What criteria has to be met for a fighter to become a "can"?

HigherFrequency

The word has evolved from simply meaning "a poor/mediocre fighter used to pad records" to a general insult. A fighter being called a "can" is like a mechanic or technician being called a "hack". It's used to impugn not only the individual but also the individual's capability in his/her field.

These guys are "cans" according to the classic definition:

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Kenneth-Allen-13050

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Shawn-Nolan-5080

Neither of the above are skilled fighters, but they've sure helped pad the records of many fighters in the past (obviously, since they have records of 1-34 and 6-46, respectively).

Now, calling someone a "can" (no one in the UFC is truly a can in the classic sense - cans would be relegated to smaller promotions) is basically the biggest insult you can use for a fighter. By calling someone a can, you're not only levying a personal insult against them, you're slamming their work inside the cage. It's the ultimate slur for MMA fighters (and boxers I guess, since the term is borrowed from that sport), and it gets used all the time on this forum.

So, to recap:

Can (classic definition): low skilled fighter used to pad other fighters' records

Can (modern definition): slur against mixed martial artists attacking them not only personally but professionally

Tomato CAN is likely the original phrase. When you called somebody a tomato can, it means they're just in there to get beat up and pad the record of whoever they're fighting. To clarify, I'll use it in a sentence.

"If you fight at 135 in the UFC, you're a tomato can, unless your name is Renan Barao."

From what I have seen from some of the ignorant people on this form, your only not a can if you are: undefeated, you fight only top 10 fighters, finish all your fights, fight at least 3 times a year and never get injured, and have a likeable personality.

Forum*, you're*, ignorant.

Also, GSP is a can.

From what I have seen from some of the ignorant people on this form, your only not a can if you are: undefeated, you fight only top 10 fighters, finish all your fights, fight at least 3 times a year and never get injured, and have a likeable personality.

sounds like the sea of red is coming from between your legs.

If your full name starts and ends with an "A" you might be a can.

lol I see what you did there. Anderson SilvA. Well played sir. =D> lulz could be Bigfoot, or Assuerio Silva.

Nah, those two may display can-like tendencies from time to time but Andy is the true can of the bunch.true dat hommie. what about Big Nog and Lil Nog, I went back and added them before you could comment.

If your full name starts and ends with an "A" you might be a can.

lol I see what you did there. Anderson SilvA. Well played sir. =D> lulz could be Bigfoot, or Assuerio Silva.

Nah, those two may display can-like tendencies from time to time but Andy is the true can of the bunch.true dat hommie. what about Big Nog and Lil Nog, I went back and added them before you could comment.

Maybe Lil Nog lol. He has a glass body like Cruz.

The word has evolved from simply meaning "a poor/mediocre fighter used to pad records" to a general insult. A fighter being called a "can" is like a mechanic or technician being called a "hack". It's used to impugn not only the individual but also the individual's capability in his/her field.

These guys are "cans" according to the classic definition:

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Kenneth-Allen-13050

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Shawn-Nolan-5080

Neither of the above are skilled fighters, but they've sure helped pad the records of many fighters in the past (obviously, since they have records of 1-34 and 6-46, respectively).

Now, calling someone a "can" (no one in the UFC is truly a can in the classic sense - cans would be relegated to smaller promotions) is basically the biggest insult you can use for a fighter. By calling someone a can, you're not only levying a personal insult against them, you're slamming their work inside the cage. It's the ultimate slur for MMA fighters (and boxers I guess, since the term is borrowed from that sport), and it gets used all the time on this forum.

So, to recap:

Can (classic definition): low skilled fighter used to pad other fighters' records

Can (modern definition): slur against mixed martial artists attacking them not only personally but professionally

wtf and they still fight lol

Archived