now illegal to spank your kids

BruteDion

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have posted a few thread bout stupid people and backwards way of the people in my area

This is my next threat...it is now illegal to spank your kids in Delaware lol

http://www.adventistonline.com/m/blogpost?id=1451550%3ABlogPost%3A3399617

Got signed onto law sept.12

Wow...you can do a year in jail for this lol

Crazy how different it is in different states. I thought someone hitting a child with a belt (at least other than the parent, although I personally disagree with that), or biting them, pushing them into a wall, etc would be considered abusive- not in texas.

Hitting a child is ridiculous anyway. It should be illegal everywhere.

Different kids respond to different things...spankings (not beatings) should always be an option

It would be great if a child would stop beating up his little sister if you sent him to his room for an hour but some kids need a spanking to learn not to do something (example...I'm not a parent)

I'm a parent a few times over... I can assure you, spanking followed by love works. Other forms of controlled strategic discipline obviously work also, but there is something about the short lasting sting of an accurate swat to the bare butt of a rebellious strong willed child that seems to be very effective.

Spare the rod, spoil the child.

I'm a parent a few times over... I can assure you' date=' spanking followed by love works. Other forms of controlled strategic discipline obviously work also, but there is something about the short lasting sting of an accurate swat to the bare butt of a rebellious strong willed child that seems to be very effective.

Spare the rod, spoil the child.[/quote']

+1. Correct on all counts

I was once told some wise words from my mother that still ring true to this day. She said "if you can't out smart a child and your only fix for the problem is hitting them' date=' you've got problems." This coming from a woman who is a Republican, grew up in a very strict Irish family, and is a devout catholic.[/quote']

Hitting and spanking are altogether different.

I was once told some wise words from my mother that still ring true to this day. She said "if you can't out smart a child and your only fix for the problem is hitting them' date=' you've got problems." This coming from a woman who is a Republican, grew up in a very strict Irish family, and is a devout catholic.[/quote']

At least we know why you are mentally retarded kevblow.

Hitting and spanking are two different things.

Funny it worked out great for me and my parents and there parents and so on.

No wonder we have so many horrible kids growing up now. Society has grown far to soft. What's next you can't talk in a stern voice to a kid because it's verbal abuse:rolleyes:

Bunch of ****in' pansies now days.:P

No wonder we have so many horrible kids growing up now. Society has grown far to soft. What's next you can't talk in a stern voice to a kid because it's verbal abuse:rolleyes:

^ this. yes.

Well it's threatening them to do things you want them to otherwise they face physical pain. I don't think that's what you should want to teach kids.

Well it's threatening them to do things you want them to otherwise they face physical pain. I don't think that's what you should want to teach kids.

Im not saying it should be the go to method for parents but it's just another tool that works as long as you talk to them too and let them know you do it out of love and explain to them what they did wrong.

My moms was old school and sometimes used to sit us in the corner on our knees on rice. It was ****ing brutal and she only did it if it was something really bad and let me tell you we never did it again.

Good luck talking your kids into what you want them to be. Wont work, but good luck trying.

Reality is, a spanking is a great tool to help your children learn and grow.

My Daughter got one, my son two and I dare anyone to find more respectable, responsible kids their age.

Kids these days are ****ed up because they have more rights than the parents and they damn well know it.

I am all for smacking in extreme situations (like if my child stole something or caught them bullying someone) but in general I agree with Kevbo in there are better ways to teach a child a lesson than the old Christian (do what I say or I will hurt you) way. Thankfully I have never had to smack any of my kids yet and hope I never have to. I want my kids not to do bad things because they know it is bad, not because fear of retribution.

I have no children of my own, but my personal experience growing up basically was my parents smacked me probably no more then four or five times, always with an open hand, and with enough force to wake me up to myself without actually hurting me.

I can say now as an adult that I deserved every one, as I had left my parents little option, and each time was only after attempting other methods of discipline had failed.

It was an effective way for me to learn to obey rules and to learn respect for other people, but it's not going to work for every child. The most important thing to remember is that as a parent is just to show your child all the love and affection you can, and that having a good relationship with your child will benefit you both for life

I never understood parents that teach kids by putting their hands on them. I watched my best friend have the crap beat out of him by his father because he got into a fight at school. I remember being 15 and knowing better than his dad. You don't teach not to fight by ...fighting. Lol WTF? It's lazy parenting and not necessary.

I never understood parents that teach kids by putting their hands on them. I watched my best friend have the crap beat out of him by his father because he got into a fight at school. I remember being 15 and knowing better than his dad. You don't teach not to fight by ...fighting. Lol WTF? It's lazy parenting and not necessary.

See, thats the thing, nobody's advocating for mindless violence against kids anytime they dont behave. There is a difference in how you discipline a small child who mindlessly runs out into the middle of the street (I have always wondered, do toddlers have some strange magnetic attraction to roads that compels them to run straight for them any chance they get??!!) vs a child of equal age, or older, that perhaps keeps interrupting or refuses to clean his room.

Certain situations require stern and unambiguous responses to make it clear that behavior in that very moment is not only unacceptable but perhaps even dangerous.

