Sign in to follow this  
Sisti

Would jon jones be a gigantic star right now if he was white?

Yes, I know I'm possibly opening up a can of worms, but I do think the question needs to be asked.

Jon Jones is young, good-looking, flawed (yes we've heard 500 times he got a dui) but relatively a good person, dynamic, and extremely accomplished. If he was white, do you think he'd be a huge fan favorite right now?

I have a feeling the huge accolades and excitement he brings to the cage would be talked about by more people if he was white. Maybe I'm wrong, but I have a strong hunch that I'm right about this.

And here comes the generic responses...he's with underaged girls, he got a dui, he's oversized, blah blah blah :D

Just answer the question at hand. Do you think fan response would be different if jones was white?

Think of these white dooshbag fighters:

Sonnen

Bisping

Head

-now think DUI and underrage girls to their names- that's what I think of a white Jones...

Think of these white dooshbag fighters:

Sonnen

Bisping

Head

-now think DUI and underrage girls to their names- that's what I think of a white Jones...

sonnen talks so much bigger about himself and so much more trash on other people than jones, oh and sonnen has about 11 more losses on his record, yet people keep calling jones the one who's not humble?

p.s. i called it...dui/underage girls comments...didn't take long

by the way, i am white, not that it should matter. but i'm genuinely wondering if him being black has anything to do with his accomplishments always trying to be diminished in some way

response would be the same. People like or dislike jones because of he fights , not because of his skin colour.

Race dont really matter i think. Maybe country , I dont see people supporting an english ,french or asian fighter as much.

response would be the same. People like or dislike jones because of he fights ' date=' not because of his skin colour.

Race dont really matter i think. Maybe country , I dont see people supporting an english ,french or asian fighter as much.[/quote']

in MMA often times race does not matter. country of orgin matters way too much sometimes...it's annoying to watch Brazilian/UK cards where every single foreigner gets booed because they were born in a different country.

the one main thing i noticed when watching mma fights is how different races root for different guys. when i watch fights with a white crowd, the crowd has often rooted for the white guy. when i watch them with a hispanic/black crowd many times, people like jon jones and rashad are cheered on so much more

there is an element of cheering for people based on race, country of orgin, looks, fighting style, etc. if anyone says jones being white wouldn't effect his popularity, they are not being 100% truthful

No.

White Americans hate themselves and worship anything non-white. If Jones was white' date=' the self loathing sissies in your country would like him even less.[/quote']

stereotype much?

Just seems odd to me that the prevailing story this year on Jones is "he's not humble enough" when what he's accomplished at a such an extremely young age is one of the most amazing sports stories i've ever seen

if anyone says jones being white wouldn't effect his popularity' date=' they are not being 100% truthful[/quote']

You're right. Being white would affect his popularity, by making him less popular.

stereotype much?

Do i?

Just seems odd to me that the prevailing story this year on Jones is "he's not humble enough" when what he's accomplished at a such an extremely young age is one of the most amazing sports stories i've ever seen

Perhaps if he didn't have such a ****** personality, people would appreciate what he's done a bit more.

Oh, that there is the real reason why Jones doesn't get the respect you think he deserves. It's because he's a prick.

Perhaps if he didn't have such a ****** personality' date=' people would appreciate what he's done a bit more.[/quote']

Again, why is this the prevailing story and comment that comes out? The story whenever a sports hero accomplishes this much is 99% focuses on what goes on INSIDE the sport itself. Personal lives are sometimes of interest for sports stars, but even then, it's not as important as the athlete themself. Didn't Michael Jordan cheat on his wife? How often is the story of Jordan focused on what happened in his personal life?

I don't know, just very annoying and lame how people leave the same generic comments over and over about the big 4 insults on jon jones

Do you guys want to date the guy or watch him fight?

Again' date=' why is this the prevailing story and comment that comes out? The story whenever a sports hero accomplishes this much is 99% focuses on what goes on INSIDE the sport itself. Personal lives are sometimes of interest for sports stars, but even then, it's not as important as the athlete themself. Didn't Michael Jordan cheat on his wife? How often is the story of Jordan focused on what happened in his personal life?[/quote']

I wouldn't know. MMA is the only sport i follow.

