Sign in to follow this  
Me_Against_The_World

I don't think Jones is THAT skilled or exciting to watch.

Before I catch all the flack I hear a lot of Jones haters even say they hate his personality but love to watch him fight. I don't really enjoy watching him fight, I mean I have in certain fights but the Rashad, Vitor and Rampage fights weren't exciting and I found Jones style really ugly. He dwarfs everyone he fights and everyone in the division while being so good at using his freak build.

Now before Jones came along I still knew the 205lb division was full of bums besides maybe Machida who was still a bit undersized, aged and knocked the hell out by bumgun. I don't think Jones is the most impressive and certainly not skilled champion.I haven't even seen a single fighter he's faced even really go for the win, he broke all their spirits really early into the fight ( Bader, Shogun, Rashad, Rampage and Vitor ) he's fighting old, undersized quitters.....who gas a lot.

Dominick Cruz, Jose Aldo, Ben Henderson, GSP, Anderson are probably all more skilled and athletic than Jones.

I guess this is my rant.

His style is becoming more Greg Jackson-esque. It's not as exciting as it was on his way to the top, probably because he has a lot to lose if something crazy backfires. He doesn't seem as unpredictable as we used to think he was. It's those low kicks and elbows from the guard.

He's a heavyweight fighting middleweights. At least he used to have a killer instinct but Greg has took that from him. He used to be somewhat exciting because he threw a lot of spurr of the moment, off the wall stuff that he probably saw in a Jason Stathem movie, but I think Greg told him to quit doing that also.

LHW is cleared out. If he's not going to HW then I think a heavyweight should come to him, Cain, Cormier, JDS has never looked in that great of shape, I wonder if he could cut to 205, not that he would want to, just sayin. Actually now that I think of it there is only like 3 good heavyweights lol.

He's a heavyweight fighting middleweights. At least he used to have a killer instinct but Greg has took that from him. He used to be somewhat exciting because he threw a lot of spurr of the moment' date=' off the wall stuff that he probably saw in a Jason Stathem movie, but I think Greg told him to quit doing that also.

LHW is cleared out. If he's not going to HW then I think a heavyweight should come to him, Cain, Cormier, JDS has never looked in that great of shape, I wonder if he could cut to 205, not that he would want to, just sayin. Actually now that I think of it there is only like 3 good heavyweights lol.[/quote']

Elite heavyweights are...

Cormier, Cain, Junior, Overeem, Browne, Werdum

BUT for the record I'm confident Junior and Cormier are far better at HW than they'd ever be at 205 and I don't think Cain would have anything for Jones at 205 either he'd lose a lot of strength, endurance, technical and speed advantages dropping. In history of Heavyweights even boxing smaller heavyweights were always at the top, that division hardly ever in MMA or boxing was dominated by size so idiots thinking because they can make 205 should and would be better need to learn.

Before I catch all the flack I hear a lot of Jones haters even say they hate his personality but love to watch him fight. I don't really enjoy watching him fight' date=' I mean I have in certain fights but the Rashad, Vitor and Rampage fights weren't exciting and I found Jones style really ugly. He dwarfs everyone he fights and everyone in the division while being so good at using his freak build.

Now before Jones came along I still knew the 205lb division was full of bums besides maybe Machida who was still a bit undersized, aged and knocked the hell out by bumgun. I don't think Jones is the most impressive and certainly not skilled champion.I haven't even seen a single fighter he's faced even really go for the win, he broke all their spirits really early into the fight ( Bader, Shogun, Rashad, Rampage and Vitor ) he's fighting old, undersized quitters.....who gas a lot.

Dominick Cruz, Jose Aldo, Ben Henderson, GSP, Anderson are probably all more skilled and athletic than Jones.

I guess this is my rant.[/quote']

No doubt the fighters you mentioned are more skilled. Jones has only been training in MMA for 5 years.

He may not be exciting to watch but he's definately skilled. he's not 17-1 ( 18- 0 really ) by accident or pure luck. He's basically beat everyone on the 205 pound division.

Elite heavyweights are...

Cormier' date=' Cain, Junior, Overeem, Browne, Werdum

BUT for the record I'm confident Junior and Cormier are far better at HW than they'd ever be at 205 and I don't think Cain would have anything for Jones at 205 either he'd lose a lot of strength, endurance, technical and speed advantages dropping. In history of Heavyweights even boxing smaller heavyweights were always at the top, that division hardly ever in MMA or boxing was dominated by size so idiots thinking because they can make 205 should and would be better need to learn.[/quote']

Blee Dat. So is Dana still going to make Jones cycle back through these guys he's already beat like he almost did with Machida?

No doubt the fighters you mentioned are more skilled. Jones has only been training in MMA for 5 years.

Cruz has like no backround in anything and has only been training maybe 1 or so year longer than Jones, Aldo started training around 18-19 so only 1 or 2 years longer. Jones wont progress much more, I'm seeing no real improvements with him at all....In his last 3-4 performances, honestly he was more impressive vs Bader and Shogun than his last 4 fights much more.

Before I catch all the flack I hear a lot of Jones haters even say they hate his personality but love to watch him fight. I don't really enjoy watching him fight' date=' I mean I have in certain fights but the Rashad, Vitor and Rampage fights weren't exciting and I found Jones style really ugly. He dwarfs everyone he fights and everyone in the division while being so good at using his freak build.

