Georges St-Pierre says Frankie Edgar is No. 1 pound-for-pound fighter in the world

Pengu

well considering Frankie has been beating guys much bigger than him (including Bendo' date=' he won the 2nd fight.) then does that not make him MORE p4p than someone like Jones who is beating guys who are smaller than him?[/quote']

Well imo he lost the first Penn fight, wasn't as big of a robbery as the 2nd Benson fight but hey.

But to say Silva is number 3?! :confused:

well considering Frankie has been beating guys much bigger than him (including Bendo' date=' he won the 2nd fight.) then does that not make him MORE p4p than someone like Jones who is beating guys who are smaller than him?[/quote']

Frankie lost both fights and no, it does not. P4P doesn't exist anyway.

Of course he is. There's no debate. You guys forget what pound-for-pound means.

If all the current champions fought at the weight they are walking around, they'd get destroyed. Imagine Aldo fighting at 170. GSP fighting at 205. The only fighters who can do that is Frankie Edgar and JDS.

If all the current champions fought at the weight they are walking around' date=' they'd get destroyed. Imagine Aldo fighting at 170. GSP fighting at 205. The only fighters who can do that is Frankie Edgar and JDS.[/quote']

Yeah and Silva would smack them all

If all the current champions fought at the weight they are walking around' date=' [b']they'd get destroyed[/b]. Imagine Aldo fighting at 170. GSP fighting at 205. The only fighters who can do that is Frankie Edgar and JDS.

It doesn't mean anything, it does not exist.

And Frankie does get destroyed every fight lmao. He seriously gets his *** kicked and survives decisions. If your logic is true here than Hendo is the undisputed #1 "P4P" fighter in the world.

It doesn't mean anything' date=' it does not exist.

And Frankie does get destroyed every fight lmao. He seriously gets his *** kicked and survives decisions. If your logic is true here than Hendo is the undisputed #1 "P4P" fighter in the world.[/quote']

Who has he gotten his *** beat and came back to decision them? Who? :)

Well imo he lost the first Penn fight' date=' wasn't as big of a robbery as the 2nd Benson fight but hey.

But to say Silva is number 3?! :confused:[/quote']

yeah true, and Anderson is No. 1 for sure, there's no other way around it, I don't know why but champs and fighters have such outrageous rankings in their head, I don't know if they're trying to be humble/****y but still, crazy!

Tyson Griffin' date=' Gray, Penn, and Bendo.

The only fight where he even looked like a beast to me was his fight with Bocek.[/quote']

LMFAO!!!! Ok, I'm done talking to idiots. He KO'd Gray. He didn't get is *** beat by Penn, you dumb ****. LOL!!

Seriously, how old you are? Like 12? 13?

Also, Condit ran.

LMFAO!!!! Ok' date=' I'm done talking to idiots. He KO'd Gray. He didn't get is *** beat by Penn, you dumb ****. LOL!!

Seriously, how old you are? Like 12? 13?

Also, Condit ran.[/quote']

He clearly lost all those fights.

Edgar is a bum.

Diaz is trash.

I'm 20.

He clearly lost all those fights.

Edgar is a bum.

Diaz is trash.

I'm 20.

Yeah, sure. Beating the best LW's, becoming champion, and defending it when you should be fighting at 135 is the definition of bum.

Is that why Condit ran and avoided a fight at all cost? :)

God damn, man. Then, you're just stupid. You should've just said you were 13, so at least you could have an excuse.

Yeah' date=' sure. Beating the best LW's, becoming champion, and defending it when you should be fighting at 135 is the definition of bum.

Is that why Condit ran and avoided a fight at all cost? :)

God damn, man. Then, you're just stupid. You should've just said you were 13, so at least you could have an excuse.[/quote']

He was never even champ or beat the best LW's. To be the champ, you gotta beat the champ. He got outstruck by Penn and didn't deserve the belt. He didn't do jack ****. Which is also why he clearly lost the second Bendo fight. And where do you get this **** from? Should be fighting at 35? A weight he didn't even wrestle at before he got kicked out of Rutgers and eventually got his illustrious plumbing job.

