Texas executes Mexican citizen

UFCCagerattler

In Texas they don't care where the brown people come from, they'll execute them.

Texas executes Mexican citizen who killed police officer

Edgar Tamayo Arias is executed for the 1994 killing of a Houston police officer. Mexican officials and U.S. Secretary of State John F. Kerry had asked that the case be reviewed.

By Molly Hennessy-Fiske

January 22, 2014, 9:52 p.m.

HOUSTON — Texas executed a Mexican citizen late Wednesday despite objections from Mexico, a former Texas governor and U.S. Secretary of State John F. Kerry.

Edgar Tamayo Arias, 46, was put to death at 9:32 p.m. Central time for killing a Houston police officer in 1994, according to Jason Clark, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. Tamayo made no last statement, Clark said.

Tamayo's attorneys fought until the last minute to save his life, appealing to the U.S. Supreme Court for a stay of execution. It was denied. They argued that Tamayo had been deprived of his rights because, as a foreign citizen, he should have been informed of his right to diplomatic assistance under an international treaty known as the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations.

Tamayo's lawyers turned to the high court after the U.S. 5th Circuit Court of Appeals rejected their appeal that Tamayo was developmentally disabled, mentally ill and ineligible for execution.

"If he had had the assistance of the Mexican Consulate at the time of trial, Mr. Tamayo would never have been sentenced to death," his attorneys, Sandra Bab**** and Maurie Levin, said in a statement after the Supreme Court refused to grant a stay. "This case was not just about one Mexican national on death row in Texas. The execution of Mr. Tamayo violates the United States' treaty commitments, threatens the nation's foreign policy interests, and undermines the safety of all Americans abroad."

Earlier this week, the state parole board denied Tamayo's request for clemency.

Tamayo was put to death for shooting Officer Guy Gaddis, 24, who had been with the department for two years. His wife was expecting their first child.

Senior Houston Police Officer Ray Hunt, president of the Houston Police Officers' Union, was outside the death chamber in Huntsville on Wednesday with about 20 other officers, some in uniform. Several knew Gaddis, he said.

As Gaddis' mother, two brothers, sister-in-law and uncle entered to witness the execution, they shook the officers' hands and thanked them, Hunt said.

Clark said Gaddis' mother thanked the officers again after the execution.

"We believe that Mr. Tamayo got every right guaranteed to him as any person who was here legally," Hunt said, adding that the execution was "as much justice as the family can get."

Mexican officials had petitioned the U.S. government on Tamayo's behalf, including Foreign Secretary Jose Antonio Meade and Ambassador to the U.S. Eduardo Medina Mora.

Former Texas governor and attorney general Mark White, a Democrat, also backed a review of Tamayo's case.

Kerry wrote to Texas officials last fall urging a reconsideration of Tamayo's execution.

"I have no reason to doubt the facts of Mr. Tamayo's conviction, and as a former prosecutor, I have no sympathy for anyone who would murder a police officer," Kerry wrote. But he added that he was concerned the state's handling of the case could affect the way Americans are treated overseas.

The controversy dates back at least 10 years, when the United Nations' International Court of Justice, also known as the World Court, ordered the United States to reconsider the convictions of 51 Mexicans, including Tamayo, who had been sent to death row without being informed of their consular rights.

Counting Tamayo, three of the 51 have since been executed, all in Texas. Tamayo's execution was the first in Texas this year.

The 32 states with capital punishment have executed 28 foreign nationals since the death penalty was reinstated in 1976, according to the Washington-based Death Penalty Information Center.

Texas has executed 509 prisoners since it started using lethal injection in 1982, more than any other state. Twenty other foreign nationals remain on Texas death row, including 11 Mexicans.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-texas-execution-20140123,0,4072416.story#ixzz2rHIpgfmO

If I go to Mexico and murder a cop, I'll be expecting to get the same treatment. This is a non issue.

This^^

Mind you.. I'm afraid to go to Texas and accidentally twist my ankle and walk with a limp.. they may throw me on the electric chair for being crippled..lol @wesleywells1

So I take it everyone is ok with this American being out to death in Iran if the re-trial proves guilt?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amir_Mirza_Hekmati

Oh lawd LoL

Yeah...see my point

I'm fine with people saying "you commit a crime in another country then you pay the price" when it comes to a foreigner in our nation

But most are such hypocrites where they don't accept the same thing when it's an American being tried

So I take it everyone is ok with this American being out to death in Iran if the re-trial proves guilt?

