Bas Rutten on Chael Sonnen: "Never had a title, except for the one he gave himself."

Trollsmasher

i like how he waits until the fans have already voiced thier opinion before giving his own to make sure it doesnt clash with the general mma public. He could of made this post around the actual time it was announced.

lol...good point...saying that isn't all that ground-breaking right now lol

why is chael getting so much flack lately? he was never a universal fan favorite, but he's more bashed than jones at this point

lol...good point...saying that isn't all that ground-breaking right now lol

why is chael getting so much flack lately? he was never a universal fan favorite' date=' but he's more bashed than jones at this point[/quote']

Because everyone wants to see Jones lose and Chael pretty much took that shot away from anyone that could beat him for now.

This is sadly amusing, coming from overrated Rutten.

Let's first put out there that Chael rightly should've had a WEC title, but Filho (who had the belt) missed weight and so for that reason it wasn't a title fight...which Sonnen won. To be fair, Sonnen rightly won a title but was screwed by technicalities.

Meanwhile, most of Bas' fighting career was in Pancrase. Where fans saw wrestling works, and conveniently Ken Shamrock lost his title (twice) to the same fighter (Suzuki) before going and competing in a rival promotion (UFC). Bas' first title win was over Suzuki after one of Ken's falls to avoid Pancrase losing face.

He unified it after his fight with Frank was stopped because Frank had a cut and the Japanese have weird aversion to fights being bloody. Then Bas only defended his title once more when Funaki (Pancrase founder, who was ok with losing to guys to build up their rep and the promotion) lost enough points to be DQ'd.

Then Bas' only major UFC win was a split decision over Randleman.

The guy is overrated and he's running his mouth when Chael deserved his first belt more than Bas did.

Bas is right. Attacking his career doesn't change the reality of what he's saying.

This ^

And anybody that bashes Bas is either a boy that has know knowledge past last year or a Sonnen fanboy that has his tities in a knot. Bas actually fought and fought to finish unlike pillow fists Sonnen that dry humps you to a decision. Bas was also UFC champ, something Sonnen will never be, deal with it.

Sonnen wishes he was half as funny or charismatic as Bas.:cool:

I like Bas' date=' and sure he is right. But what was the point of saying that..? :confused:

BREAKING NEWS: everybody guess what, Nik Lentz, Melvin Guillard, and Kenny Florian have never held any titles ever before.

Discuss.[/quote']

My guess is a reporter, or analysts might have interviewed him about what he thought on Jones vs. Sonnen and someone quoted it. Questions formulated by the media are always made to stir something up nowadays.

This ^

And anybody that bashes Bas is either a boy that has know knowledge past last year or a Sonnen fanboy that has his tities in a knot. Bas actually fought and fought to finish unlike pillow fists Sonnen that dry humps you to a decision. Bas was also UFC champ' date=' something Sonnen will never be, deal with it.

[b']Sonnen wishes he was half as funny or charismatic as Bas[/b].:cool:

I think that goes the other way around

This ^

And anybody that bashes Bas is either a boy that has know knowledge past last year or a Sonnen fanboy that has his tities in a knot. Bas actually fought and fought to finish unlike pillow fists Sonnen that dry humps you to a decision. Bas was also UFC champ' date=' something Sonnen will never be, deal with it.

[b']Sonnen wishes he was half as funny or charismatic as Bas[/b].:cool:

Sonnen is twice as charismatic, funny and successful.

Bas needs to stop acting like undeservingly winning a title in 1999 and never defending it means something.

Sonnen is twice as charismatic' date=' funny and successful.[/b']

Bas needs to stop acting like undeservingly winning a title in 1999 and never defending it means something.

I honestly don't see it. The guy has the lamest one liners in history. He sucks at being a politician. He sucks at mma (guy has been triangled how many times)? LOL!

And are you really serious about the succesful part? LMAO! Everything Bas touches turns to gold. As I said before...Pancrase champ, UFC champ, Commentator, Has own tv show and has acted in many movies, and has made millions on mma training products.

Sonnen will be a nobody after a few years. Mark my words. Bones will kill him and he will be forever known as the guy with a big mouth and no skills.

Bas was lucky that the judges were racist in the 90's

Even though you say this is a troll post I have to say that those were the good old days when judges based their criteria on damage, not on holding a guy down like its a wrestling match, that is why he beat Randleman. His face was hamburger.

Then again i guess I shouldn't be surprised as you think Diego clearly beat Kampman.

Leave it up to Bas to say something like that..... and then start kissing Chael's *ss again when he's on his show. There's been a couple of embarrassing situations like that already. Tate and Rousey fight comes to mind.

Bas needs to stfu or start training again

True

Then again i guess I shouldn't be surprised as you think Diego clearly beat Kampman.

Kampmann won the first round and then backpedalled. The judges agree

Bas beat cans and lost thrice to Shamrocks' date=' LOL. I love Bas, but he wasn't as great as people make him out to be.

Matt Brown would 100-0 if he fought tomato cans like Bas.[/quote']

When Bas lost to Ken he wasn't good at ground fighting at the time. It wasn't until later that he got good on the ground. Ken was a definitely dangerous with leglocks at that time.

This ^

Sonnen wishes he was half as funny or charismatic as Bas.:cool:[/quote']

First, yes, I'm bashing Bas because much of his legacy was set down in Pancrase, which much more closely resembled pro wrestling than Pride, WEC, Strikeforce, UFC, KOTC, etc....

He won a UFC title and retired. He fought guys who were willing to take falls for the sake of a promotion's image. Then he has spent years spouting his opinions on fights and people listen to it like the MMA gospel.

Sonnen hasn't officially won a title, but as I said before, he was cheated by a technicality.

As others have said, Bas is late to jump on the train of criticizing Sonnen.

Finishing? Well, Sonnen tried pretty hard to pound Silva out the first time, tried for an arm triangle too. Triangled Stann. Is his style to stand and trade and dish out KOs? No. Is he some BJJ ace known for submitting people? Not really, but does that make him less of a fighter? Nope.

I've never been impressed by Bas in any way, and his lame poking at Sonnen is just that, lame.

Not much there from Bas really,just the obvious.

Lyoto and Hendo expressing dissappointment is more important because CHael was i thought Hendo's buddy,Chael thought he was lol.

Dana's philosophy is ridiculous.He is rewarding Chael for stepping up,well of course Chael would take a big money match,he knows he would NEVER earn it otherwise,so that was his ONLY chance at Jones.All the other fighters believe they can earn their way there.

Not much there from Bas really' date='just the obvious.

Lyoto and Hendo expressing dissappointment is more important because CHael was i thought Hendo's buddy,[b']Chael thought he was lol.[/b]

Dana's philosophy is ridiculous.He is rewarding Chael for stepping up,well of course Chael would take a big money match,he knows he would NEVER earn it otherwise,so that was his ONLY chance at Jones.All the other fighters believe they can earn their way there.

You are so hilarious! Do you live under a rock or have you missed that Dan is cornering Sonnen?

Archived