Most undeserved title shot in UFC history?

Junglebird

1. Sonnen --1 fight at LHW 7 years ago, coming off a loss in a lesser division, completely skips over everyone else at LHW for a title shot (including ducking a rematch with Forrest whom he lost to first time around)

2. Lesnar--gets a shot with a 2-1 record (1-1 in UFC) and has the least MMA experience of any UFC fighter at the time

3. Machida--beats Randy Couture with a flashy front kick and gets a shot. Lost twice in a row before that to Rampage and Shogun.

4. Hardy--Riding a 7 fight win streak at least when he fought GSP. But he was way outclassed. 2 close decisions wins over Swick and Marcus Davis to get his shot. Oh and some guy named Rory Markham.

5. Edgar (vs Aldo)--Who else would face Aldo at this point? And everyone's wanted this superfight for quite sometime....we just all thought Frankie would still have his belt.

6. Edgar (vs Bendo 2)--Though the first fight wasn't very close, Edgar showed he was a true champion with or without the belt everytime he fought. At least the 2nd Bendo fight was a lot closer.

1. Sonnen --1 fight at LHW 7 years ago' date=' coming off a loss in a lesser division, completely skips over everyone else at LHW for a title shot (including ducking a rematch with Forrest whom he lost to first time around)

2. Lesnar--gets a shot with a 2-1 record (1-1 in UFC) and has the least MMA experience of any UFC fighter at the time

3. Machida--beats Randy Couture with a flashy front kick and gets a shot. Lost twice in a row before that to Rampage and Shogun.

4. Hardy--Riding a 7 fight win streak at least when he fought GSP. But he was way outclassed. 2 close decisions wins over Swick and Marcus Davis to get his shot. Oh and some guy named Rory Markham.

5. Edgar (vs Aldo)--Who else would face Aldo at this point? And everyone's wanted this superfight for quite sometime....we just all thought Frankie would still have his belt.

6. Edgar (vs Bendo 2)--Though the first fight wasn't very close, Edgar showed he was a true champion with or without the belt everytime he fought. At least the 2nd Bendo fight was a lot closer.[/quote']

good points.

1. Sonnen --1 fight at LHW 7 years ago' date=' coming off a loss in a lesser division, completely skips over everyone else at LHW for a title shot (including ducking a rematch with Forrest whom he lost to first time around)

[b']The only fighter to step up besides half the top MW's. [/b]

Became Champion end of story.

Fair enough but he was one of a few that wasn't ducking and a true test for Jones.

At the time Hardy was on a hot streak and the divisions only real contenders had all faced GSP and lost.

No we didn't I knew Frankie would lose to Bendo and he should be a worthy challenge for Aldo.

6. Edgar (vs Bendo 2)--Though the first fight wasn't very close, Edgar showed he was a true champion with or without the belt everytime he fought. At least the 2nd Bendo fight was a lot closer.

This^^ Frankie didn't deserve the rematch. P4p least deserved title shot in UFC history.

:D

frankie vs aldo

frankie vs bendo 2

sonnen vs jones

wait a minute....is frankie fighting aldo next? i thought a while ago aldo said **** you buddy get in line? for the love of god somebody please tell me what he did to earn this shot other than lose his last two fights in a row, and only be able to win 1 fight in his last 4 (despite almost getting KTFO in that one fight he managed to come back and win)

please tell me which one of the fertitta's ***** he had to suck to get another shot at gold? this is extremely ridiculous

has he even fought at featherweight before? why the **** does Rematch Frankie get so many title shots? You guys do realise that if he loses to aldo the first time this february, he will have to see it again at least one more time right?? hopefully by the end of next october this will all be over with and he can go back to fighting a contender.

his fighting style bores me to death. Hes more consistant than GSP has or will ever be when it comes to scoring decisions. here we got dana white trashing greg jackson and guida after their last super-elusive footwork style of crap no different then frankie edgars, yet he keeps gift wrapping Rematch Frankie more title shots?

this doesnt make sense

6. Edgar (vs Bendo 2)--Though the first fight wasn't very close, Edgar showed he was a true champion with or without the belt everytime he fought. [b']At least the 2nd Bendo fight was a lot closer.[/b]

No, it wasn't. Edgar dominated.

No' date=' it wasn't. Edgar dominated.[/quote']

no. he put on a better performance then he did the first time around. his footwork didnt fool anybody. it was a closer fight but the only thing edgar ever dominates is making his fights go the distance. Even GSP cant stay at his pace.

then again that rematch shouldnt have happened. jim miller was next in line and was more than likely going to have his shot at glory until frankie edgar decided to LITERALLY CRY to dana white the next day after losing his title and beg him for a rematch. that was a pity rematch. he didnt earn another shot, the first time around it wasnt even that convincing at all. there wasnt anything controversial at all about that fight except frankie thought he won.

the second time around yeah, he did better. but he still got outworked. not by that much. maybe next time he should use his speed and footwork to actually try to finish the fight rather than to avoid and it might work out different

im still mad as hell that hes getting gift wrapped another free title shot, in a weight class hes never even fought in, against a true killer! what the **** did he do to earn it? this is even more outrageous than brock losing a fight, decisioning a bum, and getting a shot at the title against a legend.