He was never even champ or beat the best LW's. To be the champ' date=' you gotta beat the champ. He got outstruck by Penn and didn't deserve the belt. He didn't do jack ****. Which is also why he clearly lost the second Bendo fight. And where do you get this **** from? Should be fighting at 35? A weight he didn't even wrestle at before he got kicked out of Rutgers and eventually got his illustrious plumbing job.[/quote']

come on bro, hate on Edgar all you want but he CLEARLY deserved to win the 2nd fight

after the first round he kicked bendo's ***.

come on bro' date=' hate on Edgar all you want but he CLEARLY deserved to win the 2nd fight

after the first round he kicked bendo's ***.[/quote']

No. Benson won RDS 1, 3, and 4. Maybe even the fifth, i might have to re-watch it. To be the champ you got to beat the champ, a lot of the close rounds Edgar was hesitant to seize the round and in those situations you gotta give those RDS to the champ. Again, to be the champ, you gotta BEAT the champ right? Edgar didn't convincingly do it. Not saying Benson dominated him like he should have, but he won for sure.

w/e Im going to bed but its worth a re watch... Bendo looked like crap and his only chance against diaz is lay and pray' date=' hes easily the worst champ out of the 8[/quote']

lol.. jeez, did Bendo bang your girl?

I disagree. I think Mighty Mouse is the worst champ right there with Cruz.

I am really excited to finally see Aldo vs Edgar, because the outcome of that fight would really tell us if Edgar is the top 3 p4p.

If he loses then yeah he was a good fighter at 155 who was a lot faster than regular LWs who had a great chin,great boxing and wrestling, but fighting guys his size, who have his speed and just as technical, he really isn't the top dog.

But if he wins god damn he should be considered number 2, #1 imo still is Anderson, the dude finishes guys easily-you just can't **** with that

Junior is overlooked AGAIN.

Seriously, if he beats Overeem he has pretty much cleaned out every legit contender in his weight class and most of them had a good deal of size on him.

If you're gonna give Edgar the cake for surviving against bigger men, you better give Junior the whole goddamn bakery for dominating the giants.

Top 2 P4P are Anderson and Cigano. Indisputable. #3 depends on what you're looking at it.

just like Anderson and BJ Penn dont.

Penn does, for sure, but Silva? He said himself he walks at 230. That's almost as much as JBJ, and more than Lyoto, Bader, Shogun, and the list goes on. Bonnar is bigger, I'll give you that, but he's not any good.

Frankie fought a much larger wrestlers in Maynard & Bendo, BJ did the same with GSP and Fitch. Silva could have against Jonny Boy, but won't because he's nervous.

On top of that, BJ fights 2 weight classes below him and still fought Lyoto Machida. Silva won't because they've been intimate.

Frankie has fought a weight class up his whole career, and became champ. And he has a chance to become a 2 weight class champ, which is impressive to me.

No. Benson won RDS 1' date=' 3, and 4. Maybe even the fifth, i might have to re-watch it. To be the champ you got to beat the champ, a lot of the close rounds Edgar was hesitant to seize the round and in those situations you gotta give those RDS to the champ. Again, to be the champ, you gotta BEAT the champ right? Edgar didn't convincingly do it. Not saying Benson dominated him like he should have, but he won for sure.[/quote']

LOL. So, by your logic, Frankie beat Ben the first time, right? :)

anderson-silva-42.jpg

+ 30 lbs

=

1239363-anderson-silva-090212-3-editorial.jpg?1328803577

This is what I was saying in another post, Silva is a natural LHW, if not small HW. So he has a little fat on him, when he loses it, he's too skinny at MW, doesn't look natural. Him beating guys that are LHW isn't a big deal to me, I think he can beat most. Until he fights some good LHW's, it's hard to tell just how good he is.

Sometimes I feel like the fans know more about MMA than the fighters themselves

I guess it makes sense though...these guys are not the best in the world in MMA trivia...some fans follow this stuff way more than fighters

Absolutely. I'm not in a training camp, rehabbing an injury, or in contract negotiations. I have all the time in the world to watch all the UFC events, follow MMA news stories, and post here. It's not at all uncommon for fighters to not be aware of everything that's going on in the world of MMA, or even their own company (the UFC in this case). Many of them won't even watch PPVs when they're at home. I remember Brock Lesnar being asked about Chael Sonnen's comments (this was just before the first Silva v. Sonnen fight), to which Brock responded "I don't know who he is." Matt Hughes also strikes me as the sort of farm boy who wouldn't make a point to sit down in front of the television every time the UFC is on.

