Josh Barnett outlines 12-step program to return to UFC fighting dominance

fobar

barnett45.0_standard_783.0.jpg

"Honestly, it wasn't about what went wrong. Sometimes you just don't appear, man," Barnett said on Monday's edition of The MMA Hour. "After 17 years, I can't say that I've had tougher nights, or you've had nights were you didn't perform as well as you'd like to. But this was the only time I'd ever had where it was just... I just didn't show up at all.

"I really feel like I didn't even have a fight. Me, ‘the Warmaster,' Josh Barnett, he didn't show up. Some other guy walked into the ring and sort of piddled around a little bit., but that's not me, and it was very strange. But I figure after being in so many fights and being through this whole process for so long, it's really not too surprising that it could happen."

Although the abrupt and violent end to the fight was surprising, Barnett was not the first victim to such an attack. Gabriel Gonzaga felt his own consciousness ripped away by a salvo of elbows to the head from Browne last April. Afterward Gonzaga appealed the loss, claiming that the technique was illegal.

The Nevada State Athletic Commission ultimately denied Gonzaga's appeal, but for his part, Barnett doesn't share Gonzaga's feelings of concern.

"They looked questionable, but at the same time, I'm an old-school guy. I figure, if people are going to be teetering on the edge so much, might as well just let it all be legal anyway," Barnett said. "Soccer kicks, stomps, knees. I'd rather that, personally, than have all these really near-arbitrary rules about the location of an elbow and where it should hit, what angle it has to be. It's just kind of ridiculous. I'd do the same (to Browne), so that's the way it is, and you've got to work within that system."

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/1/13/5305468/josh-barnett-outlines-12-step-program-to-return-to-ufc-fighting

So he's basically giving Travis zero credit for knocking him out with takedown defense....

Seems legit.

No he's saying he didn't fight to his full potential. Plus most fighters would moan about the "questionable" hellbows and ask for a rematch, Barnett's a fair play kind of guy not like Silva.

So he's basically giving Travis zero credit for knocking him out with takedown defense....

Seems legit.

No he's saying he didn't fight to his full potential. Plus most fighters would moan about the "questionable" hellbows and ask for a rematch, Barnett's a fair play kind of guy not like Silva.

^This, he could have **** about Travis's elbows but said that's fighting. He really didn't do anything in that fight and he just feels he wasn't there

seems legit to me

Meh I think if you talk this much about not "showing up" you have to at least tip your hat to the other guy, you know the guy who actually did show up and knocked you out cold, or it just sounds like excuse making.

I like Barnett and picked him to win but I think he should have kept this to himself and just trained hard as hell to come back and put a beating on his next opponent.

Besides those elbows were clean. The Gonzaga ones were pretty dicey, but these were legit.

Meh I think if you talk this much about not "showing up" you have to at least tip your hat to the other guy, you know the guy who actually did show up and knocked you out cold, or it just sounds like excuse making.

I like Barnett and picked him to win but I think he should have kept this to himself and just trained hard as hell to come back and put a beating on his next opponent.

Besides those elbows were clean. The Gonzaga ones were pretty dicey, but these were legit.

he was doing an interview about what went wrong and he gave a very frank and honest assessment, don't see nothing wrong with it personally

he was doing an interview about what went wrong and he gave a very frank and honest assessment, don't see nothing wrong with it personally

Does an interview about what went wrong in a fight he got KTFO in (he was resting lifeless on Browne's knee) and doesn't mention the guy that finished him or any situation in the fight(if the elbows were clean or not is a different discussion). Not showing up just doesn't cut it to me.

He's a former champ, not some kid who just got his first taste of the bright lights and froze up.

Does an interview about what went wrong in a fight he got KTFO in (he was resting lifeless on Browne's knee) and doesn't mention the guy that finished him or any situation in the fight(if the elbows were clean or not is a different discussion). Not showing up just doesn't cut it to me.

