Sign in to follow this  
Gabri1985

my first mma class

is next week over in manchester, talked about it for ages now and hopefully i enjoy and can get to a level where i wouldn't feel out of my depth having an mma fight.

is next week over in manchester' date=' talked about it for ages now and hopefully i enjoy and can get to a level where i wouldn't feel out of my depth having an mma fight.[/quote']

Good luck!

When you win post the link.

Awesome! Go in with no expectations and just wanting to learn at first. Be humble, respectful, and dont expect to be good right away. It takes a lot of time and dedication to get good. Repetetion is the key to masterey. Dont forget to have fun

Some tips:

1.dont be crazy, dont go in there trying to prove something, your training, not trying to rip someones face off

2.your there to learn!! ask if you dont know! or if you want to know! you see 2 guys rolling and a guy does a killer sweep? ask him after, hey can you show me that?

3. be clean....BE ****ING CLEAN no one wants to roll with a dude that smells like ****, has bad breath, or has the *****....

4.dont be so hard on yourself....you WILL get better over time, but it WILL take some time....

5. HAVE FUN!!!! your there cuz u want to be!

is next week over in manchester' date=' talked about it for ages now and hopefully i enjoy and can get to a level where i wouldn't feel out of my depth having an mma fight.[/quote']

nice...i'm thinking of starting in a few weeks

Thanks for the tips guys, I did mt for about a year but that was ages ago, defo don't expect to be some stud on the ground expecting to tap a lot, lol. If I really enjoy will go for private lessons aswel.

Pace yourself.

Last week when we were rolling I immediately went for a RNC, blew my wad to get it (against a much larger guy). But I expended so much energy I was essentially a grappling dummy for every rolling partner after that.

Though, perhaps your cardio isn't as dreadful as mine. :P

When starting MMA, do you go full contact at full speed, or do you start out with pads & work your way into it?

I have always been fascinated with MMA but could never bring myself to punch someone in the face without being angry at them - and even then it would be less about MMA and more abut busting them up by any means necessary, lol

When starting MMA' date=' do you go full contact at full speed, or do you start out with pads & work your way into it?

I have always been fascinated with MMA but could never bring myself to punch someone in the face without being angry at them - and even then it would be less about MMA and more abut busting them up by any means necessary, lol[/quote']

You start with pads. Takes a little while before you get into the full contact sparring.

You start with pads. Takes a little while before you get into the full contact sparring.

When you do full contact sparring, is it full speed, or do you still keep it measured? Have you been in any fights yet?

I watched an interview with Faber who said he had a similar problem, and that after getting hit a few times himself he learned to like it. I thought it was nuts - but made sense.

When you do full contact sparring' date=' is it full speed, or do you still keep it measured? Have you been in any fights yet?[/quote']

At my school you they start you off slowly, first you kind of do light back and forths before you move onto the real sparring.

As for full speed vs measured in my personal experience that depends on the individual. I've had guys start off with saying "let's go nice and slow" to which I oblige. Other guys come out trying to tear your head off.

I have not had my first fight yet.

When starting MMA' date=' do you go full contact at full speed, or do you start out with pads & work your way into it?[/b']

I have always been fascinated with MMA but could never bring myself to punch someone in the face without being angry at them - and even then it would be less about MMA and more abut busting them up by any means necessary, lol

Every place i've ever been to you start with pads, bags and drilling and work your way up to full contact and not all places/people spar hard regularly. I don't think it's needed for high level guys as much. They've been thier done that and don't need the experience of gym wars against other high level guys. The steel sharpens steel mentality dulls both.

I have seen a few bums try to take advantage of noobs at a boxing gym to try to get them to be thier punching bag. I usually warned the noob if i caught it unless they were a d-bag tough guy with something to prove.

It won't be pretty...and don't be surprised if you puke. (depending on how hard they push you and you push yourself). Push yourself to get through the first month. Once the sore muscles and mat burn go away it gets fun. (really. not trying to scare you.:D)

More guys drop out in the first month than stay. So what side of the fence you gonna fall on?

Some tips:

1.dont be crazy' date=' dont go in there trying to prove something, your training, not trying to rip someones face off

2.your there to learn!! ask if you dont know! or if you want to know! you see 2 guys rolling and a guy does a killer sweep? ask him after, hey can you show me that?

3. be clean....BE ****ING CLEAN no one wants to roll with a dude that smells like ****, has bad breath, or has the *****....

4.dont be so hard on yourself....you WILL get better over time, but it WILL take some time....

5. HAVE FUN!!!! your there cuz u want to be![/quote']

Also good advice ^

It won't be pretty...and don't be surprised if you puke. (depending on how hard they push you and you push yourself). Push yourself to get through the first month. Once the sore muscles and mat burn go away it gets fun. (really. not trying to scare you.:D)

More guys drop out in the first month than stay. So what side of the fence you gonna fall on?

