Which of these Champion/No. 1 Contender fight do you think would be most interesting?

HigherFrequency

Henderson isn't the #1 contender and neither is JDS lol

So, on the UFC Rankings the person right below the Champion in the #1 spot is not the number one contender?

No.

I think otherwise. Cain was Abel to make a "You gotta get through him to get to me" position for himself, but it doesn't mean that Dos Santos is not right underneath him until someone takes his place, because lets say the Browne beat Cain... who would be right next in line for him? Do I see this wrong?

Aldo/Pettis

mismatch, Pettis would KO that weightcutting can

Agreed, when his kidneys can't take that gross weight cut anymore (very soon) Pettis is going to turn him out like a prison **** and send him into early retirement.

Henderson isn't the #1 contender and neither is JDS lol

So, on the UFC Rankings the person right below the Champion in the #1 spot is not the number one contender?

No.

I think otherwise. Cain was Abel to make a "You gotta get through him to get to me" position for himself, but it doesn't mean that Dos Santos is not right underneath him until someone takes his place, because lets say the Browne beat Cain... who would be right next in line for him? Do I see this wrong?

It doesn't make sense for JDS to be the next guy in line after Cain walloped him twice. I'd say JDS is the #2 HW but not the #1 contender

I think if Jones/Gus ever happened, Gus would surprise everybody. Could even be a close decision. JDS vs Cain is close. Might even take 3 fights to decide. Condit/Hendricks and Johnson/Dodson are interesting stylistic matchups that could lead to fairly entertaining fights. And I could see Pettis/Henderson and Aldo/Mendes ending early.

I wanted to see other opinions- not before I made mine, but just to see what was what. Jones/Gustafsson 2 can wait. A lot of these other fights can wait. If either Barao or Faber were to take another fight and lose a controversial decision, this fight would not be as good. It will never be as good as it is going to be right now. I would like to see Johnson/Dodson, too... I'd like to see them all. When i heard about the Cruz replacement, i was like "Here we go again...", but as it grows closer, I am getting more excited for the Bantamweight Title fight. Maybe one of the few times where a last minute replacement was for the better. And i want to see this fight finished. I felt jipped last time.

Weidman/Belfort and it's not even close for me outside of that

Reason being...UFC is way too predictable these days with gameplans, tapes, etc. and those 2 guys are the only 2 guys who you have NO CLUE how things will play out

Weidman - undefeated coming off b2b wins of the GOAT...could be a legend, could be a fluke, we have no idea

Belfort - guy looks insane and has been doing this 20 years...have no idea what to expect in his next fight...could be someone who just can't get past the champ, or he could be the next unstoppable champion

All of them have the potential to be decent fights, but the Weidman/Belfort fight has the most potential to be a great fight in my opinion. At the very least, it should be considered the most interesting, especially regarding the hype that'll help sell it when it happens.

Many consider Chris Weidman to be the fighter of 2013 because he beat the P4P GOAT twice. If there is a fighter who could contest that title, it's Vitor Belfort. "The Phenom" earned 3 KOTN honors over top contenders in two different weight classes, as well as becoming the first man to crack one of the legendary chins of the sport in Dan Henderson. Weidman, who was able to "sneak up" on the Middleweight division in defeating former top ten fighters Demian Maia and Mark Munoz, made a big splash in earning the KOTY when he defeated former champion Anderson "The Spider" Silva. Many considered Belfort to be the most dangerous fighter in the Middleweight division aside from "The Spider". Now he'll be fighting the "All-American," who has beaten Silva twice.

Weidman has displayed a polished, well rounded skillset that has proven to be too much for every opponent who has challenged him. Belfort has been fighting with the skills he's earned as a veteran of the sport, but also with the heart and determination that he displayed when he was a hungry, young challenger making a name for himself in the sport. Weidman, the undefeated champion, looks to cement himself as the legitimate heir to the Middleweight throne by dispatching of another legendary contender. Vitor looks to become only the third fighter in UFC history to earn championships in 2 separate weight classes. The unyielding past meets the inexorable future in the present day.

How could you not get hyped for that?

Archived