no. he put on a better performance then he did the first time around. his footwork didnt fool anybody. it was a closer fight but the only thing edgar ever dominates is making his fights go the distance. Even GSP cant stay at his pace.

then again that rematch shouldnt have happened. jim miller was next in line and was more than likely going to have his shot at glory until frankie edgar decided to LITERALLY CRY to dana white the next day after losing his title and beg him for a rematch. that was a pity rematch. he didnt earn another shot' date=' the first time around it wasnt even that convincing at all. there wasnt anything controversial at all about that fight except frankie thought he won.

the second time around yeah, he did better. but he still got outworked. not by that much. maybe next time he should use his speed and footwork to actually try to finish the fight rather than to avoid and it might work out different

im still mad as hell that hes [b']getting gift wrapped another free title shot, in a weight class hes never even fought in, against a true killer! what the **** did he do to earn it?[/b] this is even more outrageous than brock losing a fight, decisioning a bum, and getting a shot at the title against a legend.

frankie just may be the king of free title shots

Honest question: what would you say if Edgar actually beat Aldo?

I doubt he will and it depends on what happens what i'll have to say about it. If he wins like Condit over Diaz or lay n pray i'll be dissapointed and Frankly Frankie pretty much will only beat Aldo by doing one of the two most likely the latter.

I give Frankie props but i hate his fighting style and i think he's grossly overrated by most people. He's not as good as people say he is but he's a tough SOB, great athlete and he does have his moments.

For being such a well rounded and technical badass he sure takes a lot of damage doing the Kalib shuffle half the time. At other times he looks impressive.

I doubt he will and it depends on what happens what i'll have to say about it. If he wins like Condit over Diaz or lay n pray i'll be dissapointed and Frankly Frankie pretty much will only beat Aldo by doing one of the two most likely the latter.

I give Frankie props but i hate his fighting style and i think he's grossly overrated by most people. He's not as good as people say he is but he's a tough SOB' date=' great athlete and he does have his moments.

For being such a well rounded and technical badass he sure takes a lot of damage doing the Kalib shuffle half the time. At other times he looks impressive.[/quote']

Considering that I loved Pride more and love K1MT more then ufc, i think the frankie edgar/greg jackson approach to fighting is whats killing the sport for me. You should NEVER need to have a football field between you and your opponent. But im used to the ring where the furthest someone will stand away is JUST outside of kicking range. And they also constantly find the new to shuffle around. They will stand right in front and maybe take one step in either direction to find openings then will just throw

Considering that I loved Pride more and love K1MT more then ufc' date=' i think the frankie edgar/greg jackson approach to fighting is whats killing the sport for me. You should NEVER need to have a football field between you and your opponent. But im used to the ring where the furthest someone will stand away is JUST outside of kicking range. And they also constantly find the new to shuffle around. They will stand right in front and maybe take one step in either direction to find openings then will just throw[/quote']

They just really need to get all the refs on board for enforcing the timidity rule.

So let me get this straight. Sonnen gets the most votes because he's coming off of a loss and hasn't fought anyone in the division, yet Edgar is getting a title shot after losing 2 in a row and never fighting in the division. Not to mention, the guy that Sonnen lost too also happens to be the GOAT, and the two guys that Frankie lost too simply aren't.

I'm starting to think that half of the forum members are actually hormonal teenage girls that just post and vote with their "feelings" instead of looking at facts and making the correct decision.

Like right here. Obvious hormonal teenage girl. Doesn't look at the facts. Doesn't even know that Edgar's fighting Aldo Superbowl weekend. Just votes cause he doesn't like Sonnen.

I knew Edgar was getting a shot. I just don't know why he's on the list when you look at what he's done @ LW. Sonnen has like no momentum at 205lbs in the UFC.

I knew Edgar was getting a shot. I just don't know why he's on the list when you look at what he's done @ LW. Sonnen has like no momentum at 205lbs in the UFC.

Two fighters are moving weightclasses and getting immediate title shots.

Fighter A is coming off of a loss against the greatest fighter we've ever seen.

Fighter B is coming off of 2 losses against a good, but not a GOAT worthy fighter.

Tell me how fighter B has more "momentum" and is more deserving?

Two fighters are moving weightclasses and getting immediate title shots.

Fighter A is coming off of a loss against the greatest fighter we've ever seen.

Fighter B is coming off of 2 losses against good' date=' but not GOAT worthy fighters.

Tell me how fighter B has more "momentum" and is more deserving?[/quote']

Frankie fought and beat bigger guys (Penn was considered GOAT at LW for the longest)and defended the belt in a weight class w/ heavier guys. His last 2 fights are arguable even though I favor Bendo. Sonnen is more of a cash cow than a legitimate threat to Jones title. Sonnen isnt a UFC champion either.

well... His rematch with Bendo was iffy at best. Bendo ****ed him up.

now he's getting another shot at 145 without a single fight in the class

I had Bendo winning both fights mainly due to leg kicks and grappling. Frankie deserves a shot at WW just for beating Penn twice imho, but Ill leave that one alone lol ;). I thought Frankie was gonna get the win at UFC 150 the first time I watched it. After the the second time I had Bendo winning.

Archived