Sign in to follow this  
BispingTheBeast

Stefan Struve vs. Mark Hunt Likely for UFC on Fuel 8 in Japan

A heavyweight fight has been confirmed for the UFC?s return to Japan as Stefan Struve will likely face off with Mark Hunt.

Sources close to the fight confirmed to MMAWeekly.com that verbal agreements are in place for the contest landing at Saitama Super Arena on March 2.

A winner of four fights in a row, Stefan Struve has slowly been making his climb into the top ten of the heavyweight division.

The Dutch fighter literally grew up inside the Octagon, and now looks to take another step towards his ultimate goal of earning a UFC title shot at some point in the future.

Stefan-Struve-UFC-107-Post-Presser.jpg

RELATED POSTS

Stefan Struve Post-Fight Interview (UFC on Fuel TV 5 Video)

UFC on Fuel TV 5 Play-by-Play: Stefan Struve vs. Stipe Miocic

Mark Hunt Out, Lavar Johnson in at UFC 146

Stefan Struve vs. Mark Hunt Finalizes All Heavyweight Main Card for UFC 146

UFC 144 Japan Play-by-Play: Mark Hunt vs. Cheick Kongo

Standing in his way is former K-1 fighter Mark Hunt, who returns to his old stomping grounds in Japan for his next appearance in the UFC.

Hunt is a winner of three fights in a row including knockouts over Cheick Kongo and Chris Tuchscherer, and now hopes to add a 7-footer to his resume when he faces Struve.

While verbal agreements are in place, UFC officials have yet to announce the bout or where it may land on the UFC on Fuel 8 televised card.

I loved this fight the first time it was going to happen and I still love it. If Hunt wins this I say give him a title shot after Reem.

I'm trying to dispute this in my mind thinking that Hunt needs another fight under his belt before fighting for the belt, but with the UFC style of logic for matchmaking, this could very well happen. That's not to say I wouldn't love to see Hunt as champ.

Struve is ever improving. He's learning how to use his range control distance. I really don't see how Hunt can catch Struve with that deceptive distance covering speed when Struve can fight with so much distance between them.

It's fairly evident that Struve is miles ahead with bjj. If Mark misses with that crucial ko strike when he lunges in, Struve will tie him up in the clinch and score an easy takedown, then submission.

I hope with all my heart that Hunt can win this fight, but I just don't think it happens. :(

Also, I believe Barry vs Struve was the biggest height discrepancy in a ufc fight with Barry being 5'11 and Struve being 6'11... but since then Struve was remeasured to be 6'11.5 and Hunt is 5'10. If this fight happens the record will be extended from 12 inches to 13.5

I swear Joe Silva just wants to see if it's possible to take someone out a foot taller...

I'm trying to dispute this in my mind thinking that Hunt needs another fight under his belt before fighting for the belt' date=' but with the UFC style of logic for matchmaking, this could very well happen. That's not to say I wouldn't love to see Hunt as champ.[/quote']

Well ya I mean the HW division isn't very deep, so when they do finally get a solid contender they don't really make him do much to get a shot. Id say a streak of wins over Rothwell, Kongo, and Struve would be about the equivalent of any other streaks carried by past contenders when they got their title shots.

Struve is ever improving. He's learning how to use his range control distance. I really don't see how Hunt can catch Struve with that deceptive distance covering speed when Struve can fight with so much distance between them.

It's fairly evident that Struve is miles ahead with bjj. If Mark misses with that crucial ko strike when he lunges in' date=' Struve will tie him up in the clinch and score an easy takedown, then submission.

I hope with all my heart that Hunt can win this fight, but I just don't think it happens. :(

Also, I believe Barry vs Struve was the biggest height discrepancy in a ufc fight with Barry being 5'11 and Struve being 6'11... but since then Struve was remeasured to be 6'11.5 and Hunt is 5'10. If this fight happens the record will be extended from 12 inches to 13.5

I swear Joe Silva just wants to see if it's possible to take someone out a foot taller...[/quote']

Hunt's ground game isn't thaaaaat bad, I legitimately think he can go to the ground with Struve and survive, I do believe Struve can sub him too though.

On another note, will this be the main event? Struve just came off a main event and is on a roll and so is Hunt and he's pretty well known and liked in Japan so I don't see any reason not too, not like any Japanese star is going to headline it

Hunt's ground game isn't thaaaaat bad' date=' I legitimately think he can go to the ground with Struve and survive, I do believe Struve can sub him too though.

On another note, will this be the main event? Struve just came off a main event and is on a roll and so is Hunt and he's pretty well known and liked in Japan so I don't see any reason not too, not like any Japanese star is going to headline it[/quote']

I could see this being the main event for sure. Japanese MMA fans love super tall fighters and they love Mark Hunt.

