Lombard vs. Palhares Discussion Thread

BruteDion

I really like this matchup. Well done' date=' Joe Silva! I think Lombard will take it, but I wouldn't be surprised if Paul Harris pulls off a crazy sub. The winner should get the Bisping/Belfort loser (if that fight actually happens).[/quote']

Bisping and vitor are both top 5ers and the loser would drop no further then 7th I would think and to have a guy (winner of Palhares/Lombard) who maybe just broke the top 10 fight him I think would be bad match making....give him a brian Stann at the lowest/a mark okami at the highest

Crack the top 10?

Both are already in the top 10' date=' bro.[/quote']

What?...no...be4 Lombard lost he was 11th...why would he move up with a lose...and Palhares was around that be4 his lost aswell?

Non order top11

Silva

Vitor

Munoz

Boescth

Munoz

Weidman

Stann

Okami

Belcher

Bisping

Rockhold

Justify in detail which of those guys (total of 3) BOTH Palhares and Lombard are ranked over them

Bisping and vitor are both top 5ers and the loser would drop no further then 7th I would think and to have a guy (winner of Palhares/Lombard) who maybe just broke the top 10 fight him I think would be bad match making....give him a brian Stann at the lowest/a mark okami at the highest

Stann loses to both guys and Okami will lose to Belcher this time. Munoz could be good if he gets a win by then. Maybe Munoz vs. Stann.

Lombard is a Judoka

Judoka;s do not practice/use leg locks' date=' its an illegal move, and lombard is pretty flat footed, he could get caught in a leglock

could be interesting to see how well Lombard is prepared.

I think Lombard will take this though, he just had a bad fight.[/quote']

This is very true...but he also trains with two gums that are Bjj/submission wrestling(manly catch-can) which both have leg locks so I do think he will be prepaid

First of all' date=' you counted Munoz twice. I've been calling Munoz overrated for years and we'll finally get to see it in the future. He's gotten so many gift decisions it's not even funny. And the first time he went up against a top guy he got KTFO. Munoz is top 10 right now, but not top 5.

And Rockhold doesn't deserve to be in the top 10. The only guy I can remember him facing is Jardine. (which isn't a good thing) Until he comes over to the UFC and fights top 15 - 20 guys consistently, he doesn't deserve to be on the list.

Palhares despite some set-backs has been tearing it up with finishes. Another loss would probably boot him from a top spot in the MW division, but as of right now he's still ranked fairly high. As for Lombard, Weidman in no way "beat" him. That fight shouldn't even be taken into consideration when placing Lombard in the division. Boetsch point fought similar to Condit and should be ashamed of himself.

TLDR; Take 1 f the Munoz's and Rockhold off your list and put in Palhares and Lombard.[/quote']

My bad I put Munoz twice...but I'm talking in facts here...not who I think is better

Facts are Munoz has 2 top 10 wins and Lombard has NO TOP 25 WINS IN THE PASS 5 YEARS...that's fact look it up...I'm bout to bump my thread where I talked bout this

Also Rockhold has one top 10 win in Jacare...this also is a fact...more then both Palhares and Lombard....also Rockhold is the champ of a better Org with better fighters in its divison...you can't justify Lombard being ranked higher when Rockhold has faced and beat better people

So no...those two guys (Rockhold,Munoz) have to stay top ten....also you said Munoz if a top ten guy earlier in your post...you cant really think Lombard is as high as #8

lombard sucks, who cares if he scrapes into the top 10 or not he still needs to prove himself. His last fight was appalling and im annoyed at all the nut huggers that hyped him so much only for me to be extremely let down come fight night.

i think palhares should be an easy win for him since his TDD is great and he has heavy hands vs palhares with no real technical standup. But lomtard could suprise us all by getting subbed in the first minute and proving to us all hes a can.

Let's say we're talking UFC only' date=' since we're never going to agree on Rockhold.

If you take the extra Munoz out, would they both be top 10?[/quote']

No lol...I listed 11 (Munoz twice and Rockhold)...if you take out one Munoz (cuz of my mistake and the otherone stays cuz you even said Munoz is top 10) and one Rockhold thatvleave 9 fighters not 8

Also there is no reason to take out Rockhold...why would you take him out...he has a top 10 win and both Palhares and Lombard have non (that is a ranking fact) and also Lombard has NO TOP 25 WINS which Rockhold has 2

Rockhold resume in the last 5 years > Lombards resume in the last 5 years

There is mo debating that....also Sf has the better MW roster then Bellator

lombard sucks' date=' who cares if he scrapes into the top 10 or not he still needs to prove himself. His last fight was appalling and im annoyed at all the nut huggers that hyped him so much only for me to be extremely let down come fight night.

i think palhares should be an easy win for him since his TDD is great and he has heavy hands vs palhares with no real technical standup. But lomtard could suprise us all by getting subbed in the first minute and proving to us all hes a can.[/quote']

Lombard is still a killer...sure he's not 10...but he is still a good fighter...if given the chance I think he could beat a few top 10 guys (Stann,okami maybe,Munoz maybe)....problem is Boescth is also really good and underrated...he beat a perennial top 5 guy in okami right after he just got a title shot

Who do you think would win if Rockhold fought Lombard?