I still like GSP, even though I think is opinion of Frankie "The Rematch" Edgar is a little off. Edgar's a tough little dude, but he's been bested. He got lucky in his first decision win over Penn (it was a close fight, but in order to beat the champ...), although he did much better in the rematch. He got schooled in the first round of the Maynard fight, although he did well enough in the latter rounds to justify the draw. At least he finished Maynard the second time around. He lost the first Bendo fight for sure, and while I think he deserved the decision in the rematch, it's yet another case of "in order to beat the champ, you gotta BEAT the champ." His tantrums after losing a decision aren't particularly endearing either.

Sometimes fighters have bizarre opinions of other fighters - that's just the way it is. Maybe the fact that they've been in the cage with some of these guys gives them a myopic viewpoint, whereas fans like us get to judge from afar and Monday morning quarterback our opinions in. Remember when Mir picked Lesnar to destroy Overeem? I wonder if that had anything to do with the fact that he got bulldozed by Brock at UFC 100. I love Randy Couture, but his fight picks aren't always the most accurate.

Maybe they just say this to mess with the other fighters and his own mind. He probably didn't put Silva no.1 because he knows he may fight him and doesn't want to put it in his own head that someone is better than him that will fight him. He knows that now he won't fight Edgar so he puts him down at the best because that helps him sleep better at night. Think about going into a fight with Silva if your GSP, you're not going to come out and start talking about how he's the best fighter in the world and how you probably won't win. You're going to say that he's not the best fighter . He knows he's not going to fight Jones, so he put him no.2. This basically forces him to put Silva no.3 since he can't put himself on the list so he can stay humble.

Penn does' date=' for sure, but Silva? He said himself he walks at 230. That's almost as much as JBJ, and more than Lyoto, Bader, Shogun, and the list goes on. [b']Bonnar is bigger, I'll give you that, but he's not any good.[/b]

Frankie fought a much larger wrestlers in Maynard & Bendo, BJ did the same with GSP and Fitch. Silva could have against Jonny Boy, but won't because he's nervous.

On top of that, BJ fights 2 weight classes below him and still fought Lyoto Machida. Silva won't because they've been intimate.

Frankie has fought a weight class up his whole career, and became champ. And he has a chance to become a 2 weight class champ, which is impressive to me.

People on this forum say he should be in the UFC hall of fame.

People on this forum say he should be in the UFC hall of fame.

Fame means famous. Bonnar will be remembered as the guy who fought and should have won that Forrest Griffin/TUF 1 "greatest fight of all time" Every UFC fan has seen or should have seen that fight and knows about it.. And he'll always be remembered by never getting finished and always bringing it--well, until he met Anderson Silva.

Frankie lost both fights and no' date=' it does not. P4P doesn't exist anyway.[/quote']

Shannon, Im just as big a penn fan as yourself and id love to sit here and say penn won that second fight but he didnt, Edgar was on another level.

The first fight was a pick'em fight and wasn't going to be a robbery whoever it went too.

Personally I gave it to frankie but wouldn't have been outraged had it gone to penn.

Edgar is for sure a p4p fighter, he is a natural featherweight who is beating the best lightweight ever in Penn, then knocking out his arch nemesis in Maynard before going on to prove he is the best lightweight in the world by the way he looked in the bendo fights, the result is irrelevant when discussing Frankie's quality.

Is he the 1 p4p fighter in the world?

I can see why GSP said he is, personally I have Silva as 1, GSP 2, Edgar 3.

Obviously 'p4p' is all baloney anyway but its nice to see frankie get the credit he deserves off someone like GSP.

Shannon' date=' Im just as big a penn fan as yourself and id love to sit here and say penn won that second fight but he didnt, Edgar was on another level.

The first fight was a pick'em fight and wasn't going to be a robbery whoever it went too.

Personally I gave it to frankie but wouldn't have been outraged had it gone to penn.

Edgar is for sure a p4p fighter, he is a natural featherweight who is beating the best lightweight ever in Penn, then knocking out his arch nemesis in Maynard before going on to prove he is the best lightweight in the world by the way he looked in the bendo fights, the result is irrelevant when discussing Frankie's quality.

Is he the 1 p4p fighter in the world?

I can see why GSP said he is, personally I have Silva as 1, GSP 2, Edgar 3.

Obviously 'p4p' is all baloney anyway but its nice to see frankie get the credit he deserves off someone like GSP.[/quote']

Great post.

Archived