Anyone notice Dana's 'slip up' on the media call yesterday?

JonesyUK

So your basically saying that you know that Sonnen doesnt stand a chance and you have made this fight purely for TUF ratings and PPV sales?

:rolleyes:

come on Jonsey... everyone turned down Jones, and he Is injured until April. This way the real top contenders get to fight, and not have Jones hold up the division.

Dana knows Jones will tear through Sonnen, and the show will be real good. I've come around to the idea, it truly does make sense. this isn't even really a title fight, it's more just a fun fight for the fans.

come on Jonsey... everyone turned down Jones' date=' and he Is injured until April. This way the real top contenders get to fight, and not have Jones hold up the division.

Dana knows Jones will tear through Sonnen, and the show will be real good. I've come around to the idea, it truly does make sense. this isn't even really a title fight, it's more just a fun fight for the fans.[/quote']

Agreed.

Let Hendo, Machida, Gus, Shogun and Glover fight for this title shot til then.

We (fans) are not losing anything really.

Im not interested in my boys Shogun, Glover and Machida facing Jones atm anyways. I rather them getting ready for it in a proper way.

come on Jonsey... everyone turned down Jones' date=' and he Is injured until April. This way the real top contenders get to fight, and not have Jones hold up the division.

Dana knows Jones will tear through Sonnen, and the show will be real good. I've come around to the idea, it truly does make sense. this isn't even really a title fight, it's more just a fun fight for the fans.[/quote']

:confused:

Come on man, dont buy into the Dana BS lines.

He claims Shogun and Machida turned down the opportunity to fight Jones, but they were SHORT-NOTICE opportunities for two guys who had already lost once to Jones. As everyone knows, you lose to the champ twice, your finished in the division!

Dana is using Machida and Shogun as his scape-goats for the whole BS situation of how Sonnen gets the Jones fight, much like he made Jones his scapegoat for the cancelling of UFC 151

Come on man' date=' dont buy into the Dana BS lines.

He claims Shogun and Machida turned down the opportunity to fight Jones, but they were SHORT-NOTICE opportunities for two guys who had already lost once to Jones. As everyone knows, you lose to the champ twice, your finished in the division!

Dana is using Machida and Shogun as his scape-goats for the whole BS situation of how Sonnen gets the Jones fight, much like he made Jones his scapegoat for the cancelling of UFC 151[/quote']

agreed, even though I dont agree with your nationality and personality.

Agreed.

Let Hendo' date=' Machida, Gus, Shogun and Glover fight for this title shot til then.

We (fans) are not losing anything really.

Im not interested in my boys Shogun, Glover and Machida facing Jones atm anyways. I rather them getting ready for it in a proper way.[/quote']

Agreed.

agreed' date=' even though I dont agree with your nationality and personality.[/quote']

Racist..

Maybe they will use Sonnen for the TUF show' date=' and then he will get "injured" and pull out of the fight, and they will give the fight to someone more deserving of a title fight. Hendo is too boring for TUF.[/quote']

I was seriously just thinking about this scenario today and it makes a whole lot of sense out of something that makes no sense at all. As much as a bunghole Dana can be some times you have to believe after all the hard work of putting the sport on the map and breathing life back into it again that they wouldn't risk the reputation of the organization by allowing the Sonnen/Jones fight to happen...but instead use it as a ploy to boost ratings for TUF. Dana can deny all he wants that TUF doesn't need the ratings, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have a personality like Chael starring on the show. It will be interesting to see if that's what indeed happens.

Dana is using Machida and Shogun as his scape-goats for the whole BS situation of how Sonnen gets the Jones fight, much like he made Jones his scapegoat for the cancelling of UFC 151[/quote']

Since when is 1 month actually short notice? Vitor was the only one (aside from chael and I bet Glover) who stepped up to fight Jones. Lets look back at the old adage, "if ya move ur feet, ya lose ur seat."

