Marijuana joint falls out of assistant city attorney's pocket -- in court

TigerChamp

A New Orleans attorney was cited for marijuana possession this week after a joint tumbled out of his pocket in front of police, according to media reports.

Police say Jason Cantrell, who has a private practice but also serves as a part-time assistant city attorney, was in the magistrate section of criminal court chatting with police officers when a marijuana joint fell out of his pocket and onto the floor, the New Orleans Times-Picayune reported.

Cantrell, 43, was a first-time offender and was cited, issued a summons to appear in court for simple possession of marijuana and let go, according to police spokesman Garry Flot.

The handling of his case is the result of an effort by city leaders and prosecutors two years ago to unclog a congested system and allow people arrested for having a small amount of marijuana on them to receive a summons and not be taken to jail, according to the Times-Picayune.

Besides being a private practice attorney, Cantrell doubles as a part-time city attorney, handling cases in traffic court. He was not working for the city when the incident occurred.

City Hall spokesman Ryan Berni told WDSU that Cantrell has been suspended without pay, pending an investigation.

Cantrell?s wife, LaToya, is a candidate for a district seat on the City Council. She released a statement apologizing for her husband and saying, ?I absolutely do not condone his actions,? the New York Daily News reported.

cont at

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/03/14203537-marijuana-joint-falls-out-of-assistant-city-attorneys-pocket-in-court?lite

Cantrell?s wife' date=' LaToya, is a candidate for a district seat on the City Council. She released a statement apologizing for her husband and saying, ?I absolutely do not condone his actions,? the New York Daily News reported.[/quote']

What she meant was, she doesn't condone his actions of being so stupid as to put a joint in his pocket while in the court house...

IDYB' date=' you will be happy to know that former West Vancouver Police Chief and former BC Solicitor General and current MLA Kash Heed is campaigning to legalize marijuana in BC.[/quote']

This is honestly a bad idea IMO. If it passes, all that is going to happen is confusion when the feds come in to bust people who think they are doing something legally.

This is honestly a bad idea IMO. If it passes' date=' all that is going to happen is confusion when the feds come in to bust people who think they are doing something legally.[/quote']

He is not calling for outright use and growing capabilities...

Heed proposes that the possession of small amounts of marijuana be legal for adults in BC (though remain illegal for minors under 19), and be sold and taxed through regulated channels, much like the sale of alcohol and cigarettes, and that the tax goes to support drug treatment and prevention programs.

The pot has to come from somewhere' date=' and would still be illegal to sell on a federal level. Just look at the mess that is MMJ in the states...[/quote']

Of course it does and it will be regulated for growing and sale by the gov't. It's no different than alcohol, if some guy walks up to you on the street and says he has some home brew alcohol for sale, will you drink it? Or will you go to the liquor store and pick up something that you know how it's made and is safe, probably tastes yummy too. A regulated product that was deemed illegal will bring down the price of that product as well now that it is available legally, which in turn will remove many dealers out of the equation as it will no longer be profitable.

Of course it does and it will be regulated for growing and sale by the gov't. It's no different than alcohol' date=' if some guy walks up to you on the street and says he has some home brew alcohol for sale, will you drink it? Or will you go to the liquor store and pick up something that you know how it's made and is safe, probably tastes yummy too. A regulated product that was deemed illegal will bring down the price of that product as well now that it is available legally, which in turn will remove many dealers out of the equation as it will no longer be profitable.[/quote']

Are you even a Canadian? If you are, you have NO clue as to what is going on in this country right now. I can tell you, you are CLUELESS.

My ex-roommate makes homebrew, it's better than most you can buy at the store. Since when is homegrown pot not safe??? CLUELESS!!!!!!!!!

Read up, get informed on the new FEDERAL laws that were passed, THEN get back to me. Harper HATES potheads, take your head out of the sand... Ignorant people...

To hell with prohibition.

Absolutely, but do it the right way so people do go to jail for illegally doing something legal...

Are you even a Canadian? If you are' date=' you have NO clue as to what is going on in this country right now. I can tell you, you are CLUELESS.

