Is Chael Sonnen a better wrestler than Bader/Hammill

Sisti

Bader and Hammill are incredibly skilled wrestlers...I definitely think Chael is one of the best wrestlers in MMA as well...he wouldn't be as good as he is if he didn't have insane skill

Do you think that Chael has better wretling than Bader and Hammill?

Lol most definitely.

Why do you think so? Hammill is extremely legit at wrestling...I remember on TUF they kept remarking how he could take anyone down

I would say that Hammill and Chael are about equal in terms of wrestling ability alone. Chael obviously has a striking advantage over Hammill though

I think for MMA wrestling' date=' yes.

Pure wrestling, that'd be a hard one considering Bader and Hamill are such big dudes who probably wouldn't be in Chael's weight class anyways.[/quote']

+1

MMA wrestling =! Freestyle wrestling

They're closely related, but not exactly the same. There are great amateur wrestlers who have had difficulty adapting their wrestling game to the MMA cage. Hamill is an amazing wrestler, but he doesn't always set up his shots and often telegraphs them. Rampage had no trouble stuffing Hamill's shots. When you change the rules, add in strikes and submissions, and fight in a cage, things are (obviously) going to be very different.

Chael has adapted the freestyle/amateur wrestling to MMA as best as anyone out there in my opinion. Others might be superior in a strict wrestling context, but not when it comes to its use in the cage. Brock Lesnar was arguably the best wrestler the heavyweight division had ever seen, but he had some trouble adapting it to the cage. I think Cain Velasquez adapted his wrestling a little better, but not as good as Chael.

The same is true for MMA Boxing versus pure boxing. Fight A might be able to outbox Fighter B in an MMA fight, but if they got into a boxing ring with boxing rules, Fighter B might be the one doing the schooling.

+1

MMA wrestling =! Freestyle wrestling

They're closely related' date=' but not exactly the same. There are great amateur wrestlers who have had difficulty adapting their wrestling game to the MMA cage. Hamill is an amazing wrestler, but he doesn't always set up his shots and often telegraphs them. Rampage had no trouble stuffing Hamill's shots. When you change the rules, add in strikes and submissions, and fight in a cage, things are (obviously) going to be very different.

Chael has adapted the freestyle/amateur wrestling to MMA as best as anyone out there in my opinion. Others might be superior in a strict wrestling context, but not when it comes to its use in the cage. Brock Lesnar was arguably the best wrestler the heavyweight division had ever seen, but he had some trouble adapting it to the cage. I think Cain Velasquez adapted his wrestling a little better, but not as good as Chael.

The same is true for MMA Boxing versus pure boxing. Fight A might be able to outbox Fighter B in an MMA fight, but if they got into a boxing ring with boxing rules, Fighter B might be the one doing the schooling.[/quote']

I think Chael's wrestling is a bit overrated...and I say this primarily because his 2 impressive career performances (one includes a loss, which is pretty sad) were the marquardt fight and chael/silva 1. Those 2 performances he was on roids most likely (he was tested 17:1) and it is hard to say that those performances had nothing to do with that

If you look at his career record and his greatest wins, you can't say that his wrestling has been all that effective. Chael had one sick run against silva because no one challenged that guy before and people tend to overrate him because of that. The truth is that there are many better wrestlers out there than chael...Jones, Hammill, and GSP could definitely take Bisping down

I have a feeling that Jones will study a lot of tape of Chael's and be able to study the takedowns he goes for the most (it's basically a double leg that is chael's strength)

Jones should be able to keep Chael at a distance...and if anything, Jones may actually have an advantage over Jones in the wrestling department. I could see Jones getting the takedown more than I could see Chael getting it

Archived