Would MLK not want me to go to school?

BruteDion

I don't know man...schools shut down today in honor of MLK

But is that really something he would want?

Don't get me wrong...if there ever was a person to honor it was him but I just think denying me and others another day to go to college or highschool or etc. I think does him a discredit

I think he would want people to be able to learn on a day for him

What you guys think...I have been sitting at home thinking bout this

Sometimes we take things to far to honor people and maybe go against what that person was fighting for you know

A day off is respectful no doubt but in hindsight nobody takes it for what it truly stands for.

I truly believe society going to ****.

Can you expand more on what you mean by society going to ****? Im not baiting or anything just an honest question.

I'll be honest and say there's not much evidence to support what im saying but...

I feel that values in general are at a all time low, today's trends and media sucks, i find hating almost everything that's "mainstream." Politics and our government are at a all time low due to the media .

Also feel social media and electronics, although improves our lives, hinders what would be a normal experience. Nobody just takes a moment for what it is anymore, you gotta tweet about it right away or facebook or video tape it or instagram. **** all that. Just enjoy the moment.

It even comes to a point where im disgusted by a lot of it.

Overall we may have easier lives than back then but everyone just seems to take that for granted.

Don't mean to send this off topic though.

A day off is respectful no doubt but in hindsight nobody takes it for what it truly stands for.

Can you expand more on what you mean by society going to ****? Im not baiting or anything just an honest question.

I'll be honest and say there's not much evidence to support what im saying but...

I feel that values in general are at a all time low, today's trends and media sucks, i find hating almost everything that's "mainstream." Politics and our government are at a all time low due to the media .

Also feel social media and electronics, although improves our lives, hinders what would be a normal experience. Nobody just takes a moment for what it is anymore, you gotta tweet about it right away or facebook or video tape it or instagram. **** all that. Just enjoy the moment.

Overall we may have easier lives than back then but everyone just seems to take that for granted.

Sure I don't mind my thread being high jacked @BJJnoob...I kid it's cool

SN43 I just don't view it quite like that but I can agree in why you would view it that way

No 2 generations next to eachother have the same values...I'm sure that even the greatest generation had people in the older generation against them in many ways

Just how America was just exploding on the world stage there was a lot of the older people who saying "no be isolated"...that just one example of the chsnging of culture

So i don't really buy into the ideal that any genaration lacks values when compared to the next...it's just we have different values all around

For example my father is married to a women he hates and they no longer are together but they will not get a divorce cuz they believe that is wrong but they clearly do not love eachother

I don't want to get married at all...nor do I wait to have sex with a women and if I wanted a kid I don't plan to marry just cuz of it

Some would say in my dad's generation would say he has more values then I do...I don't think that's the case at all...I just live by different ones then him

SN43 I just don't view it quite like that but I can agree in why you would view it that way

No 2 generations next to eachother have the same values...I'm sure that even the greatest generation had people in the older generation against them in many ways

Just how America was just exploding on the world stage there was a lot of the older people who saying "no be isolated"...that just one example of the chsnging of culture

So i don't really buy into the ideal that any genaration lacks values when compared to the next...it's just we have different values all around

For example my father is married to a women he hates and they no longer are together but they will not get a divorce cuz they believe that is wrong but they clearly do not love eachother

I don't want to get married at all...nor do I wait to have sex with a women and if I wanted a kid I don't plan to marry just cuz of it

Some would say in my dad's generation would say he has more values then I do...I don't think that's the case at all...I just live by different ones then him

I see where you're coming from and i do take the generation gaps into effect....

but just to clarify, when i say values im not talking about personal values, because honestly, if you're not harming anyone else do whatever the **** you want. Im talking about the values that people put out into the society. the values that the media accepts and in some ways promotes.

A quick example would be twerking. Its just so trashy to me and you literally have kids out there doing these sort of things.

I see where you're coming from and i do take the generation gaps into effect....

but just to clarify, when i say values im not talking about personal values, because honestly, if you're not harming anyone else do whatever the **** you want. Im talking about the values that people put out into the society. the values that the media accepts and in some ways promotes.

A quick example would be twerking. Its just so trashy to me and you literally have kids out there doing these sort of things.

That's what I mean...you view twerking as bad...people back in the day viewed the dancing done during rock and roll as bad

Look at Elvis...people said his dancing was the devils work...kids danced like Elvis and other rock and roll styles made the grown ups at the time pissed

It's just the times moving on man...I know if I had kids their values will someday not be mine someday and so on and so on

We have to understand that the next generation will be their own and live their own lives

Just look at how much if my people love weed...**** 20 years ago people would not even think America would even come close to allow weed be legal...look at today... Times change...people change...values change...it's the world dude

You have to remember that when King grew up black kids could not go to the same schools as white kids. Black schools were poorly funded, poorly run and poorly attended. This was a major cog in the wheels that keep the N-words down as they say. King biggest fight was for what was then called desegregation - forcing white schools to let black students in. People (black) died over this issue for decades and decades.

So would MLK want black kids to take a day off school in his honour? Probably not. But as a remembrance of what it took to get them into those schools I think he would understand and support it.

Archived