Sign in to follow this  
OzPride

Netflix vs Torrents?

I'm an avid torrent ripper. I just cannot see the benefit of Netflix or similar when everything is available at your fingertips and just so easy! So here's the question.

Which one do you prefer, and why??

Obviously not discussing downloading any UFC related material here this is strictly legal content (for arguements sake)

Torrents are illegal.

Incorrect. Torrents are most certainly NOT illegal. SOME of the CONTENT shared on torrents are in breach of privacy acts but sing a program like utorrent is certainly not.

The content you're talking about in this forum via torrents is illegal

this basically came from all the threads about netflix, nothing to do AT ALL with MMA / UFC

if it was to do with UFC please show me where on netflix I can get my hands on a UFC event

tv and movie torrents are illegal.

argh.

ok vote then - you honestly bore the life out of me

Netflix is good for your television if you don't have a good computer nearby it or if you watch things on your phone/tablet. Other than that there's no need. It is slightly easier though.

I have Amazon Prime which has some decent shows and movies but tbh on both Netflix and Amazon prime there's not much i haven't seen that im interested in.

I don't really torrent much anymore. I always got a virus so fast it wasn't really worth it. Plus I feel empowered when I actually purchase things. It kinda shows people I have money and can buy ****. I don't put stealing on the same level as downloading on the internet but the principles are the same. They have a product that they charge for and you are avoiding the charge but enjoying the very same product. If everyone torrented movies then they would no longer exist.

I guess my point is that it's sort of ironic that people download these movies because they enjoy them but when they don't purchase these movies it actually removes money that these companies can place into future movies that these people would also enjoy!

I will admit I used to torrent music but that really isn't necessary anymore due to Pandora. To answer your question I like Netflix more.

I think you answered your own question in the OP. There was really no need to make a thread or conduct a poll. Anybody educated on the subject of torrents knows that it's superior. Most people who use Netflix are either a) computer illiterate or B) anti-piracy.

I think you answered your own question in the OP. There was really no need to make a thread or conduct a poll. Anybody educated on the subject of torrents knows that it's superior. Most people who use Netflix are either a) computer illiterate or B) anti-piracy.

Why would a computer illiterate individual have a harder time downloading a torrent and downloading movies? If anything I would imagine Netflix would be more difficult to the average individual due to there is a payment involved.

Torrents have all you need. If you get a virus from them, learn a little, you should NEVER get viruses from torrents.

Why would a computer illiterate individual have a harder time downloading a torrent and downloading movies? If anything I would imagine Netflix would be more difficult to the average individual due to there is a payment involved.most new blu0ray players come with Netflix pre-installed with a Netflix button on the remote. If you think that's more advanced than torrents IDK what to tell you.

Torrents have all you need. If you get a virus from them, learn a little, you should NEVER get viruses from torrents.

Explain to me your full proof method to avoiding viruses while downloading torrents. Also you made sure to emphasize viruses specifically from torrents. What's something you would expect to get viruses from if not torrents? They are the worst for viruses.. you are downloading from a source that you have no idea who the **** it is. Even establishing that connection for a matter of seconds can allow this individual to access your computer.

Why would a computer illiterate individual have a harder time downloading a torrent and downloading movies? If anything I would imagine Netflix would be more difficult to the average individual due to there is a payment involved.most new blu0ray players come with Netflix pre-installed with a Netflix button on the remote. If you think that's more advanced than torrents IDK what to tell you.

Yes I'm sure that modern people that still are computer illiterate have Blue ray players at the top of their priority list.

Yes I'm sure that modern people that still are computer illiterate have Blue ray players at the top of their priority list.after reading your reply to @chons it's apparent that you're being argumentative and you really have no earthly idea what you are talking about.

Yes I'm sure that modern people that still are computer illiterate have Blue ray players at the top of their priority list.after reading your reply to @chons it's apparent that you're being argumentative and you really have no earthly idea what you are talking about.

I do enjoy how you are in no way showing a counter "argument" rather just throwing out little side points that prove just about nothing except for your lack of ability to have a conversation like an adult. If you only you could torrent that from your blue ray player.

I like how you both are making points but wont explain them.

Explain to me your full proof method to avoiding viruses while downloading torrents. Also you made sure to emphasize viruses specifically from torrents. What's something you would expect to get viruses from if not torrents? They are the worst for viruses.. you are downloading from a source that you have no idea who the **** it is. Even establishing that connection for a matter of seconds can allow this individual to access your computer.

he's right with a small amount of research and using the right sites / uploaders, an knowing what type of file you're downloading its near impossible to fall for viruses. Any VPS worth it's price tag or if its free its popularity will catch a bug inside a torrent in seconds.

The main reason I raised the topic is we don't have Netflix here in Oz. well you CAN get it but you need a fake US / UK account to use it. We have foster with movies on demand and a few other options but to get shows as soon as they're ready we have no choice but to download them. If our networks or providers had the Channels we wanted (AMG, HBO) then we probably wouldn't need to rip.

Having said THAT most of us probably still would lol

and to the argument that downloading movies stops the filmmakers from making more films, that's rubbish. The 'box office' is movie ticket prices, which are insanely expensive already.

Most movies use theater ticket sales to pay the bills and create hype and then make most of their profit off of Blu Ray sales/rentals. Movies that are blockbusters and make a ton of money in theaters are a very small percentage of the movies released in a year. So yes downloading torrents does effect how many movies are released and also the quality of production that can go into them.

A. Anti-virus

B. Only download from trusted up-loaders. The site that I get my torrents from places an icon next to the up-loaders who are trustworthy and always upload the best content.