I have pretty good cardio, can run about 10 mile without stopping normally add in hill sprints and just sprints aswel. Can do the horse stance for about 25min aswel which is nasty lol. More worried about taking a clean one lol.

Some tips:

1.dont be crazy' date=' dont go in there trying to prove something, your training, not trying to rip someones face off[/b']

5. HAVE FUN!!!! your there cuz u want to be!

this... especially the first... going crazy when you're new is a good way to get some of the veteran guys to destroy you...

also, when you roll and have to tap, tap your opponent if you can and not the mat... guys like me who have several years of headphone abuse won't hear it...

I have pretty good cardio' date=' can run about 10 mile without stopping normally add in hill sprints and just sprints aswel. Can do the horse stance for about 25min aswel which is nasty lol. More worried about taking a clean one lol.[/quote']

Ah that shouldn't happen. They will take it easy on you as long as you don't ask for it.

I have pretty good cardio' date=' can run about 10 mile without stopping normally add in hill sprints and just sprints aswel. Can do the horse stance for about 25min aswel which is nasty lol. More worried about taking a clean one lol.[/quote']

running cardio means jack for grappling fyi....

i was training for like 6 months, and im not fit AT ALL, and this guy who was fit and a runner for his school gassed in a minute on the ground with me....it was funny :)

My best advice: DON'T GIVE UP. You're not going to get it right the first time. It takes a lot of practice to get good at one punching technique. Keep at it and don't get discouraged. Put in the work.

this... especially the first... going crazy when you're new is a good way to get some of the veteran guys to destroy you...

also' date=' when you roll and have to tap, tap your opponent if you can and not the mat... guys like me who have several years of headphone abuse won't hear it...[/quote']

Hearing problems already at the age of 13? Yo brah, you might wanna see a dr & turn down the volume.

Well like I said would love to get at a level were I could have an mma fight. My stand up will already be at an ok level (like I said did mt for a year solid) but my ground game will be beyond awful.

Would love to become slick on the ground. One of my mates does wing chun so would love to be able to shoot in properly and take him down lol

Well like I said would love to get at a level were I could have an mma fight. My stand up will already be at an ok level (like I said did mt for a year solid) but my ground game will be beyond awful.

Would love to become slick on the ground. One of my mates does wing chun so would love to be able to shoot in properly and take him down lol

If you did/do MT you should have no problem with Wing Chun.

On the grappling there is sooo much to learn and you never stop learning even if it's one technique you train all your life, you still would not know everything there is to know about it and against different opponents. You have to find your own game though and develop what works for you.

One of the key things with grappling is learning how to always stay relaxed and feel where an opponents weight/pressure is and bait them by resisting or smooth out positioning so they resist more then go with the flow and out position them by using thier own position/momentum against them.

Being proactive with constant small movement/adjustments to what your opponent is doing inch by inch you lead them right into a trap then you close the trap tighter and tighter until the only option left is bad or worse. After a while you will start to pic up on patterns or common responses in different situations and how to deal with them and it's this fore knowledge that will help you leave only bad or worse options a little openings for them to counter.

Idk if your familiar with the concept of kuzushi off-balancing from Judo but it applies so well to jiu-jitsu as well especially with sweeps. Think of your opponent as a four sided box. It you push or pull in a T pattern forward/back/side they bairly budge and thier base is still sound. If you can get them onto a corner diagonally though thier base is in jeopardy and they can be reversed in more than one direction. Thier weight is much more easily manipulated and while they are busy defending thier base openings will arise.

Goodluck:)

My best advice other than learning and having fun is to tap early and often. I've torn ligaments a couple of times holding out when I knew I was caught in something, usually heel hooks.

My best advice other than learning and having fun is to tap early and often. I've torn ligaments a couple of times holding out when I knew I was caught in something' date=' usually heel hooks.[/quote']hahaha i shall not being playing those games, if i am caught in training then you best believe i am tapping.

Some tips:

1.dont be crazy' date=' dont go in there trying to prove something, your training, not trying to rip someones face off

5. HAVE FUN!!!! your there cuz u want to be![/quote']

Just to add....

6) cut your toe nails lol

Its annoying rolling with a guy with sharp / long toe nails.

You really do get cut to shreds lol

Well I went, the guy gave me a call yesterday late on asking if I fancy coming down free of charge so went on. Was two hours all really basic stuff, an hour on feet and then an hour grappling.

Had a good time though, guy said I had good hands for someone with such little experience :).

heel hooks in sparring? rough...

