Jon Jones vs Chael Sonnen for TUF 17 Sets a Horrible Precedent

Doctor_Obviously

Here it is. We've been on here complaining for a few hours and the whole MMA world is in an uproar. Good read:

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/10/16/3513108/jon-jones-versus-chael-sonnen-for-tuf-17-reeks-of-desperation

This sums it up nicely...

In terms of pay-per-view draws, both Jones and Sonnen are likely top five. Jones for his incredible in-cage ability and Sonnen for his spectacular talents outside the cage, brazenly confident with his words and being the ultimate entertainer.

That being said, this move reeks of desperation.

Dana White has time and time again defended the UFC by stating that they get the best fighters in the world to fight each other. This move, hands down, is not the case. Maybe on short notice, a fight like Anderson Silva vs. Stephan Bonnar or Vitor Belfort vs. Jon Jones makes sense as an emergency fill-in, but this is unacceptable. Instead of a short notice replacement, this fight will get a solid six months of build-time.

Chael Sonnen does not deserve a title shot of this magnitude. Not even close.

LOL at getting a title shot based on words that come out of his mouth..... and Discuss. :cool:

lol' date=' yet the main idiot made the idiotic fight.

Sorry Dana.

Oh wait, nevermind, you're on Twitter.[/quote']

I honestly would respect him a lot if he just came out and said:

"You know what? Yeah, we're struggling with TUF and need to keep it entertaining so we did this."

I bet however he's going to somehow try and legitimize this ridiculous decision...

I also bet he'll use that same old excuse of males between 18-34 thing, like that means something.

I honestly would respect him a lot if he just came out and said:

"You know what? Yeah' date=' we're struggling with TUF and need to keep it entertaining so we did this."

I bet however he's going to somehow try and legitimize this ridiculous decision...

I also bet he'll use that same old excuse of males between 18-34 thing, like that means something.[/quote']

They could have kept Chael as the entertaining coach without giving him an undeserving title shot.

if Dan Henderson was a coach he would have brought Chael in.......

I'd find it hilarious if Chael somehow beat Jones and Hendo beat Machida.....I'd love to see Sonnen vs Hendo. lol

Well' date=' it really does seem like Jones is here to stay as champ. So I don't see what the problem is fattening him up with entertaining fights between meaningful defenses.[/quote']

And this, ladies and gentlemen is relative of why lots of haters refer to Anderson Silva as a can-crusher. Welcome to the can crushing era, Jon Jones.

Jon Jones will be in an environment filled with alcohol. Jones' past complications with alcohol and pedophilia makes the UFC look bad. Jones is also undeserving of a fight with Chael. The UFC dun goof'd on this one.

Don't merge this thread, it isn't the same one.

Jon Jones will be in an environment filled with alcohol. Jones' past complications with alcohol and pedophilia makes the UFC look bad. Jones is also undeserving of a fight with Chael. The UFC dun goof'd on this one.

Don't merge this thread' date=' it isn't the same one.[/quote']

die in a fire

Interesting TV, but Sonnen still doesn't deserve a title shot, losing his last fight in a lower weight class. This fight only made sense when they needed someone at a day's notice, now they can pick anyone from a whole division, and they pick a guy that hasn't fought at 205 in over 5 years? Intradasting

Does anyone actually care to see this? Jones is an amazing fighter but it's due to his athleticism (not a knock on him) and you can't teach someone that. Not to mention people wanted Jones vs Sonnen to save 151, does anyone really want to see this now? I would much rather Jones was paired with a top 5 LHW. Hell could have Shogun and Jones coach and just so Shogun can win something they could have the coaches challenge be a pie eatting contest

Does anyone actually care to see this? Jones is an amazing fighter but it's due to his athleticism (not a knock on him) and you can't teach someone that. Not to mention people wanted Jones vs Sonnen to save 151' date=' does anyone really want to see this now? I would much rather Jones was paired with a top 5 LHW. Hell could have Shogun and Jones coach and just so Shogun can win something they could have the coaches challenge be a pie eatting contest[/quote']

Jones only eats 15 year old pie.

Good for them. Who cares who deserves a title shot anymore. These 2 will be a good fight for sure. And you all know you're not going to miss it. Mission accomplished by Dana right there. As far as I'm concerned, grudge fights are way more exciting than most other fights anyway. Now as far as TUF goes, I think the appeal is becoming more about the coaches than the guys trying to make it to the UFC.

Archived