jury

fobar

This is religious hatred people' date=' life in prison is fitting for the crime surely?[/quote']

For now, I think I will simply say this seem like a slight overstep in terms of sentencing. I realize the religious significance that we're talking about here, but I'm hoping, should they be convicted, the judge will not seek out the maximum penalty (life in prison) and instead find a lesser sentence more fitting to the crime at hand.

Edited by Leiting

Actually' date=' I am not in favor of hate crime laws. I don't believe the motivation behind someone's illegal actions should be a factor in their sentencing. Perhaps this isn't the right time or place to go into it, but it is a worthwhile debate with valid points on both side. For my part however, I object to them in a general sense.

For now, I think I will simply say this seem like a slight overstep in terms of sentencing. I realize the religious significance that we're talking about here, but I'm hoping, should they be convicted, the judge will not seek out the maximum penalty (life in prison) and instead find a lesser sentence more fitting to the crime at hand.[/quote']

Sentencing is ridiculous but I have known Rastafarians who would end you over their hair/religion

Actually' date=' I am not in favor of hate crime laws. I don't believe the motivation behind someone's illegal actions should be a factor in their sentencing. Perhaps this isn't the right time or place to go into it, but it is a worthwhile debate with valid points on both side. For my part however, I object to them in a general sense.

For now, I think I will simply say this seem like a slight overstep in terms of sentencing. I realize the religious significance that we're talking about here, but I'm hoping, should they be convicted, the judge will not seek out the maximum penalty (life in prison) and instead find a lesser sentence more fitting to the crime at hand.[/quote']

My sarcasm gets missed in text, because I agree with you entirely. I cannot believe the sentence will be the maximum but to say life is a possibility for this type of crime was the main reason for me posting the story.

Religious hate crime or not, this should never be a case where Life in prison is an option.