Sign in to follow this  
RogerJones620

Will there ever be another fighter as good as Jon Jones?

In our lifetimes? I figure he is like Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant, basically someone who only comes along once every generation??? What do you guys think? I don't see anyone in the current UFC roster rising to his status, and being able to maintain it for so long.

He wins his fights but somehow he never looks like he's doing these amazing things. I mean looking at Anderson your jaw sometimes drops, like that sidestep he did to simply avoid Bonnar's spinning back kick. jones always looks dominant but he looks more like he's simply physically overpowering his opponents then having a superhuman ability to judge timing and distance.

It's hard to explain but even after all those victories he doesn't look particularly special to me...not Silva special or prime Hughes special..

He wins his fights but somehow he never looks like he's doing these amazing things. I mean looking at Anderson your jaw sometimes drops' date=' like that sidestep he did to simply avoid Bonnar's spinning back kick. jones always looks dominant but he looks more like he's simply physically overpowering his opponents then having a superhuman ability to judge timing and distance.

It's hard to explain but even after all those victories he doesn't look particularly special to me...not Silva special or prime Hughes special..[/quote']

Thank you u saved my time on saying exactly what I think.

This ^

He wins his fights but somehow he never looks like he's doing these amazing things. I mean looking at Anderson your jaw sometimes drops' date=' like that sidestep he did to simply avoid Bonnar's spinning back kick. jones always looks dominant but he looks more like he's simply physically overpowering his opponents then having a superhuman ability to judge timing and distance.

It's hard to explain but even after all those victories he doesn't look particularly special to me...not Silva special or prime Hughes special..[/quote']

That is because JBJ is not waitting to counter....he is actively stalking and ready to do whatever. Machida has done the same thing......he has dodged and side stepped many times but Machida doesn't drop his hands and toy with his opponents, otherwise Machida could do the same thing Silva does.....just drop your hands and head bobbing-n-weaving while keeping a safe distance. Yes I believe machida can outstrike Silva especially if Silva and his camp have said so.

JBJ is still young and has way many more fights left than Silva and can easily rise above Silva. Also JBJ will head into HW eventually which will make him look even better especially if he starts beating HW's.

I might get bashed for this... For me Jon Jones will be to Anderson Silva what Michael Jordan was to Magic Johnson...

Magic was more entertaining to watch, he was llike a globe trotter, and he was actually good, he was a one man show inside the court... Michael Jordan happened to be skilled more than others and that advantage was too much for his fellow team members and rivals...

Anderson is more entertaining to watch, he is sometimes like a show in an MMA cage... Jones has a innate advantage over others and that makes him stand out, not to say he knows how to use that advantage on his behalf...

That is because JBJ is not waitting to counter....he is actively stalking and ready to do whatever. Machida has done the same thing......he has dodged and side stepped many times but Machida doesn't drop his hands and toy with his opponents' date=' [b']otherwise Machida could do the same thing Silva does.....just drop your hands and head bobbing-n-weaving while keeping a safe distance[/b]. Yes I believe machida can outstrike Silva especially if Silva and his camp have said so.

JBJ is still young and has way many more fights left than Silva and can easily rise above Silva. Also JBJ will head into HW eventually which will make him look even better especially if he starts beating HW's.

sure **** , because it is so easy to fight with your hands down.... Seriously there are tons of idiots in this forum , you being one for sure

I'm sure there will always be skilled fighters that are too afraid to fight in their proper weight class.

Outside of heavyweight, isn't that like every fighter except Frankie Edgar?

Of course there will be better fighters. A lot of guys in MMA now started training in other diciplines first. You have kids now growing up training in nothing but MMA. The sport of MMA isn't even old compared to other combat sports. You're going to get the freak athletes like Jones and Brock who have studied in MMA since they were children. They might not seem as good because the competition will get better too. As MMA grows, so will the pay checks. You'll get people that were born to be stars in the NFL, NBA, or some other sport and they will be in MMA instead. Jones busted out on the scenes like 7 to 10 years too early. People will catch up.