Oh lawd LoL

Yeah...see my point

I'm fine with people saying "you commit a crime in another country then you pay the price" when it comes to a foreigner in our nation

But most are such hypocrites where they don't accept the same thing when it's an American being tried

You are comparing a person that went to another country

To a person that went to another country and murdered someone

It's apples and oranges

Oh lawd LoL

Yeah...see my point

It's apples and oranges

No I'm not...I'm just holding it in context

To there nation being a spy is the same a killing someone it seems (their law)

And their punishment is death (their law)

Now I'm not saying I think he would be killed...in fact I don't think that Mexican should have been killed either...but it's not my choice, nor my point

People justify the Mexicans death by saying "respect the nations laws"...so I'm applying their same logic to this man who did the same thing in not respecting their laws

That's what I'm saying....so I'm comparing apples with apples

Oh lawd LoL

Yeah...see my point

It's apples and oranges

Now I'm not saying I think he would be killed...in fact I don't think that Mexican should have been killed either...but it's not my choice, nor my point

People justify the Mexicans death by saying "respect the nations laws"...so I'm applying their same logic to this man who did the same thing in not respecting their laws

Ah, I see what you're saying now

The people saying "respect the laws" and "they should be accountable for their actions in that country" wouldn't feel the same way about the gentleman in the link above

I agree

In that aspect, yes its apples to apples

I think the whole story is a fake. Everyone knows that Texas has the death penalty. No one is going to murder any one there. That's the whole idea of the death penalty in the first place.

Oh lawd LoL

Yeah...see my point

It's apples and oranges

To many millions of people this would mean every US soldier.

I think the whole story is a fake. Everyone knows that Texas has the death penalty. No one is going to murder any one there. That's the whole idea of the death penalty in the first place.

Oh lawd LoL

Yeah...see my point

It's apples and oranges

Oh shut up, you've never even served

Oh lawd LoL

Yeah...see my point

It's apples and oranges

Was this guy an actual spy? Or was he an American that happened to be in Iran?

Oh lawd LoL

Yeah...see my point

It's apples and oranges

Our soldiers go to other countries and kill all sorts of people.

So I guess its okay when they catch them and drag their bodies through the streets and so on.

Oh lawd LoL

Yeah...see my point

It's apples and oranges

Our soldiers go to other countries and kill all sorts of people.

So I guess its okay when they catch them and drag their bodies through the streets and so on.

Sure

Here's a basic summary of how how the law is enforced here in Texas. Murder- death penalty. Robbery- death penalty. DWI- death penalty. Disturbing the peace- death penalty. Speeding ticket- death penalty. Jaywalking- oh, you bet your **** that's worthy of the death penalty.

Lmao ^^

Oh lawd LoL

Yeah...see my point

It's apples and oranges

I remember an article saying he confessed to being a spy but he was lied to by the CIA in what they would use the info he gave them for

He went to trial recanted his confession but was convicted and sentanced to death

But he applied im the ruling...but much to my shock and I'm sure urs aswell on thing Iran courts have right is that they also have a dual system about judging guilt...he may factual be guilty (his confession) but he may not be legally guilty (process of the courts to prove guilt)

Using this in his appeal the courts ruled that the conviction was done wrong so he was granted a re-trial

And now he's waiting

My point is based of if he is convicted again...and if so would everyone who justified the Mexicans death with the logic of "respect the host nations laws" would also apply them to this man

He's pretty lucky the Iran courts are better and more like that of America then one would think lol

And since Texas has the death penalty we all know that no crimes get committed there. Because the death penalty is such a huge deterrent.

Ur correct but it's not that bad....Texas ranks 15th in terms of violate crimes...it's the system they adopt in think

The conservative style of criminal justice does not deter crime at all...In fact if cares little in detering crime...it's even in the definition of Conservative criminal justice that it cares little to deter crime

It's a style the cares more on the effectiveness in processing criminals and solving crimes

States like Vermont which is 48th I think cares more about stopping crimes from even happening to begin with

Finding a crime-catching a criminal-sentence said criminal...is to basic and does not stop crime at all...and states like Texas do not see this

Oh lawd LoL

Yeah...see my point

It's apples and oranges

I remember an article saying he confessed to being a spy but he was lied to by the CIA in what they would use the info he gave them for

He went to trial recanted his confession but was convicted and sentanced to death

But he applied im the ruling...but much to my shock and I'm sure urs aswell on thing Iran courts have right is that they also have a dual system about judging guilt...he may factual be guilty (his confession) but he may not be legally guilty (process of the courts to prove guilt)

Using this in his appeal the courts ruled that the conviction was done wrong so he was granted a re-trial

And now he's waiting

My point is based of if he is convicted again...and if so would everyone who justified the Mexicans death with the logic of "respect the host nations laws" would also apply them to this man

He's pretty lucky the Iran courts are better and more like that of America then one would think lol

Well if he was caught spying, he knew what he signed up for. Might sound callous, but we have put people to death for spying here as well.

Oh lawd LoL

Yeah...see my point

It's apples and oranges

And now he's waiting

Well if he was caught spying, he knew what he signed up for. Might sound callous, but we have put people to death for spying here as well.

Well I'm glad you view it that way and that's the point I wanted to make

While my views is he should not die nor should that Mexican should have...my point is the most common justification of the death of the Mexican can be applied to some of the Americans overseas but some want to admit it

And since Texas has the death penalty we all know that no crimes get committed there. Because the death penalty is such a huge deterrent.

