An Inside Look at the NYPD's Stop-and-Frisk Policy

SVTContour98

So, how are they getting around the "must have a warrant to conduct searches and seizures" legislation that is in place? It would seem to me that protection granted under the constitution and bill of rights would grant you the permission to decline unwarranted searches. I have exercised those rights in traffic stops a couple of times throughout my life.

So' date=' how are they getting around the "must have a warrant to conduct searches and seizures" legislation that is in place? It would seem to me that protection granted under the constitution and bill of rights would grant you the permission to decline unwarranted searches. I have exercised those rights in traffic stops a couple of times throughout my life.[/quote']

I don't know, that's a good question.

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

As a black male with near waist length dreadlocks, anytime I'm visiting NYC imma be wearing a suit and tie to go to the grocery store. Imma be in the gym in suit!!!

On a serious note though, many people are not aware of their rights and are unable to stand up for themselves. Unfortunatley if you do you run the risk of being brought up on some trumped charge like resisiting arrest etc.

As a black male with near waist length dreadlocks' date=' anytime I'm visiting NYC imma be wearing a suit and tie to go to the grocery store. Imma be in the gym in suit!!!

On a serious note though, many people are not aware of their rights and are unable to stand up for themselves. Unfortunatley if you do you run the risk of being brought up on some trumped[b'] charge like resisiting arrest[/b] etc.

I've never understood how you can be arrested for resisting arrest, that is just crazy. It should be something that they can add as an additional charge, but not as a lone charge

So' date=' how are they getting around the "must have a warrant to conduct searches and seizures" legislation that is in place? It would seem to me that protection granted under the constitution and bill of rights would grant you the permission to decline unwarranted searches. I have exercised those rights in traffic stops a couple of times throughout my life.[/quote']

I don't see how that would stop them from giving someone a beating/groping, and then making up whatever story they wanted.

and it works? up here if they are suspicious and they think you have something on you and you refuse to let them check it out, they will arrest you for obstructing the law and then do what they want anyways.

all they have to do is claim you match the description of someoneone who just committed a crime, or make up a bs story about how they are looking for people reported to be out smashing beer bottles....and thats a good enough probably cause to search your backpack or belongings...even though its total bs and it probably never happened. Any reason. they can even just say you smelled kjnd of funny.

Archived