Sign in to follow this  
rain_wizard

Will Cigano ever be the same?

Just a thought, how do you guys see his career going from here?

When Cain lost in a round last year I said he is still the best heavyweight in the world and will have his belt back when he is healthy again. I do not wish to blow my own trumpet but that has come true, so what of Junior?

Yes he did not get finished like Cain did but it was almost more brutal in a way as it was a prolonged beating. It was the kind of beating that shortens careers and I find it hard to see Junior coming back as the great fighter we all respect him as.

Best wishes to Junior and congratulations to Cain.

I hope so. I'd match him up with big country next. Old ground but the only guy to give junior trouble other than cain in the UFC.

I don't think Roy gave him ay trouble at all, just proved he was a tough S.O.B. Cro Cop probably gave him the best fight besides Cain

I honestly think it will do him good...

These fights were HWs doing what the big boys do, fights dictated by a single punch... was Cains night tonight.

Jds should take alot of comfort that he took all the top of the pile could throw at him and wasnt finnished, he has had a career this far where he wasnt often in danger, he has been there now and and survived, not well but he did.

He wont be the same, he will go back to basics and reinvent himself. He need to work 75-80% wrestling IMHO.

I think firstly people need to not be too fickle with what happened last night.

When Cain lost the first fight, people wrote him off, questioned his chin etc etc. Last night should hopefully remind people that all fighters have 'off' nights, bad gameplans/strategies etc etc.

Myself, I think what happened last night was that as much as JDS is a nice and humble guy, he bought into his own hype too much and believed whole-heartedly that his boxing game would be too much for Cain again.

You watch him throughout the fight, he kept sticking to his boxing stance, boxing offensive/defence and so forth. He never adjusted to Cain's relentless grappling game and honestly looked like he didnt train enough on TD defence or grappling - which surprises me!

His next fight is really tough to call, as like has been said he has faced a lot of the roster already and those that are available dont really make much sense for him. I dont see the point in the Nelson fight, whom lost in the past 18 months lost to Mir and Werdum who both lost convincingly to JDS in the past.

Just a thought' date=' how do you guys see his career going from here?

When Cain lost in a round last year I said he is still the best heavyweight in the world and will have his belt back when he is healthy again. I do not wish to blow my own trumpet but that has come true, so what of Junior?

Yes he did not get finished like Cain did but it was almost more brutal in a way as it was a prolonged beating. It was the kind of beating that shortens careers and I find it hard to see Junior coming back as the great fighter we all respect him as.

Best wishes to Junior and congratulations to Cain.[/quote']

Mark Hunt vs JDS.

I think JDS takedown defense was really good for the first 2.5 minutes. Then he got absolutely rocked and Velasquez did a lot of follow up damage. It was only after that, that Cain could take him down at will.

Kudos to Cain.

Can't wait for the trilogy.

First....I just have to say........Hello SLACK JAWS!!! LMAO!!! Go ahead and keep posting that pathetic pic of JDS knocking out Cain....LUCKY punch!

Second....JDS is still a monster, the belt WILL change hands between Overeem, JDS and Cain several times. JDS will get one fight and then a rematch.

He wont be the same' date=' he will go back to basics and reinvent himself. He need to work 75-80% wrestling IMHO.[/quote']

I would say more cardio then wrestling, yea Cain out wrestled him but he only did it after JDS gassed out hardcore even then in the 4th and the fith JDS was defending alot of TD

I would say more cardio then wrestling' date=' yea Cain out wrestled him but he only did it after JDS gassed out hardcore even then in the 4th and the fith JDS was defending alot of TD[/quote']

I think the huge shot he took with Cains relentless follow up, had a lot to do with his Apparent cardio issue.

I think he will be back better than ever. In a way it's got that he got wrecked by Cain, it started to look like he was getting a little overconfident. Talking about how he will shut up Overeem, he is gonna knock him out, how Cain will maybe change weight class 'cause if you lose twice to the same champ you are pretty much done in terms of title contention, I mean he said he wasn't but it was obvious that he WAS looking past Velasquez. Lesnar did it too, with his burrito and corona jokes etc... it's a huge mistake and he paid for it.

He will come back strong imo just like Cain did, there are plenty of mistakes he made last night he can work on for the 3rd fight the loss will hopefully motivate him to work on his weaker areas and commit more at times instead of backing off.

