Common Weight Lifting Mistakes Made By Beginners

DL4TRU_STRENGTH

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/common-weight-lifting-mistakes-made-by-beginners.html

1. Overtraining

A common mistake is that having sessions lasting hours long or performing tons of the same exercises several days a week will get you better gains. "Less is more" when it comes to weight training. Remember that your central nervous system and joints come into the picture, and suffer a lot more from the abuse of weight training then your muscles.

2. Cheating

Cheating occurs when you are using a weight that is too heavy for you to lift, but you continue to lift the weight and sacrifice form to do it. You will see it all the time in gyms, people who lean back and throw their elbows foreword when doing bicep curls, people that bounce the bar off their chest when benching etc. This not only limits the gains you can make, but it also can lead to injury.

3. Lifting Heavy Early

If you are under the age of 18, stick to the 8-12 rep range. Lifting weights higher then this can cause damage to growth. This is because as a teenager the growth plates on the end of the bones haven't yet closed, and performing heavy maximum lifts can cause closure prematurely of these growth plates (epiphysis), and can also cause injuries to the bones themselves.

4. Using the low rep ranges to get big, training high reps to burn fat

This couldn't be further from the truth. First off, diet plays the most important role in determining how shredded or how big you are. You can pound all the weight you want, if you eat crap you will look like crap. Second, to train for size, the 6-12 rep range is optimal. The low rep ranges train muscular strength, which helps little in increasing muscular size. Remember that fat burn is achieved mostly by cardio and high intensity weight training. This can mean low rest times, supersets etc.

5. Using a professional bodybuilder or power lifters routine

You might think that because a bodybuilder is huge and used a certain routine means that you will get huge using that same workout. This is not true. Bodybuilders have been training for years and their routines will most likely be far more advanced for you to attempt. You should also consider the fact that not everything will work for everybody. Just because a guy is big and got good results from doing something doesn't mean that you will too.

6. Starving yourself in order to lose weight

Yes it sounds silly, but you would be surprised at the number of people that think this way. Dieting doesn't mean that you can't enjoy food ever again, or that you will always be hungry. Split your meals up into 5-7 a day of smaller portions. This keeps your metabolism working and will help you be less hungry through the day.

Remember that when you starve yourself, your body holds onto any fat it has and you will lose muscle instead. This is very unhealthy.

7. Relying too much on supplements to grow

Without proper diet and training supplements will get you nowhere. Remember they are called SUPPLEMENTS because they SUPPLEMENT your diet. If your diet is in check and you have done everything you can to ensure that real foods play the dominant role, only then should supplements be considered.

8. Neglecting Carbohydrates and Fats in your diet

Carbs and fat are an essential part in any diet, even weight loss diets. This is because carbohydrates are our main source of fuel. Without carbohydrates, particularly complex carbohydrates, the body would begin to use other sources and this could cause problems, such as becoming easily fatigued due to lack of glycogen.

Fats are needed as well. Fat is essential to maintain good health. That being said, you should get your fat from healthy sources, such as olive oil and nuts. Remember that trans-fats are bad for you no matter what, and should be avoided at all costs.

Its almost inevitable that someone tries to refute that :)

The only scientifically proven way to lose weight this way is if you are undernourished for a period of at least 3 days or more' date=' and continue for several days after.[/quote']

lol and it works very effectively. Ever see a fat anorexic (not talkin about the ones who just started becoming anorexic..)?

It only works if your not lifting or exercise' date=' and if you have a very sedentary lifestyle.

The real reason most people have a problem with dieting is because they really dont understand how to eat on a proper diet.[/quote']

actually no it will work if your exercising or sitting on your couch. If you don't eat you don't gain weight. This method is 100% effective.

Thats patently false' date=' if your depriving yourself of more than 1/2 the calories you need, you wont have the energy to train and as such youll end up doing #1 - over training, and your body will begin to breakdown. There is a reason EVERY trainer & dietician knows this and strongly opposes it.[/quote']

What is false? Not eating is 100% effective for losing weight. That is what I'm discussing. Regardless of what you are doing if you are not consuming anything your body will deteriorate, thus resulting in weight loss. What you said is true in that you need to consume calories to keep your metabolism up and that the healthy lifestyle is watching what you eat not just not eating.

You & me both brotha....that and back.

For the longest time I had no idea I should be doing rows' date=' squats, deadlifts & pull ups.[/quote']

Oh same, when I first got into weight lifting when I was like 14 I literally just did dumbell curls and push ups lol.

Today I do pretty much entirely compound exercises with very little isolation.

Oh same' date=' when I first got into weight lifting when I was like 14 I literally just did dumbell curls and push ups lol.