I don't think Rockhold would be able to compete with him TBH.

rockhold is a very solid fighter, his TDD is great and his standup is well rounded. I think he would beat alot of the Top 10 guys in the UFC bisping included. Against lombard i think rockhold could beat him, his leg kicks are much better than boetsch and he has just as much of a gas tank he could easily out point strike him if he wanted. Also has a solid chin to but it wouldnt be smart gonig toe to toe with lombard in a striking matchup but ya never know rockhold could come out on top there to.

Who do you think would win if Rockhold fought Lombard?

I don't think Rockhold would be able to compete with him TBH.

Lombard would win I would think

But even though I think that I'm not going to be biased when it comes to ranking...thats just me

Ranking are fact based

Skill level is not

Rankings: Rockhold > Lombard

Skill level: Lombard > Rockhold

That's how I see it

tims win over okami had alot to do with luck, he was loosing every second of that fight until he rocked okami.

boetsch performance wasnt entetaining against lombard it was boring, but it showed a huge whole in lombards fighting style, he doesnt move very much and any fighter with good kicks and a gas tank can beat him.

rockhold would have a better chance of exploiting that weakness than boetsch did.

rockhold is a top 10 and would be in the ufc, but i doubt he would be top 5. i think he has the skill thoguh to beat... okami, boetsch, bisping.

Lombard is a Judoka

Judoka;s do not practice/use leg locks' date=' its an illegal move, and lombard is pretty flat footed, he could get caught in a leglock

Trust me he trains leglocks anyone in mma does and especially anyone that was coached by Erik Paulson for as long as he was does and if he's facing Palhares you better believe he'll amp that part of his game up a few notches and look for ways to avoid it all together.

He also has toehold win on his record from 2005 and broke someones leg in a grappling tourney in 2010.

What?...no...be4 Lombard lost he was 11th...why would he move up with a lose...and Palhares was around that be4 his lost aswell?

Non order top11

Silva

Vitor

Munoz

Boescth

Weidman

Stann

Okami

Belcher

Bisping

Rockhold

Justify in detail which of those guys (total of 3) BOTH Palhares and Lombard are ranked over them

WTF!!! First off You have Weidman below Munoz (Munoz #3??? LMAO!!!), Munoz got DOMINATED by Weidman. You also have Boetsch above Weidman which is questionable at best.

You have Stann above Bisping? Really? First off Bisping has already beaten Stann, and he got completely dominated by Sonnen and has lost 2 of his last 3 fights. Stann in the top 6? Yeah, that makes your rankings credible.

Having Belcher, Okami, Stann, above Bisping I do not buy for one second.

Silva

Weidman

Bisping

Belfort

Boesch

Munoz

Okami

Rockhold

Belcher

Stann

That's more about how I'd rank em.

With that said, I expect Lombard can take Palhares, butcha never know.

WTF!!! First off You have Weidman below Munoz (Munoz #3??? LMAO!!!)' date=' Munoz got DOMINATED by Weidman. You also have Boetsch above Weidman which is questionable at best.

You have Stann above Bisping? Really? First off Bisping has already beaten Stann, and he got completely dominated by Sonnen and has lost 2 of his last 3 fights. Stann in the top 6? Yeah, that makes your rankings credible.

Having Belcher, Okami, Stann, above Bisping I do not buy for one second.

Silva

Weidman

Bisping

Belfort

Boesch

Munoz

Okami

Rockhold

Belcher

Stann

That's more about how I'd rank em.

With that said, I expect Lombard can take Palhares, butcha never know.[/quote']

he wrote "Non order top11" right before the list so undered best 11 fighters? ;)

Non order top11

Silva

Vitor

Munoz

Boescth

Munoz

Weidman

Stann

Okami

Belcher

Bisping

Rockhold

Let's keep the names relevant now.

• 4 weeks later...
Lombard is a Judoka

Lombard has submission wins by leglock and his go-to submissions are leg locks and armbars actually.

Lombard doesn't have much leg to lock though, I have a hard time seeing Palhares winning that way, maybe a choke however.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived