Is there such a thing as luck in a MMA fight ?

MachidaSilva

The word 'luck' in relation to martial arts is typically used by people who have never really trained and competed.

I answered no but the question is very vague and if you accept the question the way it has been presented then my answer would be yes and I'll explain:

Lower level MMA practitioners can certainly get lucky when they stray away from the techniques that they have trained and win by landing a bar room brawling type of haymaker, for example.

However, at a high level such as the UFC, no luck does not play a role and is ridiculous to even consider.

Since many people quickly threw around the "He got Lucky" rhetoric post Silva's last two losses, I'll use them as an example...

Weidman and all UFC athletes train to land punches like the ones that Weidman landed to knock Silva out in their first fight. How is it a lucky punch if you throw punches to the face/head and you connect?

Definition of Luck via Merriam-Webster: "the things that happen to a person because of chance : the accidental way things happen without being planned"

Definition via Google: "success or failure apparently brought by chance rather than through one's own actions"

If you can point out an MMA fight that ended when one fighter's face just happened to run into an opponent's fist which lead to a KO then please provide the link.

Also, I'd like to see a link where a person was submitted by 'chance' rather than the fighter's own actions. Has Rousey ever accidentally submitted an opponent via accidental armbar?

And if you'd like to rely on an extremely vague definition of the word then you can say that all winners had good look. Or you can say that every fighter is 'lucky' to get their chance to compete. But that's not the vague definition that we should be discussing, in my opinion.

The word 'luck' in relation to martial arts is typically used by people who have never really trained and competed.

that's a very arrogant assumption

I disagree and think that it's disrespectful to essentially refer to a fighter's dedicated training as, "luck."

your assumption is very arrogant if you think its typically used by people who have never really trained or competed. I have done both and know a lot of fighters and they would agree with me, luck does sometimes play a part in every aspect of their careers

One that stands out to me was Scott smith vs Pete sell. Smith was completely done but he threw a Hail Mary punch and it landed he then collapsed on the floor, that to me is the definition of a lucky punch.

No way!!! That's a perfect example of how you never give up and you stay focused. Smith barely hung on after being chopped down and then devastated by the body shot. He dipped and was about to give in to the pain but ended up catching Sell coming in with a nearly text-book right cross. The reason why I say, 'near' text-book is only because his arms had dropped while dealing with that body shot.

That was a good punch.

One that stands out to me was Scott smith vs Pete sell. Smith was completely done but he threw a Hail Mary punch and it landed he then collapsed on the floor, that to me is the definition of a lucky punch.

No way!!! That's a perfect example of how you never give up and you stay focused. Smith barely hung on after being chopped down and then devastated by the body shot. He dipped and was about to give in to the pain but ended up catching Sell coming in with a nearly text-book right cross. The reason why I say, 'near' text-book is only because his arms had dropped while dealing with that body shot.

That was a good punch.

So one fight that you can "break down" makes your statement completely true?

Luck plays a part of it. If you want to disagree go break your jimmies elsewhere.

That was a good punch.

Luck plays a part of it. If you want to disagree go break your jimmies elsewhere.

Somebody gave a specific example and I explained why I disagreed.

The word "Luck", when stated within the context of this discussion, is only used by newbs. Get over it.

That was a good punch.

The word "Luck", when stated within the context of this discussion, is only used by newbs. Get over it.

wrong

That was a good punch.

wrong

**Compelling argument.**

That was a good punch.

wrong

**Compelling argument.**

well you decided to ignore my last post, and you are wrong

No I didn't and no I'm not. But thanks for your interest.

Yes you did and you are. funny that one post is the only post you failed to answer

I have no idea what you're referring to. Ask this amazing question again please and thanks in advance.

cant answer it so make a stupid remark instead. well done you

How is asking you to ask your question again a, "stupid remark"?

Within the time that it took you to post that ignorant comment you could've reposted your question.

If you want a question answered then ask it and stop playing your childish trolling game, kiddo.

and in the time you have posted these comments you could have read the post and replied, interesting you didn't.lol

I checked the other page several comments ago, genius. You haven't asked any compelling question, let alone one that I needed to avoid. Get over yourself and ask the question or troll elsewhere.

Predictable and cowardly reply in 3...2...1...

lol its the only post you ignored, who's the coward?

Okay so you have no question. Why would you waste your time playing this game?

answer the comment is what I said, I never mentioned a question. you're the one playing games here, i'm just showing you up for it. and you don't like it

What in the world are you trolling about, weirdo?

Answer a comment? Huh? People answer questions.

Would you like me to respond to a comment? Well then stop playing these games and post this mysterious and earth shattering comment, troll.

Are you lonely or something?

Archived