Is Anderson Silva good for the same reason Floyd Mayweather is good?

RogerJones620

I recently watched the "Like Water" documentary about Anderson Silva, and his friends said that he has been training in MMA-style fighting for nearly 20 years. This means by the time that he made his pro-debut he had over 10 years of fighting experience. Floyd Mayweather is similar in this regard, as he had over 100 Amateur fights before his pro debut (compared to Pacquio who made his pro-debut with less than 3 fights).

With this taken into account, Anderson Silva and Floyd Mayweather's pro-debuts, and flawless records aren't entirely accurate. Silva got knocked out by an amateur boxer, and despite what Mayweather claims, he has lost many fights (they just weren't pro).

When you consider the fact that most up and coming fighters have less than 3 years of experience (Chris Weidman would be a perfect example given the current subject), it is not surprising that someone with 20 years of experience looks God-like compared to them.

I still think that Anderson Silva is the GOAT, and it's unlikely we will ever see anyone with over 10 years of MMA experience make a pro-debut due to how mainstream MMA is now. But when you stop and think about it, calling Anderson Silva's talent "unnatural" isn't realistic. He just happened to have existed "off the grid" and training in modern MMA duing a time period where almost no one else was.

Wasn't Anderson knocked out in the 90s? He has clearly improved since than.

Most up and comers do seem to have experience in things though. Like Weidman has been in MMA for a few years but he wrestled for a long *** time and wrestling is his main game in MMA. I doubt Anderson has been training MMA for 20 years, the training must have been horrendous 20 years ago.

I recently watched the "Like Water" documentary about Anderson Silva' date=' and his friends said that he has been training in MMA-style fighting for nearly 20 years. This means by the time that he made his pro-debut he had over 10 years of fighting experience. Floyd Mayweather is similar in this regard, as he had over 100 Amateur fights before his pro debut (compared to Pacquio who made his pro-debut with less than 3 fights).

With this taken into account, Anderson Silva and Floyd Mayweather's pro-debuts, and flawless records aren't entirely accurate. Silva got knocked out by an amateur boxer, and despite what Mayweather claims, he has lost many fights (they just weren't pro).

When you consider the fact that most up and coming fighters have less than 3 years of experience (Chris Weidman would be a perfect example given the current subject), it is not surprising that someone with 20 years of experience looks God-like compared to them.

I still think that Anderson Silva is the GOAT, and it's unlikely we will ever see anyone with over 10 years of MMA experience make a pro-debut due to how mainstream MMA is now. But when you stop and think about it, calling Anderson Silva's talent "unnatural" isn't realistic. He just happened to have existed "off the grid" and training in modern MMA duing a time period where almost no one else was.[/quote']

wtf did I just read....

r u one of Jones brothers ? u seem to lick his butthole alot.

well I think it's not just that.. I think there are many elements that add up in Silva's skills that truely are exceptional in a sense that you most likely wont be seeing anything like this coming by again in your lifetime.

First of all, yeah, he does have alot more experience than most of his opponents.. And he's well preserved.. that means he's capable of combining good athleticism with years of training. Usually as guys get experienced they also get older and get KO'd a couple time, they lose their split second advantage.. their body can't follow their knowledge. That isn't Silva's case. Hell.. I was kinda pointing out to my friend the other day that although Silva was older than Bonnar I'm pretty sure that he's more preserved and his body is actually in better condition than Bonnar is even if he's younger..

But apart from that Silva is also an intelligent dude.. He knows how to learn.. he knows what to learn, and he knows he doesn't know everything. In modern MMA, lots of the traditionnal martial arts stuff has been thrown away and disdained. You boxing or wrestling coaches will tell you "baah that **** doesn't work". When Silva says he believes he can do things that people think are impossible i'm 100% positive that's exactly what he's talking about. I'm not talking about dumb stuff like the chi or some esoteric stuff.. just the precision of the movements and the techniques. Because he believes in traditionnal martial arts and is willing to spend time learning it, he gets to consolidate aspects of the technique that need alot of patience and practice.. stuff that, if you just try a couple times, you'll end up thinking it's some Hollywood bullcrap.. he instead keeps practicing them and with time has learned to master the details that make his technique what it is.. That's the reason why he can drop Okami with a Jab or finish Bonnar with a single knee to the body.

+.. I think people are disregarding the fact that Silva has been practicing alot of.... dancing.. and I'm not kidding.. capoeira also, and he dances alot... looking at it i'm pretty sure this has helped him in the long run. You can see him doing capoeira on youtube and some of the moves he does there were the same he did in many of his fights. I think all this dancing has helped him alot with his fluidity and to get his body working and moving smoothly the way he does..

And last but not least I think Silva loves everything that has to do with fighting.. I think he really is having alot of fun doing what he does. He practices tons of stuff. He travels the world, takes time to go basically in the jungle to grapple with indigenous people.. Plays video games, plays soccer, and I think he's involved kinda seriously in paintball competitions.. So basically.. the guy loves fighting, but he's also having alot of fun. I think he knows how to not take all this too seriously. Then he comes in to fight and he's there to have fun. He fights the jitters a bit in the first minut and then he starts having fun and does his thing..

I think his experience, his body, his intelligence, his attitude and his mental approach to fighting and to training professionnally all combined together are what make Silva, The Spider... and it's kind of a long road to get there..

well I think it's not just that.. I think there are many elements that add up in Silva's skills that truely are exceptional in a sense that you most likely wont be seeing anything like this coming by again in your lifetime.