Hendo is still hurt (he hasnt said otherwise, has he?), and he is boring as sin, TUF coach wise. Machida (one of my fav fighters) said No Thank You to fighting Jones, as well as Shogon. Is Dana supposed to reward that kind of behaviour?

It works out PERFECT this way. Hendo fights Machida, and Shogun fights Gus (who said he didn't think he was rdy for Jones neways). Glover fights Page. This all happens around December/January. Then the winners/most impressive fight each other on the same card as the Jones vs. Sonnen card. And poof, u have your true number 1 contender at the same time Jones annihilates Sonnen.

Aside from all that, we, as the fans, are treated to a great TUF (finally......), while getting to see all the prospects/contenders duke it out.

Whats wrong with that?

Honestly, Jones just fought Machida. Shogun has no chance. Beating Thiago Silva doesn't give Gus a shot. Dan is injured and Dana is probably still pissed at him.

This makes sense. It will help revive TUF, make Jon a bigger star, and don't underestimate Chael. The thing about Chael is that he's not afraid. That will play a huge difference.

Honestly' date=' Jones just fought Machida. Shogun has no chance. Beating Thiago Silva doesn't give Gus a shot. Dan is injured and Dana is probably still pissed at him.

This makes sense. It will help revive TUF, make Jon a bigger star, and don't underestimate Chael. [b']The thing about Chael is that he's not afraid[/b]. That will play a huge difference.

He seemed pretty scared right before Anderson kneed him in the solar plex, and he also didnt do anything when Anderson shoulder punched him.

He seemed pretty scared right before Anderson kneed him in the solar plex' date=' and he also didnt do anything when Anderson shoulder punched him.[/quote']

Both were from pure shock. The knee he was like of **** i dun goofed and the shoulder butt just surprized him Andy would sink to that.

He's not afraid to fight and give it everything he's got.

Too bad many fans don't see it as a fun fight. If anything this has made plenty of people say "Well I'm gonna stop watching UFC, it is a joke now." Thats really what its turning into. Nobody wants to see Jones VS Sonnen and if you do you want to watch for pure entertainment and don't give a damn about the sport itself.

Honestly' date=' Jones just fought Machida. Shogun has no chance. Beating Thiago Silva doesn't give Gus a shot. Dan is injured and Dana is probably still pissed at him.

This makes sense. It will help revive TUF, make Jon a bigger star, and don't underestimate Chael. The thing about Chael is that he's not afraid. That will play a huge difference.[/quote']

Okay your point is stupid. The only thing Chael showed is that when he isn't scared, he throws failure moves like his backfist.

I didn't hear of any reports that said Shogun, Machida, Hendo, or whomever else, was knocking down Dana's door wanting to fight jones in April. April is far enough away to be in shape for the fight. I didn't hear of any fighter getting turned down by Dana.

I didn't hear of any reports that said Shogun' date=' Machida, Hendo, or whomever else, was knocking down Dana's door wanting to fight jones in April. April is far enough away to be in shape for the fight. I didn't hear of any fighter getting turned down by Dana.[/quote']

LOOL!

Yeah, I believe you, since Dana actually said (and I'm quoting here)...

"We didn't even ask Dan Henderson"...:D

The filming will start in January, why couldn't they scrap the Machida/Hendo fight (that isn't even official yet) and put Hendo in there with JBJ?

Machida could fight Sonnen...

Two great fights and no BS involved.

They're turning this into a joke org, where every clown gets his chance and doesn't have to work for it.

LOOL!

Yeah' date=' I believe you, since Dana actually said (and I'm quoting here)...

"We didn't even ask Dan Henderson"...:D

The filming will start in January, why couldn't they scrap the Machida/Hendo fight (that isn't even official yet) and put Hendo in there with JBJ?

Machida could fight Sonnen...

Two great fights and no BS involved.

They're turning this into a joke org, where every clown gets his chance and doesn't have to work for it.[/quote']

I still blame the fighters. Maybe Dana didn't ask Dan but did Dan ask Dana? It is there resposibillity to jump on opportunities as they arise. I think Dana just made a bold business decision. Lose a little credibility with the hard core fans, to get more mainstream. If Dana gives us GSP/Silva, Silva/Jones, Jones/Cormier or JDS, we will forget all about this Jones/Sonnen thing and on top of that he will get all of the new fans that tuned in to see Jones/Sonnen.

I still blame the fighters. Maybe Dana didn't ask Dan but did Dan ask Dana? It is there resposibillity to jump on opportunities as they arise. I think Dana just made a bold business decision. Lose a little credibility with the hard core fans' date=' to get more mainstream. If Dana gives us GSP/Silva, Silva/Jones, Jones/Cormier or JDS, we will forget all about this Jones/Sonnen thing and on top of that he will get all of the new fans that tuned in to see Jones/Sonnen.[/quote']

That's what this is, a business decision nothing more nothing less...

He's just thinking about the money no matter what the consequences may be.

Why would any fighter ask to do TUF with the champ if they already have fights scheduled or being scheduled?

It's the UFC's call not the fighter's.

That's what this is' date=' a business decision nothing more nothing less...

He's just thinking about the money no matter what the consequences may be.

Why would any fighter ask to do TUF with the champ if they already have fights scheduled or being scheduled?

It's the UFC's call not the fighter's.[/quote']

Chael had a fight scheduled too. Not sure whether Chael approached Dana or vice versa, but Chael definitely trys to go get what he wants and achieve his goals. The fans kinda brought it on themselves too. You remember 151. Everyone was saying how Jones is scared, how Chael is in his head, and you still have people now saying that Chael will whoop Jones. Well now we get what we asked for. Let me ask you though. Not saying it will happen but there are rumors of Silva/GSP and Silva/Jones. If you get all of the super fights you can dream of, will you really be less of a fan just because of Jones/Sonnen? Nobody will even care about this a year after it happens. I think it was a genius business decision.

Chael had a fight scheduled too. Not sure whether Chael approached Dana or vice versa' date=' but Chael definitely trys to go get what he wants and achieve his goals. The fans kinda brought it on themselves too. You remember 151. Everyone was saying how Jones is scared, how Chael is in his head, and you still have people now saying that Chael will whoop Jones. Well now we get what we asked for. Let me ask you though. Not saying it will happen but there are rumors of Silva/GSP and Silva/Jones. [b'] If you get all of the super fights you can dream of, will you really be less of a fan just because of Jones/Sonnen? Nobody will even care about this a year after it happens. I think it was a genius business decision.[/b]

dosent make it right in many peoples eyes. just because you do something good in the future dosent negate the bad you are doing now.

just saying :)

Chael had a fight scheduled too. Not sure whether Chael approached Dana or vice versa' date=' but Chael definitely trys to go get what he wants and achieve his goals. The fans kinda brought it on themselves too. You remember 151. Everyone was saying how Jones is scared, how Chael is in his head, and you still have people now saying that Chael will whoop Jones. Well now we get what we asked for. Let me ask you though. Not saying it will happen but there are rumors of Silva/GSP and Silva/Jones. If you get all of the super fights you can dream of, will you really be less of a fan just because of Jones/Sonnen? Nobody will even care about this a year after it happens. I think it was a genius business decision.[/quote']

I personally think it sucks quite honestly...

I don't even like Sonnen's antics (I know I'm pretty much alone in this one, but besides two jokes he made I don't like his stuff at all)...

Maybe people will get fed up with him while he's doing TUF.

dosent make it right in many peoples eyes. just because you do something good in the future dosent negate the bad you are doing now.

just saying :)

I wouldn't say it's bad. The LHW division needs to get sorted out anyway. Let the top contenders fight it out in the mean time while Jones heals up and fights Sonnen. This is just a fun fight like Silva/Bonnar(was supposed to be fun). I love this sport and this TUF will push it in the right direction. I haven't watched TUF in years, but I'll watch this one. After they get TUF back on track, I hope Dana will make the enteraining fighters(I'm talking about personality) the tough coaches. Belts and Championships don't have to be on the line, but if you're doing reality TV then you need a personality. I'm talking about good fighters with entertaining personalities like a Koscheck.