Someone mentioned quality, the beauty of torrents is that you can (usually), choose the quality that you want to download. If it's just some show that you don't care about, get so-so quality in a small file that dl's in about a minute. Want blue ray quality? People upload image rips that are essentially blue ray discs.

BTW, **** paying for anything unless it's something that is important/important to you, or the money goes to someone who TRULY needs it.

A. Anti-virus

B. Only download from trusted up-loaders. The site that I get my torrents from places an icon next to the up-loaders who are trustworthy and always upload the best content.

Someone mentioned quality, the beauty of torrents is that you can (usually), choose the quality that you want to download. If it's just some show that you don't care about, get so-so quality in a small file that dl's in about a minute. Want blue ray quality? People upload image rips that are essentially blue ray discs.

if @thesoulpower was educated on the subject you wouldn't have to lecture him/her on quality/security/uploader reputation. Myself and @ozpride agree with you.

and I agree with @juice64011 you're absolutely right about piracy driving down production and frequency of big budget films. Am I sorry about it? Hell no, I'm not going to apologize for it.

I'm as guilty as anyone else for illegal downloads but to act like it doesn't have a drastic effect on the music/movie business is just asinine.

It goes much farther than the big screen too. Game of Thrones has to actually alter its storyline and cut out fight sequences to stay under budget. It is the most illegally downloaded show on tv two years running. Estimates are that 5.5 million people watch GOT every week and 5.9 million illegally download it. If half of those people start paying for the HBO service then the GOT budget could increase and they wouldn't have to cut anything out.

I'm as guilty as anyone else for illegal downloads but to act like it doesn't have a drastic effect on the music/movie business is just asinine.

It goes much farther than the big screen too. Game of Thrones has to actually alter its storyline and cut out fight sequences to stay under budget. It is the most illegally downloaded show on tv two years running. Estimates are that 5.5 million people watch GOT every week and 5.9 million illegally download it. If half of those people start paying for the HBO service then the GOT budget could increase and they wouldn't have to cut anything out.

GoT is one of the major things that I buy because of stuff like this.

there is literally no way to get GOT in Australia on the same day it's out without downloading it

what they should do then is put it on their website or youtube and then put Ads on that ****

dude you should see some of the content that goes up there

i mean its got everything. even your daily news. that is...if you prefer getting your new

lmfao

i didnt know you could get a virus from opening a music or video file

this is all news to me. now if youre downloading torrents containing executable files or scripts, than yeah you could pick up all kinds of nasty **** if you open stuff that you shouldnt. but most multimedia related torrents in general are safe.

who cares about piracy driving down production in films? heres an idea. make a good movie that doesnt suck. try to make its success run off itself, rather than riding off the reputation of the movie before it, and expecting it to make you a tonne of money. maybe more people will buy it, rather than tell their buddy 'hey i just seen that movie last week and it sucked. it had a bunch of hollywood women in space screaming and cleaning the canada arm and stuff on the space ship. dont waste your time with that two hour cheesefest :"

people will be more compelled to buy something thats fresh and new and looks appealing. dont put the blame on torrents when you cant understand why the 10th rehash of american pie or friday the 13th isnt making as much as the original, and sales are dropping year after year from your high budget films.

hell in years i cant even remember the last movie i seen that had me on my seat the entire time, or had me wishing i would have seen it at a theater. the last two movies i looked forward to even watching was the hangover 3 and fast and furious, and even those were predictable stinkers. django unchained was the only movie all year that was actually rather well done. but these days its all sequels trying to piggyback off the success off the last film. if youre gonna do that at least give me like another half baked or shawshank redemption kind of spinoff. how many more american pie's do we need?

and they wonder why the sales plummet? its not solely because of more people torrenting. its because most of the crap they are shovelling out lately is all garbage, and not worth buying in the first place. id feel ripped off if i had to pay for any of the crap thats been shelfed out there in the last few years. you wont catch me in any theaters any time soon because all they are putting out is typical cheesy hollywood trash.

he's right with a small amount of research and using the right sites / uploaders, an knowing what type of file you're downloading its near impossible to fall for viruses. Any VPS worth it's price tag or if its free its popularity will catch a bug inside a torrent in seconds.

The main reason I raised the topic is we don't have Netflix here in Oz. well you CAN get it but you need a fake US / UK account to use it. We have foster with movies on demand and a few other options but to get shows as soon as they're ready we have no choice but to download them. If our networks or providers had the Channels we wanted (AMG, HBO) then we probably wouldn't need to rip.

and to the argument that downloading movies stops the filmmakers from making more films, that's rubbish. The 'box office' is movie ticket prices, which are insanely expensive already.

my friend who moved to Australia told me a cinema ticket over would work out to nearly £18 over here is that right or was she telling me lies?

my friend who moved to Australia told me a cinema ticket over would work out to nearly £18 over here is that right or was she telling me lies?

A ticket plus popcorn and I drink would easily crack £20 but film itself is about $20 (£10ish)

164d263f_ibxFWGla38dwbC.gif

164d263f_ibxFWGla38dwbC.gif

For TV and stuff, Netflix is the last I use. I prefer Xfinity online for the few shows i do like, and they have better shows and a way better layout. If I want a movie that's kind of obscure, not on demand, or just wanna watch it right now, i torrent. Veetle can be fun, too... depending on who is broadcasting. I used to broadcast random shows and mivie files on Veetle just for the ---- of it- might as well have it going in the background so you can hook someone else up, right? Veetle has really taken a dump over the past year or 2 tho. Hulu, i don't mess with. n Ive actually found that Googling directly for a show is most effective. Like, if you wanna watch episode three of season two of breaking bad, type in 'breaking bad s02e03'. It's magic.