Sign in to follow this  
Megasoup

Computer Science

So, I tend bar. I mean, I guess I've done other things and I'd like to think I have the potential to do a lot more. From time to time, I've worked pretty darn hard at some things that never panned out for me.

Anyway, by chance; by some odd stroke of fortune, I've found myself in some sort of pilot program with about a thousand random people in the St. Louis area are given a chance to take some accelerated computer science program from Harvard. It's an online program, but we also meet up twice a week for guidance, support and tutoring. Anyone who gets through this course immediately gets placed in one of over a hundred companies )who've agreed to take part in this) in a position alongside a more seasoned and experienced computer geek. The pay begins at 15 dollars an hour until the company decides they want to hire at an industry standard wage, which we were told starts at the mid-$50's (grand.) From initial hire to full hire, the estimated time is a few months.

No one was chosen. There was no selection process. There were no prerequisites. It's totally free. The only catch is that it's a really difficult program to get through.

So, that's where I'm at. I've just completed the first week of a four-month program. This could change my life.

Great! Can you stick with it? Based on what you post here, you seem to always be looking for something different, and don't stay with anything for too long. Sounds like a great opportunity.

Great! Can you stick with it? Based on what you post here, you seem to always be looking for something different, and don't stay with anything for too long. Sounds like a great opportunity.

True, I jump around. It's usually because I find out something sucks. Now, I can handle something that sucks if the pay was decent, but most of these crappy little jobs I've had didn't have much of a financial incentive. This is a chance to make some decent dough and have regular daytime hours. I can't tend bar forever.

CS was my first major in college, I changed it after the first semester. It's a lot of long hours sitting at a desk programming until your fingertips are calloused.

Some people love it, but it wasn't for me. Good luck with it.

CS was my first major in college, I changed it after the first semester. It's a lot of long hours sitting at a desk programming until your fingertips are calloused.

I'll be honest, I don't think it's the sort of career that really fit my "type," but nor is wading through a 16 inches of mud while putting together concrete foundation forms (which I've done) or trying to steer a conversation with a well-rehearsed spiel and a bucket of half-truths to a homeowner who has his guard up...so that I can list their house for a chance at some commission (which I've also done.)

No, this is a screwy world with a lot of screwy options. My career as a rockstar never took off, so I'm left with a world of career choices that aren't all too envious. Computer Programmers are in demand and it seems to pay rather well. Maybe this will be yet another career that I stay in for a mere 2 or three years. The good news is, when I inevitably grow weary of it, I'll at least have a little money set aside. Maybe I can open a Salsa club of my own.

I'll be honest, I don't think it's the sort of career that really fit my "type," but nor is wading through a 16 inches of mud while putting together concrete foundation forms (which I've done) or trying to steer a conversation with a well-rehearsed spiel and a bucket of half-truths to a homeowner who has his guard up...so that I can list their house for a chance at some commission (which I've also done.)

No, this is a screwy world with a lot of screwy options. My career as a rockstar never took off, so I'm left with a world of career choices that aren't all too envious. Computer Programmers are in demand and it seems to pay rather well. Maybe this will be yet another career that I stay in for a mere 2 or three years. The good news is, when I inevitably grow weary of it, I'll at least have a little money set aside. Maybe I can open a Salsa club of my own.

^ lol

I'm in the final year of my degree (comp sci related) it's hard work but plenty of job opportunities, like you said even if it isn't for you its well worth doing for a chance at a bit of money.

As far as programming goes pick a modern-ish language (C#, Java) for an easy introduction and then think how a computer would e.g. I say hi a computer would need a command such as Say() and then parameters Say("hi"). Can be hard and boring but again something that will help.

Good luck either way.

Good luck!

I just have one question though. Why can you not tend bar forever? If you enjoy it, it sounds like you do, and it is financially feasible there is no shame in that at all.

Good luck!

I just have one question though. Why can you not tend bar forever? If you enjoy it, it sounds like you do, and it is financially feasible there is no shame in that at all.

I once read a story about a guy who had traveled the world, got his law degree and had practiced, he also had a medical degree and was a practicing GP. I guess my point is why limit yourself? try everything and learn as much as you can - "variety is the spice of life"

Good luck!

I once read a story about a guy who had traveled the world, got his law degree and had practiced, he also had a medical degree and was a practicing GP. I guess my point is why limit yourself? try everything and learn as much as you can - "variety is the spice of life"

LoL megasoup? Never would have guessed it.

And if that is your goal no shame good luck.

Good luck!

Lol no, just giving my opinion

Good luck!

Lol no, just giving my opinion

Oh ok lol.

Good luck!

He does sound a little like me! I say that all the time in real life, too "variety is the spice of life." I don't know that I ever write that down, though, as it's cliche'.

Anyway, my alts are usually cleverly disguised and have completely opposite personalities...like a gay asian guy who believes he's on the "inside" of the MMA world or a delusional former drill sergeant/ex-ranger with an odd last name.

Good luck!

He does sound a little like me! I say that all the time in real life, too "variety is the spice of life." I don't know that I ever write that down, though, as it's cliche'.

Anyway, my alts are usually cleverly disguised and have completely opposite personalities...like a gay asian guy who believes he's on the "inside" of the MMA world or a delusional former drill sergeant/ex-ranger with an odd last name.

LoL I thought it was you because I have seen you write that before.

My alts are pretty transparent actually.

Computer science is my major. In particular I am trying to get into Network Administration. Seems like such a lazy chill job and just pays such ridiculous amounts.

Programming is fun, Download Netbeans and **** around with Java. Such a powerful language and it's pretty fun. Although Java is more if your looking to get into developing apps but you can also create programs in C++ in Netbeans which is more for a corporate setting.

I also believe you can take free courses on Oracle(At least this is where my Networking classes are ) but I don't know if since I was taking it through my school it was "Free"

My advise if you decide to take computer science seriously is invest into getting certificates. From individuals I have met that are already very successful in the industry, they all swear by them. Supposedly Companies take it a lot more seriously because college is more of theoretical which doesn't necessarily mean you would be able to apply this sort of knowledge in a real life scenario.