I don't even like Sonnen's antics (I know I'm pretty much alone in this one' date=' but besides two jokes he made I don't like his stuff at all)...

[/b']

Maybe people will get fed up with him while he's doing TUF.

no, you are not alone on that

I don't even like Sonnen's antics (I know I'm pretty much alone in this one' date=' but besides two jokes he made I don't like his stuff at all)...

Maybe people will get fed up with him while he's doing TUF.[/quote']

Who knows? I'm a huge fan of his antics. Maybe I'll get fed up towards the end too. I think you just need to see it for what it is. He's pretty much a comedian who can fight. I think a lot of people take him too seriously.

I wouldn't say it's bad. The LHW division needs to get sorted out anyway. Let the top contenders fight it out in the mean time while Jones heals up and fights Sonnen. This is just a fun fight like Silva/Bonnar(was supposed to be fun). I love this sport and this TUF will push it in the right direction. I haven't watched TUF in years' date=' but I'll watch this one. After they get TUF back on track, I hope Dana will make the enteraining fighters(I'm talking about personality) the tough coaches. Belts and Championships don't have to be on the line, but if you're doing reality TV then you need a personality. I'm talking about good fighters with entertaining personalities like a Koscheck.[/quote']

this is not fun and IMO is bad

This is has the potential to detract from the actual fighters on the show and make the UFC look terrible.

and Sonnen isnt a good fighter and dosent deserve a title shot at all. and if anybody really believes that Dana asked everyone and only Chael agreed, than those people need their heads examined

this is not fun and IMO is bad

This is has the potential to detract from the actual fighters on the show and make the UFC look terrible.

and Sonnen isnt a good fighter and dosent deserve a title shot at all. and if anybody really believes that Dana asked everyone and only Chael agreed' date=' than those people need their heads examined[/quote']

I don't believe Dana asked anyone, and I don't believe anyone outside of Chael asked him either. I don't think you can say he's isn't a good fighter. If Anderson wasn't around, Chael could very well be the champ in the MW division. Even if he wasn't, I think you would agree he's in the top 5 at MW. You can't be a "not good" fighter to be there.

I don't believe Dana asked anyone' date=' and I don't believe anyone outside of Chael asked him either. I don't think you can say he's isn't a good fighter. If Anderson wasn't around, Chael could very well be the champ in the MW division. Even if he wasn't, I think you would agree he's in the top 5 at MW. You can't be a "not good" fighter to be there.[/quote']

I disagree, he is a half decent fighter at best. Over rated by a mile by many people. And his mouth is the only weapon he has against a Jon Jones

I disagree' date=' he is a half decent fighter at best. Over rated by a mile by many people. And his mouth is the only weapon he has against a Jon Jones[/quote']

Since he came to the UFC, I think he had some good wins. He only lost to Maia and Silva. Losing to Silva seems pretty common in the UFC :)....I kinda throw out the TRT fight, but the second fight was going his way until he went for his back fist.

I actually don't think Sonnen will be in character as much as people assume. I'm sure he'll turn it up at points when he's one on one with Jones but for the most part I think he's going to take the coaching part very seriously. He coaches kid's wrestling and is known to never miss practice even the day after one of his fights. I think people are going to see his real personality more during TUF than ever before.

Since he came to the UFC' date=' I think he had some good wins. He only lost to Maia and Silva. Losing to Silva seems pretty common in the UFC :)....I kinda throw out the TRT fight, but the second fight was going his way until he went for his back fist.[/quote']

He also lost to Jeremy Horn, Babalu... and realistically lost to Bisping as well ( IMO )

Chael is a excellent wrestler... but a mediocre fighter.. and this will be shown in full when he fights Jones.

