Sign in to follow this  
thesoulpower

GSP gets home field advantage every fight?

How is this fair? The last 4 of his fights are in Canada. That's ****** up if you ask me. Home field def makes a difference. My proof is look at every sports team their home home record is almost always better! I personally think it's an unfair advantage to have 4 fights in a row on your home turf. Anyone agree with this?

A cage is a cage. I don't think it makes a bit of difference. George gets tons of cheers in vegas too.

Every team gets cheers everywhere they go. There's a difference between the audience being a little loud for someone and the ground literally shaking from noise. Matt Serra said it was crazy loud when he fought GSP in Canada.

What is the difference between when Americans fight the majority of their fights in the US? Arn't the rest of the world at a massive disadvantage to US fighters most of the time? Look at the majority of the top American boxers for example.. They rarely, if ever leave here. Cain Velasquez last 3 fights have been against non Americans. JDS twice and Big foot. Last three fights on home soil... So the problem is that GSP has home advantage here really isn't it...

What is the difference between when Americans fight the majority of their fights in the US? Arn't the rest of the world at a massive disadvantage to US fighters most of the time? Look at the majority of the top American boxers for example.. They rarely, if ever leave here. Cain Velasquez last 3 fights have been against non Americans. JDS twice and Big foot. Last three fights on home soil... So the problem is that GSP has home advantage here really isn't it...

You bring up a good point. There are a lot fewer Canadian fighters that are popular tho. There are multiple big time American fighters. It's like comparing Pacquaio fighting in the Philippines to Mayweather in the states. Manny would get such a larger audience.

GSP fighting in Canada even though it's a whole country is more of a hometown advantage. It would be like Nick Diaz fighting in Stockton 4 times in a row or JBJ fighting in New York 4 times in a row.

Also 3 of his last 4 fights were in the city he literally trains in!! He doesn't even have to fly there! That's huge!! He gets to continue training while other fighters have to stop their training to travel all the way up there then deal with jet lag.

Anyways 3 fights in the same city out of your last 4 even if it isn't home advantage is a tad ridiculous. This isn't Vegas which is known as the fight capitol of the world. This is Montreal in ****ing Canada we are talking about. If anything it's unfair to American fans that want to see him fight that can't afford a fight card and to fly to Canada.

You bring up a good point. There are a lot fewer Canadian fighters that are popular tho. There are multiple big time American fighters. It's like comparing Pacquaio fighting in the Philippines to Mayweather in the states. Manny would get such a larger audience.

GSP fighting in Canada even though it's a whole country is more of a hometown advantage. It would be like Nick Diaz fighting in Stockton 4 times in a row or JBJ fighting in New York 4 times in a row.

Also 3 of his last 4 fights were in the city he literally trains in!! He doesn't even have to fly there! That's huge!! He gets to continue training while other fighters have to stop their training to travel all the way up there then deal with jet lag.

Anyways 3 fights in the same city out of your last 4 even if it isn't home advantage is a tad ridiculous. This isn't Vegas which is known as the fight capitol of the world. This is Montreal in ****ing Canada we are talking about. If anything it's unfair to American fans that want to see him fight that can't afford a fight card and to fly to Canada.

In regards to your comment on the jet lag and stopping the training it really is not an issue. They stop "training" a week from fight night. They do light training and pad work to stay sharp but are conserving energy anyways... cutting weight. And they fly out 3 days before most the time.

I agree with your last paragraph but its so they can keep the stadium full/money/keeping fans happy. They try to do the same for other fighters too if you haven't noticed? It's just that next to Vegas, Montreal is the second or third most common city to hold UFC events. San Jose being up there too.

Meh

Most fights are in Vegas

Not a lot of fighters are from/grew up in Vegas

So, home field, not home field, deal with it

GSP SUCKS thats why they make him fight at home.

either that or its cause gsp is afraid of flying. little ****.

There is also the flip side to this, there is the added pressure of having friends, family watching and feeling you have to preform, lots of people find it harder fight in there home town.

I've always thought this was unfair. I don't want to see Silva fight in Brazil every single time, I can't stand the fans, although comparing the Canadian fans to Brazilian fans is really offensive to Canadians. We don't boo someone just because they're fighting a Canadian.

Points have been made on both sides about travelling, but it has to have some hardships for sure. There's got to be a big difference from sleeping in your own bed, with your wife, waking up and seeing your family support you, then trying to get a good nights sleep in a hotel bed with your team.

GSP should fight in Vegas for his next 2-3 fights. Only exception is the Dallas Cowboy's stadium if the Silva fight is arranged.

I watched an interview that GSP done and he said that he does not get an advantage from fighting in Canada if anything it hinders him, He claims it makes him feel more pressure and nervous! I dont doubt GSP but I think it depends on the fighter because I know Aldo, Big Nog, Anderson , Belfort etc get a buzz out of fighting in Brazil and you only need to look at the performances there whilst in the UFC

I watched an interview that GSP done and he said that he does not get an advantage from fighting in Canada if anything it hinders him, He claims it makes him feel more pressure and nervous! I dont doubt GSP but I think it depends on the fighter because I know Aldo, Big Nog, Anderson , Belfort etc get a buzz out of fighting in Brazil and you only need to look at the performances there whilst in the UFC

lol that is total BS straight out of Georges azz

lol that is total BS straight out of Georges azz

I thought that at the time because he was talking about where he would like to fight Silva