Read up, get informed on the new FEDERAL laws that were passed, THEN get back to me. Harper HATES potheads, take your head out of the sand... Ignorant people...

Absolutely, but do it the right way so people do going to jail for illegally doing something legal...[/quote']

Trust me I know all about Harper's stance on marijuana, I am currently campaigning for a seat in the Senate with Harper's Administration. In BC, Kash believes marijuana can be regulated Provincially, where as Christie Clark believes it is a federal matter. In BC however they have a drug program in place that in fact is regulated Provincially/Municipally called Insight that the Prime Minister tried to have shut down but failed in the courts.

Trust me I know all about Harper's stance on marijuana' date=' I am currently campaigning for a seat in the Senate with Harper's Administration. In BC, Kash believes marijuana can be regulated Provincially, where as Christie Clark believes it is a federal matter. In BC however they have a drug program in place that in fact is regulated Provincially/Municipally called Insight that the Prime Minister tried to have shut down but failed in the courts.[/quote']

Well, if you know about Harper and the Omnibus Crime Bill, then you should logically see what a bad idea this is. I've been a part of the legalization movement both here and in the states for 16 years, I know what it is I'm talking about... Your posts give VERY bad and FALSE information. The very fact that you want the government to regulate the pot in this country speaks volumes alone. Are you not aware how BAD and UNSAFE the government pot is in this country?

The BEST thing people can and should do with the current laws are to grow 5 plants or less for themselves. Problem solved.

Well' date=' if you know about Harper and the Omnibus Crime Bill, then you should logically see what a bad idea this is. I've been a part of the legalization movement both here and in the states for 16 years, I know what it is I'm talking about... Your posts give VERY bad and FALSE information. The very fact that you want the government to regulate the pot in this country speaks volumes alone. Are you not aware how BAD and UNSAFE the government pot is in this country?

The BEST thing people can and should do with the current laws are to grow 5 plants or less for themselves. Problem solved.[/quote']

I applaud you for your efforts in legalization, we simply have different reasons why it should be done, how it should be done and who should oversee it. What I won't do is say that your views are very bad or false or that you are wrong in any way, as they are your opinions on a matter that divides many people in both Canada and the US, stick to them.

Are you even a Canadian? If you are' date=' you have NO clue as to what is going on in this country right now. I can tell you, you are CLUELESS.

My ex-roommate makes homebrew, it's better than most you can buy at the store. Since when is homegrown pot not safe??? CLUELESS!!!!!!!!!

Absolutely, but do it the right way so people do go to jail for illegally doing something legal...[/quote']

****?! Mad CAPS yo.

Absolutely, but do it the right way so people do go to jail for illegally doing something legal...[/quote']

Also, I never said home brew anything was not safe, I love home brew, our admin of this site is a fantastic brewer. But when someone brews their own beer and grows a few plants, it's for their own use, it's not like you are going to spike or lace your own booze or weed. Would you really buy stuff (booze) off the streets from someone you don't know? I would think most likely not. We have to make a division between growing for personal use because not everyone is going to want to or be able to grow their own plants, and it is that division that needs regulation. I too am all for personal plant growing under say 5 plants.

Also' date=' I never said home brew anything was not safe, I love home brew, our admin of this site is a fantastic brewer. But when someone brews their own beer and grows a few plants, it's for their own use, it's not like you are going to spike or lace your own booze or weed. Would you really buy stuff (booze) off the streets from someone you don't know? I would think most likely not. We have to make a division between growing for personal use because not everyone is going to want to or be able to grow their own plants, and it is that division that needs regulation. I too am all for personal plant growing under say 5 plants.[/quote']

You make it sound like people would be selling on the street if it were legal... that's plain dumb. There will be businesses set up just like every other business where you will go to buy it, just like microbrews which are glorified homebrews.

Should the government step in and make sure everybody is only growing 5 tomato plants?

I'm for full legalization. Why should there be any division at all, does the government brew beer?