I would like to say that this fight is stupid and blah blah blah... but the reality is that so many people asked for this fight after Jones turned him down... and now that it's here... wanna complain about how Chael doesn't deserve it... What has changed that he deserved it at 151?? The UFC whether some want to admit it or not.. is first and foremost a business, not a sport. So the decisions made are always going to be business oriented, and this fight makes sense on a business level.

I do agree with allowing the top guys to actually fight among eachother to see who really is the number 1 contender. I would've had no interest in watching a fight between Jones/Machida or Jones/ Shogun anyways... There needs to be a build up process, stop just feeding the same guys title shots, without having them fight a couple of times to earn it.... That's what was making the HW division so stall when they had the same 3 or 4 guys fighting eachother or for the title every couple of months.

I don't believe Dana asked anyone' date=' and I don't believe anyone outside of Chael asked him either. I don't think you can say he's isn't a good fighter. [b']If Anderson wasn't around, Chael could very well be the champ in the MW division. Even if he wasn't, I think you would agree he's in the top 5 at MW. [/b] You can't be a "not good" fighter to be there.

The FACT is he isn't champion and being top 5 MW doesn't make you all of a sudden top contender at LHW where previouly you were a career can. If anyone continues to think Machida, Shogun and any other top contender is dumb enough to take a title fight w/o adequate notice knowing they're down one opportunity already to the man who currently holds the belt (with neither of them making it past the 3rd rd if I'm mistaken)...then you truly need your head examined. Even the contenders who haven't had an opportunity were wise to be cautious seeing as it may have been there one and only chance to get it done. As dangerous as Jones is do you really want to get into the Octagon with a man of his talent with no confidence???

The top contenders knew they wouldn't be doing themselves any favors taking a fight like that on short notice, they would only be doing UFC management and Zuffa a favor. If you've been around this sport any amount of time at all you should know Dana White is as cutthroat as they come. The fighters know this as much as anyone of us could ever know. Just because you take a a fight on short notice doesn't mean the UFC does you any favors down the road just ask fighters like Charlie B, DaMarques Johnson, and Ben Saunders who were out of the organization within two fights of taking fights on short notice. Dana has always had this "what have you done for me lately attitude???". He doesn't reward or do favors for anyone unless he feels it inherently benefits him first and foremost.

Look at all the things he said about Kimbo Slice prior to him being in the organization, but when he realized all the benefits of taking advantage of the following he had all of a sudden it became acceptable to allow him in the UFC even though his past experience in no way shape or form indicated that he should be.

It's easy for Chael to risk a chance at something he stands to lose a lot less at as opposed to all the top LHW contenders who have had a chance already or those who have just about arrived at top contender status. It's ALSO a lot easier for the casual fan and someone who hasn't been to the top to criticize those who are already there who don't want to risk everything they've done and the wars they fought to get there based upon pressure from higher ups when they know the higher ups could really care less about there well being.

The FACT is he isn't champion and being top 5 MW doesn't make you all of a sudden top contender at LHW where previouly you were a career can. If anyone continues to think Machida' date=' Shogun and any other top contender is dumb enough to take a title fight w/o adequate notice knowing already they're down one opportunity already to the man who currently holds the belt (with neither of them making it past the 3rd rd if I'm mistaken)...then you truly need your head examined.

They're not doing themselves a favor taking the fight like that on short notice, their only doing UFC management and Zuffa a favor. If you've been around this sport any amount of time at all you should know Dana White is as cutthroat as they come. Just because you take a a fight on short notice doesn't mean the UFC does you any favors down the road just ask fighters like Charlie B, and Ben Saunders who were out of the organization within two fights of taking fights on short notice. Dana has always had this "what have you done for me attitude". He doesn't reward or do favors for anyone unless he feels it inherently benefits him first and foremost.

