Sign in to follow this  
MrWhipple

Weird History Lesson: There existed a UFC before the UFC - in 1980

Sure, tough man contests have been around for a long time. If you are counting that as Mixed Martial Arts, then might as well say UFC has existed since Gladiatorial competition.

Sure' date=' tough man contests have been around for a long time. If you are counting that as Mixed Martial Arts, then might as well say UFC has existed since Gladiatorial competition.[/quote']

Gladiators used swords and tough man competitions are boxing matches, If one used the defintion of MMA from the Unified Rules

Mixed martial arts? means unarmed combat involving the us of a combination of techniques from different disciplines of the martial arts, including, without limitation, grappling, submission holds, kicking and striking.
the amount of combat sports you can call MMA is pretty narrow. Which is what makes these guys surprising because most people thought this kind of fighting wasn't taking place outside of Brazil and maybe Japan at that time.

I'm sure there was "A fighting style" vs "B fighting style" since there has been more than 2 fighting styles. The UFC was the first to organize it the way they did....at least in modern day history.

"MMA" existed way way before anyone ever realizes. The Greeks and Macedonians called it Pankratia, and it still is practiced, with competitions between villages, in rural areas of Turkey and Northern Greece.

And BTW, Shamrock and Suzuki created King of Pancrasse in Japan at least a year before UFC 1, and Vale Tudo tourneys have been going on in Brazil since the 1920's, which is what inspired Helio Gracie to create BJJ in the first place.

"MMA" existed way way before anyone ever realizes. The Greeks and Macedonians called it Pankratia' date=' and it still is practiced, with competitions between villages, in rural areas of Turkey and Northern Greece.

And BTW, Shamrock and Suzuki created King of Pancrasse in Japan at least a year before UFC 1, and Vale Tudo tourneys have been going on in Brazil since the 1920's, which is what inspired Helio Gracie to create BJJ in the first place.[/quote']

I think everyone is familiar with pankration but by all accounts it died out 1500 years ago. If you've seen evidence that it survived in Turkey and Greece, please share because everything I've read says it's been extinct for centuries.

And Shamrock and Suzuki held there first Pancrase event only a month before UFC 1.

I think everyone is familiar with pankration but by all accounts it died out 1500 years ago. If you've seen evidence that it survived in Turkey and Greece' date=' please share because everything I've read says it's been extinct for centuries.

And Shamrock and Suzuki held there first Pancrase event only a month before UFC 1.[/quote']

I saw it on one of those Discovery channel shows where the athletes go to different places to train in aboriginal and traditional sports. It might have been the one with the Belator announcer (I forget his name) Now that you mention it, I believe they said it was gone for several centuries but had been recently revived by locals in remote areas of Turkey. It is of course very limited, but pankration is still the very first form of organized MMA.

That first King of Pancrasse may have been just a month before, but it had been in the works, and scheduled and cancelled I think twice, long before that.

All details and semantics, I just get a little annoyed when UFC1 is touted as the birth of the sport. All the UFC did was make a package that would sell in America, and it took 10 years and completely new ownership and management for that to really happen.

I saw it on one of those Discovery channel shows where the athletes go to different places to train in aboriginal and traditional sports. It might have been the one with the Belator announcer (I forget his name) Now that you mention it' date=' I believe they said it was gone for several centuries but had been recently revived by locals in remote areas of Turkey. It is of course very limited, but pankration is still the very first form of organized MMA.

That first King of Pancrasse may have been just a month before, but it had been in the works, and scheduled and cancelled I think twice, long before that.

All details and semantics, I just get a little annoyed when UFC1 is touted as the birth of the sport. All the UFC did was make a package that would sell in America, and it took 10 years and completely new ownership and management for that to really happen.[/quote']

Yeah seems like maybe Bill Duff did a show about that on the The Human Weapon once.

Fighting is about as old as it comes

What made UFC different was no rules and no weight classes...and the fact that it was an organized tournament...they kind of lost the coolness of it a bit with the million weight classes and rules, but still it's the closest thing to no-holds barred fighting

I saw it on one of those Discovery channel shows where the athletes go to different places to train in aboriginal and traditional sports. It might have been the one with the Belator announcer (I forget his name) Now that you mention it' date=' I believe they said it was gone for several centuries but had been recently revived by locals in remote areas of Turkey. It is of course very limited, but pankration is still the very first form of organized MMA.

All details and semantics, I just get a little annoyed when UFC1 is touted as the birth of the sport. All the UFC did was make a package that would sell in America, and it took 10 years and completely new ownership and management for that to really happen.[/quote']

Didn't mean to sound like I was arguing, just was curious if there was any new evidence that pankration lasted longer. And I agree about UFC 1. Everyone always thinks it was the beginning of the sport but it really was just a Vale Tudo fight in a cage, so it was just continuing what was had been going on for decades in Brazil - and what had just restarted in Japan.

If your really interested in the history there's a writer named John Nash that does really in-depth articles about the history of MMA, pro wrestling, and jiu-jitsu.

http://www.cagesideseats.com/css-features-guest-columnist-john-s-nash