Sign in to follow this  
Sisti

Has Vitor gotten better?

Since 2007 his only losses have been against Silva and Jones

His wins include four first round finishes against Lindland, Franklin, Akiyama, and Rumble...now a second round finish vs. Bisping. Since '07 he's 8-2, but he is even better than that record. His wins include extremely quick finishes of top guys and his losses are probably against the 2 best fighters in MMA history. I def am not surprised that he was able to beat bisping...and I think he'd EASILY be champ right now if the 2 contenders were ANYONE other than Silva and Jones

I'm not sure I'd consider any of these top guys except Franklin.. but we all know Franklin is on the downside of his carreer now..

Bisping has never earn a win against a top contender. Rumble hasn't gotten a win against anyone whose name actually means something, and he while he was the bigger man when they fought he was completely depleted and dehydrated. Akiyama? isn't he 1-4 in the UFC including losses to Bisping and... Leben?

Who the hell is Lindland..

Yet I do think Vitor is a force. He convinced me with his performance against Jones, that he was still a threat to anyone.

That being said I do think he's improved his boxing. I had never seen him look as loose and comfortable as tonight.

It's true. When you look at the numbers, his record alone isn't that impressive, but upon inspection the only people he has ever lost to are complete savages: Old school Sakuraba; Randy, Chuck, and Tito in their primes; Overeem; Hendo; Silva; Jones.

I don't think he'll be champ again, but I think he's presently better than the other guys in his range who've gotten more accolades over the years, like Shogun and Rampage. He should really push for some of those 205 dream fights, rather than call out Jones.

And, yea, isn't this the first time he has rocked an opponent with a head kick? Old lion still has it and then some.

It's true. When you look at the numbers, his record alone isn't that impressive, but upon inspection the only people he has ever lost to are complete savages: Old school Sakuraba; Randy, Chuck, and Tito in their primes; Overeem; Hendo; Silva; Jones.

I don't think he'll be champ again, but I think he's presently better than the other guys in his range who've gotten more accolades over the years, like Shogun and Rampage. He should really push for some of those 205 dream fights, rather than call out Jones.

And, yea, isn't this the first time he has rocked an opponent with a head kick? Old lion still has it and then some.

During their career peak I think Shogun and Rampage rightfully got more recognition and were ranked higher, but I think now everyone (except Carnage) realizes that Shogun and Rampage best days were in Pride and they arn't going to return to old form.

Looked pretty shredded...TRT exemption?

But he did expand his skill set, never seen Vitor throw a spinning heel kick or attempt a flying knee.

So his not just relying on his hands

But he did expand his skill set, never seen Vitor throw a spinning heel kick or attempt a flying knee.

C'mon man, he was fighting Michael F****** Bisping.

i believe vitor is better now than when he beat randy for the title

would love to see a rematch between shogun and belfort, or perhaps belfort vs mousasi hendo vs belfort would also be a great rematch

He has gotten better, yes. I would like to see him fight Anderson again, not Jones. It is possible he would give Silva a run for his money the 2nd time. Jones, not so much....

I'm surprised that wasn't made mention of during the broadcast ... I don't remember Vitor ever going for those kinds of kicks

Vitor vs. Lombard would make more sense than Vitor vs. Jones 2. Don't get me wrong, I think he could take Jones if he would be more aggressive with his standup than he was the first time. I kept yelling at the tv, "Stop pulling guard and hit that mother!" A 4 fight winning streak (at MW) with wins over Akiyama, Rumble, Bisping, and Lombard and he would have a strong case for a title shot there. I'd rather see him fight Silva again than Jones. Hendo will take care of Bones. ;)

I was very pleased with those kicks, they were hard and accurate. The spinning kick looked awesome, fast and controlled. The distance was wrong, but hey, not many people can land that kick in a mma match.

I've wanted a Vitor vs Silva rematch for a while now & that win against Bisping was impressive for alot of the reasons ya'll have expressed above..He showed patience in his striking,he was pacing himself,& he was mixing his striking up,its making me want that rematch that much more..

Vitor has always been good

This.

It was pretty clear that Anderson, Chael and Belfort were/are the top3 MWs.

But if you look at Vitor's record there's nothing to say he's a top MW.

This.

A lot of R1 KOs prove otherwise. Also his record is fine, his losses are from top LHWs who he'd beat now and a HW. If I remember correctly, his sister was kidnapped or found dead around that time period.

This.

A lot of R1 KOs prove otherwise. Also his record is fine, his losses are from top LHWs who he'd beat now and a HW. If I remember correctly, his sister was kidnapped or found dead around that time period.

Who has he beat at MW though? Akiyama is a legit bum and Rumble drained his body so hard and couldn't make weight. Bisping is his biggest MW win and he's just a gatekeeper that's been hyped because he's British.

I'd say Weidman is the #2 guy and Chael 3rd if he's still included

One thing that never get's mentioned or is always over looked should I say is the fact that Vitor's had a lot of trouble in his career. He fought Jones with a broken hand and an injured rib. He fought Silva with 530 days of ring rust. I personally thought he beat Chuck Liddel aside from one punch in which Liddel clipped him, but point wise I thought he won that fight. He fought Sakuraba with a broken hand. In his first loss with Randy Couture he had the flu which is why his entrance was delayed because he was back stage throwing up. He got lucky his punch grazed Randy's eye and won him the belt, this was all during the same week his sister was kidnapped, and his sister still has never been found. He wound up losing the rematch to Randy.

I know he's fought in at least two other fights with broken hands...

There's no doubt in my mind a health Phenom is always going to be a contender. And he definitely has gotten better with time. He's always been ripped so I'm not worried about steroids or trt talk. The one time Vitor got caught for an illegal substance was something his doctor injected in him during an injury in which Vitor didn't even know about. The Dolce diet is expensive for a reason, it works.

This.

Who has he beat at MW though? Akiyama is a legit bum and Rumble drained his body so hard and couldn't make weight. Bisping is his biggest MW win and he's just a gatekeeper that's been hyped because he's British.

I'd say Weidman is the #2 guy and Chael 3rd if he's still included

Bisping held his own with Sonnen, and many people thought Bisping won that fight. MMA math doesn't work like that. Sonnen would most likely get submitted from Vitor as BJJ is his biggest weakness.

Exactly...the thing about being a phenom so early in your career is that you never get those easy fights. You end up fighting the top guys in the world throughout your entire career.

I honestly don't think there's anyone in MMA history who has been at the top for as long as Vitor. He was a serious contender and champ back in the day and he's still a serious contender now

He looked really good in this fight. I don't know if it was the PED's or something else, but he was picking his shots and looked really fit. I think a second fight with Silva would go much differently. I don't see that front kick happening again against him so the fight would likely go much longer. I would like to see that rematch more than the Jones one. I think Jones will learn from their first fight and completely dominate Vitor in a rematch, but Vitor should go after Silva just to prove he can go longer against him.