Today I do pretty much entirely compound exercises with very little isolation.[/quote']

when I lifted and I did back and legs it seemed like I just could not progress. it drove me insane. like I'd be able to lift more say in the bench press after a month or so but my legs would be sittin there all skinny looking at me in the mirror like 'wtf you want me to do'

when I lifted and I did back and legs it seemed like I just could not progress. it drove me insane. like I'd be able to lift more say in the bench press after a month or so but my legs would be sittin there all skinny looking at me in the mirror like 'wtf you want me to do'

Really? That's too bad, maybe it's genetics. I have relatively short legs and they seem to acquire muscle mass very easily. Maybe because I'm Italian, all of my uncles have calves the size of my thighs...

What is false? Not eating is 100% effective for losing weight. That is what I'm discussing. Regardless of what you are doing if you are not consuming anything your body will deteriorate' date=' thus resulting in weight loss. What you said is true in that you need to consume calories to keep your metabolism up and that the healthy lifestyle is watching what you eat not just not eating.[/quote']

There is a huge difference between creating a calorie deficit vs starving yourself. The latter means you have insufficient calories for basic daily needs, and as such your body begins breaking down muscle and fat as a result. When you create a deficit, you are simply requiring your body to compensate by using fat stores and minimally affects muscle. A person who is truly starving wont have the energy to train effectively, and will likely become sick or injured.

Oh same' date=' when I first got into weight lifting when I was like 14 I literally just did dumbell curls and push ups lol.

Today I do pretty much entirely compound exercises with very little isolation.[/quote']

I think the internet is doing alot to help beginners avoid common mistakes of the past. However, "gym science" - or "bro science", will always linger.

I dont avoid ISOs, I just keep them to a minimum, I just do what I find works best for me and gives me results. However, regardless of bulking or cutting, diet makes all the difference in the world - and this includes water intake and sleep.

While I agree with chris (harbinger) that genetics play a role, I am wondering, when you say "progress" - what do you mean? Weight, or size?

Some people have areas where growth comes much more quickly than others for sure, but, progress can usually be measured in either weight or size. If neither one is moving along I'd suggest your routine is flawed.

diet makes all the difference in the world - and this includes water intake and sleep.

Yes it does, I have a fantastic diet and my body reflects it. I have a buddy that likes to workout but eats like **** and drinks multiple energy drinks a day and is always giving me **** about how I look so much better.

To which I just laugh and say "Because you're not willing to put in the effort in your diet."

There is a huge difference between creating a calorie deficit vs starving yourself. The latter means you have insufficient calories for basic daily needs' date=' and as such your body begins breaking down muscle and fat as a result. When you create a deficit, you are simply requiring your body to compensate by using fat stores and minimally affects muscle. A person who is truly starving wont have the energy to train effectively, and will likely become sick or injured.

[/b']

I think the internet is doing alot to help beginners avoid common mistakes of the past. However, "gym science" - or "bro science", will always linger.

I dont avoid ISOs, I just keep them to a minimum, I just do what I find works best for me and gives me results. However, regardless of bulking or cutting, diet makes all the difference in the world - and this includes water intake and sleep.

oh no doubt man. I'm just saying it's effective in losing weight ha ha. It's not effective in being healthy in the least bit ha ha and there are better ways to lose weight.

While I agree with chris (harbinger) that genetics play a role' date=' I am wondering, when you say "progress" - what do you mean? Weight, or size?

Some people have areas where growth comes much more quickly than others for sure, but, progress can usually be measured in either weight or size. If neither one is moving along I'd suggest your routine is flawed.[/quote']

what i meant by progress was being able to lift more or more effectively use those muscles. I'm sure my routine was flawed but I progressed in the upper body quickly so I don't know lol. doesn't matter anymore as I am doing things a bit differently now a days.

While I agree with chris (harbinger) that genetics play a role' date=' I am wondering, when you say "progress" - what do you mean? Weight, or size?

Some people have areas where growth comes much more quickly than others for sure, but, progress can usually be measured in either weight or size. If neither one is moving along I'd suggest your routine is flawed.[/quote']

I've tried everything from heavy reps/light weight to light reps/heavy weight, supersets, giant sets etc and my biceps refuse to gain mass. Sucks ***. Back, chest shoulders etc have all added strength and mass.:(

what i meant by progress was being able to lift more or more effectively use those muscles. I'm sure my routine was flawed but I progressed in the upper body quickly so I don't know lol. doesn't matter anymore as I am doing things a bit differently now a days.