Is that crazy or something? :confused:

hahaha i shall not being playing those games' date=' if i am caught in training then you best believe i am tapping.[/quote']

I have a high tolerance for pain, but a little better than glass chin. :P

The first time I got caught I didn't know any better and wasn't in pain, so I kept fighting it. The guy did what he was supposed to do, though slowly, then we heard a few cracks... I finished up the rest of the hour or so without much of a problem, but something felt funny later that night while out with my GF at the time. I took my shoe off and nearly puked from the look of my foot. :P

Well I went' date=' the guy gave me a call yesterday late on asking if I fancy coming down free of charge so went on. Was two hours all really basic stuff, an hour on feet and then an hour grappling.

Had a good time though, guy said I had good hands for someone with such little experience :).[/quote']

Cool man, keep it up. I hope to get back into it this spring, though I might just wind up taking straight BJJ and nothing else.

Well I went' date=' the guy gave me a call yesterday late on asking if I fancy coming down free of charge so went on. [b']Was two hours all really basic stuff[/b], an hour on feet and then an hour grappling.

Had a good time though, guy said I had good hands for someone with such little experience :).

Don't ever get tired of basics. You can always be better at them and they are your foundation. Even if you think you know basics there is always more to learn. If you drill them an insane amount correctly and focus on the sublties of everything going on and why it works or doesn't and how you can improve on that instead of just mindlessly drilling you'll really get into that body/mind zone and will reach a new level of understanding the techniques with your mind and training your body to improve.

Is that crazy or something? :confused:

heel-hook.jpg

heel hooks like this are really dangerous for the knees and can put your sparring partners out for a long time if you aren't careful with them... I think they are only legal in black belt competitions in the gi as well...

one time I was rolling and I locked one of these in and my instructor gave me **** for it... I had no intention of completing it since I know they can be damaging but still, after that I don't even look for them anymore...

heel-hook.jpg

heel hooks like this are really dangerous for the knees and can put your sparring partners out for a long time if you aren't careful with them... I think they are only legal in black belt competitions in the gi as well...

one time I was rolling and I locked one of these in and my instructor gave me **** for it... I had no intention of completing it since I know they can be damaging but still' date=' after that I don't even look for them anymore...[/quote']

Yeah it's called reaping the knee or leg knot and it's illegal in bjj.

It's even worse if you turn your body more horizontal perpendicular with thier hips bending thier knee postion to almost 90 degrees and having your body at almost 90 degrees to thiers instead of a straight 180 degree line. If he scoots his body more to the left sideways the same way the lines in the mat are showing it's WAY worse and if he turns his left knee a little inward Forget about it.

heel-hook.jpg

one time I was rolling and I locked one of these in and my instructor gave me **** for it... I had no intention of completing it since I know they can be damaging but still' date=' after that I don't even look for them anymore...[/quote']

How else are you supposed to train though? It seems strange to me not to train heel hooks. IMO, the MMA place I trained at was the best martial arts school I ever went to. The guys I trained with trained for competition, sometimes **** happens. The whole time I trained there I was the only person (dummy), to ever get hurt, except for one guy who got his ribs cracked... :P

How else are you supposed to train though? It seems strange to me not to train heel hooks. IMO' date=' the MMA place I trained at was the best martial arts school I ever went to. The guys I trained with trained for competition, sometimes **** happens. The whole time I trained there I was the only person (dummy), to ever get hurt, except for one guy who got his ribs cracked... :P[/quote']

Agreed but you don't want noobs doing them or people with too much pride to tap or people that are overzelous and aren't keenly aware of thier own strength or the flexibility etc. of the people they're rolling with. You have to hold back a little and be real careful with that one if you value your training partners.

One of the main issues is the hold is not so bad at first so people think they can escape but if position is good and tight boy it comes on fast and doesn't take much and SNAP-CRACKLE-POP.

Agreed but you don't want noobs doing them or people with too much pride to tap or people that are overzelous and aren't keenly aware of thier own strength or the flexibility etc. of the people they're rolling with. You have to hold back a little and be real careful with that one if you value your training partners.

One of the main issues is the hold is not so bad at first so people think they can escape but if position is good and tight boy it comes on fast and doesn't take much and SNAP-CRACKLE-POP.

The guy who made my ankle go snap crackle pop was absolutely doing the right thing. He had me for a while and was going very slow with it, the snap crackle pop was 100% my fault. The reason I loved training there so much was how much we all valued each other. It was a real brotherhood type of place, sadly they went belly up. :(

Don't ever get tired of basics. You can always be better at them and they are your foundation. Even if you think you know basics there is always more to learn. If you drill them an insane amount correctly and focus on the sublties of everything going on and why it works or doesn't and how you can improve on that instead of just mindlessly drilling you'll really get into that body/mind zone and will reach a new level of understanding the techniques with your mind and training your body to improve.
i was more worried it was going to be more advanced stuff (advanced to me) so was happy it was basic stuff.