I would say more cardio then wrestling' date=' yea Cain out wrestled him but he only did it after JDS gassed out hardcore even then in the 4th and the fith JDS was defending alot of TD[/quote']

Pure wrestling training will make him a more dangerous fighter as he could control Cain and increase his cardio

He wont be the same' date=' he will go back to basics and reinvent himself. He need to work 75-80% wrestling IMHO.[/quote']

You really think? Incase you don't remember, he defended all of Cains TD attempts at the beginning of the fight easily, he just needs to get cardio the level of Cain

You really think? Incase you don't remember' date=' he defended all of Cains TD attempts at the beginning of the fight easily, he just needs to get cardio the level of Cain[/quote']

better wrestling = better control of the fight and better cardio, so YES i think

JDS lost that fight cause he forgot to bring a poor village child with him for support. Next time I don't see that happening again. I bet he brings a whole village school with him next fight.

better wrestling = better control of the fight and better cardio' date=' so YES i think[/quote']

I think he just needs better cardio when it comes to wrestling, his TDD was good as long as his cardio lasted. I think his TDD is still really good, he just can't handle that kind of grappling pace

He needs to focus more on punishing cain for the takedown attempts next time, instead of just defending them away. cain kept coming back shooting for td's cause junior wasn't making him pay for them, something abel trujilo did extremely well with in his recent ufc debut.

I think he just needs better cardio when it comes to wrestling' date=' his TDD was good as long as his cardio lasted. I think his TDD is still really good, he just can't handle that kind of grappling pace[/quote']

Wrestling will make his fight/fighter control better and raise his cardio. It would make him a much better fighter. I dont believe he does enough work on his wrestling to be able to beat Cain on that form last night.

His TDD is average and Cains takedowns are never disguised which is why he was able to avoid any to start with. Cain used control to gas JDS enough to wrestle him, and that is what wrestling will give you

Wrestling will make his fight/fighter control better and raise his cardio. It would make him a much better fighter. I dont believe he does enough work on his wrestling to be able to beat Cain on that form last night.

His TDD is average and Cains takedowns are never disguised which is why he was able to avoid any to start with. Cain used control to gas JDS enough to wrestle him' date=' and that is what wrestling will give you[/quote']

His takedown defense is way above average before last night how many times had you seen someone take JDS down and keep him there for longer than a couple of seconds? Think about what you say man lol I agree though Dos Santos needs to get grappling cardio theres not much point in him drilling all wrestling because no matter if he does that he's not going to be able to outwrestle Cain by the time they fight next is he? JDS just needs better cardio and to be agressive in the early rounds instead of getting backed up.

His takedown defense is way above average before last night how many times had you seen someone take JDS down and keep him there for longer than a couple of seconds? Think about what you say man lol I agree though Dos Santos needs to get grappling cardio theres not much point in him drilling all wrestling because no matter if he does that he's not going to be able to outwrestle Cain by the time they fight next is he? JDS just needs better cardio and to be agressive in the early rounds instead of getting backed up.

His TDD looks good against average wrestlers or fighters that dont use wrestling enough period. against a good wrestler, Cain, he got owned.

wrestling will help with overall control of a fight and he could out grapple Cain if he learned how to use effective mma wrestling. it will also help improve his ability to mix the standup which did look aweful last night because Cain owned him in every department.

I love JDS and I hate wrestling, but this is the bggest problem JDS faces right now. the 2 best guys out there are Cain and Cormier, both will out work, out grapple, out wrestle and both out box him if he ever turns up with that game plan again.

His TDD is average and Cains takedowns are never disguised which is why he was able to avoid any to start with. Cain used control to gas JDS enough to wrestle him' date=' and that is what wrestling will give you[/quote']

he needs grappling cardio not wrestling

Its not a question of if he will be the same. I think everybody had him extremely over rated. Don't get me wrong, he is an awesome fighter and belongs in the top five but everybody on this site talked like he was God. "He would destroy everyone and stay champ for years...KO Cain quicker this time and Overeem easily ect ect."

Unfortunately he let his own hype get to his head almost as much as his fanboys. Started talking about breaking records and knocking out Klitchko in a boxing match ect... Give him Werdum I say. Another quick flash KO that was well deserved but not nescesarily a good representation of what would likely happen if they were to fight again.

JDS has a hard road back to that title. Thats all I know. I don't see him getting past Cain a second time or Overeem. He will now be the upper teir gatekeeper.

Remember, Junior said he was struggling to find wrestlers to train with in Brazil. His only wrestling coach/training partner got injured very early on and I don't even know if he worked on his wrestling during this training camp, at all.

He needs to buddy up with an American camp, maybe even bite his tongue and seek tutelage under the likes of Team Quest or the Blackzilians, lol.

He's still a bundle of potential and the fact that he got as good as he has without any extensive wrestling-oriented training is a testament to his talent and ability.

Remember' date=' Junior said he was struggling to find wrestlers to train with in Brazil. His only wrestling coach/training partner got injured very early on and I don't even know if he worked on his wrestling during this training camp, at all.

He needs to buddy up with an American camp, maybe even bite his tongue and seek tutelage under the likes of Team Quest or the Blackzilians, lol.[/quote']

If they wont come to you then you have to go to them, he needs to work on it somewhere soon