Id also like to add that spanking is more age specific, as the older a child becomes and is more capable of understanding verbal direction, it is then easier to communicate with them in a non violent way.

I don't agree with spanking. I don't think we should use physical violence to teach lessons.

With that said, when I was a child I was spanked with hands as well as wooden spoons. I don't hold it against my parents in any way and I turned out just fine.

Making it illegal is ****ing silly. It should be up to a parent to how they discipline their own offspring. (Within reason of course)

I don't agree with spanking. I don't think we should use physical violence to teach lessons.

With that said' date=' when I was a child I was spanked with hands as well as wooden spoons. I don't hold it against my parents in any way and I turned out just fine.

Making it illegal is ****ing silly. It should be up to a parent to how they discipline their own offspring. (Within reason of course)[/quote']

There is a substantial difference between disciplining your child with a spanking vs abusing them with violence.

Different kids respond to different things...spankings (not beatings) should always be an option

It would be great if a child would stop beating up his little sister if you sent him to his room for an hour but some kids need a spanking to learn not to do something (example...I'm not a parent)

^ getting hurt is our natural way of learning not to do something' date=' so spanking a child is an appropriate method of teaching. some kids are stupid and u gotta spank them or paddle their asp with a wooden spoon. but its important to know that spanking and hitting are two different things

I'm a parent a few times over... I can assure you, spanking followed by love works. Other forms of controlled strategic discipline obviously work also, but there is something about the short lasting sting of an accurate swat to the bare butt of a rebellious strong willed child that seems to be very effective.

Spare the rod, spoil the child.

^^

Hitting and spanking are altogether different.

^^^

thats abuse, there is spanking, or in my case getting hit on the *** with a belt and then there is punching the **** out of ur kid. those are two different things. one teaches u not to be a **** the other makes u a ****

No, kids are horrible because most parents are lazy. A 2 minute wall sit is far more effective than spanking. I don't mean sitting on a chair by a wall. I mean they are the chair leaning against the wall with their legs at a 90 degree angle. Spanking children, especially young children only teaches them that when someone makes them angry, that they can hit them...

No' date=' kids are horrible because most parents are lazy. A 2 minute wall sit is far more effective than spanking. I don't mean sitting on a chair by a wall. I mean they are the chair leaning against the wall with their legs at a 90 degree angle. Spanking children, especially young children only teaches them that when someone makes them angry, that they can hit them...[/quote']

well no it taught me to respect my parents' god damned authority. and hitting someone for making u angry is a natural instinct of ours, look at all the animals that attack each other from some form of instigation, its normal. its within the person to know when to or when to not hit, and once again spanking ur child isnt gonna make them a sociopath, beating them with fists will

I have no children of my own' date=' but my personal experience growing up basically was my parents smacked me probably no more then four or five times, always with an open hand, and with enough force to wake me up to myself without actually hurting me.

I can say now as an adult that I deserved every one, as I had left my parents little option, and each time was only after attempting other methods of discipline had failed.

It was an effective way for me to learn to obey rules and to learn respect for other people, but it's not going to work for every child. [b']The most important thing to remember is that as a parent is just to show your child all the love and affection you can, and that having a good relationship with your child will benefit you both for life[/b]

I think what you said here is a huge factor that is often overlooked when discussing parenting. Its not enough just to have an understanding of whether its "ok" to spank - its all important to have a healthy relationship with your child to know their needs and be the best parent for them, and not necessarily every other kid.

well no it taught me to respect my parents' god damned authority. and hitting someone for making u angry is a natural instinct of ours' date=' look at all the animals that attack each other from some form of instigation, its normal. its within the person to know when to or when to not hit, and once again spanking ur child isnt gonna make them a sociopath, beating them with fists will[/quote']

First of all, we are not animals. We are human beings with high mental capacities. I'll use my children as an example. I don't often raise my voice to them and I never hit or spank them. Yet somehow they always know that when I do raise my voice, its time for them to straighten up. This is because I'm a rather large man with a deep voice. They also know that when I raise my voice that its time to pull back on their reigns because something that causes them pain is about to start happening(ie wall sits). I'm not against someone spanking their child because it does work for some, but its just not my style and my kids are far from rebellious, misbehaving hoodlums. I base my parenting off of what I learned as a child. I was hit and spanked when I was a child and all it did was make me violent towards my father when I got old enough, and big enough to defend myself. It's important to remember, violence begets more violence. There are far more effective ways to discipline a child but it requires you to have the time, patience, and discipline to carry out punishments.

First of all' date=' we are not animals. We are human beings with high mental capacities. I'll use my children as an example. I don't often raise my voice to them and I never hit or spank them. Yet somehow they always know that when I do raise my voice, its time for them to straighten up. This is because I'm a rather large man with a deep voice. They also know that when I raise my voice that its time to pull back on their reigns because something that causes them pain is about to start happening(ie wall sits). I'm not against someone spanking their child because it does work for some, but its just not my style and my kids are far from rebellious, misbehaving hoodlums. I base my parenting off of what I learned as a child. I was hit and spanked when I was a child and all it did was make me violent towards my father when I got old enough, and big enough to defend myself. It's important to remember, violence begets more violence. There are far more effective ways to discipline a child but it requires you to have the time, patience, and discipline to carry out punishments.[/quote']

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that you probably have girls and not boys. Just a guess though.