Well as sad as it may sound racism exists so I guess it can have an influence. But that hasn't stopped other black athletes to become worldwide stars already. And many of them.. I think if he had that type of charisma it would work for him too. Maybe eventually he'll get there. And only people from Texas and Arizona will keep hating on him.

I don't think race is an issue.

if anyone says jones being white wouldn't effect his popularity' date=' they are not being 100% truthful[/quote']

So, because we don't agree with your opinion we aren't being 100% honest? :rolleyes:

Too bad Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Muhammad Ali, Kobe Bryant, Pele... and many, many, many others aren't white, they'd be gigantic stars instead of lingering in obscurity...

I don't think race is an issue.

So' date=' because we don't agree with your [i']opinion[/i] we aren't being 100% honest? :rolleyes:

Too bad Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Muhammad Ali, Kobe Bryant, Pele... and many, many, many others aren't white, they'd be gigantic stars instead of lingering in obscurity...

LOLOLOLOL. nice.

Jon Jones can only be as big of a star as the sport of MMA will allow him to be.

Look at Anderson Silva in Brazil. MMA is much larger in Brazil than in USA, therefore Silva is probably the biggest sports star there atm.

Jones is limited by the sports popularity in the USA, and limited by the amount of DUIs he gets and underaged white girls he ****s

Too bad Michael Jordan' date=' Tiger Woods, Muhammad Ali, Kobe Bryant, Pele... and many, many, many others aren't white, they'd be gigantic stars instead of lingering in obscurity...[/quote']

Black people have traditionally been extremely skilled in the last 50 years in sports. There's no denying their skill because they are winning the most championships, majors, etc.

You don't think that a lot of White Americans have secretly been hoping for a huge white star. What you said about jordan/woods/etc. is part of the reason jones gets flack for being so good. MMA seemed like the first sport in a while where the best people were white, and Jones being so good at such a young age is making people feel that the best athlete is again not white

There may be some truth in this...just because it's not true in yourself, doesn't mean this doesn't occur to some people

Black people have traditionally been extremely skilled in the last 50 years in sports. There's no denying their skill because they are winning the most championships' date=' majors, etc.

You don't think that a lot of White Americans have secretly been hoping for a huge white star. What you said about jordan/woods/etc. is part of the reason jones gets flack for being so good. MMA seemed like the first sport in a while where the best people were white, and Jones being so good at such a young age is making people feel that the best athlete is again not white

There may be some truth in this...just because it's not true in yourself, doesn't mean this doesn't occur to some people[/quote']

I guess you surround yourself with racists, I don't. Not one single person I know gives a **** about anybody's skin color. Not one.

So, if MJ was white, he'd be supergigantic?

Black people have traditionally been extremely skilled in the last 50 years in sports. There's no denying their skill because they are winning the most championships' date=' majors, etc.

There may be some truth in this...just because it's not true in yourself, doesn't mean this doesn't occur to some people[/quote']

Running & basketball = all sports

Jon Jones is clearly, undeniably, pretentious. And that is a trait people can not stand. He is a walking talking bag of contradictions, and is badly in need of a good PR agent.

I like the guys fighting style, and I try to like his personality, but he is hard to like, plain and simple.

But really, isnt he as big of a star as he should be right now? A relative unknown just over a year ago, fresh on the scene, in a sport that is just starting to make it in the big leagues.

I guess you surround yourself with racists' date=' I don't. Not one single person I know gives a **** about anybody's skin color. Not one.

So, if MJ was white, he'd be supergigantic?[/quote']

i surround myself with racists? why the hate thrown towards me...it's just a question

MJ was given his due because of just how much he accomplished. but guys like larry bird and kevin mchale got a disproportionate amount of hype based on how good their numbers actually were.

Name one white athlete in the last 10 years that accomplished as much as Jones at that age and got this much flack?

i surround myself with racists? why the hate thrown towards me...it's just a question

MJ was given his due because of just how much he accomplished. but guys like larry bird and kevin mchale got a disproportionate amount of hype based on how good their numbers actually were.

Name one white athlete in the last 10 years that accomplished as much as Jones at that age and got this much flack?

You said it yourself, cheers based on the color of people your with... I don't hate you, you are fluffing your ego up too much if you believe that.

