Sign in to follow this  
PRIDEneverDIED

Good Books

I have a lot of free time now and i really enjoy reading a good book, im not to picky on genres and stuff like that as long as its a good read....please recommend some good books...fiction/nonfiction/bios/autobios anything goes really throw some stuff out there please.

just finished Dangerous Laughter by Steven Millhauser hes a good author and it was great but i need more....

The Don Juan series by Carlos Castaneda is a favorite of mine. If you've ever been into metaphysics it's a very cool read.

I should mention it involves shamanism and lots of psychotropic drug experimentation.

Zen & the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

Catch 22

Psycho Cybernetics

Fooled by Randomness

Slaughterhouse Five

Cat's Cradle

Brave New World

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

James Rollins writes some pretty good stuff. Thriller meets science/history. It actually works out pretty well. Best reads by him would be Map Of Bones, Amazonia, The Judas Strain.

One of my personal favorites are the Broken Sky series by Chris Wooding. It's a young adult fantasy series about a brother and sister who join a resistance to despose an evil king and his daughter. Sounds pretty cliche but there's a lot that's pretty original to keep it interesting. They're a pain in the *** to find since you have to actually buy the book (you can't get them on Kindle) but they've been a personal favorite for years.

Also, you can never go wrong with anything by Stephen King.

Catch 22

Psycho Cybernetics

Fooled by Randomness

Slaughterhouse Five

Cat's Cradle

Brave New World

I second!

Anything by Isaac Asimov, Robert Silverberg or Tad Williams will NOT be a waste of time!

The Don Juan series by Carlos Castaneda is a favorite of mine. If you've ever been into metaphysics it's a very cool read.

I should mention it involves shamanism and lots of psychotropic drug experimentation.

just ordered the first of the series...sounds really ****in awesome! let you know what i think...i even got rush delivery!

Excellent book on succeeding in business and life.

the-e-myth-pic1.png

the_e_myth_revisited.JPG

ill def have to check it out...i could use a little life coaching lol

Catch 22

Psycho Cybernetics

Fooled by Randomness

Slaughterhouse Five

Cat's Cradle

wow! i absolutely LOVED zen & the art of motorcycle maintenance and Slaughterhouse Five....with your taste in those 2 ill have to do some research on the others see what looks interesting!

thank you all for your input! it only took for 3 replies and i think i found a lot of solid reading material to keep me occupied...even if the thread dies now it was a success :)...im gonna do a little research on Brady's and the other on Alethia's list to get a little more insight...

keep the ideas coming tho! already ordered the one book considering others now...

James Rollins writes some pretty good stuff. Thriller meets science/history. It actually works out pretty well. Best reads by him would be Map Of Bones' date=' Amazonia, The Judas Strain.

One of my personal favorites are the Broken Sky series by Chris Wooding. It's a young adult fantasy series about a brother and sister who join a resistance to despose an evil king and his daughter. Sounds pretty cliche but there's a lot that's pretty original to keep it interesting. They're a pain in the *** to find since you have to actually buy the book (you can't get them on Kindle) but they've been a personal favorite for years.

Also, you can never go wrong with anything by Stephen King.[/quote']

I second!

Anything by Isaac Asimov' date=' Robert Silverberg or Tad Williams will NOT be a waste of time![/quote']

wow didnt think this thread would get many replies at all i have a lot of research to do now! thanks fellas!

just ordered the first of the series...sounds really ****in awesome! let you know what i think...i even got rush delivery!

ill def have to check it out...i could use a little life coaching lol

wow! i absolutely LOVED zen & the art of motorcycle maintenance and Slaughterhouse Five....with your taste in those 2 ill have to do some research on the others see what looks interesting!

thank you all for your input! it only took for 3 replies and i think i found a lot of solid reading material to keep me occupied...even if the thread dies now it was a success :)...im gonna do a little research on Brady's and the other on Alethia's list to get a little more insight...

keep the ideas coming tho! already ordered the one book considering others now...

Cool! Hope you dig it as much as I do.

Hey' date=' despite what the mainstream says, reading is not just for nerds. It's absolutely one of the most useful hobbies one can engage in.[/quote']

Cool guys take the girl to the prom. Then they go to work for the nerds, not before they surrender the women to them ;)

Dark Tower series

Odd Thomas series

Oh, and Boy's Life by Robert R. McCammon

I've read that book 100 times and it never gets old in my opinion

Kind of kids books but seriously The Series of Unfortunate Events books are awesome. Acually pretty creepy for being kids books. I have all thirteen of them on a shelf in my room to this day.

