Chael and the 1 %

Jgrif

I don't understand why there is so much drama about this.... The only argument I have heard is Chael hasn't fought anyone at lhw. Which is a very valid point I might add but every coin has two sides

Pretend like you run a company for a moment. In mid month you are given a major assignment worth millions of dollars. You go to multiple people in the company all deserving with experience and ask them to step up and help. All of the people you ask make an excuse about why they can't step up. In the corner you have a credible worker with no experience and you don't have to ask him to step up. He is a opportunist who asks you to step up.

Its simple company policy anywhere you reward the people that are loyal to the business. None of the othe lhws were willing to put there neck out on the line against Jones but one. This is why Chael deserves the shot, even if it is a bit like sending a sheep to slaughter Chael has about a 1% chance if that to win.

Kind of ironic that a man with no nuts has more balls then half of the lhw division

I don't understand why there is so much drama about this.... The only argument I have heard is Chael hasn't fought anyone at lhw. Which is a very valid point I might add but every coin has two sides

Pretend like you run a company for a moment. In mid month you are given a major assignment worth millions of dollars. You go to multiple people in the company all deserving with experience and ask them to step up and help. All of the people you ask make an excuse about why they can't step up. In the corner you have a credible worker with no experience and you don't have to ask him to step up. He is a opportunist who asks you to step up.

Its simple company policy anywhere you reward the people that are loyal to the business. None of the othe lhws were willing to put there neck out on the line against Jones but one. This is why Chael deserves the shot' date=' even if it is a bit like sending a sheep to slaughter Chael has about a 1% chance if that to win.

Kind of ironic that a man with no nuts has more balls then half of the lhw division[/quote']

lol last line made me laugh

i agree with you to only a small extent. Gustafson and Texeira were never asked...There's a lot of credibly LHW contenders...even Phil Davis. I see why he would jump Shogun and Machida, but it was not fair to let him jump everyone else

dana DEFINITELY plays favorites and that's why he did this (also high ratings). everyone knows that...however, a lot of us will admit that it will be entertaining and it will get a lot of us to care about TUF that lost interest in that show

anyways, i'm over it now. i think it will backfire on chael too because this will be such a high-profile match and this will hurt his image for a while

i agree with you to only a small extent. Gustafson and Texeira were never asked...There's a lot of credibly LHW contenders...even Phil Davis. I see why he would jump Shogun and Machida' date=' but it was not fair to let him jump everyone else

dana DEFINITELY plays favorites and that's why he did this (also high ratings). everyone knows that...however, a lot of us will admit that it will be entertaining and it will get a lot of us to care about TUF that lost interest in that show

anyways, i'm over it now. i think it will backfire on chael too because this will be such a high-profile match and this will hurt his image for a while[/quote']

Gus would have been the only option

Glover is soooooo overrated its not even funny...his cardio is terrible and he has a padded record

The winners of these fights will fight for thes belt next: Evans vs Machida 2 or Evans vs Hendo Rua vs Gus

Thread started is right minus Sonnen having a 1% chance...That insulting tbh. Sonnen can win this fight just like anyone else who gets in the cage. Bones is going to stand and use his range but don't be shocked if Sonnen can take him down and hold him down.

Its simple company policy anywhere you reward the people that are loyal to the business. None of the othe lhws were willing to put there neck out on the line against Jones but one. This is why Chael deserves the shot' date=' even if it is a bit like sending a sheep to slaughter Chael has about a 1% chance if that to win.

Kind of ironic that a man with no nuts has more balls then half of the lhw division[/quote']

In this scenario Sonnen would be the worst worker in the group, who never did a good job, but continuously ran his mouth like he was a good worker.

This is just bs, the only reason for Chael stepping up is that he was given an opportunity that he would have never gotten otherwise. It was his only realistic chance for a title fight again, why is this so difficult for people to understand?! :confused:

Compare to Machida who the same morons think ducked Jones, he didnt "step up" because he would most likely get a title shot anyway soon in a proper manner and doesnt want to ruin possibly his last chance for the LHW title with a late replacement.

People are just so stupid...

This is just bs' date=' the only reason for Chael stepping up is that he was given an opportunity that he would have never gotten otherwise. It was his only realistic chance for a title fight again, why is this so difficult for people to understand?! :confused:

Compare to Machida who the same morons think ducked Jones, he didnt "step up" because he would most likely get a title shot anyway soon in a proper manner and doesnt want to ruin possibly his last chance for the LHW title with a late replacement.

People are just so stupid...[/quote']

You sir, are very correct.

You sir' date=' are very correct.[/quote']

I just dont get why people cannot understand this :(

The only reason for JBJ vs Chael is for Chaels trolling and the potential drama the TUF season and pre fight trash talk will come with it...hence more ppv buys and higher TUF ratings. It has nothing to do with the Chael being a worthy opponent.

All it translates to is Chael's obsession with getting a title belt....a promise he made to his father.

I didn't know Dana was doing Celebrity Apprentice???

donald-trump.jpg

You sound like the casual fan who has no concept of the integrity of the sport. Do us all a favor and discontinue any thought in the future of starting a thread that requires a well thought out opinion and logic. We are all just a little bit dumber now after having read your post.