I don't follow other sports, so point out some dominant, famous white dudes at the top of their sport that got a DUI and suffer from incredibly shallow personalities... then we can compare.

I was a big fan on JJ, then his mouth started going... then he got a DUI... it's pretty simple why I'm not a fan of his.

People still love Mike Tyson and the guy is a convicted ****ing rapist... Find me a white athlete as famous as MT that raped somebody....

You said it yourself' date=' cheers based on the color of people your with... I don't hate you, you are fluffing your ego up too much if you believe that.

I don't follow other sports, so point out some dominant, famous white dudes at the top of their sport that got a DUI and suffer from incredibly shallow personalities... then we can compare.

I was a big fan on JJ, then his mouth started going... then he got a DUI... it's pretty simple why I'm not a fan of his.

People still love Mike Tyson and the guy is a convicted ****ing rapist... Find me a white athlete as famous as MT that raped somebody....[/quote']

i don't have an ego, i'm just some dude you know from an internet forum and i am not claiming to be anything more than that. you could run into me right now and you wouldn't even know who i was. i'm fully aware of these boards being just for entertainment and i don't take it any more serious than that. fun debate, entertainment, and fight talk is why we're here

back to the subject, JJ has been criticized for the SAME thing so many times. i said in my original post that so many people were gonna comment on the same things we heard over and over, and sure enough it's the same ol same ol (bad personality, dui, blah blah blah)

this just confirms my point to an extent, the main thing people talk about with jones is "he's not humble and he got a dui." to me, the way crazier and more interesting story is that he's extremely young and never really been beaten while taking out more legends than any fighter in history. that to me is amazing...a 25 year old kid getting ****y after destroying guys like shogun doesn't really shock me

also, when ur criticized 24/7 by people, why wouldn't you lash out to defend yourself sometimes? just put yourself in his shoes for a second, you are being hated and insulted every single day of your life, of course you may react negatively. i just don't get why people feel the need to just team up and bully and insult someone just because their personality doesn't perfectly fit what they want them to be. maybe it's not entirely due to his race and due to just a bully mentality that the world still thinks is acceptable. i don't know...i can't read other peoples minds so i can't say for sure if race is a reason why his accomplishments are overshadowed by his dui and dull personality

Just imagine if Obama was white' date=' he might have won the last election![/quote']

so being white, Christian, married, and male doesn't help one get president?

how many Presidents don't fit that criteria again?

i don't have an ego' date=' i'm just some dude you know from an internet forum and i am not claiming to be anything more than that. you could run into me right now and you wouldn't even know who i was. i'm fully aware of these boards being just for entertainment and i don't take it any more serious than that. fun debate, entertainment, and fight talk is why we're here

back to the subject, JJ has been criticized for the SAME thing so many times. i said in my original post that so many people were gonna comment on the same things we heard over and over, and sure enough it's the same ol same ol (bad personality, dui, blah blah blah)

this just confirms my point to an extent, the main thing people talk about with jones is "he's not humble and he got a dui." to me, the way crazier and more interesting story is that he's extremely young and never really been beaten while taking out more legends than any fighter in history. that to me is amazing...a 25 year old kid getting ****y after destroying guys like shogun doesn't really shock me

also, when ur criticized 24/7 by people, why wouldn't you lash out to defend yourself sometimes? just put yourself in his shoes for a second, you are being hated and insulted every single day of your life, of course you may react negatively. i just don't get why people feel the need to just team up and bully and insult someone just because their personality doesn't perfectly fit what they want them to be. maybe it's not entirely due to his race and due to just a bully mentality that the world still thinks is acceptable. i don't know...i can't read other peoples minds so i can't say for sure if race is a reason why his accomplishments are overshadowed by his dui and dull personality[/quote']

That's right, you are just some dude on a forum... hence my comment on hate as I don't hate anybody in real life...

It's disingenuous for you to ask people to ignore what they don't like about the guy simply because you are sick of hearing about it.

You seem to me to be basing this opinion on what a bunch of juvenile twats (myself included sometimes), say (troll), on an interdweeb forum... It really does seem like you are trying as hard as you can to force this to be a racist issue instead of people not liking a **** for being a ****.