I guess this is my rant.[/quote']

Not skilled?!? He literally effortlessly submitted a 20 year black belt with a lock you learn in your first few sessions of BJJ.

Not skilled?!? He literally effortlessly submitted a 20 year black belt with a lock you learn in your first few sessions of BJJ.

He also transitioned from side control to a mounted crucifix in like three seconds...

Haters gonna hate...

Also got his arm ****ed by him. I don't understand why Vitor kept pulling guard, and stood right in front of him like Page and Rashad did. I was yelling at the tv, "THROW SOMETHING!"

Also got his arm ****ed by him. I don't understand why Vitor kept pulling guard' date=' and stood right in front of him like Page and Rashad did. I was yelling at the tv, "THROW SOMETHING!"[/quote']

He would've gotten KOd and he knew it. There is a reason people freeze up against JBJ when they stand with him. He brings strikes from awkward angles and can KO someone with every one of them.

Same way with Anderson. Up until the finish there's not a whole lot to write home about.

Jones finishes over Vitor and Rampage were not exciting, nor was his over Bader they just were so gassed they rolled over and set I quit submit me. His fight against Machida..that finish was epic and the beating of Shogun was up there with Andy vs Leben and Rashad vs Machida .

Jones is certainly a lot more Orthodox then he used to be. I think he is exciting to watch but because of some of his previous fights it's kinda natural to expect a lot more then he actually delivers in the way of being flamboyant and original.

Lets not forget that we are indeed dealing with an art form.

This kind of thing is typical in all different types of art. Artists become popular and start to get more orthodox and mainstream.

For example most of my favourite musicians released and produced their best stuff while they where fledgeling or up and coming.

Mainstream kills originality.

Agreed and he even admits at the presser he's not as focused on jitz and doesn't like training that aspect as much. MATW doesn't know wtf he's talking about here. Jones is plenty skilled.

You don't submit dominate and beat the crap out as many good fighters as he did and not have really good skill.

The highlight of Jone's career for me was when he did the double overhook suplex thing to Stephan Bonnar at UFC 100...watching him ragdoll Machida was pretty intense also though. The losger he's been champ, the less exciting his fights have gotten. He went from destroying Shogun with spinning back elbows, to basically throwing one kick and pushing his arms in his opponents face so they can't counter.

Either way, it's getting it done. And he's beaten some really good fighters with that strategy. I still think Aldo, Silva, and guys like that are better fighters, they just don't have Jones's build to implement the gameplan he does.

Geez...

What does a fighter have to do to pass the smell test of the "expert"-opinion on tis forum? 18 fights, 3 decisions? Nono, that's just not good enough??

That's just stupid...

And that people actually don't think he is skilled? He has tossed around some of the greatest fighters in the game for petes sake!!

Stupid...

Geez...

What does a fighter have to do to pass the smell test of the "expert"-opinion on tis forum? 18 fights' date=' 3 decisions? Nono, that's just not good enough??

That's just stupid...

And that people actually don't think he is skilled? He has tossed around some of the greatest fighters in the game for petes sake!!

Stupid...[/quote']

This^

Been saying this!

1.GSP 2.Silva 3.Bones

I think you mean....

1:Silva

2:Aldo

3:JDS

4:Jones

5:GSP

6:Cruz

And enough with this crap about Silva and GSP SERIOUSLY if GSP thinks Matt Serra hits hard he should stay FAR FAR FAR away from Silva. Real TALK

Geez...

What does a fighter have to do to pass the smell test of the "expert"-opinion on tis forum? 18 fights' date=' 3 decisions? Nono, that's just not good enough??

That's just stupid...

Stupid...[/quote']

LOL....it is because they are butthurt belfort fans and really really wanted Vitor to beat Jones. Jones is finishing his opponents, top level opponents......end of story.

Jones is really good. His extreme size advantage has nothing to do with anything. He has really good stand up. He's not fighting old crusty middleweights. His physique looks amazing at 205, there's no way he needs to go to hw. There's still tons if fights at lhw. He's proggressing as a fighter and not showing any signs of a Greg gameplan.

You're just butthurt :)

You're a mutant black skinned hispanic boy!

Honestly not butthurt at all, don't really hate Jones I just don't like him at all, same for Vitor don't really like Vitor at all either. Vitor fought horribly was afraid to engage and pressure and pulled guard a lot like he did when he fought Alistair....I'm pretty confidant to say Vinny Magalhaes would lose if he went into a fight with Jones and pulled guard his ground and pound and posture are the best in the sport.

That said I haven't enjoyed Jones vs Rashad, Vitor and Rampage I don't like any of those guys I'm not a fan of these 205lb bums with no cardio....I'm not butthurt or trying to slander Jones I'm his number 1 fan for **** sakes. Just being honest if you kids want to twist what I say and assume you're right it's cool.

Dominick Cruz' date=' Jose Aldo, Ben Henderson, GSP, Anderson are probably all more skilled and athletic than Jones.

[/b']

You're missing the part where he's only been training MMA a fraction of the time as the guys you're mentioning here.

Well after Edgar beats Aldo go ahead and throw Edgar in the mix!

Oh also on my list I didn't put Ben Henderson because Frankie whooped that ***!

Great post, homie