Also I'm sure youve heard it before but Forrests books are effing hilarious.

David Gemmel's Troy series. Such a good telling of the story

Catch 22

Psycho Cybernetics

Fooled by Randomness

Slaughterhouse Five

Cat's Cradle

Brave New World

+1

+ Siddhartha

just about done with The Teachings of Don Juan...great recommendation i LOVE it already ordered the next 3....im gonna have a library from this thread...still looking for other recommendations i can get through a book pretty quick so hollar at me.....

Just finished reading the first book in the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy series. Douglas Adam's writing style and humour are genius.

Ill also second 1984, which blew me away. How Orwell was so precocious to foresee the Big Brother society, and also amazing how he writes a political, social and cultural masterpiece into what is essentially a love story is beyond me.

Other than that I have read mostly non fiction. Lots of books by Richard Dawkins on evolution, a few by Sam Harris on atheism and moral philosophy. I'd always recommend books by both.

Magician by Raymond E Feist

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Two books I have read many times and always enjoy

Just finished reading the first book in the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy series. Douglas Adam's writing style and humour are genius.

Ill also second 1984' date=' which blew me away. How Orwell was so precocious to foresee the Big Brother society, and also [b']amazing how he writes a political, social and cultural masterpiece into what is essentially a love story is beyond me[/b].

Other than that I have read mostly non fiction. Lots of books by Richard Dawkins on evolution, a few by Sam Harris on atheism and moral philosophy. I'd always recommend books by both.

If you are impressed by this kind of writing ability, then you must read and I repeat - it is a must read - "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" by Thomas Hardy. This is essentially one of the greatest novels ever written.

Call me old school but Stephen King novels can really get you pumping! (That is. If you are a horror or thriller story fan)

I also enjoy Jonathan Maberry's Rot and Ruin if you are into zombies. And continue reading, bro. It is good for the soul!

IMO, everything from Iain Banks (fiction), and Iain M. Banks (science fiction), is worth reading. His sci-fi is the best of the genre IMO.

On 11/10/2012 at 6:35 AM, B_radly1406052482 said:

Excellent book on succeeding in business and life.

the-e-myth-pic1.png

That's Danielle Ford 👀- instant chubby

........................image.png.2d9c658f7456251e89388134e94b5ea4.png

Edited by Bezerker101
  • Like 1

I just read an article last night that was about the most common books people lie about reading... 1984 made the list lol. 

But anyway, 1984 was ok. If you are politically active, you should be able to make some erie connections. But for the sake of diversity lol, I would recommend........

The Trial by Franz Kafka - I was getting my undergraduate in politics and law (just for a frame of mind) at the time and this book made me so angry reading, pretty frustrating and somewhat depressing. I guess it's all about how you look at it.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2020 at 1:32 AM, thestorm-1 said:

I just read an article last night that was about the most common books people lie about reading... 1984 made the list lol. 

But anyway, 1984 was ok. If you are politically active, you should be able to make some erie connections. But for the sake of diversity lol, I would recommend........

The Trial by Franz Kafka - I was getting my undergraduate in politics and law (just for a frame of mind) at the time and this book made me so angry reading, pretty frustrating and somewhat depressing. I guess it's all about how you look at it.

I went through a phase of reading the American 'classics'

1984 is decent, and catch 22 is awesome. 

Catcher in the rye, however, was an absolute dud.

On 4/18/2020 at 11:06 AM, Bubba_Sparks said:

I went through a phase of reading the American 'classics'

1984 is decent, and catch 22 is awesome. 

Catcher in the rye, however, was an absolute dud.

Yeah to each their own. I agree that Catch 22 is better than 1984. One that I personally like, but most others I know absolutely can't stand is The Great Gastsby. I don't know what it is, but I really like it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thestorm-1 said:

Yeah to each their own. I agree that Catch 22 is better than 1984. One that I personally like, but most others I know absolutely can't stand is The Great Gastsby. I don't know what it is, but I really like it. 

I'm a fan of the Great Gatsby. Way better than the film.

8 hours ago, Bubba_Sparks said:

I'm a fan of the Great Gatsby. Way better than the film.

Funny thing is that I really liked the film too. It has been a while since I have seen it, but it is usually the example I use when people have asked 'what film I like that critics disliked?'. I don't think the film does nearly as much as the book, but I like it nonetheless.

• Like 1