Sign in to follow this  
TalkLost

Gunnar Nelson is very average.

I was one of the people who fell for this guys hype train and believed he would be the next best thing, but after his performance against Santiago, I believe he will never be anything better than a top 10.

that "karate stance" makes me cringe every time I see it (inb4 somone carries on about Machida : D ). He wore some shot's that he really didn't need to.

that "karate stance" makes me cringe every time I see it (inb4 somone carries on about Machida : D ). He wore some shot's that he really didn't need to.
LOLWUT?

The karate stance is the coolest thing about him! I love it!

santiago has great striking and nelson looked good agaisnt him in the standup, most high tier wws dont have the striking of santiago. They rely on thier ground game.

His striking may not be at that top level but the fact that its so unpredictable is a major plus....

As far as his ground game goes....its well ABOVE average. Prob some of the best jits in the division. Don't forget, Santiago is not a easy guy to submit (never lost via sub in his career.)

not overly impressed with any part of his game. He wont beat the top 5

please don't edit this post to avoid future embarrassment B-)

His striking is chalked full of holes, he had trouble with getting jorge down and jorge doesnt exactly have the best grappling in the division and even on the ground he couldnt do anything

gsp beats him

as well as

rory

nick

big rig

condit

macdonald

maia

fitch

maybe ellenberger

maybe shields

etc

Just too early .. just like it was early about Erick and Barboza !!!

Now, I think if he was all that, he would had beaten Santiago (finished) in a more domination way ...

Kid is good tho

not overly impressed with any part of his game. He wont beat the top 5

please don't edit this post to avoid future embarrassment B-)

His striking is chalked full of holes, he had trouble with getting jorge down and jorge doesnt exactly have the best grappling in the division and even on the ground he couldnt do anything

gsp beats him

as well as

rory

nick

big rig

condit

macdonald

maia

fitch

maybe ellenberger

maybe shields

etc

...Jorge is a very well respected black belt with no sub losses.....

Gunnar is also a very well respected grappler with a couple of pan am medals and he beat the likes of Monson.

His striking may not be at that top level but the fact that its so unpredictable is a major plus....

As far as his ground game goes....its well ABOVE average. Prob some of the best jits in the division. Don't forget, Santiago is not a easy guy to submit (never lost via sub in his career.)

He mounted Santiago ,a task Maia was EVEN unable to do,so his jitz is pretty nasty .Santiago has never been Subbed.Not to mention sandman is a natural middleweight ,and Gunnar could easily make lightweight, so size was a factor ,and he rocked the sandman pretty good ,so he has some punching power anyways .Have some patiance ,he's pretty good,and he's not scared to fight bigger guys,

He mounted Santiago ,a task Maia was EVEN unable to do,so his jitz is pretty nasty .Santiago has never been Subbed.Not to mention sandman is a natural middleweight ,and Gunnar could easily make lightweight, so size was a factor ,and he rocked the sandman pretty good ,so he has some punching power anyways .Have some patiance ,he's pretty good,and he's not scared to fight bigger guys,

santiagos chin is well known to be questionable at best and his striking power isnt top. Jorge landed good shots on Gunnar and if that was from someone else gunnar could be asleep

santiagos chin is well known to be questionable at best and his striking power isnt top. Jorge landed good shots on Gunnar and if that was from someone else gunnar could be asleep

Almost half of Jorge's wins are by KO....he's still decent.

and while he doesn't have the best chin...Gunnar is a grappler first. Its not an easy matchup when your facing another top level black belt bjj practitioner. I guarantee most of the strikers from here on out aren't gonna have a ground background like Santiago does.

EVERYONE in the UFC is above average. Gunnars only problem was walking straight back with his hands down and chin up. Besides that which should be an easy fix, I thought he looked solid.

and while he doesn't have the best chin...Gunnar is a grappler first. Its not an easy matchup when your facing another top level black belt bjj practitioner. I guarantee most of the strikers from here on out aren't gonna have a ground background like Santiago does.

but a lot of welters have a good enough wrestling background and experience to stop Gunnars takedowns to keep it striking

but a lot of welters have a good enough wrestling background and experience to stop Gunnars takedowns to keep it striking

but not many of them have an elite striking background, kos? fitch? their striking is below gunnars, maybe ellenberger and hendricks would beat gunnar in a striking match, im pretty sure kampmann would and alves but can they avoid his takeown? but i think gunnar can cause problems for alot of guys on the feet

riddle is on a 4 fight win streak and i know gunnar could stop it.

i want to see riddle vs nelson and santiago vs mills

That's a great shout. I wanna see those two fights too.

I've no interest in seeing Riddle v Hardy. And let's see what Riddle is like in BJJ 'Deep Water'.

but not many of them have an elite striking background, kos? fitch? their striking is below gunnars, maybe ellenberger and hendricks would beat gunnar in a striking match, im pretty sure kampmann would and alves but can they avoid his takeown? but i think gunnar can cause problems for alot of guys on the feet

riddle is on a 4 fight win streak and i know gunnar could stop it.

I saw nothing in his striking to make me believe he would beat kos standing. Alves and Kampmann would stop his takedowns too and light him up standing.

and matt brown would stomp him good

Well , ww is so stacked right now... we'll see what's he made of after his first fight with the sharks in the division. I like him, his head movement isn't his strong point tho...

I still love his Karate stance and stellar ground game. Gunnar could easily fight at LW and his first two fights in the UFC were against guy's who have fought at MW.