I just dont get why people cannot understand this :(

The only reason for JBJ vs Chael is for Chaels trolling and the potential drama the TUF season and pre fight trash talk will come with it...hence more ppv buys and higher TUF ratings. It has nothing to do with the Chael being a worthy opponent.

I'm sure his ability to put the p4p best fighter on the planet on his back for six 5 min. rounds feeding him knuckle sandwiches has nothing to do with it. Nore his ability to submit the former WEC MW Champion.

No these things don't matter. Neither does the fact he was ready to take on the most dominant LHW champ in the history of the UFC on 8 days notice.

And for the record, he may have done it for the titleshot but that doesn't make it any less gutsy. It's not like he's taking on Jones in game of chess. He was an out of shape MW at the time he was willing to fight what is essentially a large HW that had just finished a full camp in a 25 min. FIGHT, not a sparring session, but a full on physical confrontation.

As a fan after over 150 events you can easily mistake the octagon for an entertainment stage. But to the guys inside it's still a combat ground in a fight game with so little rules it's still illegal in NY. These guys put their health on the line everytime they step in that cage.

Taking a fight with a monster like Jones on 8 days notice ? If Dana's phone hadn't been so quiet back at 151 we would have had an event.

Chael has a big mouth an it's everyone's right to dislike that, but you can't in good conscience deny this guy's mentality and fighting spirit..

I'm sure his ability to put the p4p best fighter on the planet on his back for six 5 min. rounds feeding him knuckle sandwiches has nothing to do with it. Nore his ability to submit the former WEC MW Champion.

Yes' date=' isnt it interesting how a two losses vs Anderson makes him climb the ladder. Or are you saying his win over Brian Stann who is if we are pushing it top 10 in the MW division who warants the title shot?[/b']

No these things don't matter. Neither does the fact he was ready to take on the most dominant LHW champ in the history of the UFC on 8 days notice.

Hmmm...please tell me why he would not take the fight? It was like winning the lottery for Sonnen, coming of a loss, directly into a title shot in a division where he has never beaten a credible opponent in his career....I do wonder why he accepted, must have more to do with his balls than the fact that he would have never seen a title shot again otherwise

And for the record, he may have done it for the titleshot but that doesn't make it any less gutsy. It's not like he's taking on Jones in game of chess. He was an out of shape MW at the time he was willing to fight what is essentially a large HW that had just finished a full camp in a 25 min. FIGHT, not a sparring session, but a full on physical confrontation.

So you do understand it was for the free title shot? He is a fighter, much like everyone else in the UFC, do you seriously think any of them are scarred of a fight?

As a fan after over 150 events you can easily mistake the octagon for an entertainment stage. But to the guys inside it's still a combat ground in a fight game with so little rules it's still illegal in NY. These guys put their health on the line everytime they step in that cage.

Taking a fight with a monster like Jones on 8 days notice ? If Dana's phone hadn't been so quiet back at 151 we would have had an event.

Chael has a big mouth an it's everyone's right to dislike that, but you can't in good conscience deny this guy's mentality and fighting spirit..

Finally, I agree with you :) This has nothing to do with Sonnens fighting spirit, I admire him for it...but that is a different matter, this fight is makin the UFC look like the WWE, its sad.

i agree with you to only a small extent. Gustafson and Texeira were never asked...There's a lot of credibly LHW contenders...even Phil Davis. I see why he would jump Shogun and Machida' date=' but it was not fair to let him jump everyone else

anyways, i'm over it now. i think it will backfire on chael too because this will be such a high-profile match and this will hurt his image for a while[/quote']

Well said, there are plenty of fighters that didn't turn it down that have more of a claim to number one contender status than Chael. Machida and Shogun don't deserve it for turning it down and both just having one fight win streaks but Gustaffson and Hendo both deserve it. Even Forrest has more of a claim to this fight than Sonnen.

I do think it is a mistake for Chael though. Once he loses to Jones, where does he go then? If he had fought his way up at 205 he could have gotten a lot more fights before he is shown to be incapable of capturing the title at another weight class.

That argument is also a valid one. Chael has done nothing to earn a spot opposite a champion on TUF, and has done nothing to earn a title shot at 205.

The other point is why Jones, a young fighter who is still growing in the sport, has been given the opportunity to coach on a season of TUF. Surely there are wiser, more experienced fighters who will be able to pass on a wealth of knowledge themselves, without having to rely solely on their own coaches to do their job for them.

This whole affair just goes to show what a joke TUF has become, as well as the UFC in general.

If you have to be asked before you step up' date=' you are a bit of a primadonna tbh.[/quote']

This...What happend to seeing something you want and go get it. I haven't heard of any fighter that said they asked for the fight and Dana turned them down. Did Hendo assume he was the number 1# contender? We all know what happens when you assume, especially in the business of MMA. If Hendo wanted the fight he should have talked to Dana and locked it in. Same with every other fighter. On my job if there is a promotion or an opportunity arises, I don't wait to be asked or assume I'll get picked. I go to my boss, tell her I'm interested and lock it in.

Archived