I hate having to give out a spanking, but when I do, it's after multiple other forms of discipline are sought. It's always last resort. Either way, I'm going to try me some "wall sits" the next time I have to discipline.

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that you probably have girls and not boys. Just a guess though.

I hate having to give out a spanking' date=' but when I do, it's after multiple other forms of discipline are sought. It's always last resort. Either way, I'm going to try me some "wall sits" the next time I have to discipline.[/quote']

3 boys, 2 girls actually. The boys respond better to me raising my voice than the girls do. It also may have something to do with them seeing me scruff my full grown 90lb boxer and throwing him out of the back door when he got into the trash.

Impressive. You officially have a quiver full.

Meh, making babies isn't hard. Teaching them to be honest, good people is. I'm sure some of this will change as they get older(none of them are in their late teens yet) but I have always been patient with children in the past. I used to volunteer in after school programs in my early twenties to keep kids who were born in bad areas from repeating the cycles that turned their neighborhoods into filth. It's just my opinion, but I've always felt that taking more of an educator stance with kids, to include my own, rather than an iron fisted disciplinarian was more effective. Barring a child with mental disabilities, kids are mostly the same. They respond best to having their minds actively engaged and being given tasks and problems to figure out on their own.(with guidance when needed of course)

First of all' date=' we are not animals. We are human beings with high mental capacities. I'll use my children as an example. I don't often raise my voice to them and I never hit or spank them. Yet somehow they always know that when I do raise my voice, its time for them to straighten up. This is because I'm a rather large man with a deep voice. They also know that when I raise my voice that its time to pull back on their reigns because something that causes them pain is about to start happening(ie wall sits). I'm not against someone spanking their child because it does work for some, but its just not my style and my kids are far from rebellious, misbehaving hoodlums. I base my parenting off of what I learned as a child. I was hit and spanked when I was a child and all it did was make me violent towards my father when I got old enough, and big enough to defend myself. It's important to remember, violence begets more violence. There are far more effective ways to discipline a child but it requires you to have the time, patience, and discipline to carry out punishments.[/quote']

well yes we are animals, no matter how much u want to believe we arent, difference between us and and other animals is we are smarter, but in certain situations that doesnt matter so our primitive side shows up

Figure 1:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre (nsfw)

thats one of the really bad ones, and i can put up more examples but u get the point

. also i dont know how ur dad beat u but it was the wrong way, if hes beating u past the age of 5 thats already one problem, if u see the beating in a comedic sense (aka simpsons- homer choking bart) ull see its not that serious and ull understand it better. if ur dad beat u to a level where u feared him... then thats abuse, thats not spanking, or punishing, thats straight beating u up... so i still dont think u see the difference on those 2. they key is to make ur child scared of the spanking itself... not the spanker

Sounds to me like SHE needed to be spanked.

well yes we are animals' date=' no matter how much u want to believe we arent, difference between us and and other animals is we are smarter, but in certain situations that doesnt matter so our primitive side shows up

Figure 1:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanking_Massacre (nsfw)

thats one of the really bad ones, and i can put up more examples but u get the point

. also i dont know how ur dad beat u but it was the wrong way, if hes beating u past the age of 5 thats already one problem, if u see the beating in a comedic sense (aka simpsons- homer choking bart) ull see its not that serious and ull understand it better. if ur dad beat u to a level where u feared him... then thats abuse, thats not spanking, or punishing, thats straight beating u up... so i still dont think u see the difference on those 2. they key is to make ur child scared of the spanking itself... not the spanker[/quote']

... And what I'm telling you is there are plenty of ways to make a kid "fear" punishment other than using violence.

The late' date=' great Bernie Mac said it best. "I?ll kick a kid ***. When a kid gets one years old, I believe you have the right to hit them in the throat or the stomach. If you?re grown enough to talk back, you?re grown up enough to get ****ed up."[/quote']

... And you're grown enough to get your butt kicked when that kid becomes a man.

lol' date=' it was a joke.:D What's wrong Kevbo, the grocery store all out of tin foil?:P

80% of what I say on here is meant as a joke. 42% is serious. 19% is trolling. See.[/quote']

I'm sure you were joking as my comment was a bit tongue in cheek, but some of the other posters in here are a bit disturbing. Even if you stop spanking at 5 years of age, you have still created a pattern that do something bad>parent gets angry>I get hit.

So then when said kid goes to school, classmate says something stupid that kids normally say>kid who was spanked gets mad>hits kid who said something stupid. What's even better is when a "spanking" parent's kid get suspended from school for pattern behavior learned at an early age, the angry parent punishes kid for being violent... With violence. O.o

No wonder society is going to hell in a hand basket. It's adults are just as simple minded as it's children.

Archived