Texas rhino hunt auction winner gets death threats

SavageTC

A US man who paid $US350,000 ($A393,880) for the right to hunt an endangered African black rhino said he's had to hire full-time security due to death threats after his name was leaked onto the internet.

Corey Knowlton told Dallas television stations WFAA and KTVT that he won last week's Dallas Safari Club auction to hunt a black rhino in the African nation of Namibia.

The club says the permit was auctioned to raise money for efforts to protect and conserve the species.

An estimated 4000 black rhinos remain in the wild, and the auction drew critics who said all members of an endangered species deserve protection.

"I'm a hunter," Knowlton told WFAA.

"I want to experience a black rhino. I want to be intimately involved with a black rhino. If I go over there and shoot it or not shoot it, it's beyond the point."

Knowlton lives in Royse City, about 48km outside Dallas, and leads international hunting trips for a Virginia-based company, The Hunting Consortium.

He told KTVT that threats made to organisers before the auction led the Safari Club to contact him and see if he would bid. Knowlton and a silent partner raised the money to make the bid, he said.

His name was posted on Facebook and then picked up by websites that publicised his involvement in the auction. He told KTVT that since then, he's feared for his family's safety.

"They're wanting to kill me," he said.

"They're wanting to kill my children. They're wanting to skin us alive."

The club says the Namibian rhino in question is older, male and non-breeding - and that the animal was likely to be targeted for removal anyway because it was becoming aggressive.

Knowlton said he believed the hunt would be managed well and that the money would go to save rhinos in the end.

Of critics who had written thousands of comments on his Facebook page and online, Knowlton said: "They don't know who I am. They don't know what I'm about. They don't even understand the process.''

Knowlton did not return phone and email messages from The Associated Press.

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/texas-rhino-hunt-auction-winner-gets-death-threats-from-critics/story-fnixwvgh-1226803825524

While i obviously don't condone death threats or acts of violence against this person, hunting an endangered species to preserve it seems like some pretty backwards logic to me.

I fully support people who hunt to eat or eradicate feral and introduced invasive species, but trophy hunting rustles my jimmies.

Thoughts?

Isn't the reason for killing the Rhino is that it is hyper aggressive and infertile? It is killing the competition and not "gettting the job done" so to speak.

Typical of people to subscribe to Imright .com and then pass judgment with only half of the facts

Isn't the reason for killing the Rhino is that it is hyper aggressive and infertile? It is killing the competition and not "gettting the job done" so to speak.

Typical of people to subscribe to Imright .com and then pass judgment with only half of the facts

Well the quote in the article is "The club says the Namibian rhino in question is older, male and non-breeding - and that the animal was likely to be targeted for removal anyway because it was becoming aggressive."

However it should be noted this quote is from the hunting club and is hard to take on face value as they have their own interests at stake.

In my opinion it should be left alone, but if it poses a serious risk to people, I would at least hope that relocation to a zoo where it can be used to artificially reproduce would be the next option.

Maybe thats just not possible and it has to be terminated, in which case we come back to this current scenario, with the right to hunt it being auctioned to the highest bidder, which I personally find tasteless.

Unfortunately the militant animal activists have gotten involved and they are fully retarded for the most part, and threatening this man was just stupid.

"I want to experience a black rhino. I want to be intimately involved with a black rhino. If I go over there and shoot it or not shoot it, it's beyond the point."

Thoughts?

LOL, that's some ****ed up **** right here.

Thats what i'm talking about. absolutely tasteless

Have to throw this in there now lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt6kKhlX8vU

While I don't normally support trophy hunting if that particular rhino is a danger to the species then I see the merit in it. The thing that worries me is that the government is getting the money for instead of it going directly into the conservation projects trying to protect the species

Not really. All that trophy hunting means is that you are hunting for the biggest horns or animal. I eat all of the meat or give it to friends and donate the hide to a palce that makes gloves and hats for the homeless. If you eat meat at all you are just being a hypocrite.

We have talked about this before.

Not really. All that trophy hunting means is that you are hunting for the biggest horns or animal. I eat all of the meat or give it to friends and donate the hide to a palce that makes gloves and hats for the homeless. If you eat meat at all you are just being a hypocrite.

We have talked about this before.

i would never kill anything for my own enjoyment.

Archived