Sign in to follow this  
cruz2990

Winklejohn: Bones striking will soon reach A. Silvas level.

What do you guys think about this? Check link out and discuss. I don't think it will ever be as good.....

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/10/23/3545428/jon-jones-anderson-silva-striking-knockout-ufc

There is no chance it might look as good to the human eye, but it's the little things Anderson does that make him head and shoulders above everyone else.

LoL

He will obviously get better and better as time goes on

But he will never be on Silva's level

He just doesn't have the natural talent that Silva does

Why couldn't his striking become as good as Silva's? It could end up being better with his reach and strength. He has the accuracy as seen with his elbows. I don't think he will reach that level anytime soon, but sure he could eventually. Not seeing anything that says he wouldn't.

I don't think there will ever be a unique striker like Silva. It's just the way he moves, no one will every be quite like him.

In terms of increasing skill, power, technique, Jones can only get better. He is young and in 5 years, who knows how good he will be. If he continues to get better each year and with each fight, he may end up being almost as good as Silva at knocking guys out. But they are 2 different types of strikers, so it's hard to properly compare them this way.

If he just keeps getting better, who is going to stop him in the LHW division unless some amazing fighter gets into the UFC that's like him?

ROFL no way

he is way too slow

I wouldn't put too much into speed. Fighters usually get slower as they go up in weight classes. Everyone says Jones is a HW anyway. I'm sure Mighty Mouse has faster striking than Silva.

Winks can say what he wants, but the fact is Jon is terrified of being in the pocket with legit strikers and relies on his length to keep him safe. Arms stretched out with fingers to the face and side kicks to the knees of smaller opponents isn't indicative of great, technical striking; he's just taking advantage of his physical superiority and squeezing every ounce of juice out of that one unique gift.

He also needs to wear his opponents down before he engages with them in the standup, which is why he was so desperate to clinch and get it to the ground with guys like Rampage and Belfort.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Jon will never be completely comfortable in the striking department and reach that zen-level of confidence that Anderson has because in the back of his mind he can always resort to wrestling when times get tough.

You can talk about five years or in the future - as if Anderson hasn't been training to perfection the majority of his life.

Here's the real question. Do you think Anderson at the age of 25 was a better striker than Jones at 25? At 25 Anderson was loseing to Luiz Azererdo

I wouldn't put too much into speed. Fighters usually get slower as they go up in weight classes. Everyone says Jones is a HW anyway. I'm sure Mighty Mouse has faster striking than Silva.

Speed is a huge factor

Anderson is the fastest in his division.....best striker

Mighty Mouse is the fastest in his division.....best striker

JDS is the fastest in his division.....best striker

Winks can say what he wants' date=' but the fact is Jon is terrified of being in the pocket with legit strikers and relies on his length to keep him safe[/u']. Arms stretched out with fingers to the face and side kicks to the knees of smaller opponents isn't indicative of great, technical striking; he's just taking advantage of his physical superiority and squeezing every ounce of juice out of that one unique gift.

He also needs to wear his opponents down before he engages with them in the standup, which is why he was so desperate to clinch and get it to the ground with guys like Rampage and Belfort.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Jon will never be completely comfortable in the striking department and reach that zen-level of confidence that Anderson has because in the back of his mind he can always resort to wrestling when times get tough.

Why would he be in the pocket if he has that advantage? And what happend when he got in the pocket with Lyoto? Jon got hit but Lyoto got dropped.

Speed is a huge factor

Anderson is the fastest in his division.....best striker

Mighty Mouse is the fastest in his division.....best striker

JDS is the fastest in his division.....best striker

I think when Jones is a Heavyweight he'll be one of the fastest if not the fastest up there. And Idk, You think JDS is faster than Barry?

