The dangers of using UFC's Fight Pass

fobar

There are a number of potentially serious security questions about the UFC's Fight Pass service, unfortunately the promotion isn't interested in answering them at this time.

The UFC's Fight Pass has launched to mixed reviews. Generally the feeling is that once it's up and running as promised, it's going to be pretty great. There are a few teething problems at the moment - in terms of content delivery and user friendliness - which Trent Reinsmith covered in detail here.

My concern is less with that, and more with the security and support side of things. My background is in developing software solutions for companies' online web presence, and security of user data is a pretty fundamental pillar of that. The security of user data on UFC.TV, which is the home of the user data for fight pass, has some flaws which are sounding alarms with many, myself included.

User passwords are shown in plain text (you can test this by telling the UFC.TV site you forgot your password. They'll email you your own password.) In short, what this means is your password is at some point visible to anyone with access to the UFC's user database. That means UFC employees, and anyone who may gain access to it through nefarious means, such as hacking the UFC's DB server, which is a relatively common type of web hack, can see the password you use on UFC.TV.

MORE here: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/1/13/5295434/ufc-fight-pass-security-issues-credit-cards-hackers-fraud

I already have all fights available on fight pass on a 1.5TB HDD with space for the next twelve months easliy soooooo.... thanks but no thanks!

pardon my stupidity, but what is this??

He's saying he illegally downloaded copy righted material off the interwebz and stored the data on his external hard drive.

In other words, he's a bad ****. Now please make me a mod for assisting a mod.

I already have all fights available on fight pass on a 1.5TB HDD with space for the next twelve months easliy soooooo.... thanks but no thanks!

pardon my stupidity, but what is this??

He's saying he illegally downloaded copy righted material off the interwebz and stored the data on his external hard drive.

In other words, he's a bad ****. Now please make me a mod for assisting a mod.

well not EXACTLY what I'm saying but I guess it's pretty close

• 4 weeks later...
I just don't see paying for this. Zuffa took my own personal UFC videos that I recorded myself off of YouTube, so I'll just go get free torrents to see what i want to see. Shady counters shady. There is a torrent out there with UFC 1 - Eighty-something on it. I recommend it.

Hard to find old events though

Just an update. These security issues have been fixed. If you signed up previously you will have to go back and do it again.

so can we unregister now?

Yes, If you log in and go to subscriptions, there will be a link to cancel

Just confirmed this. My Account > My Subscriptions, and there is a Cancel Subscription link.

Just an update. These security issues have been fixed. If you signed up previously you will have to go back and do it again.

so can we unregister now?

Yes, If you log in and go to subscriptions, there will be a link to cancel

Just confirmed this. My Account > My Subscriptions, and there is a Cancel Subscription link.

Thanks for backing me up Mcmax

use a cc with 0 liability if its stolen and more importantly use different passwords for different things.

I watch fight pass on a roku box i picked up for like 35 bucks on ebay.

I can take it with me anywhere, like a friends house and my account follows me so we can watch fights, prelims over there or wherever i take it and have internet and a tv

fight pass gives you fight library but it also integrates with ufc.tv (on the roku anyway) and puts all the ufc stuff in one place. Pre and Post interviews, previews, weigh ins, q&a, all videos are in one handy place for each event,

PPV are of course not included but if you do buy it, it integrates right there into the channel.

Fox fights are blacked out too if the fox channel is showing fight in your region

Fox fights are blacked out too if the fox channel is showing fight in your region

For anybody in Canada, the TV fights aren't blacked out, but do require a separate payment to watch separately. The UFC 169 FS1 prelims streamed for free here. Not sure if that will always be the case going forward, because the Fight Night show in mid-January, they did not.

All of you who actually signed up for this gimmick better not get pissed off when you see your CC info has been stolen and someone is making purchases with it. You were warned.

What about those of us that signed up before this information came out? Can't really say we were warned.

I really hope Fight Pass fails and they put it back to how it used to be. I live in the UK and its bad enough dealing with watching the fights the day after and dealing with the UFC putting on terrible fight cards that are in Europe.

Luckily I'm switching to a BT package so I will get BT Sport for free now but paying extra to watch prelims is bull****. Only televising the main card is stupid as there are only ever 4-5 fights, which most consist of a LnP fighter vs a Back pedaling fighter. Also without seeing the up and coming fighters on the prelims, a lot of people get mad because they don't know who fighters are once they reach main card status.

Now on to the upcoming UK card which is an utter disappointment. Each prelim fight has atleast one English/European fighter competing. These are all fighters I support and like to watch. If the only way of watching them is paying extra money then the UFC can jog on and illegal streaming power will come into play. The main card has 3 scheduled fights unless Brad Pickett has an opponent step in to make it up to the original 4, which is still such a small number. If the UFC really want to live up to MMA's title of "fastest growing sport in the world" then learn how to market in foreign countries better!!! Only televising 4 of 10(smallest fight card in years?, pathetic!) fights will not grow the sport of MMA or the UFC at all in other countries. Doing things like this will earn MMA the title of "fastest failing sport in years" if they keep up this bull****.

I think it's lame that they are doing entire cards all over the world exclusively. So we basically have to pay to watch in the middle of the night and thats assuming their aren't any technical difficulties. The UFC has has them in the past and by no means should be enforcing this so soon without a better fix for future events.

So for London and China cards next month we can't DVR and watch in the morning. At least make fight pass available with our tv service so we can record and not have to worry about finding out spoilers when not watching live.

All of you who actually signed up for this gimmick better not get pissed off when you see your CC info has been stolen and someone is making purchases with it. You were warned.

Obviously we will get pissed off if we're robbed lol they shouldn't take your details if they aren't secure whether some outside source warned people or not.

Obviously we will get pissed off if we're robbed lol they shouldn't take your details if they aren't secure whether some outside source warned people or not.

You were warned...

Screen_shot_2012-02-10_at_11.25.26_PM.png

You were warned...

Screen_shot_2012-02-10_at_11.25.26_PM.png

Lmao I'll split that bald dome open if I get robbed

So for London and China cards next month we can't DVR and watch in the morning. At least make fight pass available with our tv service so we can record and not have to worry about finding out spoilers when not watching live.

You can go on the site, and start the shows at any time from the beginning. They also have full DVR style controls so you can pause, and rewind. I'm not sure what else you could want, other than not having to connect a computer to the TV, which is hopefully something they'll rectify sooner rather than later.

You can go on the site, and start the shows at any time from the beginning. They also have full DVR style controls so you can pause, and rewind. I'm not sure what else you could want, other than not having to connect a computer to the TV, which is hopefully something they'll rectify sooner rather than later.

Yeah an xbone app needs to get here soon will save a lot of hassle

Archived