Well ya I mean the HW division isn't very deep' date=' so when they do finally get a solid contender they don't really make him do much to get a shot. Id say a streak of wins over Rothwell, Kongo, and Struve would be about the equivalent of any other streaks carried by past contenders when they got their title shots.[/quote']

pretty much

You know it's true. Struve is improving. I knew he would win the Lavar Johnson fight if he fought smart, and he did. If he knows better than to strike with Lavar Johnson, he knows better than to take his chances on the feet with Hunt.

You know it's true. Struve is improving. I knew he would win the Lavar Johnson fight if he fought smart' date=' and he did. If he knows better than to strike with Lavar Johnson, he knows better than to take his chances on the feet with Hunt.[/quote']

Yes, but Hunt is not stupid. Lavar likes to hold his opponents up against the cage and wail on them (Wall N Wail), Struve used that to his advantage and was able to pull off an arm bar. Hunt likes to keep his distance and only close the range to deliver VERY heavy shots, so far guys with that style of game plan (Browne, Nelson, and JDS) have been able to KO Struve without giving him much chance to get it to the ground. It should be a damn good fight, but Im taking Hunt by KO. Not counting Struve out though, that guy always comes to fight and has the ability to beat just about anybody.

Yes' date=' but Hunt is not stupid. Lavar likes to hold his opponents up against the cage and wail on them (Wall N Wail), Struve used that to his advantage and was able to pull off an arm bar. Hunt likes to keep his distance and only close the range to deliver VERY heavy shots, so far guys with that style of game plan (Browne, Nelson, and JDS) have been able to KO Struve without giving him much chance to get it to the ground. It should be a damn good fight, but Im taking Hunt by KO. Not counting Struve out though, that guy always comes to fight and has the ability to beat just about anybody.[/quote']

Yeah, I didn't take that into consideration. I will say, though, that Struve seems like he has been improving. In his fights with JDS and Roy, he was a bit more reckless, but I think he finally learned something from the Brown fight.

Yeah' date=' I didn't take that into consideration. I will say, though, that Struve seems like he has been improving. In his fights with JDS and Roy, he was a bit more reckless, but I think he finally learned something from the Brown fight.[/quote']

I agree for sure, Struve gets better with every fight. The dude is only 24 years old, he still has A LOT of time to grow as a fighter, and in the coming years I could see him becoming an unstoppable force. I just feel in this fight if Hunt can land that one good shot its going to be night night for Struve, but like i said I am not counting him out at all.

I agree for sure' date=' Struve gets better with every fight. The dude is only 24 years old, he still has A LOT of time to grow as a fighter, and in the coming years I could see him becoming an unstoppable force. I just feel in this fight if Hunt can land that one good shot its going to be night night for Struve, but like i said I am not counting him out at all.[/quote']

I agree.

I loved this fight the first time it was going to happen and I still love it. If Hunt wins this I say give him a title shot after Reem.

Fair enough. People laugh at Hunt, but the guy has had a serious career comeback

YES! I wanted to see this fight back when it was first announced!

Struve by epic comeback! Or Hunt by ridiculous headkick KO because Struve always has to get knocked out in a funny way.

WAR GODSCRAPER!

31696.jpg

StefanStruve.jpg

StefanStruve2.jpg

His Bonnar will touch the sky!

02_crop_exact.jpg?w=650&h=440&q=75

I'm kind of a fan of Struve he always seems respectful but he also always seems to get matched with fighters I'm a bigger fan of.

Hunt by brutal KO!

Struve might be able to get him down and sub him or maybe use the massive size advantage for a UD but I think Hunt gets another highlight reel KO.

One of my favorite Struve fights is one that never gets any recognition, and that is Struve Vs Buentello. Thet was such a good fight, Buentello came very close to beating Struve but Struve toughed it out and won a close decision.

:confused:...GET off the crack:D

I just hate it when the UFC matches up two of my favourite fighters, this is just like Nog/Werdum, and Overeem/Bigfoot. Why not let Werdum smash Mir since according to Dana, " Mir has the best BJJ in the HW div." Why not let Nog go out on a high note and beat up Travis Browne. Why not let Ubereem beat the tar out of Cain instead of letting Cain fight for the title? Why not let Bigfoot retire Carwin? I guess actually the Struve/ Hunt fight makes sense, cause well who else is left?

Is there a more deserving HW after Cain and Reem besides Mark?

Cormier is the only name I can think of. An argument could be made for Werdum. HW is slim pickings right now.