Sign in to follow this  
BlackBaron

It's official. 185 is 100% thinnest / talentless division in all of MMA.

Hey guys, Beans here with another edition of the BeansSide of the things.

So after watching the fights tonight between two top 5 185 pound fighters in the UFC it's been declared official, 185 is the most talentless, depth non-existent division in the UFC. It's incredibly upsetting to me personally for I used to love this division, watching Franklin in his prime, to watching Silva in his early days, but compared to years ago, in which as time goes on a division should be growing in talent, it's reversed.

I'd like to list the top 10 fighters in this division, and just looking at the names, the lack of win streaks, the lack of incredible talent, you know there's no beating around this bush, and I like Silva, but he truly has been rewarded with an extremely easy task within this division, here's the list.

1. Silva 2. Weidman 3. Belfort 4. Lombard. 5. Stann. 6. Bisping. 7. Okami 8. Phillipou 9. Munoz 10. Boetsch

Yes of course that might not be the perfect order, there's also Moussasi, Belcher, Sonnen if he wished to drop weight.

Now I just looked at the top 10 of all division compared to this one, and excluding heavyweight, this is just pathetic. Weidman, Lombard, Silva and Sonnen are truly the only well rounded fighters in this division, Bisping should be but... he clearly can't win the last fight to a title shot.

None of these guys except Silva have consistency, none of them have any 1 area there perfect, then everywhere else there great, except silva, and it's just so pathetic.

I can name 5 - 10 WW's who could come up in a weight and get a title shot faster then any of these guys.

Anyway, I just wanted to hear your guys thoughts? I truly loved this division at a time but... this is just gotten to the point where's its become pathetic.

Anderson Vitor Bisping Phillipou Boetsch Wanderlei Cung Franklin Weidman Okami Munoz Lombard Belcher Palhares

How does Weidman get ranked so high with a win over Munoz who isn't that highly ranked?

Munoz is about equal to Okami,

Lombard needs a better win then Palhares to move up in rank

Okami is less then Franklin

Franklin only beats wanderlei in mma points, wanderlei does more damage every time.

cung flatlined Rich, wanderlei smashed cung

Boetsch and Phillipou have been in the trenches.

Bisping has been associated with the top of the division for a long time

Belfort smashes everyone at 185 except the champ

Anderson is on top.

Chael could fight right in at no.2 if he moves back.

all the real good fighters at 185 jump weight and try their hand at different classes, because they are good enough to compete with the best, but nobody is beating the champ.

Maia, Marquardt, Shields, Vitor, Hendo

I didn't say my list was perfect, like I said, and yea I don't get how Weidman is somehow legendary all the sudden. But obviously the UFC needs someone to hype a Silva fight... After tonight they just lost all their hope in having any realistic #1 contender that will actually sell tickets. Also Chael was this divisions best chance, but instead he likes to do spinning back fists, and try for advancement in fights he could have won, so bad lol.

For the ufc's sake, and the fans enjoyment, Anderson should just move to 205 permanently.

We can see the mw division bust wide open. Chael would come back... Marquardt would probably come back, Hendo would too if he wants to try and get a title... cos he's not getting the 205lb one, come on now. Rashad could maybe try 185, Machida could move down to allow Anderson to run at lhw... Think of all the fights available. I gaurantee Maia would come back if Chael was champ lol.

Anderson at 205 could fight guys like Shogun, Rashad, Rampage (when he comes back, and he will), T Silva, Gus, Glover, and of course Jones.

Lol at Lombard at number 4

MW is one of the deepest...so what all the top guys don't have long win streaks...what divison has that right now?

What's the current streak of GSP next foe nick Diaz?...yah he riding an L...what's the current streak of Jon Jones next for sonnen?...yah he's riding an L

The top 15-20 of MW stacks up better then any other divison but LW and is tied with WW

Non order

Silva

Weidman

Vitor (a divison higher champ)

Bisping

Munoz

Okami

Belcher

Lombard

Stann

Boestch

Costa

Rockhold

Jacare

Kennedy

Palhares

It's not that it's the most talentless, it's that it's both the most unpredictable and predictable division they have. The roster is so close in terms of overall talent level that no one really stands out and is capable of putting together a long streak. And, at the same time, the champ is just so ridiculously ahead of everyone else that people are sent packing and eventually move out, as others are afraid to move in.

If it was as easy as Fitch or Koscheck putting on a little bit of weight to school a bunch of scrubs in the 185 division, you think they wouldn't have tried that? Obviously, they've rolled with some of these dudes and know that it's a better idea to stay where they are, even though they've lost their opportunities at greatness there. And plenty of 205ers are capable of dropping down, but they don't -- either because they're too lazy to get lean or they know they stand no chance against Silva.

For the ufc's sake, and the fans enjoyment, Anderson should just move to 205 permanently.

We can see the mw division bust wide open. Chael would come back... Marquardt would probably come back, Hendo would too if he wants to try and get a title... cos he's not getting the 205lb one, come on now. Rashad could maybe try 185, Machida could move down to allow Anderson to run at lhw... Think of all the fights available. I gaurantee Maia would come back if Chael was champ lol.

Anderson at 205 could fight guys like Shogun, Rashad, Rampage (when he comes back, and he will), T Silva, Gus, Glover, and of course Jones.

I Like this idea!!! ;-)

all the real good fighters at 185 jump weight and try their hand at different classes, because they are good enough to compete with the best, but nobody is beating the champ.

Maia, Marquardt, Shields, Vitor, Hendo

This.

After all, Shields was only a round away on two judges scorecards from beating GSP. Hendo became the Strikeforce LHW Champ, is in line for a shot at Jones. Vitor nearly submitted Jones. Chael is set to fight Jones. Marquardt went on to become a WW champion. Maia is quickly becoming a contendor at 170.

You say the MW division is the weakest? Not even close. It's just that Silva really has forced all of them to try their hands at different weight classes.

BruteDion did you actually saw MW is one of the deepest divisions? Haha. This isn't my opinion bro, this is universal knowledge, not to say HW isn't close or could be disputed as the worst, but in reality it actually isn't win streaks, it's consistency, and talent based on their weights, and compared to Silva, Weidman, and maybe 2 other guys, the rest of the division are miles behind. Look at all the other top 10 lists, almost every top 10 fighter could be Champion, look at 185's, nope hahaha.

185 used to be one of the weakest divisions for talent. Now I would say its either second or third with lightweight being the clear winner for most talent rich division.