You make it sound like people would be selling on the street if it were legal... that's plain dumb. There will be businesses set up just like every other business where you will go to buy it' date=' just like microbrews which are glorified homebrews.

Should the government step in and make sure everybody is only growing 5 tomato plants?

I'm for full legalization. Why should there be any division at all, does the government brew beer?[/quote']

No in Canada the gov't doesn't brew beer but the Gov't is the only one who can oversee distribution of alcohol.

No in Canada the gov't doesn't brew beer but the Gov't is the only one who can oversee distribution of alcohol.

So, what is wrong with overseeing the distribution of cannabis? I have many friends with medical cards for legitimate reasons, trust me, the government pot was among the absolute worst I've ever seen.

So' date=' what is wrong with overseeing the distribution of cannabis? I have many friends with medical cards for legitimate reasons, trust me, the government pot was among the absolute worst I've ever seen.[/quote']

Which is exactly what I would like to see. Independent growers regulated by the gov't with the gov't overseeing distribution. That way there is a system in place to oversee safety and quality and set prices as well as to collect taxes.

Which is exactly what I would like to see. Independent growers regulated by the gov't with the gov't overseeing distribution. That way there is a system in place to oversee safety and quality and set prices as well as to collect taxes.

Well' date=' we are on exactly the same page then. I just personally see danger in the proposed legalization initiative in BC right now. It looks good on paper but [i']could[/i] get some people thrown in jail for something with dual legality. This is especially dangerous to those who become very successful at it, look at what happened to Marc Emery, and another seed seller on the east coast, they became successful and where made examples of.

Well' date=' we are on exactly the same page then. I just personally see danger in the proposed legalization initiative in BC right now. It looks good on paper but [i']could[/i] get some people thrown in jail for something with dual legality. This is especially dangerous to those who become very successful at it, look at what happened to Marc Emery, and another seed seller on the east coast, they became successful and where made examples of.

Mark Emery got greedy and started distributing his seeds in the US and was convicted State side. Prior to that, no seed distributor in Canada ever got more than a slap on the wrist. That is changing however. I think we have to look at seeds the same way we do the plants and have distribution of the product fall under the same regulations as the plant and the bud.

Mark Emery got greedy and started distributing his seeds in the US and was convicted State side. Prior to that' date=' no seed distributor in Canada ever got more than a slap on the wrist. That is changing however. I think we have to look at seeds the same way we do the plants and have distribution of the product fall under the same regulations as the plant and the bud.[/quote']

Yes, it was the US, but Canada didn't have to extradite... Also, the guy on the east coast got much more than a slap on the wrist, I know a couple of the people involved.

Why would seeds need to be regulated like bud? There is nothing psychoactive in the seeds themselves, they are actual sold openly as health food and nobody cares, unless you sprout them that is...

You sound like you want more government/big brother in your life, this is where we differ.

Yes' date=' it was the US, but Canada didn't have to extradite... Also, the guy on the east coast got much more than a slap on the wrist, I know a couple of the people involved.

Why would seeds need to be regulated like bud? There is nothing psychoactive in the seeds themselves, they are actual sold openly as health food and nobody cares, unless you sprout them that is...

You sound like you want more government/big brother in your life, this is where we differ.[/quote']

Canada will only withdraw extradition where the death penalty comes into play. It is politics and keeping up political relations to co-operate with extraditing criminals.

And I know of the seed arrests you are taking about, the one in Montreal right? If I am not mistaken that was after Emery which is why I said before Emery, people transporting seeds got no more than a slap on the wrist. Since then, they are cracking down and those people in Montreal I believe got 3 years.

Seeds is a grey area, I understand your argument about about the health food, as hemp seeds are a great and healthy product. but isn't there a distinct difference between what is sold as hemp seed for nutritional products and seed that is sold to grow plants? (honestly I am asking as I am not as familiar) I have no problem with hemp seeds for nutritional purposes, but I would think that a person can't go down to their local health food store and buy a pack of hemp seeds, plant them and get a bunch of pot plants, I would think that the product has to be refined in some way (if it is the same seed as pot seeds) That refining process has to be overseen by some sort of health governing body to make sure they are safe for human consumption, that right there is gov't regulations. so it is simply for the safety of all involved.