Yeah, weak areas are common, but you should still have some progress. I know my lower body & back have quickly outpaced my chest progression. However, because I have only trained them within the last few years, they are still lagging behind how quickly my chest goes. about a year ago I could barely lift a 100lb DB off the rack & get into the press position without considerable difficulty. Now, I grab & do sets of 90's without strain.

I've tried everything from heavy reps/light weight to light reps/heavy weight' date=' supersets, giant sets etc and my biceps refuse to gain mass. Sucks ***. Back, chest shoulders etc have all added strength and mass.:([/quote']

try doing nothing. same results less work ;)

I've tried everything from heavy reps/light weight to light reps/heavy weight' date=' supersets, giant sets etc and my biceps refuse to gain mass. Sucks ***. Back, chest shoulders etc have all added strength and mass.:([/quote']

Again, we all have areas that are slower than others. My biceps are like that as well.

Whats your routine look like?

try doing nothing. same results less work ;)

Again' date=' we all have areas that are slower than others. My biceps are like that as well.

Hmmmmmm....you may be on to something there...

Whats your routine look like?[/quote']

Last routine I had was

Bar bell curls X 4, 1 light, 3 heavy

Incline alternating curls same

One arm preacher same

either concentration or 21's to finish up

Would also replace the preacher with seated alternating curls sometimes.

Last routine I had was

Bar bell curls X 4' date=' 1 light, 3 heavy

One arm preacher same

Would also replace the preacher with seated alternating curls sometimes.[/quote']

thats a lot of volume, possibly too much.

Last routine I had was

Bar bell curls X 4' date=' 1 light, 3 heavy

One arm preacher same

Would also replace the preacher with seated alternating curls sometimes.[/quote']

thats a lot of volume' date=' possibly too much.[/quote']

jduk is right - too many ISO's.

Whats your entire routine look like? how mmany days, what are you doing each day?

Take mine for example (though I am more intermediate/advanced)

Day 1 DL, OHP, PU - all done 8x4, then lat raises & shrugs 12x3

Day 2 Squat, DBP, BBR 8x4 then tricep ext's & curls 12x3

Possibly, but need to get the arms up to par with everything else....

overcompensating is never a good idea - just be patient and do it the right way

jduk is right - too many ISO's.

Whats your entire routine look like? how mmany days' date=' what are you doing each day?

Take mine for example (though I am more intermediate/advanced)

Day 1 DL, OHP, PU - all done 8x4, then lat raises & shrugs 12x3

Day 2 Squat, DBP, BBR 8x4 then tricep ext's & curls 12x3

overcompensating is never a good idea - just be patient and do it the right way[/quote']

6 days a week; Mon, Wed, Fri

Weights Tue, Thr, Sat

The split I do is Legs on Tuesday, Shoulders and back Thursday, chest and arms saturday. Kinda congested but gots to make the most of the time I have.

6 days a week; Mon' date=' Wed, Fri

Weights Tue, Thr, Sat

The split I do is Legs on Tuesday, Shoulders and back Thursday, chest and arms saturday. Kinda congested but gots to make the most of the time I have.[/quote']

Ditch that, your doing WAY too much... do a 3 day split, or a 3 day full body

Also, are you thin, athletic or overweight? As such, what are your goals?

Ditch that' date=' your doing WAY too much... do a 3 day split, or a 3 day full body

Also, are you thin, athletic or overweight? As such, what are your goals?[/quote']

5'10, 192lb not sure bout the body fat percentage. I'm bulking basically. Just came off a heavy weight routine so slowed down a bit.

5'10' date=' 192lb not sure bout the body fat percentage. I'm bulking basically. Just came off a heavy weight routine so slowed down a bit.[/quote']

You the same as me. Whats your age and how many years have you been lifting?

Would you even be interested in trying a new routine, or would I be wasting my time in typing it out for you?

You the same as me. Whats your age and how many years have you been lifting?

Would you even be interested in trying a new routine' date=' or would I be wasting my time in typing it out for you?[/quote']

Suggestions are always welcomed, can't promise i'll use the routine right now, but maybe after this cycle i'll give it a shot. I may be working with a trainer from next week. I've been lifting on and off a few years now. Add in couple injuries etc and it hasn't been that consistent. Probably only been seriously about 2 years now.

I followed a workout schedule strictly when i started working out that included 3 bicep exercises. I believe the first one is the best and most effective. Try doing wide grip barbell curls, 4 sets of 12 10 8 and 6. Offer as much resistance as you can when returning the barbell to your hips. Squeeze and contract your biceps. After 2 months my arms blew up, the negative part in this is i have pretty severe stretch marks on my biceps lol. The other 2 workout s were seated curls with sets of 10 8 6 6 and barbell preacher curls of 12 10 8 6.

Archived