I'm still waiting for your shining white examples...

so being white' date=' Christian, married, and male doesn't help one get president?[/quote']

It didn't work the last two times.

how many Presidents don't fit that criteria again?

How many times did such a candidate stand for election? And what % of the time did said candidate win?

so being white' date=' Christian, married, and male doesn't help one get president?

how many Presidents don't fit that criteria again?[/quote']

For all the hate on Obama, the dude still got re-elected. Face it man, America is changing... If people will accept a black president, they'll accept a black MMA fighter.

It didn't work the last two times.

How many times did such a candidate stand for election? And what % of the time did said candidate win?

Oh SNAP!!!!

LOL this thread is silly being white would not effect Jone's popularity by any significant amount.

And also I am being 100% truthful.

This is a troll thread most likely, but I suppose I should not state the obvious. :D

I've not paid much attention to this can. Is he notorious for trolling?

Everybody posts and everybody trolls sometimes . . .

It is the circle of forum life . . .

;)

Some of the most beloved stars of the past, regardless of race, might not be as revered with the kind of microscope that exists today. Social media, accessibility to the fans and the sheer amount of exposure make today's athletes much more scrutinized.

That said, I personally can't stand Jones for many reasons. Because he destroyed my favorite LHW's, because he can't seem to decide where he stands on taking fights, I hate the style of fighting he employs, his complete lack of respect for his own statements, his general lack of intelligence....

It has nothing to do with race.

he's not even the best athlete in his family, Jon Jones wouldn't be in MMA if he was as talented as his brothers, MMA is a second class sport still, thats why he isn't a gigantic star

he's not even the best athlete in his family' date=' Jon Jones wouldn't be in MMA if he was as talented as his brothers, MMA is a second class sport still, thats why he isn't a gigantic star[/quote']

And Arthur wouldn't be in the NFL if he was as talented as the Klitschko's

And Arthur wouldn't be in the NFL if he was as talented as the Klitschko's

nah, the NFL is much bigger than boxing right now

he's not even the best athlete in his family' date=' Jon Jones wouldn't be in MMA if he was as talented as his brothers, MMA is a second class sport still, thats why he isn't a gigantic star[/quote']

If you're talented in MMA, then obviously you become good at MMA. The skills required for football and MMA are almost totally separate, so this argument makes absolutely no sense. It's like saying I wouldn't be a professional pie eater if I was talented enough to professionally stack cups.

No.

White Americans hate themselves and worship anything non-white. If Jones was white' date=' the self loathing sissies in your country would like him even less.[/quote']

You're absolutely right. White liberals in this country love everyone and everything thing that isn't a white man.

That's right' date=' you are just some dude on a forum... hence my comment on hate as I don't hate anybody in real life...

It's disingenuous for you to ask people to ignore what they don't like about the guy simply because you are sick of hearing about it.

You seem to me to be basing this opinion on what a bunch of juvenile twats (myself included sometimes), say (troll), on an interdweeb forum... It really does seem like you are trying as hard as you can to force this to be a racist issue instead of people not liking a **** for being a ****.

I'm still waiting for your shining white examples...[/quote']

this.

people dont like him cuz hes a dink. i dont think its any more complicated than that.

he could win 20 fights in a row and people still wont like him, cuz he opens his mouth and nothing but dink comes out

he could be white, brown, jewish, neanderthal, it wouldnt matter

pat barry could lose 20 fights in a row, and he could have one black arm, brown face and a purple foot and everyone would still love him. because hes awesome

If you're talented in MMA' date=' then obviously you become good at MMA. The skills required for football and MMA are almost totally separate, so this argument makes absolutely no sense. It's like saying I wouldn't be a professional pie eater if I was talented enough to professionally stack cups.[/quote']

No, it makes a lot of sense. Look at Lesnar and Mitrione who didn't make it in the NFL, but have made it into the UFC, one winning a title, and the other guy mid tier, but both successful. Other examples are Marcus Jones, Bob Sapp, Herschel Walker, Wes Shivers, Brendan Schaub.

How many UFC fighters could make it in the NFL? Very few. How many NFL players could make it in the UFC? Lots

The athletes will go where the money is, and until such a time exists where a UFC fighter can earn a comparable wage, the better athletes will go to other sports.