He's a former champ, not some kid who just got his first taste of the bright lights and froze up.

Meh, don't be so grumpy lol

Meh, don't be so grumpy lol

I'm only perturbed by this because I like Josh and wanted him to win. There's nothing wrong with admitting that you were beat by a better fighter that particular night. He almost sounds like he's trying to justify not being able to hang with Travis by putting it all on the fact that he didn't "show up."

If you think about it he had Travis against the cage with both arms around his legs looking for a takedown. I'm sure that creating a grappling situation was part of his gameplan. He just didn't account for those Gonzaga bows.

He sounds butthurt about the loss and I'd rather he just sucked it up and trained harder. Either way it's not the end of the world. I trust he can maul anyone outside of the top guys, so he'll be right back in the win column.

Seems legit.

Travis deserves no credit

Don't be hatin, Travis brought us a great new move for EA UFC. It just happened to be against the Warmaster unfortunately.

if he was asked about Travis he would have given him his props, but it was about HIM not anyone else

I don't think the question was framed with those specifics in mind, but even if it was I still think his reasoning is BS. There's no substance to it. It's not like he said my footwork was bad or whatever. At least if he mentioned something concrete about himself coming up short in his MMA game that night it would be passable. BS abstract answer is BS.

Seems legit.

Travis deserves no credit

Don't be hatin, Travis brought us a great new move for EA UFC. It just happened to be against the Warmaster unfortunately.

if he was asked about Travis he would have given him his props, but it was about HIM not anyone else

I don't think the question was framed with those specifics in mind, but even if it was I still think his reasoning is BS. There's no substance to it. It's not like he said my footwork was bad or whatever. At least if he mentioned something concrete about himself coming up short in his MMA game that night it would be passable. BS abstract answer is BS.

you are quite gotten too by this aren't you. i'm a big fan of his but that dosent cloud my judgement, just think you need to lighten up a bit. it was a decent read

I'm specifically speaking about the not showing up part. The rest of the article was fine.

I admit full gotten to status when guys start talking about "oh I just didn't show up that night." I see it as excuse making for losing to the better guy, having a crappy training camp, having a bad weight cut etc etc

I honestly detect a tinge of butthurt from losing to Browne. The way he ran through Mir must have given Josh some big confidence. Sounds like he hasn't fully accepted the loss with all this not showing up business.

I feel like 12-6 elbows should be illegal anywhere you throw them.

Dont give me that he was sliding them crap, he picks his elbow straight up and brings them straight down on the temple and side of neck,

He DID show a lot more control in stopping the blows when the ref said so, unlike in the Gonzaga fight when he continued to 12-6 the back of Gonzos head even after the ref stepped in. So at least now its apparent he's training for the position and the *ahem* legal *ahem* elbows.

So i guess in the Gonzaga fight you could chop it up to in the moment as "I see a position im going for it"

but now, he's training that position to look to land 12-6 elbows.

UFC has been getting really lenient on their elbow rules, on their cage grabbing/ short grabbing, all this crap that is in the rule book to protect the fighters for one reason or another and it's getting annoying.

It has become apparent that wrestling is public enemy number 1 in the UFC.

In all fairness, people who posses any lack of wrestling skills really have no conventional way of stopping a takedown from say

Chad Mendes, Chael Sonnen, Cain Velasquez, and the likes.

We saw Aldo grab the fence which was the sole reason he was able to KO Mendes the way he was

We saw Silva grab the shorts and grease to avoid takedowns from Chael en route to a t/ko

Now don't jump the gun and say im pointing out blame on brazilians those were just two fights off the top of my head.

Fact of the matter is, Yes, people are going to cheat to stay on their feet anyway they can.

And at the end of the day, for some reason, if the ref doesn't call it illegal, it's not illegal.