IDYB' date=' you will be happy to know that former West Vancouver Police Chief and former BC Solicitor General and current MLA Kash Heed is campaigning to legalize marijuana in BC.[/quote']

it basically is legal. just need to get yourself a doctor to sign you off. its pretty easy if you just have behavioral disorders, in my case aspergers. just tell em that the ritalin is actually giving you anxiety and its not helping you sleep. they give you some other stuff, just come back and give them the same story. tell them whats going on and that smoking a joint before bed always does the trick. go grab the proper forms from your doctor, or even your local compassion club and get them to sign a recomendation. as long as you can be straightforward and genuine you should have no problem getting them to sign off. thats what everybody around here seems to be doing anyways.

its pretty much that easy. there are other ways to go about it, but most people dont have cancer, hepatitis and all those other illnesses that will get you a license without having to play with the system. for a growing you can grow up to 10 plants, but you need to obtain a seperate license for it as well as have the homeowners permission, and in most cases this is pretty tough to pull off unless you own a house. people will come by and take an inspection for any given reason as part of the process just to make sure youre not abusing the system. In some cases you can also designate another person to grow it for you if you are not capable. despite the regulations, theres good possibility i would figure that they can still arrest you for doing so under federal law.

It should be legal,you should be able to go to a store/cafe/etc to buy it or pay for a licence to grow it..There should be laws in place about selling or supplying a minor,smoking & driving,& smoking in undesignated areas such as in or around schools,parks,& other public areas..I'd pay good money to go to a library that you could sit,smoke,& read with a little cafe for drinks..

whats wrong with driving stoned? other than clutching the steering wheel for dear life and then realising your only doing 40 down the freeway?

if anything it should be mandatory to drive stoned. people would be more patient rather than to do assholish stuff in traffic. convenience stores and gas stations would get alot more business thus helping the economy

whats wrong with driving stoned? other than clutching the steering wheel for dear life and then realising your only doing 40 down the freeway?

if anything it should be mandatory to drive stoned. people would be more patient rather than to do assholish stuff in traffic

Nothing to me,that ones just to appease the non-smokers & parents..Oh & 3,000th post wooohooo!!

if anything it should be mandatory to drive stoned. people would be more patient rather than to do assholish stuff in traffic. convenience stores and gas stations would get alot more business thus helping the economy

Lol I used to hook up with this chick back a few years ago. And she always knew whenever I was driving stoned because I would drive so much more slowly and cautiously.

Canada will only withdraw extradition where the death penalty comes into play. It is politics and keeping up political relations to co-operate with extraditing criminals.

And I know of the seed arrests you are taking about' date=' the one in Montreal right? If I am not mistaken that was after Emery which is why I said before Emery, people transporting seeds got no more than a slap on the wrist. Since then, they are cracking down and those people in Montreal I believe got 3 years.

Seeds is a grey area, I understand your argument about about the health food, as hemp seeds are a great and healthy product. but isn't there a distinct difference between what is sold as hemp seed for nutritional products and seed that is sold to grow plants? (honestly I am asking as I am not as familiar) I have no problem with hemp seeds for nutritional purposes, but I would think that a person can't go down to their local health food store and buy a pack of hemp seeds, plant them and get a bunch of pot plants, I would think that the product has to be refined in some way (if it is the same seed as pot seeds) That refining process has to be overseen by some sort of health governing body to make sure they are safe for human consumption, that right there is gov't regulations. so it is simply for the safety of all involved.[/quote']

I don't believe that ME would have ever been extradited had Harper not been in charge.

The people in Montreal got arrested first, Mark was at least 2-3 years later. These people operated the same way for many years, even paying taxes just like any other business, and nothing ever happened to them. Harper comes along and look what we have now...

There is no way to tell what the seed will be until you plant it. Most of the places that legally sell super potent cannabis seed as "novelty", items to get away with it.

Does the government come along and "regulate", every roadside tomato stand? Why should they with this?

Archived