In our lifetimes? I figure he is like Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant' date=' basically someone who only comes along once every generation??? What do you guys think? I don't see anyone in the current UFC roster rising to his status, and being able to maintain it for so long.[/quote']

:confused:...before JBJ...We have Anderson Silva...the ****ing GOAT...(and im not a fan of both);)

jones is a tool and hes not special...hes reverse fedor which means his "legacy" if you wanna call this that, is tainted...when he goes up to HW you will see him for the can he is

jones is a tool and hes not special...hes reverse fedor which means his "legacy" if you wanna call this that' date=' is tainted...when he goes up to HW you will see him for the can he is[/quote']

Yep, I mean Vitor, and Machida gave him trouble who should be in MW. And look who Jones is lined up to fight next for his 6th title defense ... another MW.

Fedor is a legend, I honestly don't think he even cut weight, he just trained and went into a fight. Imagine Fedor cutting weight to go down to the weight class he belongs hah that would be a killer.

There are many fighters as good and better than Jones right now. They are all in his true weightclass.

That's middleweight right? He's fighting all these middleweights in preparation for dropping down.. ? :confused:

That is because JBJ is not waitting to counter....he is actively stalking and ready to do whatever. Machida has done the same thing......he has dodged and side stepped many times but Machida doesn't drop his hands and toy with his opponents' date=' otherwise Machida could do the same thing Silva does.....just drop your hands and head bobbing-n-weaving while keeping a safe distance. [b'] Yes I believe machida can outstrike Silva especially if Silva and his camp have said so.[/b]

That was to sell Machida when he was unbeaten imo Anderson also used to say BJ Penn was P4P #1 he isn't the kinda guy who says I'm better than everyone especially training partners. Silva also has a much better chin and head movement he would finish Machida if they fought.

Give Jones' career 10 more years and you won't even remember who Anderson was. Unless they fight' date=' of course.[/quote']

That's sad, but probably true. Once a fighter retires they seem to fade into oblivion really fast.

That was to sell Machida when he was unbeaten imo Anderson also used to say BJ Penn was P4P #1 he isn't the kinda guy who says I'm better than everyone especially training partners. Silva also has a much better chin and head movement he would finish Machida if they fought.

Damn right he would.

Anderson also said he'd retire if Jose Aldo fought at MW, lol.

That's sad' date=' but probably true. Once a fighter retires they seem to fade into oblivion really fast.[/quote']

Not true...

People still remember Couture, Liddell, Fedor, Crocop, Royce, Shamrock...

I think the only fighter who has been forgotten (not fair IMO) is Matt Hughes...

Give Jones' career 10 more years and you won't even remember who Anderson was. Unless they fight' date=' of course.[/quote']

jones will be dead in 10 years

In our lifetimes? I figure he is like Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant' date=' basically someone who only comes along once every generation??? What do you guys think? I don't see anyone in the current UFC roster rising to his status, and being able to maintain it for so long.[/quote']

there already has been better fighters than JJ like Anderson, Aldo or Fedor. And as good as Jones is, im sure we will see him lose at some point.

He wins his fights but somehow he never looks like he's doing these amazing things. I mean looking at Anderson your jaw sometimes drops' date=' like that sidestep he did to simply avoid Bonnar's spinning back kick. jones always looks dominant but he looks more like he's simply physically overpowering his opponents then having a superhuman ability to judge timing and distance.[/quote']

That's because he is fighting the top guys while anderson fights the number 24 guy

Doubt it. If Jones moves up to HW like he says he will, he will lose at some point. Anderson will likely retire undefeated (in the UFC), and he will hold so many records it's stupid.

Doubt it. If Jones moves up to HW like he says he will' date=' he will lose at some point. Anderson will likely retire undefeated (in the UFC), and he will hold so many records it's stupid.[/quote']

And he'll still be the only fighter to apply "the matrix" to his fighting style.

All this talk about Jones and his abilities is simply because of where Anderson is in his career.

His last few fights weren't very impressive to me, but he's still got a long way to go.

If he can make the weight, he can fight in the division. He's never missed weight (lolRumble). I'm not sure why people are so upset about him fighting LHW unless it's simply because of his destruction of their favorite fighters. It's funny to me that the same people who talk about his weight are the same ones who are completely fine with Silva going to a different division just to fight him.

Anderson is only relying on superior reflexes.