Maybe these elbows are the start of a revolutionary era where wrestlers have to work for once to gain a takedown

A 12-6 elbow can do the same amount of damage as a regular elbow. I mean how many times have we seen huge nasty gashes or people getting KTFO from just regular old elbows that come across. The difference between the two is completely arbitrary IMO.

Shots to the back of the head is a completely different story.

Am i the only one who doesn't like this guy?

He strikes me as very arrogant for someone who has repeatedly been caught cheating and is a mess physically.

Yes. Yes you are

Well that answers that thank you, I shall leave ya'll in peace

So he's basically giving Travis zero credit for knocking him out with illegal elbows....

Seems legit.

Fixed

Those were completely legal. The Gonzaga ones were different, much closer to the back of the head.

Don't wanna get hellbowed into a lifeless corpse-like state? Then don't press Browne up against the cage while going for a double leg.

Maybe these elbows are the start of a revolutionary era where wrestlers have to work for once to gain a takedown

I don't think so. There is no substitute for distance control and solid TDD both at a distance and off the cage.

These elbows are just icing and good for a very specific situation which is when fighters get lazy or desperate with posture and slump over on low level takedown attempts typically against the cage which actually works to pin themselves in place as well as the fighter defending the attempt since there is no place to go to drive though and topple them. In the center of the cage the fighter defending the TD would be too off balance would be too pre occupied fending off the driving pressure to be effective with elbows like that let alone even attempt them. If a fighter shoots and ends up of on their knees on a low level shot they have to finish the takedown immediately or rise up to a body lock or pull guard. It's not a position you can relax and hang out even for a few moments. Fighters should consider it a scramble position and you have to work.

Basically fighters should have taken notice before but especially after the Gonzaga fight that if you're on your knees working on a single/double leg you can only be there for a split second and the most important thing is keeping your posture straight and staying in motion chaining attacks. If you stall or slump at all you're vulnerable to solid elbows/knees and counter grappling such as handfighting, pummeling for underhooks a deep overhook aka Whizzer, a switch or even guillotines and kimura.

A 12-6 elbow can do the same amount of damage as a regular elbow. I mean how many times have we seen huge nasty gashes or people getting KTFO from just regular old elbows that come across. The difference between the two is completely arbitrary IMO.

go back and try to watch the hamill/ jones fight.

the **** was grusome man.... it looks like he's killing him lol

12-6 elbows can crush skulls. They aren't the same as a standard swinging elbow

I kinda feel like you're underrating the density of a human skull. I'd have to say that a full on roundhouse kick to the head would generate way more power than a 12-6 elbow and we don't see fighters getting their skulls kicked in.

Maybe it has something to do with the point of the elbow causing the strike to have a more devastating effect because the impact is more centralized then that of a shin bone, which would of course have a larger impact area.

It's almost like poking someone with the sharp end of a nail as opposed to the head of the nail.

I can see what you're saying but I still fell as though 12-6 wouldn't be much more devastating than some of the bloody messes we've seen over the years from regular old swinging elbows.

I kinda feel like you're underrating the density of a human skull. I'd have to say that a full on roundhouse kick to the head would generate way more power than a 12-6 elbow and we don't see fighters getting their skulls kicked in.

Maybe it has something to do with the point of the elbow causing the strike to have a more devastating effect because the impact is more centralized then that of a shin bone, which would of course have a larger impact area.

It's almost like poking someone with the sharp end of a nail as opposed to the head of the nail.

I can see what you're saying but I still fell as though 12-6 wouldn't be much more devastating than some of the bloody messes we've seen over the years from regular old swinging elbows.

Jones cracked Vera's orbital (skull)bones with hellows.

Jones cracked Vera's orbital (skull)bones with hellows.

Dude cmon. The bones in your face are not as strong as the top of your head or even forehead.

I know technically I said "skull" but I think it was clear that I wasn't talking about about an orbital bone.

Besides those weren't 12-6ers anyways so you're basically proving my point that swinging elbows are just as vicious as 12-6ers.

Archived