Sign in to follow this  
SavageTC

the worlds 85 richest now worth as much as 3.5 billion poorest

The poorest half of the world’s population—that’s 3.5 billion people—control as much wealth as the richest 85 individuals.

On the eve of World Economic Forum, when the global elite gather in Davos, Switzerland, to forecast international trends, Oxfam has released a new report, “Working for the Few,”documenting yawning global wealth disparities. Other findings:

•The world’s richest 1 percent control nearly 50 percent of global wealth.

•In 24 out of 26 countries studied, the richest 1 percent has increased their share of national wealth since 1980.

•Only three in 10 people live in countries where economic inequality has not increased over the past three decades.

•In the U.S., 95 percent of post-financial crash wealth generated (i.e., since 2009) went into the bank accounts of the richest 1 percent.

•Nine in 10 people in the United States control less wealth in real terms than they did before the financial crash.

Quoting former U.S. Supreme Court Justice Louis Brandeis—“We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of the few, but we cannot have both”—the report argues that further concentration of wealth and power “presents a significant threat to inclusive political and economic systems.” The upshot could be “heightening social tensions and increasing the risk of societal breakdown.”

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-01-20/the-worlds-85-richest-now-worth-as-much-as-3-dot-5-billion-poorest

That's very fascinating, It's sort of a double edged sword for me. I don't feel it's right they have this much money but on the other side I really don't think it's right to punish them for being successful.

I'm going to take life insurance policies on those 3.5 billion people.

I brought up this subject before (The Walmart Family has wealth equal to half of America), but the forum says everybody has the same opportunity to get that rich.

Pretty sad but some of those statistics don't add up for me like...

"The world’s richest 1 percent control nearly 50 percent of global wealth"

and i didn't read the article but did it take into consideration all the people that have nothing or just the employed?

and i didn't read the article but did it take into consideration all the people that have nothing or just the employed?

They weren't just comparing the employed, they meant all people.

man they are talking about the 1%. if you don't know what the 1% is, you need to Google it. I could sit here and talk to you all day about it. It goes back to the original Roman Catholic families that have controlled economics for thousands of years.

Because we now live in a global economy you have to remember some countries currencies are worth next to nothing compared to the US dollar, or the Euro etc.

Basically half the people in the world were born in third world/developing countries and are worth nothing more than slave labor to the wealthy few, who get rich of the rest of us

the average person lives on $1.00 a day is the expression right? I spend like $150 a day and I'm probably on the very lower end of Americans. So that means a lot of people are living on 99 cents or less a day.

man they are talking about the 1%. if you don't know what the 1% is, you need to Google it. I could sit here and talk to you all day about it. It goes back to the original Roman Catholic families that have controlled economics for thousands of years.

Because we now live in a global economy you have to remember some countries currencies are worth next to nothing compared to the US dollar, or the Euro etc.

Basically half the people in the world were born in third world/developing countries and are worth nothing more than slave labor to the wealthy few, who get rich of the rest of us

lol i know what the 1% is. My herp is still catching up to my derp this morning, i misread a statistic.

I'm very surprised the whole world hasn't entered into an economic depression. Most of our money isn't even "real" If we all went to banks and tried to withdraw our money the result would be only like a third of us would get our money. The rest of the money is "cyber money"!

Edit: I guess when you really think about it..... Is any money really "Real". Our current Dollar is simply cotton with a print on it and we are told it is worth something. At least when currency was backed with Gold if worst came to worst you would walk away at the end of the day with a precious gold that serves a lot of purposes.

I brought up this subject before (The Walmart Family has wealth equal to half of America), but the forum says everybody has the same opportunity to get that rich.

A complete fantasy.

When you are dealing with the very wealthy the majority of it is inherited.

I am honestly surprised that it takes 85 of the richest to equal the other 3.5 billion. I would have guessed about 50 richest. It's a sad statistic either way.

If I had 5 million dollars, I wouldn't be able to spend it all in my entire life (I don't care to live extravagantly), and that would be peanuts to a stupidly rich individual.

On the other side of that, even $10,000 could be life changing to the average American, to say nothing of what it could do for someone in a very poor country.

I love money, seriously.

this

you can't hate on the rich for being rich

Floyd-Mayweather-Jr-All-White-Car-Collection.jpg

No but you can hate them for making it easier for them to make a million then they make it for you

I never hate a person making money

I hate the person making it hard for me to make money

Ok they got all the damn money...it's happened

Good for them... Not let's make ways so we can all join that club

And if anyone tries to stop us who is I'm the club we burn them down

That's how I look at it

I want in the rich man club...most people do...but when the members of that club make if hard for me to join is when I get mad

That's how I look at it

I want in the rich man club...most people do...but when the members of that club make if hard for me to join is when I get mad

GOATweather is self made

anybody can start boxing and become champion and make the millions he does......its just very likely you will fail

I love money, seriously.

this

No but you can hate them for making it easier for them to make a million then they make it for you

That would be the government.

That's how I look at it

Just get rid of the money, then we can all be a part of the club.

I love money, seriously.

this

That would be the government.

Won't deny that...but it's also the rich who influences the govt to do that **** aswell

I wonder how many of these 85 people have government ties or in the govt

I love money, seriously.

this

I agree that hating on an individual who has succeeded financially is stupid.

But does living is a system where less than 1% people have complete control of the majority of the worlds resources make you feel warm and fuzzy inside?

Because frankly it makes me feel sick....

Dont hate the playa, hate the game as they say.