Sign in to follow this  
Sisti

The "MMA Three"

I feel like this has been around forever...three guys battling for the top p4 spot, and no clear consensus on who is the best

At one point it was Silva/GSP/Fedor

Then GSP/Silva/Penn

Then GSP/Silva/Jones

Who will be the next guy to join the top 3 p4p guys? My guess is Bendo once he starts getting more dominant wins...I could also see JDS...can't say Aldo b/c he is facing too weak competition in his division

Anderson is the only one with p4p credentials, as he is the only one who has fought in multiple weight classes. Jones is a heavyweight keeping himself at a lower weight class, beating up light heavyweights and middleweights like a bumlord.

I feel like this has been around forever...three guys battling for the top p4 spot' date=' and no clear consensus on who is the best

[b']First it was Silva/GSP/Fedor[/b]

Then GSP/Silva/Penn

Then GSP/Silva/Jones

Who will be the next guy to join the top 3 p4p guys? My guess is Bendo once he starts getting more dominant wins...I could also see JDS...can't say Aldo b/c he is facing too weak competition in his division

you are so showing your MMA "age"

this sport goes back a little further than GSP and Anderson Silva.

BJ Penn was the P4P king while GSP was still working tent shows in Saskatchewan ( is that how you spell it?)

And to be perfectly frank, as much as I respect Fedor's accomplishments and say he was undoubtedly the best HW on the planet for a stretch, and will go down as one of the all time greats, to anyone watching, that knew what they were watching, he was never at the top of the P4P list based on skillset and technique alone. Everything he did was sloppy and technically way off base, but he did it with such a determination and will that he was near impossible to beat, in his time.

All time great, absolutely yes. P4P great? emphatically no.

I think you should edit your post...

it wasn't "first" just say "For example at one point it was..., then..., then..."

Also Silva and GSP have been at the top so long I don't remember who was top before they came around.

1. Fedor

2. Wanderlei

3. Hughes

:confused:

to answer your question Aldo for sure. Faber and Mendes aren't top competition?

EDIT: Forgot Fedor

2008 pound 4 pound rankings:

1. Silva

2. Fedor

3. GSP

http://www.411mania.com/MMA/columns/87287/411//s-MMA-Rankings-10.09.08:-Pound-For-Pound.htm

2007 pound 4 pound rankings:

1. Silva

2. GSP

3. Rampage (!!!!)

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/leaguepage/dd-mmarankings030608?prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Basically Silva/GSP has dominated the Top 3 forever...I'm assuiming it was Liddell dominating p4p before Silva

Also, TUF1 has the best sig ever lol

2005 top 3:

1. Fedor

2. Gomi

3. Hughes

2006 top 3

1. Fedor

2. Liddell

3. GSP

2007 top 3:

1. Silva

2. GSP

3. Rampage

2008 top 3:

1. Silva

2. Fedor

3. GSP

2009 top 3:

1. Fedor

2. Silva

3. GSP

I feel like this has been around forever...three guys battling for the top p4 spot' date=' and no clear consensus on who is the best

Then GSP/Silva/Penn

Then GSP/Silva/Jones

Who will be the next guy to join the top 3 p4p guys? My guess is Bendo once he starts getting more dominant wins...I could also see JDS...can't say Aldo b/c he is facing too weak competition in his division[/quote']

My money would be on JDS. I disagree with your Aldo assessment, however, He deserves a mention at the very least.

:cool:

I love Gomi but wow

And how does Fedor go from #1 to off the list to #1 again without losing in between :confused:

Surprised at no wandy or chuck either

What's your source sisti?

yeah the gomi and rampage ones surprised me the most...i guess gomi was on an insane winning streak and tearing it up in japan when the 2005 p4p rankings came out...i just googled 2005 mma p4p rankings, 2006, etc. they were mostly sherdog's rankings

My money would be on JDS. I disagree with your Aldo assessment' date=' however, He deserves a mention at the very least.[/quote']

If JDS could string together a few impressive wins I definitely think he would break the top 3...don't see jones/gsp/silva losing their belt in the next year, but anything could happen

If JDS could string together a few impressive wins I definitely think he would break the top 3...don't see jones/gsp/silva losing their belt in the next year' date=' but anything could happen[/quote']

Certainly if he beats Cain, Overeem, and whoever else comes after that I'd say we have a new "MMA Four". HW champs outside of Fedor have rarely been consistent with their dominance. Sad thing is I would actually like to see JDS vs Barnett since Barnett has High level jujitsu like Mir, but also has the wrestling credentials to get it to the ground. I don't see that fight ever happening though.

1. Anderson Silva- beat everyone at MW and a few at LHW

2. Dan Henderson- multiple wins against top level competition at MW, LHW, and HW

3. Georges St. Pierre- 2nd most dominant champ ever. Boring as hell, but gets the win. Will instantly become #1 if he can beat Silva.

1. Anderson Silva- beat everyone at MW and a few at LHW

2. Dan Henderson- multiple wins against top level competition at MW' date=' LHW, and HW

3. Georges St. Pierre- 2nd most dominant champ ever. Boring as hell, but gets the win. Will instantly become #1 if he can beat Silva.[/quote']

Shields>Hendo

Anderson is the only one with p4p credentials' date=' as he is the only one who has fought in multiple weight classes. Jones is a heavyweight keeping himself at a lower weight class, beating up light heavyweights and middleweights like a bumlord.[/quote']

:cool:

Then GSP/Silva/[b']Penn[/b]

Then GSP/Silva/Jones

..What? When was Penn a p4p fighter with GSP and Silva? Let alone number 3? When he was LW champ he was at his peak and he was still not the p4p king. Top 10 when he was LW champ maybe. Silva is number one, GSP and Jones is 2 and 3. Aldo is next. Even if his weight class is weak p4p is based on your fighting skills not just your competition.