Winks can say what he wants' date=' but the fact is Jon is terrified of being in the pocket with legit strikers and relies on his length to keep him safe. Arms stretched out with fingers to the face and side kicks to the knees of smaller opponents isn't indicative of great, technical striking; he's just taking advantage of his physical superiority and squeezing every ounce of juice out of that one unique gift.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Jon will never be completely comfortable in the striking department and reach that zen-level of confidence that Anderson has because in the back of his mind he can always resort to wrestling when times get tough.[/quote']

Very good post ^^^

I think when Jones is a Heavyweight he'll be one of the fastest if not the fastest up there. And Idk' date=' You think JDS is faster than Barry?[/quote']

I think JDS is faster than Barry but then again it doesn't matter because they are both top strikers lol

I agree if Jones goes to HW he will be one of the fastest

Here's the real question. Do you think Anderson at the age of 25 was a better striker than Jones at 25? At 25 Anderson was loseing to Luiz Azererdo

lol wikipedia watch a fight dude Andy got lay n prayed...

The fight he had be for that against Fabricio Camoes you can see the flashes of greatness.

Winks can say what he wants' date=' but the fact is Jon is terrified of being in the pocket with legit strikers and relies on his length to keep him safe. Arms stretched out with fingers to the face and side kicks to the knees of smaller opponents isn't indicative of great, technical striking; he's just taking advantage of his physical superiority and squeezing every ounce of juice out of that one unique gift.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Jon will never be completely comfortable in the striking department and reach that zen-level of confidence that Anderson has because in the back of his mind he can always resort to wrestling when times get tough.[/quote']

good post

Anderson is focusing completely on striking though, Jones is still a wrassler at heart, and his striking is always going to be second (as it should be)

lol wikipedia watch a fight dude Andy got lay n prayed...

The fight he had be for that against Fabricio Camoes you can see the flashes of greatness.

And I'm really just talking about where he was as a fighter. Jones is showing more than flashes of greatness and that is with A level opponents.

Silva is more natural, JBJ is powerhouse. Its not about striking its about approach to fighting.

With first sentence I don't want to say Silva is not strong, because he is.

As long as he trains with Greg Jackson he will not be a great striker. Greg tells him just strike enough to keep you out of trouble and set up a takedown.

Can you imagine where Jones striking and BJJ would be if he spent some camps training at blackhouse? JDS,Silva, Machida, Nog Brothers.....Sensei Seagal

makes sense to me

Maybe. Give Wink credit, he has gotten Condit's stand up better than Andersons over time. I don't think this is to far of a stretch.

Can you imagine where Jones striking and BJJ would be if he spent some camps training at blackhouse? JDS' date='Silva, Machida, Nog Brothers.....[b']Sensei Seagal[/b]

And then your post lost credibility.

Perfect post! I agree wholeheartedly and was actually going to say something very similar to this.

If he would have fought Hendo he would have never stood with him...unless he did his kick to the knees and keep his distance.

Maybe. Give Wink credit' date=' [b']he has gotten Condit's stand up better than Andersons over time.[/b] I don't think this is to far of a stretch.

Fail.......

Maybe. Give Wink credit' date=' h[b']e has gotten Condit's stand up better than Andersons over time. [/b]I don't think this is to far of a stretch.

You're kidding me right!? ^^^

Condit's striking is NOT better than Silva's LoL

although his striking could be amazing the thing that makes andersons striking the best is something that cant be worked on, he has a natural ability to read and react, so even if technically he is as good, he will never really be as good

exactly, and theres nothing wrong with what jon is doing, and he should play to his strengths. anderson just has supreme confidence and matrix like timing, he sees things happening in slow motion

And I'm really just talking about where he was as a fighter. Jones is showing more than flashes of greatness and that is with A level opponents.

I agree JBJ is ahead by age standards but purely based on technique - disregarding Jones' strength, reach, etc. - He will never be on Anderson's level.

He may one day be as effective in terms of putting most of his opponents away striking.

However he wont ever be as good, the way Anderson drops his hands, casually slips shots and counters world class fighters making them look like absolute jobbers is supernatural.

He may one day be as effective in terms of putting most of his opponents away striking.

However he wont ever be as good' date=' the way Anderson drops his hands, casually slips shots and counters world class fighters making them look like absolute jobbers is supernatural.[/quote']

When Silva drops his hands, that means something horrific is about to happen to his opponent. I don't think anyone else will have that identifiable trend