Sign in to follow this  
PakaL

Tuf heavyweights any time soon?

Does anyone know if they're any good heavyweights still not in the UFC? My only problem with a HW TUF is that the talent pool might not be deep enough to make a good season

Does anyone know if they're any good heavyweights still not in the UFC? My only problem with a HW TUF is that the talent pool might not be deep enough to make a good season

They're out there. 1 awesome HW out of a season would be a plus.

• Like 1

There are plenty, especially in Russia and eastern europe.

There was no talent in TUF 16 and they made a series out of that so anything is possible

• Like 1

I'd like to see a heavyweights TUF again. I'm tired of the WW. It seems like they always do ****ing WW. They should never do a WW. I hate a lot of WW fighters. Seems like many many of them are not exciting.

TUF 1: MW & LHW

TUF 2: WW & HW

TUF 3: MW & LHW

TUF 4: WW & MW

TUF 5: LW

TUF 6: WW

TUF 7: MW

TUF 8: LW & LHW

TUF 9: LW & WW

TUF 10 HW

TUF 11: MW

TUF12: LW

TUF13: WW

TUF 14: BW & FW

TUF 15: LW

TUF Brazil: FW & MW

TUF 16: WW

TUF Smashes: LW & WW

TUF 17: MW

TUF Brazil 2: WW

TUF 18: BW and BBW (****es BW)

TUF China: FW & WW

TUF Canada vs Australia: WW

TUF 19:MW & LHW

FLW: 0

BW: 2

FW: 3

LW: 6

WW: 10

MW: 8

LHW: 8

HW: 2

Also, the few talent that has come out of heavyweights have been pretty good...

TUF 2: Keith Jardine, Rashad Evans (sure both went down but they were still in the heavyweight season)

TUF 10: Brendan Schaub, Roy Nelson, Matt Mitrione

• Like 1

Yeah it's so hypocritical by the UFC. They complain about having too many fighters on their rosters and then do ****ty TUFs with the same weight class. Like at least do new weight classes to get decent contenders, it's basically turning into a contract to fight on the FB prelims and maybe a Fight Night main card at best

Agreed. How many times have we lamented the spamming of welterweights by TUF? They days of the TUF winner being a contender for the belt are over, at least for the men. There are too many other good opportunities for up-and-coming fighters these days (Bellator, WSOF, OneFC, etc) and the talent pool for TUF has run dry. I do, however, still think they could do a decent heavyweight season. That was one of the best seasons ever (season 10), even if you'd see a couple guys staring at each other in the octagon completely out of breath with their hands on their knees... in the first round nonetheless.

Maybe we'd see some throwbacks to the old bar brawl looking fights like Tank Abbott used to put on.

It seems like a good time to do heavyweight again. If anything, do an international version over in Russia when the UFC tries to go to that market. Thoughts?

All i can say that apart from the St Pierre/Koscheck rivalry i thought that TUF Heavyweights was the most entertaining series so yeah id love the next TUF to be Heavyweights and the Russia thing is a great idea...The Russians are tough man...they grow up with that Sambo/Judo type fighting and they are hard as nails,so i think the Heavyweights like USA vs Russia would be awesome.

I feel like the people wanting a heavyweight season are completely forgetting the last heavyweight season, and how awful it was from a fight perspective. There just aren't enough quality, unsigned heavyweights.

Well, they do have heavyweights on TUF Brazil 3 (Sonnen v. Silva). The very first fight on the initial episode was a sloppy heavyweight bout that saw a guy win with a clearly illegal knee.

Well, they do have heavyweights on TUF Brazil 3 (Sonnen v. Silva). The very first fight on the initial episode was a sloppy heavyweight bout that saw a guy win with a clearly illegal knee.

lol they aren't real Heavyweights

They are cans they found in the slums of Brazil

Now that I've watched the first handful of episodes, I have to agree. The show is called "The Ultimate Fighter Brasil - Em busca de campeões," which I think translates to "The Ultimate Fighter Brazil - In Search of Cans." I don't think they'll get a single viable fighter out of this season, except for maybe some undercarder/prelim fighter for Brazil-only events.

Now that I've watched the first handful of episodes, I have to agree. The show is called "The Ultimate Fighter Brasil - Em busca de campeões," which I think translates to "The Ultimate Fighter Brazil - In Search of Cans." I don't think they'll get a single viable fighter out of this season, except for maybe some undercarder/prelim fighter for Brazil-only events.

For a second i thought you said tuf mexico. Everyone knows any mexican who can run jump and swim is already over here. Single viable fighter anyone even watch a tuf mexico broadcast? Not me and i have fight pass any way to look at the numbers?

I feel like the people wanting a heavyweight season are completely forgetting the last heavyweight season, and how awful it was from a fight perspective. There just aren't enough quality, unsigned heavyweights.

You mean the 2 minutes of haymakers missing by a mile and 13 minutes of hands hanging at their sides of they grasp for air?

People want more of that?

You can't fight normal distribution curves. Few very heavy/very light people, lots in the middle. Hence loads of welterweights and not so many flyweights/heavyweights.
That said the first TUF series with HW's was a good laugh (I think they combined it with WW's) and it had the legendary rich franklin as a coach. The only "HW" who lastd more than a couple of fights was of course Rashad, which kind of proves the lack of depth point

Edited by Bubba_Sparks

Welterweight is used so much because it gives them the option to put lightweights and smaller welterweights in the same tournament.  At all weights on TUF many of the guys are naturally fighting up in weight.  These welterweights that walk around at 200+ lbs would have to do a TUF season at middleweight.  I watched a couple of episodes of the Noke vs Cote season and Noke had 40+ pounds on everyone competing at welterweight and was also bigger than all of the middleweights on the show.

It would be easy to do another TUF heavyweight season.  Find 4 or 5 guys that couldn't cut it in the NFL or guys that were former collegiate football players.  Find 4 or 5 more guys that are natural light heavyweights and then fill in the holes with a few random cans like Kimbo.  

put 16 Russian HWs in there.

Watching the stockholm prelim made me realize RUSSIA and europe is where it's at! Yet Zuffa is in mexico trying to find more mighty mouse champions... It's kwayzeeeee main kwayzeeee

There are plenty, especially in Russia and eastern europe.

There was no talent in TUF 16 and they made a series out of that so anything is possible

That's the place to find the missing links.

It seems like a good time to do heavyweight again. If anything, do an international version over in Russia when the UFC tries to go to that market. Thoughts?

The HW's are the back bone of the sport all the midgets and stuff put doubt in peoples heads. Who is scared of a 125 p4p dude? People are scared of 300 plus pound dudes on or off sight.

HW Tuf would suck.

Instant gas.

Instant gas? What hood do you live in? Do the fat people run laps there?