Who's striking is better? Shogun's or Jonny Bones?

Junglebird

Honestly, I think in a kickboxing or Muay Thai match, there's a lot of people in the LHW division that could out strike Jones.

Shogun, Machida, Rampage (boxing only), Anderson Silva....but once you throw in the wrestling, clinch takedowns and all of Jones's strengths he becomes better. Look at what Anderson Silva does to people when he's not worried about the takedown (Forrest Griffin) and then see what happens when he is (Silva vs Chael 1)

Honestly' date=' I think in a kickboxing or Muay Thai match, there's a lot of people in the LHW division that could out strike Jones.

Shogun, Machida, Rampage (boxing only), Anderson Silva....but once you throw in the wrestling, clinch takedowns and all of Jones's strengths he becomes better. Look at what Anderson Silva does to people when he's not worried about the takedown (Forrest Griffin) and then [b']see what happens when he is[/b] (Silva vs Chael 1)

chael got finished twice

Anderson is not part of this convo because normal laws of physics dont apply to him.

Shogun knocked out Rampage' date=' Machida, Liddell, Overeem twice etc.

People just forget that he's past his physical prime.

If we go prime Shogun vs prime Jones, I say Shogun is the better striker, but now, Jones obviously :rolleyes:[/quote']

Just pointing out he knocked out Machida yes... In the fight before the Jones fight...

Just saying with the physcial prime and what not.

Shogun is a better pure striker.

Lol' date=' if a guy who wins the Pride Grand Prix and knocks out 16-0 Lyoto Machida to win the UFC Championship is a bum, I don't know what you are.[/quote']

i was being colorful with my description, as my shock to shogun being ahead of the pole after bones made him tap to strikes....

i like me some shogun, but jones murdered him standing.... /thread

Just pointing out he knocked out Machida yes... In the fight before the Jones fight...

Just saying with the physcial prime and what not.

Shogun is a better pure striker.

Nah, Shogun was past his prime before that. In the fights against Coleman and Forrest he looked horrible, Machida just isn't a guy who pushes the pace too much that's why Shogun did well because he was the aggressor.

Shogun doesn't do well with guys that bring it (like Vera did) anymore

I hope Gustafsson doesn't push the pace too much and ends up knocked out :)

shogun was injured.

dosnt count.

Yes it does count because he lost and he lost his belt.

But let's see, 24 year old Shogun was knocking guys like Rampage, Arona and Overeem out and his cardio was much better than it is today.

Let Jones be in some wars and see how his body holds up, he's much more careful than Shogun was and he'd never go toe to toe with those guys I mentioned. He'd keep his distance, use his knee cap kicks, etc.

Obviously Jones is the better fighter today, and that's no shame because Jones is already one of the greatest and IMO the most well rounded guy EVER in MMA. But Shogun is a better striker

Nah' date=' Shogun was past his prime before that. In the fights against Coleman and Forrest he looked horrible, Machida just isn't a guy who pushes the pace too much that's why Shogun did well because he was the aggressor.

Shogun doesn't do well with guys that bring it (like Vera did) anymore

I hope Gustafsson doesn't push the pace too much and ends up knocked out :)[/quote']

A refreshing taste of unbiased realism.

I thouroughly enjoyed it. Mostly because of the little things non-MMA fans wouldn't get.

Just watched it, lots of references :D

The fight in the rain, the ring giving up as it did in a fight between Sonnen vs Mayhem, Rampage's slam, the Showtime kick :D

I didn't like the movie that much but the final fight was pretty cool

this is only a debate for idiots. shogun is miles beyond jones in technical ability, if we are just going to talk about who has more skill in a particular dimension. please dont be a fool and bring up their fight either, that was not an example of anything relevant to this question

jones in fact has vastly overrated striking. just because he throws a good spinning elbow does not make him a great striker.

lyoto showed he was on another level when they fought, and will again when they rematch. in fact, i will go as far as to say that if lyoto comes better prepared for the grappling game, he will either win an easy UD or get the stoppage

this is only a debate for idiots. shogun is miles beyond jones in technical ability' date=' if we are just going to talk about who has more skill in a particular dimension. please dont be a fool and bring up their fight either, that was not an example of anything relevant to this question

jones in fact has vastly overrated striking. just because he throws a good spinning elbow does not make him a great striker.

[b']lyoto showed he was on another level when they fought[/b], and will again when they rematch. in fact, i will go as far as to say that if lyoto comes better prepared for the grappling game, he will either win an easy UD or get the stoppage

The floor when Bones dropped him. Then back on the floor 20 seconds later when he dropped him unconscious.

Archived