Is the UFC turning into something it wasn't meant to be?

Sisti

We are coming up on UFC 154

154!

I don't think that UFC 1 and UFC 2 was planning on there being 154 UFCs

The original intention was to have the most badass fighters cage fight with no rules and no weight classes. The goal was to have a real-life bloodsport where only one winner would emerge and we would know who the ULTIMATE FIGHTER is.

The UFC definitely "softened" its image through weight classes, rules, and structure. This helped bring it to the mainstream and brought with it some amazing entertainment.

However, something about UFC 154 just seems to be boring to me. I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same way. Everyone is just so scared to fight nowadays and now people question for 5 years if they could move up ONE weight class (GSP/Silva). The original UFC concept was NO rules NO weight classes. Now we have amazing fighters like GSP, Silva, JDS, and Jones and yet they refuse to fight each other because they weigh slightly different amounts

UFC needs to bring back it's unpredictability and excitement because 4 month gaps between fights and 8 titles seem to be a bit much.

It's just fighting! People want to know one thing, and that is who the best fighter is

154!

The original intention was to have the most badass fighters cage fight with no rules and no weight classes. The goal was to have a real-life bloodsport where only one winner would emerge and we would know who the ULTIMATE FIGHTER is.

The UFC definitely "softened" its image through weight classes' date=' rules, and structure. This helped bring it to the mainstream and brought with it some amazing entertainment.

However, something about UFC 154 just seems to be boring to me. I'm sure a lot of other people feel the same way. Everyone is just so scared to fight nowadays and now people question for 5 years if they could move up ONE weight class (GSP/Silva). The original UFC concept was NO rules NO weight classes. Now we have amazing fighters like GSP, Silva, JDS, and Jones and yet they refuse to fight each other because they weigh slightly different amounts

UFC needs to bring back it's unpredictability and excitement because 4 month gaps between fights and 8 titles seem to be a bit much.

It's just fighting! People want to know one thing, and that is who the best fighter is[/quote']

Yearly tourneys for p4p...3 classes 100 lbs to 185 and 200 lbs to 285. And the plus size 300 to 385

Yearly tourneys for p4p...3 classes 100 lbs to 185 and 200 lbs to 285. And the plus size 300 to 385

Dana would have to throw huge bonuses at the participants, or the fighters would avoid that tourney like football players avoid the pro bowl. Fighters would fake injuries before fights and all that. You would see ducking at its finest.

154!

The UFC definitely "softened" its image through weight classes' date=' rules, and structure. This helped bring it to the mainstream and brought with it some amazing entertainment.

It's just fighting! People want to know one thing, and that is who the best fighter is[/quote']

Fighter safety.

The UFC didn't make up the weight regulations. In April 2000, UFC 28 was their first sanctioned event, following the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board's "Unified Rules".

Regulations may make the sport less... Gladiator -styled. But it does promote fighter safety and thus longer careers for fighters. The first event was only in 93. Those fighters aren't... in fighting condition anymore. Hell, it was okay for fighters to rain down groin shots back then. (Keith Hackney v. Joe Son)

154!

by making it mainstream it also improved the quality of the fighters so I can't ***** on that.

Who is the baddest man on the planet? You would get so many different answers now. Back then it was Royce even though it was really Rickson.

Interesting side note, there's an article chronicling the history of the title "Baddest Man on the Planet" and how boxing actually lost it over 100 years ago in an early proto mma match

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2012/10/23/3541368/the-martial-chronicles-why-cm-punk-is-the-baddest-man-on-the-planet

The UFC didn't make up the weight regulations. In April 2000' date=' UFC 28 was their first sanctioned event, following the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board's "Unified Rules".

Regulations may make the sport less... Gladiator -styled. But it does promote fighter safety and thus longer careers for fighters. The first event was only in 93. Those fighters aren't... in fighting condition anymore. Hell, it was okay for fighters to rain down groin shots back then. (Keith Hackney v. Joe Son)[/quote']

You expect fighters from 1993 to still be fighting?

Interesting side note' date=' there's an article chronicling the history of the title "Baddest Man on the Planet" and how boxing actually lost it over 100 years ago in an early proto mma match

http://www.cagesideseats.com/2012/10/23/3541368/the-martial-chronicles-why-cm-punk-is-the-baddest-man-on-the-planet[/quote']

this article is retarded, a fake wrestler doesnt have this title...

this article is retarded' date=' a fake wrestler doesnt have this title...[/quote']

Disagree I thought the boxing history and the story of the match between Sullivan and Muldoon was pretty damn interesting.

I also thought it pretty obvious that the idea that CM Punk held the title was written with tongue in cheek. But apparently not as obvious as I'd thought,

Fighter are much more evenly matched now. Royce Gracie only won because everybody else sucked.

Now so many fighters are so well rounded the smaller guys wouldn't stand a chance, and that's with only minor weight differences.

It would be great if all fights fought till a finish but then all the health and safety peeps would have a cry.

Archived