It's easy for Chael to ask for a chance at something he stands to lose a lot less at as opposed to all the top LHW contenders who have had a chance already....and it's a lot easier for the casual fan and someone who hasn't been to the top to criticize those who are already there who don't want to risk everything based upon pressure from higher ups who they know could really care less about there well being.[/quote']

I think this is one of those fun fights where people can hear Chael talk **** back and forth and it gives the rest of the LHW division time to sort it's self out. There are so many fights at LHW that don't involve Jon Jones that need to happen. And I agree about Dana not always rewarding people who do favors for him. He is the main reason fighters duck each other and fight safe. I've been saying that for awhile. You can get cut with 2 consecutive losses if Dana isn't in to you. Of course fighters will fight safe and duck. If not, you could find yourself at a rinky dink venue somewhere getting knocked out by a washed up boxer.

I think this is one of those fun fights where people can hear Chael talk **** back and forth and it gives the rest of the LHW division time to sort it's self out. There are so many fights at LHW that don't involve Jon Jones that need to happen. And I agree about Dana not always rewarding people who do favors for him. He is the main reason fighters duck each other and fight safe. I've been saying that for awhile. You can get cut with 2 consecutive losses if Dana isn't in to you. Of course fighters will fight safe and duck. If not' date=' you could find yourself at a rinky dink venue somewhere getting knocked out by a washed up boxer.[/quote']

It can't be about fun in this instance where a title belt is involved. Real legitimate organizations don't work that way. Majority of fans might want to see the Heat and Lakers in every NBA final, but it doesn't make it alright for the NBA to make it happen just because it wants to get high ratings or line it's pockets or punish a team that's not "playing the game" if neither deserve to be in the Finals. What about the hard work the other 28 or so teams are putting in to get their names printed on a championship banner? You can't overstate the obvious enough on how bad this looks no matter how "fun" it looks to the casual fan. I have no problem with Chael being giving an opportunity to fight Jones if he truly deserved it (and I could care less how competitive it would be, it's truly irrelevant), but not even the fighter many would consider the greatest of all time was given this fast a track and he's beaten Chael twice!! The fact is Chael hasn't done even 1% of what the other fighters in the division have done to get the opportunity he has been given. Fun, ratings, and money should never be options over legitimacy and integrity when it comes to title contention pointblank period.

It can't be about fun in this instance where a title belt is involved. Real legitimate organizations don't work that way. Majority of fans might want to see the Heat and Lakers in every NBA final' date=' but it doesn't make it alright for the NBA to make it happen just because it wnats to get high ratings or line it's pockets. What about the hard work the other 28 or so teams are putting in to get their names printed on a championship banner? You can't overstate the obvious enough on how bad this looks no matter how "fun" it looks to the casual fan. I have no problem with Chael being giving an opportunity to fight Jones if he truly deserved it, but not even the fighter many would consider the greatest of all time was given this fast a track and he's beaten Chael twice!! Fun, ratings, and money should never be an option when it comes to title contention pointblank period.[/quote']

I definitely see your point and even agree with it. I'm kinda playing devils advocate though. Dana has just seen a huge opportunity to make money and grow MMA. He is hopping all over it. When you have a group of 3 people that are on their way to monopolizing the sport, you will have this. I think that is a big reason they bought strikeforce. You can technically say that it's a UFC competitor but it's really not. It sucks that Dana sold out, but I don't think you can argue that it was a business savy decision and in the long run will grow MMA.

I definitely see your point and even agree with it. I'm kinda playing devils advocate though. Dana has just seen a huge opportunity to make money and grow MMA. He is hopping all over it. When you have a group of 3 people that are on their way to monopolizing the sport' date=' you will have this. I think that is a big reason they bought strikeforce. You can technically say that it's a UFC competitor but it's really not. It sucks that Dana sold out, but I don't think you can argue that it was a business savy decision and in the long run will grow MMA.[/quote']

It will grow MMA about as much as fake wrestling has grown (it will die out among most people once they hit puberty), but if that's the type of fanbase you want following you then it's not saying much about the type product you're putting out there. Not to be judgmental of people who follow wrestling, but c'mon really???

But it is a title fight, and a disgrace to the sport of mma. By the way you justify it it sounds like you enjoy the wwe as well.

Archived