Sign in to follow this  
DL4TRU_STRENGTH

24 (the tv series) appreciation thread

I miss that show - it blended a great deal of thought provoking storylines with practical, not overly sappy drama, as well as plenty of over the top action.

The series finale was hands down among the best I have ever seen and really went along way to sum up the prevailing theme of a day in the life of Jack Bauer, and how the good guy doesnt always win.

Seeing Jack "looking" at Chloe as hes telling her good bye (while shes monitoring him via drone) was pretty overwhelming.

24-1.JPG

I miss that show - it blended a great deal of thought provoking storylines with practical' date=' not overly sappy drama, as well as plenty of over the top action.

The series finale was hands down among the best I have ever seen and really went along way to sum up the prevailing theme of a day in the life of Jack Bauer, and how the good guy doesnt always win.

Seeing Jack "looking" at Chloe as hes telling her good bye (while shes monitoring him via drone) was pretty overwhelming.

[img']http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_O_BWyep8Thg/S_xABOr_G5I/AAAAAAAADG0/GS69AucYJLQ/s1600/24-1.JPG[/img]

Seasons 1 and 2 were ground breaking, amazing, action packed, well written, cliff hangers, and had awesome twists. 3 and 4 were almost as good but the series was becoming predictable. The other seasons jumped the shark, became predictable and Bower became annoying to me. When the last season happened I was just watching because I was committed to the series. It should of went off the air after season 4 or 5.

24 was the first TV show that shocked and really entertained me. I look at it as my first love into the world of really well written television.

HEADS UP: incase you don't know, most of the writers from 24 are now working on the TV show 'Homeland' which has become my favorite show. It reminds me of the early days of 24 when the twists shocked my emotions. Clair Danes is amazing and so is Damian Lewis. If you liked 24 you should like 'Homeland'. It's all about trying to stop terrorists. The only problem that I see is that 24 picked up fans late in the series and some of those fans were only in it for the action of the show and they may be trying out Homeland. If thats the case, they may be dispointed. Although there's action on Homeland it's more about the genius writing and character development (like in the early days of 24). You bond with these people and then a twist may take them away from us. The show isn't scared to go anywhere! But by all accounts, it's a more adult version of 24.

Season 4 was my favorite.

I'd say from 6 on out are the best' date=' but 1 was really good.

I dont know that I really have favorite seasons so much as aspects of each one that were really good.

Seasons 1 and 2 were ground breaking, amazing, action packed, well written, cliff hangers, and had awesome twists 3 and 4 were almost as good but the series was becoming predictable. The other season jumped the shark, became predictable and Bower became annoying to me. When the last season happened I was just watching because I was committed to the series. It should of went off the air after season 4 or 5.

24 was the first TV show that shocked and really entertained me. I look at it as my first love into the world of really well written television.

HEADS UP: incase you don't know most of the writers from 24 are now working on the TV show 'Homeland' which has become my favorite show. It reminds me of the early days of 24 when the twists shocked my emotions. Clair Danes is amazing and so is Damian Lewis. If you liked 24 you should like 'Homeland'. It's all about trying to stop terrorists. The only problem that I see with later fans of 24 is 24 picked up fans late in the series and some of those fans were only in it for the action of the show. If thats the case, you may be dispointed. Although there's action on Homeland it's more about the genius writing and character development (like in the early days of 24). You bond with these people and then a twist may take them away from us. The show isn't scared to go anywhere! But by all accounts, it's a more adult version of 24.

Homeland is alright, but sorta cheesy in comparison, IMO. TBH - the CIA operatives in homeland, with the major exception of Mandy Patinkin's character, are just not believable in any sense.

I never really found 24 so much as predictable as perhaps maybe a bit "weird" at times? All in all, its great having a series in which there are more twists ion one episode than most other shows have in an entire season. 24 is truly the first series in which the assumption or expectation that a known good guy can quickly become the bad guy, or when someone beloved & important might just all of a sudden get killed, served as such a brilliant "mind ****".

On a side note, I think a big reason 24 gained such enormous success is because it really came to prominence at the time when all manner of espionage & military/political crisis were sort of the topic de jour as a result of political climate and the war on terror mentality.

I'd say from 6 on out are the best' date=' but 1 was really good.

I dont know that I really have favorite seasons so much as aspects of each one that were really good.

Homeland is alright, but sorta cheesy in comparison, IMO. TBH - the CIA operatives in homeland, with the major exception of Mandy Patinkin's character, are just not believable in any sense.

I never really found 24 so much as predictable as perhaps maybe a bit "weird" at times? All in all, its great having a series in which there are more twists ion one episode than most other shows have in an entire season. 24 is truly the first series in which the assumption or expectation that a known good guy can quickly become the bad guy, or when someone beloved & important might just all of a sudden get killed, served as such a brilliant "mind ****".[/quote']

We could defenitly battle and argue on Homeland because I think the acting by all the main characters is better than any of the actors on 24 and the story line is very believable but I will agree that when 24 first came out it raised the bar. It ended the days of writers leading us to think a main character is dead and then we find out they didn't really die. It forced other shows to get better.

The Walking Dead is doing a great job making me believe in the unbelievable these days too.

On a side note' date=' I think a big reason 24 gained such enormous success is because it really came to prominence at the time when all manner of espionage & military/political crisis were sort of the topic de jour as a result of political climate and the war on terror mentality.[/quote']

No doubt! And Jack Bauer was the first really broken character we related to and that had to make decisions not based not based on morals but logic.

He would kill an innocent person he was close with (a main character) to save a group of strangers.

The decisions he had to make we're decisions that really made us think. TV didn't do that prior to 24.

We could defenitly battle and argue on Homeland because I think the acting by all the main characters is better than any of the actors on 24 and the story line is very believable but I will agree that when 24 first came out it raised the bar. It ended the days of writers leading us to think a main character is dead and then we find out they didn't really die. It forced other shows to get better.

The Walking Dead is doing a great job making me believe in the unbelievable these days too.

Wasnt really saying the acting sucks' date=' so much as I feel their portrayal as professional & serious agents was very questionable, at least to me. But hey, whatever floats your boat :)

No doubt! And Jack Bauer was the first really broken character we related to and that had to make decisions not based not based on morals but logic.

He would kill an innocent person he was close with (a main character) to save a group of strangers.

The decisions he had to make we're decisions that really made us think. TV didn't do that prior to 24.

Yes! It was clear that Surnow was def using alot of the current real0life situations and concerns and putting them front & center to be dealt with - along with lingering hypothetical that weve always wondered about. They would do a great job of taking a premise and "arguing it" from multiple angles either in a single scene or for the duration of an episode or series.

I think all in all, some people walked away accepting that life aint pretty and you dont always get the luxury to endlessly debate which choice to make and thus its alot easier to sit on a high horse and espouse virtue without ever being in the predicament of having to endure the consequences.

First got hooked during the airing of Season 4. Since then, considered it one of my favorite shows.

Personal favorites were seasons 4 and 6. 7 wasn't bad, though I couldn't forgive it for making Tony seem like the bad guy at first.