First of all' date=' yeah, he does have alot more experience than most of his opponents.. And he's well preserved.. that means he's capable of combining good athleticism with years of training. Usually as guys get experienced they also get older and get KO'd a couple time, they lose their split second advantage.. their body can't follow their knowledge. That isn't Silva's case. Hell.. I was kinda pointing out to my friend the other day that although Silva was older than Bonnar I'm pretty sure that he's more preserved and his body is actually in better condition than Bonnar is even if he's younger..

But apart from that Silva is also an intelligent dude.. He knows how to learn.. he knows what to learn, and he knows he doesn't know everything. In modern MMA, lots of the traditionnal martial arts stuff has been thrown away and disdained. You boxing or wrestling coaches will tell you "baah that **** doesn't work". When Silva says he believes he can do things that people think are impossible i'm 100% positive that's exactly what he's talking about. I'm not talking about dumb stuff like the chi or some esoteric stuff.. just the precision of the movements and the techniques. Because he believes in traditionnal martial arts and is willing to spend time learning it, he gets to consolidate aspects of the technique that need alot of patience and practice.. stuff that, if you just try a couple times, you'll end up thinking it's some Hollywood bullcrap.. he instead keeps practicing them and with time has learned to master the details that make his technique what it is.. That's the reason why he can drop Okami with a Jab or finish Bonnar with a single knee to the body.

+.. I think people are disregarding the fact that Silva has been practicing alot of.... dancing.. and I'm not kidding.. capoeira also, and he dances alot... looking at it i'm pretty sure this has helped him in the long run. You can see him doing capoeira on youtube and some of the moves he does there were the same he did in many of his fights. I think all this dancing has helped him alot with his fluidity and to get his body working and moving smoothly the way he does..

And last but not least I think Silva loves everything that has to do with fighting.. I think he really is having alot of fun doing what he does. He practices tons of stuff. He travels the world, takes time to go basically in the jungle to grapple with indigenous people.. Plays video games, plays soccer, and I think he's involved kinda seriously in paintball competitions.. So basically.. the guy loves fighting, but he's also having alot of fun. I think he knows how to not take all this too seriously. Then he comes in to fight and he's there to have fun. He fights the jitters a bit in the first minut and then he starts having fun and does his thing..

I think his experience, his body, his intelligence, his attitude and his mental approach to fighting and to training professionnally all combined together are what make Silva, The Spider... and it's kind of a long road to get there..[/quote']

Wow. Great post!:cool:

I recently watched the "Like Water" documentary about Anderson Silva' date=' and his friends said that he has been training in MMA-style fighting for nearly 20 years. This means by the time that he made his pro-debut he had over 10 years of fighting experience. Floyd Mayweather is similar in this regard, as he had over 100 Amateur fights before his pro debut (compared to Pacquio who made his pro-debut with less than 3 fights).

I still think that Anderson Silva is the GOAT, and it's unlikely we will ever see anyone with over 10 years of MMA experience make a pro-debut due to how mainstream MMA is now. But when you stop and think about it, calling Anderson Silva's talent "unnatural" isn't realistic. He just happened to have existed "off the grid" and training in modern MMA duing a time period where almost no one else was.[/quote']

AS = Good because he destroys people and is a highly skilled mma fighter.

FM = Not worth comparing to AS. He isn't nearly that good. So to your question, no.

Practice can make you very good at what you do, but if you don't have other attributes, like skill, genetics, heart, intelligence, etc. there is only so far that you can go.

I do think that practice/training is a huge part of it. For example, if I practiced my free throw shooting in basketball for 20 years, i'm sure i'd be amazing and be around 80-90%, As a teen, I was around 75% because for years, I practiced shooting around for over an hour a day at the gym. That may not seem like a big number, but if I go around shooting now, after years of a layoff, I would probably lose 10% or more off my numbers.

You have to think about it like this...there's 7billion people in the world, and almost everyone would agree that Anderson is one of the 3 best p4p on the planet. Everyone wants to be a good fighter so there has to be a lot of reasons why one guy could get that ahead of the pack

Let's take Bonnar, for example. Part of the reason he is so good is because growing up he was never as good as his brothers. This pushed him psychologically to want to be the best fighter he could possibly be to make him feel better. Combine that with some amazing training and he got really really good (he'd make any of us look like a joke if we fought him)

Now Silva was probably always the more athletic guy growing up. Combine that with the fact that he has 20 years of mixed martial arts. Oh and for those who don't know, Silva has a black belt in FOUR different martial arts. GSP is the same...black belt in 4 martial arts, including jiu-jitsu. So all those black belts, natural athleticism, 20+ years or experience, and hard work is what led him to be one of the best in the world.

Again, there's 7billion people in the world...so for someone to be the best of the best, there has to be tons of factors on their side to get there. It's so competitive that you need to start at an early age, train all the time, and be naturally gifted as well

If you look at Jones, GSP, and Silva they all have something very similar...natural athleticism and an extremely high work ethic

he knows what to learn' date=' and he knows he doesn't know everything. In modern MMA, lots of the traditionnal martial arts stuff has been thrown away and disdained. You boxing or wrestling coaches will tell you "baah that **** doesn't work". When Silva says he believes he can do things that people think are impossible i'm 100% positive that's exactly what he's talking about.[/quote']

Ya know, come to think about it...gsp/jones/silva all incorporate martial arts into the modern arts (weight lifting/wrestling/boxing)

I think you need some advanced martial arts to be better than the rest, which is what those 3 are...everyone trains jiu-jitsu/boxing/wretling so how do you distance yourself from the pack if you do exactly what everyone else is doing

Archived