Ur correct but it's not that bad....Texas ranks 15th in terms of violate crimes...it's the system they adopt in think

The conservative style of criminal justice does not deter crime at all...In fact if cares little in detering crime...it's even in the definition of Conservative criminal justice that it cares little to deter crime

It's a style the cares more on the effectiveness in processing criminals and solving crimes

States like Vermont which is 48th I think cares more about stopping crimes from even happening to begin with

Finding a crime-catching a criminal-sentence said criminal...is to basic and does not stop crime at all...and states like Texas do not see this

The chances of ever getting caught for most crime is almost zero.Being found guilty is even more unlikely. Being sentenced to death is unlikelier still. Of course if you're not white the odds of all those eventualities is much higher.

The part of this story that nobody mentions is the 20 years they took to shoot him, or whatever they do in Texas.

20 years to carry out the ruling?

The chances of ever getting caught for most crime is almost zero.Being found guilty is even more unlikely. Being sentenced to death is unlikelier still. Of course if you're not white the odds of all those eventualities is much higher.

The part of this story that nobody mentions is the 20 years they took to shoot him, or whatever they do in Texas.

20 years to carry out the ruling?

I think the current clearance rate is bout 20% meaning that only 20% of all existing crimes get solved then a person is punished for it

Course some crimes have better rates then 20%...I'm just speaking all crime

Just think of how many times a person can smoke weed in a state where it's illegal be4 they get caught...it's a lot

If you take an innocent man's life, you deserve yours taken. I really don't a **** about this dude's life. As far as the double standard for the American in Iran, I don't understand the relation.

It's geared to the people who justify the Mexicans death with the logic "respect host nations laws"...the American didn't respect Irans laws and was sentenced to death (he gets a retrial now)

That's all I was doing

Because you specified your justification was due to the fact the Mexican killed another human being nulls my point in terms of ur involvement with it

Now if the Iran courts had proof that the Americans actions lead to the death of innocent Iran citizens then I would make this point aimed at you...but they didn't

So I respect ur stance on the issue

If you take an innocent man's life, you deserve yours taken. I really don't a **** about this dude's life. As far as the double standard for the American in Iran, I don't understand the relation.

It's geared to the people who justify the Mexicans death with the logic "respect host nations laws"...the American didn't respect Irans laws and was sentenced to death (he gets a retrial now)

That's all I was doing

Because you specified your justification was due to the fact the Mexican killed another human being nulls my point in terms of ur involvement with it

Now if the Iran courts had proof that the Americans actions lead to the death of innocent Iran citizens then I would make this point aimed at you...but they didn't

So I respect ur stance on the issue

The Iranians (for one) have proof beyond all measure that American actions killed innocent Iranian citizens.

You were sounding like you were making sense and then you weren't

The comparison is complete bs because Iran is a backward culture. They kill women by stoning just because a husband makes claims she cheated on him. That's enough proof to bash someone's skull in over there.

If they sentense a fellow civilised human being to death ovet there it means about as much as a young child pulling the wings of a fly.

The comparison is complete bs because Iran is a backward culture. They kill women by stoning just because a husband makes claims she cheated on him. That's enough proof to bash someone's skull in over there.

If they sentense a fellow civilised human being to death ovet there it means about as much as a young child pulling the wings of a fly.

Iran is a backward culture therefore we can o there and kill any one we want.

Brilliant.

Iran is a backward culture therefore we can o there and kill any one we want.

Brilliant.

Where in my post did you read that again? What I'm saying is that a trial in the civilised world is an actual trial where you are innocent untill proven guilty. People don't get found innocent on the charge of rape over here because the judge thinks it might have been possible the victim could have enjoyed herself. They have that in India btw. And again, they murder women in Iran after staged trials because husbands fancy someone else.

Any foreigner sentenced to death in a country like Iran didn't get a actual trial where a thorough and structured investigation took place to actually establish guilt.

Therefore the earlier comparison is bs.

Yes they should all get fair trials like black people here do.

You continue to out due yourself in the "making retarded comments" department. I applaud your efforts and continued determination to be the worst poster on this forum.

You continue to out due yourself in the "making retarded comments" department. I applaud your efforts and continued determination to be the worst poster on this forum.

And you continue to pile up the "worst speller in third grade" points.

I'd rather misspell a word here and there, than post some of the **** that creeps up in your brain.

12er definitely appears to be much more intelligent even with a typo here and there.

I'd rather misspell a word here and there, than post some of the **** that creeps up in your brain.

12er definitely appears to be much more intelligent even with a typo here and there.

Yes not knowing the usage of the word "do" and using words like "retarded" is a sure fire way to make many boy friends Fan Boy Land.

Yes not knowing the usage of the word "do" and using words like "retarded" is a sure fire way to make many boy friends Fan Boy Land.

Prime example.

lol stfu you hipster.

I could post a three page list of stupid **** you have posted off the top of my head.

Archived